PDA

View Full Version : Making a wartable.

Leo85
19-10-2009, 20:59
So i'm making a table, basically tossed a lvl of sand on the board and added a few coats of white glue to keep it all in place. It is kinda solid but I mean if you scratch at it a lot u can remove some bits of sand, I was wondering if it's a good idea to add some hard coat or purtiy seal on it to harden it out? or if theres another way to do this, any ideas are appreciated thx.

Haravikk
19-10-2009, 21:28
Don't scratch at it? Unfortunately the best battlefields are going to have some element of care required to keep them from getting too badly damaged, even if you strike a balance between looks and durability. Personally for me the appearance of the table is paramount, so one of the house rules is usually a good kicking if anything is broken :)

As for your specific case, what are you trying to represent? I've used glued sand on a table before, but I was using it to texture a darker terrain, so I simply painted over it which seems to have prevented anything rubbing away (it was thickish paint), though the flock in some areas is another story.

If you're planning to use it as a desert then maybe get paints similar enough to go over it with? Otherwise purity seal may work, hopefully someone else can say for sure though as I haven't tried it.

CaptainAwesome
19-10-2009, 21:36
Sand can be a problem with a table used for WHFB as sliding movment trays about the place can remove massive clumps. I would in vest in a GW battle mat and a pot of pva (get a big pot from BandQ) Once you've sretched it out and glued it down rest something on top of it.

Leo85
19-10-2009, 22:03
I was planing on painting it scorched brown, then dry brushing bleached bone on it. I mean it takes a whole lot scratching for some to chip off just wanted to know if anyone added something to protect the surface.

Tokamak
19-10-2009, 22:07
Coat it fully in watered wood glue. You can even make the table more smooth if you add several thick layers so it becomes more playable.

Gunless Ganger
19-10-2009, 22:09
So i'm making a table, basically tossed a lvl of sand on the board and added a few coats of white glue to keep it all in place. It is kinda solid but I mean if you scratch at it a lot u can remove some bits of sand, I was wondering if it's a good idea to add some hard coat or purtiy seal on it to harden it out? or if theres another way to do this, any ideas are appreciated thx.

Wow really? If people scratch at my table a lot, all they'll remove is some fingernail.

My table was built like this:
Thick coat of white glue - layer of sand. Left for 24 hours
Coat of White glue/water mix - Left for 24 hours
Painted black using outdoor housepaint - non glossy
Drybrushed three layers of brown - then glued on patches of flock.

Have you painted it, or is it just sand and glue?

Wulgar13
19-10-2009, 22:10
If you use flat latex paint, it will act like a layer of glue on top. Instead of sand I've always used Lifelike Scenics Earth (basically sawdust chunks). GW US used to build all of their tables with it....just wood glue it down, then latex paint it (with water added to paint for crevices).....if it ever does chip (and you'll have to work on that!) then you can touch it up with just some paint, or reapply some earth and then repaint.....you can drybrush it from there....because of the way the sawdust lays and drybrushes I've seen it used from everything from snow to desert to grass to cityscape....and it all looked good. Your sand (depending on the grain) should be similar (though heavier)

Leo85
19-10-2009, 23:10
No havent painted it yet, my 1st coat of wood glue was actually watered down, I'm gonna add another layer of non watered glue and im gonna start painting over it :) my dad recommended saw dust but I thought he was crazy, guess he wasn't :confused:

JHZ
20-10-2009, 01:26
Clear resin over the sand?

I'd just get a yellow/grown canvas and throw it over the table. Since we do 90% of our playing at the club, and there's no place to store stuff there, we have to drag everything back and forth over and over again. Plus, it's easier to store than one big table. Unless, of course, you have a winch to lift the table away. My dad made a large board for me to play with my legos when I was a kid. It sat on top of a pool table and could be winched to the ceiling out of the way when not in use.