PDA

View Full Version : 1250 Chracian themed High Elf

nasty_little_hobbit
19-10-2009, 15:52
Im considering starting a new army and after reading through most of the army books ive come to the conclusion that I either want a Wood Elf army or a Chracian themed High Elf one.
My opponents mainly use a balanced Empire, Orcs and Tomb Kings army so Im not looking for a 'cheesy' or unsporting list, just one that is balanced and fun to play with.
With that in mind here is my potential Chracian themed army lead by Korhil himself.

Korhil= 140
Mage- level 2, jewel of dusk=150
10 archers= 110
17 spearmen-full command=178
14 white lions- =210
6 lion princes of chrace =180
Lion chariot=140
Repeater bolt thrower=100
Eagle=50
=1248

Concept of the army is pretty simple. Korhil will join the Spearmen giving me a solid centre with two stubborn units. Lion princes( dragon princes) and the chariot will take the flanks and the eagle for baiting etc.
Although Im only running one mage, its likely that my opponent will also be running two characters max and so 3dd at best.
Also it should be fairly cheap ( for a high elf army at least) as all Ill need is a battalion, 20 white lions and a lion chariot.
Advice, criticisms welcome.

Desert Rain
19-10-2009, 16:41
At this level you will be fine with just one mage. Otherwise I think that it is a solid list. You've got you hammers and your anvils (that sounded a bit to dwarfish for my liking...) anyway, I don't have that much to add really.

yarrickson
19-10-2009, 23:27
No criticisms to make. That's a good solid army. 1250 is a strange value but whatever you guys like?

Always good to see an army with a theme. Hope it goes well for you.

nasty_little_hobbit
21-10-2009, 14:27
Cheers for the kind words.
Concerning the points value we find that 1250 points allows for a reasonable lengthed game and also it seems to remove the importance placed on characters. At both 1250 and 1000pts youll likely be facing 2 chracters but at this value you have that extra 250 to be put towards troops, which makes it feel more like an army.

I also forgot to mention in my original post that when facing Tomb Kings I will remove one of the lion princes so that I can give my White Lions the Lion banner. I dont want them running away just because they fluff there attacks and are beaten by 20 skeleton warriors and I forgot to spend a small amount of points to stop this happenin.
Secondly, do people think Korhil is worth it? He seems brilliant on paper allowing my spearmen to be stubborn but should I just go for a normal noble and buff up some of my existing units?

static grass
21-10-2009, 14:47
I think 1250 points makes for a meaty 1000point game.

I think Korhil is worth it at this scale. He doesnt just make them stubbon he also has that dirty great axe with him too. He makes a good leader for a Chracian force. Good luck with the lion knights.

I too like to think that Ulthuan is scattered with lots of elite units and that the ones in the book are basically achetypes. For example take swordmasters and rename them "guardians of vaul's anvil" in a Caledor army.

puppetmaster24
21-10-2009, 15:08
drop the warriors and get another unit of 10 archers and spent the excess on more lions and put korhil in that unit.
Reasoning: warriors are not that good for the cost.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
21-10-2009, 20:59
Im considering starting a new army and after reading through most of the army books ive come to the conclusion that I either want a Wood Elf army or a Chracian themed High Elf one.
My opponents mainly use a balanced Empire, Orcs and Tomb Kings army so Im not looking for a 'cheesy' or unsporting list, just one that is balanced and fun to play with.
With that in mind here is my potential Chracian themed army lead by Korhil himself.

Korhil= 140
Mage- level 2, jewel of dusk=150
10 archers= 110
17 spearmen-full command=178
14 white lions- =210
6 lion princes of chrace =180
Lion chariot=140
Repeater bolt thrower=100
Eagle=50
=1248

Concept of the army is pretty simple. Korhil will join the Spearmen giving me a solid centre with two stubborn units. Lion princes( dragon princes) and the chariot will take the flanks and the eagle for baiting etc.
Although Im only running one mage, its likely that my opponent will also be running two characters max and so 3dd at best.
Also it should be fairly cheap ( for a high elf army at least) as all Ill need is a battalion, 20 white lions and a lion chariot.
Advice, criticisms welcome.

I like the list. Just find a way to get in banner of sorcery. Then you will have a dynamite magic phase in a small game. Might want to take a silver wand to make it reach its full potential.
It would be sooo cool to actually have lion cavalry (just an anecdote) I was thinking about how cool it would look to have a unit of lion knights. Use the chariot lions silver helm knight legs and the chariot white lions guys. Those would be sooo boom! If you were to actually give them corresponding stats you could make them like 50 pts a models as they would be 3 S5 attacks each :P. I know you are using dragon princes but you seem to like chrace and maybe you could do that for house games.

Good luck I like the list.

thrawn
21-10-2009, 21:07
if you want lion cavalry try ordering these!

http://www.the2blackdragons.com/ebay_minis/h_elfen/helden/HE_held_beritten1_2.jpg

ridiculously expensive, but man are they nice!

nasty_little_hobbit
22-10-2009, 23:26
Concerning your view on the usefulness of spearmen, I have to say I would disagree with you. Yes, certanly compared to the other troop choices available to High elves, spearmen are somewhat lacking and in most average 2000pts list have little place in the army other than mandatory core fillers or in the case of a themed force however you see to fail to direction of both army composition, my opponents army and fundementaly, the nature of a lower point match.
Swapping them for archers+ more white lions would both limit the versatility of the army, reduce the bonuses Korhil provides, eg stubborn to a non stubborn unit and increase the cost of an already expensive unit for this point size.
Secondly, against the main armies Ill be facing spearmen are most likely to be the most cost effective with dealing with mass amount of goblins, spearmen and state troops coming up against me. The large amount of attacks will be perfect with dealing with light armoured troops and anything heavily armoured, such as knights will just get the attention of my white lions + bolt thrower.
Sorry for the litttle rant and thank you for the suggestion, I just dont want too much of a reliance on shooting.
Concering the other points, I defiantely would like to include the banner of sorcery, the other problem is finding the points. I surpose reducing the white lions and lion princes is an option.
I did think of that idea ( lion mounts) and think ill try it. Possibly 55points with sutbborn, 2+save against shooting and 3+ in combat with the stats of white lions and lions seems fair at least on paper, someone who has more experience will have to give it go sometime and report how it goes.

popisdead
23-10-2009, 23:15
Looks pretty good.

refofdeath31
25-11-2009, 17:32
Seems like a solid and well-balanced list, but it also adds up to 1258, unless I'm missing something.