PDA

View Full Version : WoC Rott...Pleasure...and maybe some skulls too!

npow34
19-10-2009, 17:26
Hello Everyone!

I am a "noob" to posting so bare with me. I got into the hobby 7 or 8 years ago and have been getting back into it over the past year. More into the gaming side which i never did before and love it!

So first off, I consider myself a beginner painter and very, very new sculptor and looking for advice and criticism on work I am doing. Always welcome!

A little background on my force:
My first army is Druchii. Fell in love with Nurgle lore which started during the reading of the Malus Darkblade books and the "Skinraiders" who bore Papa's mark. So I have started my WoC with a Nurgle theme. Also, keeping with the Druchii ways I am also doing Slaanesh in my WoC army. I know that beauty and rott don't go well together, but I cannot help that I love both lores! :D There may be more worship of the other dark gods as well, but only time will tell what the force will unleash.

I look forward to sharing my project with all of you and also getting your insight and comments to help me grow in this addicting hobby! ;)

Monsterzonk
19-10-2009, 17:28
Nice! Now bring it on!

I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics of your minis, Festus especially! ;)

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

npow34
19-10-2009, 19:25
Nice! Now bring it on!

I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics of your minis, Festus especially! ;)

Cheers,

Thanks Monsterzonk. Don't be too excited...like I said I am new to the sculpting. ;) I will begin posting wip pics when I get home from work!

Ξ H2O Ξ
19-10-2009, 19:35
Hello Everyone!

I know that beauty and rott don't go well together...

I look forward to sharing my project with all of you and also getting your insight and comments to help me grow in this addicting hobby! ;)

Meh u can call it npows beautiful rot!

Can daresay I'm looking forward to seeing your plog. Might even get me motivated to start my own plog, but i hear pigs might fly someday also.

Good luck,
H2O

npow34
19-10-2009, 20:59
Meh u can call it npows beautiful rot!

Can daresay I'm looking forward to seeing your plog. Might even get me motivated to start my own plog, but i hear pigs might fly someday also.

Good luck,
H2O

Thanks for your help on the sig mate! You should start your own plog! I could convert some kind of pig with wings and post it! Would that help with the motivation?

npow34
20-10-2009, 00:54
UPDATE

Ok guys. Here is my first wip post. No painting done, but these are my Warriors of Nurgle. Let me know what you think.....

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR005.jpg

Here is the start of my sculpt for Festus the Leechlord!!

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR003.jpg

Hope you all enjoy and please give me some feedback as these are my first real conversions and gs work on my warriors.

mdiscala
20-10-2009, 01:20
I like it. Looks like your guys are blind though, was that intentional?

Cap'n Facebeard
20-10-2009, 07:50
Off to a good start with sculpting! I especially like the champion's stomach. Would it be possible to get another angle on the musician? I wouldn't mind seeing how you joined up the Marauder drum arm there.

Monsterzonk
20-10-2009, 08:05
Those Chaos Warriors look great! I really like all those subtle conversions, like the Champion's mace, the banner top, or the musician's drum. Well done! The sculpting also looks really good!

I can't say much about Festus yet. It's looks like a really good start, though. The most difficult thing about sculpting that I found was making sure that it all is anatomically correct. I know, us Chaos worshippers have a little more freedom there, but keep an eye on that anyways. ;)
Oh, and I'd definitely recommend using the hands from another mini, as those are horrible to sculpt. I used the hands of an Orc on my Butcherman. Beastmen size should be about right for Festus, I guess.
Maybe you could post a pic of Festus next to a Chaos warrior or something similar so we can see the scale?

Oh, and maybe this tutorial (http://www.miez.nl/putty-n-paint/tutes/sculpting_tut01.pdf) might help you aswell...

Like I said, this looks like a great start to an army dedicated to Papa Nurgle! Keep it up!

Cheers,

Ξ H2O Ξ
20-10-2009, 11:30
Never used GS before, YEAH RIGHT! Looks really good dude subtle and reasonably simple but nevertheless looking awesome.
My MoN warriors, currently wip, will kinda look like these guys.

This is somewhere (http://www.pbase.com/qrab/nwoc) i'm using for insperation of how to model my warriors and am gonna try a version of the lord, just waiting for my milliput to eventually arive...

Keep up the good work and good luck,
H2O

Jiggy
20-10-2009, 11:39
You just blew me mind...
That is your first time with GS???those warriors are amazing.
Give me a tip if you can!:D

maze ironheart
20-10-2009, 12:38
A great idea on the nurgle warriors look forward to seeing them painted.

RaZeR
20-10-2009, 12:46
Really nice work on the warrior unit, should look fantastic when it's all painted up :)
Looking forward to seeing how festus turns out as well, hard to really tell so far! :p

Elazar The Glorified
20-10-2009, 13:29
Wow! Well I'm glad I stopped by. This is a really, really promising start. The Warriors are looking great, as Monsterzonk said the little conversions are what really makes this unit very characterful. The GS work is really good too, you've not overdone any of it, or gotten carried away, seems spot on. Very impressive stuff. Looking forward to seeing some paint on them.
As for the sculpt for Festus, you have my admiration. I've never been brave enough to dare sculpt something from scratch like that. I wish you the best of luck though, just make sure you're very patient. I think that's where I always go wrong when I work with green stuff! :)

npow34
20-10-2009, 16:24
mdiscala, I wanted the horns bursting from the front of their helms. Wasn't thinking about their vision per say, but Papa's blessings are strange indeed. :D

Cap'n, Will post a better view as soon as I can. Really, when I clipped the arm just got lucky with it fitting that nice. ;)

Thanks MZ! Do you think I over did the banner? Maybe a bit to busy or over the top? I have picked some hands that I hope will work for Festus, we will see. Your Butcherman is great inspiration! I will post the scale pic of Festus as soon as I can. Aesome tutorial thank you! :D

H2O, Haha! Thanks man and it really is my first GS work..other than gap filling! I used the same unit for inspiration. That guy is amazing! Love all his work. Thanks for the great encouragement!

Thanks Jiggy! Yes, first time using gs other than gap filling. My best advice I can give you is to get sculpting tools (GF9). They really do make a huge difference. Also to help work the gs I used a water-based lubricant (Bring on the comments all :D) which is amazing for getting desired effects. To be honest I had no real idea where the gs work would go when i applied it to the model. I threw a gob on and just started moving it around and inspiration hit me as I began to sculpt. Haha kinda funny how they turned out, but I like them!

Thanks Maze! Still contemplating color schemes. Any ideas?

Thanks RaZeR! Going for the Festus pic in the WoC book. Trying to achieve a similar look.

Thanks for the advice Elazar! I totally agree with patience and that is really what I am working at with Festus. I was and still am very nervous about sculpting from scratch, but I really wanted a Festus character so I figured what the heck. Glad you like the warriors and think I hit it spot on. That really motivates me! Do you think I over did the banner at all?

UPDATE
Just some WIP on Festus all! So everyone knows, I am trying to achieve a similar look to the art in the WoC book. Please give me your feedback and any helpful ideas you may have to aid a new sculpter. :D Upper body will be continued next. For his backpack I am debating a rot ridden barrel or the box he appears to have on in the picture sculpted from scratch? Comments/ideas?
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR004.jpg

Monsterzonk
20-10-2009, 16:31
Great! Festus is shaping up nicely! You seem to stick closely to the artwork, which is good. I think the drawing of Festus is one of the best in the book.

I really like what you've done with the banner. Definitely not over the top. How will you paint those horns creeping out of it? Fat maggots? Twisting intestines? (God, I really should call my psychiatrist... ;))

Cheers,

Ξ H2O Ξ
20-10-2009, 16:49
Also to help work the gs I used a water-based lubricant (Bring on the comments all) I'm sure noone knows what you meant by that;). Care to explain?:D

Dude the festus looks really nice, he is deff my fave SC and the only guy i'd consider making and your wicked start is making me anxious (*high 5* for spell check) to get sculpting myself.

The banner is not over the top at all, I put my vote toward them being writhing maggots.
Yeah Qrab does have some amazing minatures and he's very skilled in bth painting and sculpting. So is a really great place to get inspiration from.

Keep it up and good stuff,
H2O

P.S Due to your Log getting off to a flying start think I'll start mine tonight so be sure to come check it out at some point.

Cassarus
20-10-2009, 17:59
oh, I like what you've done with your army so far!
Simple but effective conversions, and your Festus looks good so far :)
I'm looking forward to the next update!

Elazar The Glorified
20-10-2009, 20:20
No, I like the banner, it's certainly not over the top. It's another part that really builds some character into the unit. Following the suggestions of Monsterzonk's Nurgle-warped mind (;)) I reckon maggots on the banner too. Is that what they were intended to be or just a happy coincidence? :)
That Festus gets better and better with every pic. Again following Monsterzonk's comment it's great to see you staying true to the awesome illustration of him in the army book. It's a picture that really captures the Nurgle theme well and your mini is so far looking to be a very promising manifestation of that! :D

npow34
21-10-2009, 04:28
UPDATE

Here are the promised pics of the "drum arm connection" (nothing special):D and also threw Festus along side for the scale to warriors requested.
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR042.jpg
Another...
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR049.jpg
Below are my Slaanesh warriors which will be accompanied by Sigvald the Magnificent. They are just such plain warriors compared to the Nurgle warriors. I am thinking about making them hornless. Maybe trying a different type of ornament on the helmets. What do you guys think?
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR047.jpg

James S
21-10-2009, 05:24
Hornless will definitely give them a different look. Maybe the spartan helm look, I don't know. Great work so far, keep it up.

Monsterzonk
21-10-2009, 08:47
No horns sounds good to me! And thanks for the size comparison between Festus and the Warrior. Looking good!

Cheers,

Elazar The Glorified
21-10-2009, 08:54
Slaaneshi Warriors without horns look great, I have a couple amongst the Warriors in my army that don't have horns, and I took the horns off the Warrior helmets for my Marauders. The Chaos helmets look great that way. Another thing that could work quite well (I did it for the unit champion of my Warriors with additional hand weapons) is using the spikey bits from the Dark Elf sprues for their helmets. They have a very Slaaneshi style to them I think and lots of shapes that you can actually use to make Slaaneshi symbols. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

Ξ H2O Ξ
21-10-2009, 09:15
Festus looks like he'll be kinda shorter than the warriors which is good cause he was once a puny empire wizard, I think. I really like drums as musicians more than the borning horns, might see if i can find one somewhere...

Taking the horns off the helmets would be really good for the slaaneshy feel. As your "noob" GS skills are less than noob perhaps try and sculpt some tenticals (?) holding their weapons, could be more work than its worth though.

Good stuff,
H2O

mrtn
21-10-2009, 09:55
Nice start on the army. How about using plumes on the Slaaneshi helmets? You should have a few left.

Monsterzonk
21-10-2009, 10:00
As for the Spartan helmet look, maybe get some of these (http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_46&products_id=1067), cut them to size, and add them to the helmets like spiky, bladed mohawks... ;)

Cheers,

Elazar The Glorified
21-10-2009, 10:02
Or maybe these (http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=53) if you want to go non-GW

Monsterzonk
21-10-2009, 10:26
Or maybe these (http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=53) if you want to go non-GW

Mate, those are awesome! If I ever do a Slaanesh army, I'll get those. At least for Chosen. Make sure to remind me of those in case I forget... ;)

Cheers,

npow34
21-10-2009, 14:22
WOW Everyone! I am so happy with all the responses and interest in my PLOG. You all are great and motivate me with your insight! Thanks again for giving me a bit of your time and attention.

@ Elazar, Thanks for the pic post mate! Yes, I think the no horns look is awesome. Love your idea of using some of my spare Druchii bitz to convert some Slaaneshi symbols. Also those none GW helmets are insane! Would love to do something like that...I have the Slaanesh lord helmet with that plume! Awesome helmet that I have not decided where to use yet.

@ H2O, YES! That was exactly what I was thinking about Festus. He is a puny little human. He has now been blessed by Nurgle and in my opinion that changes his look (i.e. fat and open sores). We will have to see how he turns out for size though. But that is exactly what I am going for! Glad you saw that. Thought about mutations on the Slaanesh warriors, but similar to Elazar his is great theme! I am gonna keep those to a minimum. I get my mutation fill from Papa Nurgle! :D

@ mrtn, thanks for the post! Love the idea of plumes, but not sure how I would have any left over and from where? Thanks again and glad you like my start. :D

@ Monsterzonk, thanks for the post man and great suggestions. Am really considering it!

mrtn
21-10-2009, 14:51
There are plumes (or whatever they're called. Ponytails? :p ) on the chaos warrior sprues. :)
Second guy from the left, in the back rank (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/mrtnw/Miniatures/Beastmen/?action=view&current=movement-tray.jpg). There should be one of these taller ones per box, and I think three of a shorter version.

Ξ H2O Ξ
21-10-2009, 15:00
As MZ has said the head Elazar put up look awesome for everything chaos, was thinking would even look great on some marauders.
As mrtn has said the hair things would look good, should have about 3 or 4 per box. Not sure if i'd put them on or not, if u want the completely clean shiney (slightly too pretty) slaaneshy unit then probs leave them without.

I think the way they are painted makes the biggest difference to which god any given unit is devoted to.

Looking forward to more, espically on Festus (am still waiting on my own GS to arrive, hurry up Wayland!).
H2O

Endor
21-10-2009, 18:54
Great start! I really like the way you have themed the nurgle warriors - and as has been said, without over-doing it. My compliments for building a model from scratch - coming along nicely. I have not dared to take the leap yet and have mostly been using different parts for my conversions based on existing models and scratchbuilding only minor parts on some models. Maybe watching your progress will encourage me to aim higher for future projects :)

npow34
23-10-2009, 14:13
@ mrtn, ahhh icic. Yes..the ponytails haha. I think I have some idea where I am going to go with their hornless helmets. Thanks for your input and taking the time to explain.

@ H2O, I have got some inspiration on what I am going to do with the helmets. Hopefully they turn out the way I have them envisioned in my mind. I totally agree with you dude about how they are painted and I have some idea where I want to go with the color scheme on them. Have not had much time to work on Festus. Hopefully this weekend though. Look forward to your gs work being posted up soon! :D

@ Endor, Thanks for taking the time to check out my plog! Glad you like my warriors and thank you for your kind works about my wip Festus. Hopefully he turns out.

@MZ, sorry for the late reply but you had me laughing my butt off in my office when you commented on seeing your psychiatrist about your chaos twisted mind!! Hahaha still brings a smile to my face and yes, those horns coming out of the banner will be MAGGOTS!

UPDATE
Got a tournament at my local game store this weekend that I am super pumped about! Not going to field my WoC though. The Druchii are going to be raiding for slaves! So don't know how much WoC work will get done this weekend. So here is something to wet your whistle until I can get back into the realm of chaos.....

Ok everyone here is a look at my wip knights. They have more work to be done on them but i am really trying to get motivation and also waiting for some inspiration to hit me on what gs work i need to do to make them look more Nurgle. I have some ideas, but I would also like to hear all of your thoughts..
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR013.jpg
WOW are these guys a pain in the **** to rank up or what! Probably took them apart 5 plus times to get them to get together perfect!
Here they are again with their lord!! Elazar...I think in this case the tentacle arm works well for Papa Nurgle don't you? ;)
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR008.jpg

And my favorite one is here on the end. Love the way his helmet turned out..
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WAR009.jpg

Have more...but three pic limit and all ;) Sorry guys. C&C welcome and thank you in advance! ENJOY!

Monsterzonk
23-10-2009, 21:58
I really like the look of the Knight so far. Subtle GS work again, and the bases are great! I'm really looking forward to seeing them painted.

Cheers,

Ξ H2O Ξ
23-10-2009, 23:22
Nice work with the Knights the GS is minimal but effective. My unit doesn't rank up very well but might just get another unit to mix the 2 so they both rank, but seems like alot of effort :rolleyes:

Looking forward to some paint being spalshed on stuff, and can wait for some more on Festus. Still haven't got my GS but have made his wire frame so its a start.

H2O

shredshredxx
24-10-2009, 03:16
your nurgle conversions get me excited. hahaha keep it up, i hope you most some more pics soon

Elazar The Glorified
24-10-2009, 07:06
Your Knights are looking great. The GS work is really good, as said subtle and effective an it really builds on the character here. The Knights can be quite a pain to rank up but I actually like that about them because you end up with the sort of formation yours have got there, like they're spreading out from their marching formation so they can cause maximum impact when they charge! :D The helmet on the last Knight that you mention does indeed look great, what have you use, is it Dryad branches or something?

I think the tentacle definitely works on the Chaos Lord model if he's got the mark of Nurgle. I think on the whole the model has a real Nurgly feel to it, I think his helmet in particular really adds to that.

All in all you're only on page 2 of this plog and you already have a great collection of minis in here. Very impressive start npow. :)

kormas
25-10-2009, 09:00
oh wow, this is comming along great. festus is looking amazing, i truly envy your greenstuff skills, and i still cant belive that this is your fist attempt at a sculpt!! :p

Breazer
26-10-2009, 21:01
looks very promising...
am curious to how the first painted units will look..
nice conversions so far!

Rochie83
28-10-2009, 03:25
That's some impressive work right there!

npow34
30-10-2009, 23:27
@ Monsterzonk, Glad you like the knights. There is more I want to do with them, subtle of course. I don't like to go to overboard if i can help it.

@ H2O, Thanks for the comment! They are a royal pain to rank, but the final effect is worth it! Festus has been on hold as of late. Wife and son were in the hospital for the H1N1 virus, but are recovering great! Post some pics of your sculpt...would love to see the start.

@ shredshredxx, Glad you enjoyed them. More to come my friend.

@ Elazar, Thanks for the comment and I totally agree with you on the knights. I love how you have to almost fan out their formation to get them to rank up. Makes them look truly terrifying. The horns come from a Brettonian knight with a stag on the helm. I simply removed his horns. Also thanks for your feedback. It is appreciated and helps with the motivation. :D

@ kormas, glad you like him. He is coming along. Will try to get to him soon. Got preoccupied with painting. Which can be a good thing.

@ Breazer, glad you like them thus far. Thanks for stopping by.

@ Rochie, thanks for the comment my friend and for stopping by to check out my plog.

UPDATE
Got some painting done everyone. Let me know what you all think of the test warrior. C&C welcome. Need to improve my painting skills so it would help to hear your comments. Mini has not been highlighted yet and will. THANKS!
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/wip001.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/wip003.jpg

Ξ H2O Ξ
30-10-2009, 23:57
Wife and son were in the hospital for the H1N1 virus, but are recovering great! Post some pics of your sculpt...would love to see the start.

Hope ur lad and missus are recovering well, know some people who've had swine flu and isn't a pretty sight, pass on best wishes (not sure if that seems creepy or not but hope you take as intended).

I would LOVE to post pictures of my sculpt for festus but currently he is a piece of wire with 2 feet on the ends. Ordered my stuff of the internet last like 10 days ago and due toawesome postal strikes they still haven't arrived.But as soon as something of worth happens to him i'll post it.

The paintign can't really be knocked, is only base colours (and a slight wash it seems) afterall, but as for colour selection it seems perfectly nurgley. Looking forward to seeing it all highlighted/shaded up.

H2O

P.S Am sorry for any incorrect spellings due to a slight brain impairment, might've had 1 or 2...or 3:rolleyes:. Will edit tommorrow if needs be.

Elazar The Glorified
31-10-2009, 07:39
The test warrior looks good, if you've still got to do the highlights then it's hard to really pick up on much that could be done different. I really like the colours on the cloak in particular, looking really good. I'm going to assume you still plan on doing some shading as well as highlighting (so the rest of my post here might not actually be of that much use to you not least because I'm far from a great painter) but it might be worth trying to paint a darker colour (or may a couple of coats of wash can work but on an already quite dark green a darker green will look better I reckon) directly into the recesses and shaded areas of the armour with a nice thin brush. Once you've done this you can add your edge highlights in (some will go right next to a shaded area) and it will add a lot more depth to the model and really make it pop when it's done. The same can be done for boots etc.

Seeing as I'm putting off putting together another 14 Orcs, 20 Night Goblins, 1 Boar Chariot, 2 Shaman and 2 Bosses (I'm so tired of putting together O&Gs and my son is out for the day and needs them for tomorrow!) I thought I'd show you what I mean on your mini in case what I've written isn't clear.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/741/wip001.jpg

I've (not massively accurately) put magenta lines in a couple of locations where you should be putting a darker shade of the green. Such as against the edges of the fur on the cape, the 'collar' on the armour has lots of almost right angles that should be shaded, under the gut of the warrior. On the kneepad on his left knee in particular, you'll have a darker colour almost right next to and edge highlight on the centre of the kneepad when it's done. There will probably be a few more bits but from the photo you took they're the ones that stood out.Hope that makes sense and is of some help to you. I also reckon the fur needs more depth but that's nothing a wash can't fix :)

P.S. Hope your wife and son are both good now. How old is your son?

Monsterzonk
31-10-2009, 08:46
He looks cool so far, but I'll have to agree with Elazar. Some more shading would really help bring out the details of the armour. It doesn't have to be all that fancy - he's a Nurgle worshipper after all! - just add some thinned down Devlan Mud or Thraka Green to the recesses. You could also try and vary the tones of the shading to achieve some subtle differences between the models.

The fur might also benefit from another highlight, maybe a drybrush of Graveyard Earth or something? The trick to painting minis, IMO, is to exaggerate the contrast a little, especially on flat areas (like armour) and rough bits (like fur or hair). But actually that's just nitpicking. He looks really good so far.

Hope your family will be alright soon!

Cheers,

npow34
02-11-2009, 15:22
@ H2O, Thanks for the well wishes H2O. That was very cool of you to care and nothing was taken wrong at all. :) I cannot wait to see your wip of Festus! That is too bad there are strikes going on. I have finished this warrior and started the unit champion but have not taken the photos yet. They will be up this evening. Hope all is well and thanks for following my plog!

@ Elazar, Thanks for the great comments! I do appreciate your taking the time to edit the picture with your explanation. Great things! I have finished this model and look forward to your comments when I post this evening. I took a lot of your comments to heart so thanks again. Your sons project sounds like a lot of work. Plan on posting some of it? Also thanks for your well wishes for my wife and son. My son is two and they both are doing much better. Thanks again! :D

@ Monsterzonk, Thanks for keeping up with my project. I am grateful for your comments thus far. I love your idea of varying the tones of shading to each model. Hopefully I can pull it off. I rely a lot on GW washes for my shading and adding depth. On this model I only used devlan mud and badab black. Please nitpick all you want on my models as I will never get better unless I get honest feedback. I will post the final product tonight as well as the start on the unit champ so you guys can see how they get started. Also thanks for inquiring about my family. They are recovering well. :)

Monsterzonk
02-11-2009, 16:28
You're very welcome! :)
Looking forward to seeing those new pics!

Cheers,

npow34
02-11-2009, 22:21
UPDATE
Here is the finished test warrior and the start of the unit champ. C&C welcome. Thanks for checking it out everyone! :)
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WIP004.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WIP005.jpg
And with the unit champ wip....
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WIP013.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos all. Let me know what you all think. :D

mrtn
02-11-2009, 22:24
You forgot to add his shield arm. :p

Nice painting. ;)

juicytomatoes
03-11-2009, 05:47
I like the watery effect on your bases... Slosh, slosh! Gives a feeling of extra discomfort and dirt, subtle but effective. What did you use to create that effect?

npow34
03-11-2009, 13:11
I like the watery effect on your bases... Slosh, slosh! Gives a feeling of extra discomfort and dirt, subtle but effective. What did you use to create that effect?

Thanks juicytomatoes, I followed Masterzonks tutorial on his great plog. Dark angels green and then varnish.

Elazar The Glorified
03-11-2009, 13:19
The warrior looks great npow. The highlights look great and as juicytomatoes has said the bases are great. Thought they had a look of Herr Zonks :D The champion looks good for this early stage of painting. Love that mace head! ;)
But the thing I love the most about the painted warrior is that cloak. It really does look awesome!

Monsterzonk
03-11-2009, 15:31
The Warrior looks just great! Much better than the first incarnation. The colour scheme is really good, and I love the single horn on his forehead. That just oozes character. Well done!
And it's really great to see the tutorial put to good use! The base came out nicely!

Cheers,

kormas
04-11-2009, 06:19
looking great, the highlighting went well :D. and the bases will make the unit stand out really well :D

npow34
04-11-2009, 13:31
@ Elazar, thanks for the comment. Glad you like them thus far. Yes, zonks bases are very simple to do and effective. The cloaks turned out just the way I wanted them too. Just a base in denab stone and them multiple layers of delvan mud and highlights of denab stone. Simple but i really like them. :D

@ Monsterzonk, thanks for the comment. Your tutorial is what really made me go with the swamp bases because I just did not want to buy an expensive bottle of water effects, so when I read your plog and how you did swamps I was overjoyed at the idea! Thanks for sharing that. I am glad you think the horn adds character. I really tried to make the warriors different from the standard chaos molds. :)

@ kormas, thanks. I think the highlighting turned out ok as well. Good to hear others agree. The bases are key to any unit of troops and really make the model. :D Glad you like it!

Ξ H2O Ξ
07-11-2009, 22:29
Wicked stuff so far dude, like the loosk of the warriors. Are you planning on putting any split sores/wounds on the bellies, with like maggots or intestines spilling out??
Would furthur inhance the diseased look, i think, but could also push them over board into the cheesy lookig=ng realms.

Any more on our friend the Leechlord??

Btw 6 days since ur last picture post just isn't on now is it?

H2O

npow34
09-11-2009, 13:22
Wicked stuff so far dude, like the loosk of the warriors. Are you planning on putting any split sores/wounds on the bellies, with like maggots or intestines spilling out??
Would furthur inhance the diseased look, i think, but could also push them over board into the cheesy lookig=ng realms.

Any more on our friend the Leechlord??

Btw 6 days since ur last picture post just isn't on now is it?

H2O
Aye Aye! Good to see you back on my project report mate! The warriors do have some open sores on their bellies. I dont think I am going to do maggots or intestines because from the fluff I read that Nurgle worshippers can sustain multiple injuries and continue to fight. So that is why some of them have these gapping wounds. That and I am too nervous to attempt to sculpt intestines.
As far as Festus goes, still nothing to report. I think have some great ideas for his staff. I still need to order some bits from GW.
And as you now make me feel guil;ty about no pictures :D I will post some!

npow34
09-11-2009, 13:32
UPDATE TIME

Got some more painting done! It is taking me some time because I have been doing each model individually. I have done assembly line style, but at least with these guys I like to see it through to the end. I am super slow so that doesn’t help. The good thing is I am not getting bored (fingers crossed it stays that way) with these guys yet. Could be because each model has been different in appearance. (notice I said appearance and not painting scheme). I like coherence on my units. Enough of me boring with words...here you go...
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/wip005-1.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/wip006.jpg
I am unsure of the unit champ's weapon. What do you all think? Suggestions? Comments? Always welcome because I want to improve! :D

npow34
09-11-2009, 13:35
Some more pics of the finished guys and as you can see the SB is primed and ready! :D
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/wip003-1.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/wip002.jpg
C&C please everyone.

Monsterzonk
09-11-2009, 14:27
Man, those finished Warriors rock! Awesome! A whole army of them will be just stunning! Great, great work!

Cheers,

Jiggy
09-11-2009, 16:52
I second MZ's enthusiasm.Your army will look ace.

Elazar The Glorified
10-11-2009, 13:06
They're looking brilliant npow, especially seeing them starting to rank up. I especially love the icon on the drum skin, very nice little touch that. Lots of character and I agree with Monsterzonk and Jiggy. An army of these guys is going to look awesome! :D

Dark Apostle
10-11-2009, 13:34
Lovely warriors, they got a very distinct nurglieness to them. Great conversions and painting alike. The bases look ace too!

Ξ H2O Ξ
10-11-2009, 21:11
Looking wicked dude. As others have said as a unit (and eventually a force) they'll look even better, good job!

Looking forward 2 more,
H2O

npow34
14-11-2009, 22:23
Just a quick update! Sorry in advance for the bad pics here. Trying to rush out the door. This is my first shot at free hand on armor so let me know. To be 100% honest I am not sure if I like this test warrior for Slannesh. Please..please..please give me feedback guys! Also I need to pick up some paints to finish the cape. C&C PLEASE!!!!
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WIP001-1.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WIP002-1.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WIP003-2.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/WIP004-1.jpg

SamVimes
14-11-2009, 23:30
I'd start by painting the freehand swirls in a very dark brown, and then gold over the top with a tiny outline of the brown to separate the designs from the armor proper. Looks good though.

Elazar The Glorified
15-11-2009, 06:11
SamVimes I think is spot on. The freehand looks good but could do with a darker edging to help it stand out from the armour. If you could manage to go over what you've done with a brown as he says and then a slightly thinner line of gold through that it'd look perferct. It looks good, whenever I try freehand of any sort it looks awful so I'm quite impressed. As for the colour scheme I think it looks very promising, it certainly captures that Slaaneshi decadence! :)

Monsterzonk
15-11-2009, 09:10
The freehand painting is really good - especially considering the scale! But I think the others got it right when they say it needs a bit more contrast to make it pop more. I'd recommend either Scorched Brown or Tin Bitz for that. I know it's tough to repaint stuff, but I'm sure it'll turn a good mini into a great one! ;)

Cheers,

Ξ H2O Ξ
15-11-2009, 16:51
Looks good dude, not gonna say it again but agree with the above posts.

Not sure if the c&c was only wanted for the freehand...but the chainmail and chest silver area could do with a wash of some kind. Perhaps really watered down black ink then a layer or 2 of watered purple ink, followed by a DB of the orginal colour.

Highlighting looks nicely done, you use Elazar's tutorial for the armour?
H2O

P.S No more work on the MoN warriors?

npow34
16-11-2009, 14:47
@ SamVimes, Elazar, Monsterzonk, and H20 Thanks for the comments my friends. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! :D I knew it needed something but just could not put my figure on it. I have decided to repaint the mini and use a different free hand scheme with something darker. Elazar will know where I went as I used this mini for my original inspiration on bone armor! Thanks again!

@ Elazar, I am glad you think the color scheme is promising. I am still a bit unsure, but am going to test some more styles with the bone and see how it turns out. Looking specifically on how to wash the armor without taking from the original color....not too thrilled with the sepia. Any ideas or suggestions? Watered down sepia maybe?

@ H2O, Thanks for the comment bruv! I will do something with the mail and arrow on the next run. and like your idea of the purple wash. may give that a go.
What I used for the color scheme was a basecoat in black, followed by foundation in denab stone, then couple coats of bleached bone. I then gave it a wash of sepia and highlighted the edges with skull white. Final wash of sepia then the freehand (which I am changing).
My servants of Rot have had some small modifications to bases to add more effect, and I re-did the banner last night as I was not happy at all with the pustule on it. So there has been some work on them.

Ξ H2O Ξ
16-11-2009, 17:29
just could not put my figure on it.
Just a simply awesome pun, intended or not!

H2O

Indreth
16-11-2009, 19:58
I really like the warriors. the idea is pretty cool mate.

I personally think that you could add more red to the purple of the cape. The rest looks damn good! The golden freehands work very well with the bone coloured armour :) keep it up

Kind Regards,
I.

npow34
20-11-2009, 17:08
Just a simply awesome pun, intended or not!

H2O
Caught that did ya. ;)

I really like the warriors. the idea is pretty cool mate.

I personally think that you could add more red to the purple of the cape. The rest looks damn good! The golden freehands work very well with the bone coloured armour :) keep it up

Kind Regards,
I.
Glad you like it mate! Red to the cape you say? This could be interested to try? Thanks for stoping by. :D

Grimstonefire
02-12-2009, 19:42
If I'm honest I don't like the freehands. I think painting the white like proper cracked bone would look better.

I wouldn't go reddish with highlighting the cloaks, going more to pink would be more in keeping with the traditional slaanesh colours. Some big thorny vine patterns like they have on the eldar tanks on the back of the cloak would look awesome.

The leather would also look better black imo.

npow34
02-12-2009, 21:07
If I'm honest I don't like the freehands. I think painting the white like proper cracked bone would look better.

I wouldn't go reddish with highlighting the cloaks, going more to pink would be more in keeping with the traditional slaanesh colours. Some big thorny vine patterns like they have on the eldar tanks on the back of the cloak would look awesome.

The leather would also look better black imo.
Thanks for your honest input my friend. What did you think of the nurgle warriors? Could not agree with you more on the freehand. I also did not like it, but thought I would post to see what others thought anyways. I have already repainted this with a cracked bone look, but have not posted pictures. :D I am also going with pink in the cloaks and the thorny vines is something I am going to attempt on them I think. Like the freehand done on 'Evy Metal's Sigvald cloak. Is funny that you said all this when it has either been done or in the plans already. :D

Monsterzonk
02-12-2009, 21:48
Well, show us some pics then! I'm curious. ;)

Cheers,

Ξ H2O Ξ
02-12-2009, 22:57
What MZ said. Pics please.

Nagach1
03-12-2009, 22:09
Nice convertion job on the Nurgle dudes. :3 I like how you have finiched them of with the swamp looking base!

Keep it up man ;)

npow34
04-12-2009, 13:31
UPDATE
I know it has been awhile since I have done a "proper" update. So due to popular demand here are some things I have been working on. Not much but I have been really busy in real life and playing my Druchii on the tabletop. The middle is a base I have been working on for a character. The two sorcerers I got off ebay for $12.50!!! What a deal! The gs work on the nurgle guy is from me.
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/002.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/004.jpg

Here is the change on my slaanesh test model. Not even close to being done. Still need to do the rims in gold, shading, and highlighting. What do you all think of this?
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/013.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/015.jpg

npow34
04-12-2009, 13:36
UPDATE

And for those of you who are wondering I have not forgot my Nurgle boys! For this guy I redid the banner. I just was not feeling it. I am much more happy with this result!
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/016.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/017.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/npow34/018.jpg

THE WARRIORS OF THE WORM! This is my new theme for my warriors of Nurgle.

Joeli
04-12-2009, 13:43
**** your army, but im not truly a fan of the golden trims on the slaanesh warrior. it looks a bit blurry.. would repaint it by using tin bits and over that the burnishd gold. that should work out just fine=)

Kasrkin 666
04-12-2009, 16:53
Your WoC are amazing! A definite subscription!:)

-Sunny

Ξ H2O Ξ
04-12-2009, 19:54
Glad to see a "proper" update after so long in the waiting. Liking the gold trims myslef, planning on high-lighting (hyphanated?) them up a little brighter after a lil wash?
Liking the "clean" boney armour colour, the vein type things are cool also. helps break the big armour slabs up a bit.

The nugle banner, holy sheet that looks good. The worms old skaven tails or sculpted? Either way really like them. You could always make it a complete army theme, with you MoS heroes/horsemen or whatever mounted on worm type things (http://www.kraken-editions.com/uploads/tx_cenoartefactory/Razorpine_Rattler.jpg), just a little "prettier":p.

I thought I read that you've been using DEs on the table top. They are only supposed to be WoC stand ins right? Otherwise thats just wrong.

Wanna see more!

P.S if you check those worm things they're what I was thinking of a Steeds of Slaanesh, sexy no?

Monsterzonk
04-12-2009, 21:49
This is great! The Nurgle Warriors' banner is just disgusting! Love it! And the Slaanesh Warrior's marble effect looks nice as well. Can't wait to see him finished. Like I said, great work!

Cheers,

npow34
07-12-2009, 14:18
@Nahach1, thanks mate glad you like them!

@ Joeli, Thanks for the comment. I may give that a try to see how it looks.

@Kasrkin, Glad you like them and thank you for subscribing. Comments are the reason I keep posting. :D

@ H2O, thanks for the comments bruv! Yes there will be highlighting on the gold trim with a 50/50 of mithril and gold. Glad you like the armor. I have not wshed it yet and am not sure if I should. Any thoughts? I like the marbleing effect. Stole that from 'Evy Metal Harry the Hammer.
Glad you like the banner. I am much more pleased with it now than before. The worms are sculpted from gs, they do kinda look like rat tails...DRAT. The giant maggots or worms are becoming a theme on my boys of nurgle. Which I think works well.
Oooooo really like that model. Would be awesome for Steeds of Slaanesh. Love the idea mate! Not diseased enough for nurgle imo. I am going to do that giant worm from CMON that I sent you a pic of once.
Not a fan of the DRUCHII??? They are my first! Love their diverse tactics and slaving nature! I have a corsair themed army! But this plog is not for them so we will keep it chaos! ;)

@ Monsterzonk, Glad you like the banner. I was very happy with how it turned out. Thanks for stopping by. :D

Elazar The Glorified
07-12-2009, 19:12
Well I really liked the first bone armour with the freehand so was a little disappointed to here you'd scrapped it but the marbled effect looks great and is certainly a really good homage to the Harry the Hammer in the 'Eavy metal paint-off (you already know how much I loved that mini + paint job! :D ). Will certainly look great across a unit or five once you've completed it! ;)
Have to agree with the others, the Nurgle banner is pure win! Really, really, disgustingly gross and you couldn't give a better compliment to a Nurgler I reckon! :)

Nordic
16-12-2009, 16:03
amazing banner! looks like real worms!
As for the slaanesh warrior i really like the bone armour. its a nice change from the standard pink/purple ones. =)

Kaos
04-03-2010, 21:25
Howcome i missed this log? Looking good fellow worshiper of the Dark Gods!

I need to see some knights painted. Its a must!

Cheers-Kaos

Elfboy
04-03-2010, 22:06
Those worms look gruesome, made my skin crawl when I saw the close up shot! Which in nurgle terms means that they're great :D

npow34
05-03-2010, 14:04
WOW! thanks for the comments guys, Very much appreciated. I have not updated this thread in a long time, but have been very busy with real life. I will soon continue down the path of rot, pleasure, and skulls, but not for a little while I am afraid.

Shieldwall
14-06-2010, 21:34
I like the Nurgle guys the most, you got some green stuff skill man.

rev
27-06-2010, 08:08
that nurgle banner made me shiver and itch - disgusting.

Thats got to be a good sign? Right?!

Nice work

Rev

Elazar The Glorified
27-06-2010, 10:10
Rev! You got me all excited resurrecting this thread! Grrr! ;)

npow34
28-06-2010, 13:37
I like the Nurgle guys the most, you got some green stuff skill man.

Thanks for the comment. I have not touched this thread in soo long. I am glad you like the nurgle warriors...look forward to seeing more wolves from you!

that nurgle banner made me shiver and itch - disgusting.

Thats got to be a good sign? Right?!

Nice work

Rev

Haha...yeah I think that is the point of nurgle...itching you say? Perhaps you are feeling the effects of nurgles touch? ;) Hope to see some of your fantasy commissions soon! Thank for the comment...I feel truly honored to have an extraordinary painter like you comment on my log.

Rev! You got me all excited resurrecting this thread! Grrr! ;)

Elazar, I am sorry for not updating this log. Real life is pulling me far and away....ooo and of course being sucked into the 40k universe and my new toys Logan's....wait for it....WOLFWING!!!! I have noticed that you too have been sucked more into your 40k army...which looks spectacular I might add!