PDA

View Full Version : Mono-God Daemons advice please

GenerationTerrorist
21-10-2009, 14:53
Hi guys.
Well, I have turned to the Dark side and decided to start a small Daemons army in conjuction with my small Lizardmen project. I want to make it entirely mono-god, much like my WoC Tzeentch army but would like some info/advice on which specific god provides:

- The most flexibility in it's setup
- The least likely outcome of me getting hit for being a cheese-monkey at my local club. AKA, not an insanely powerful list
- The most fun to play with and against (see point above!)

I have the army book, as well as a load of bloodletters from earlier Hordes of Chaos days, but before I start investing the cash made by selling 1500pts of Marines, I would like some info on whether the below would be considered, by experienced Daemon players, as a "non-hardcore" list at 1500pts:

-------------

- Skulltaker (Chariot)
- Herald, BSB (Banner of Unholy Victory), Soul Hunger, Armour of Khorne, Juggernaut

- 10 Bloodletters, Standard (Icon of Endless War)
- 10 Bloodletters, Standard (Icon of Endless War)
- 17 Bloodletters, Standard (Icon of Endless War), Musician (Herald goes here)

- 5 Flesh Hounds
- 5 Flesh Hounds

1476pts

-------------

The only god that I have no real flavour for, fluff-wise, is Nurgle. My WoC army is Tzeentch, so I would probably put that behind Khorne or Slaanesh in terms of priority. The only problem I can envisage with a mono-Khorne list is getting butchered by magic-heavy armies, whereas I feel that Slaanesh units won't be as effective in combat.

Although if anyone thinks/advises otherwise then your opinions will be listened to with eager intent :-)

Cheers,
Al

Lord Inquisitor
21-10-2009, 15:05
Well, mono-Khorne does have access to Spellbreaker gifts, while mono-Slaanesh does not, so that is something.

I've been running mono-Slaanesh for a long time. It works well, although it requires quite a bit of thought to use well, despite what people say about daemons being auto-win. Obviously the best build is the Ld-bomb (Masque and Icon of Dispair combo) because of the synergy with all of the Slaaneshi-Ld abilities and spells.

The biggest problems with mono-Slaanesh are their low toughness and low strength. The low toughness means that they're vulnerable to shooting - those Dark Elf crossbows and dropped rocks from terradons really hurt seekers - and their low strength presents issues dealing with high-armour troops. High toughness isn't so much of an issue because of the sheer number of attacks and they do have armour piercing but you'll need at least a couple of tin openers (etherblades).

Shooting vulnerability can be to some degree circumvented by use of Siren Song or the Siren Standard. Neither will make you very popular I suspect! Magic can also be a vulnerability because you're relying on the dispel dice from your heroes. Maxing out on magic levels can leave you with a reasonable pool, but you'll quickly end up paying far too many points on heroes and lords. The biggest strength of Slaanesh is, of course, speed. Worth playing the army for the look on your opponent's face when most of your army hurtles 20" forward.

w3rm
22-10-2009, 01:02
Khorne Daemons can be competitive and non cheesy. You just have to work on it. Drop Unholy Victory on the BSB and take Standard of Sundering for some magic defense. You need some. You cant give all your guys Endless Icon. Says so in the FAQ. They work like magic standards so 1 per army. Sorry.

GenerationTerrorist
22-10-2009, 07:31
OK, thanks for the tips guys. :-)

Lijacote
22-10-2009, 09:01
Khorne Daemons can be competitive and non cheesy. You just have to work on it. Drop Unholy Victory on the BSB and take Standard of Sundering for some magic defense. You need some. You cant give all your guys Endless Icon. Says so in the FAQ. They work like magic standards so 1 per army. Sorry.
Oh?

The FAQs on the other hand are very much 'soft' material. They deal with more of a grey area, where often there is no right and wrong answer - in a way, they are our own 'Studio House Rules'
Not to mention the answer being like so:

Yes, they are magic items in all respects, with the caveats listed on page 92. Remember, that gifts may be taken more than once in the army.
Aren't the icons gifts too? Ergo, available for multiple takings?

I wouldn't trust FAQs that readily.

w3rm
23-10-2009, 03:08
Ah. I guess that just shows don't believe everything you read on warseer!

PeG
23-10-2009, 15:21
My daughter took on a small mono khorne army with yesterday with some WE and wiped them so they are not necessarily OP.

The lists used were approx
Skulltaker
Herald of Khorne with flaming sword on jugger in a small unit of bloodcrushers
2 units of blood letters
+ another small unit that was probably hounds (died early to shooting)

Against
Branchwraith in dryads
alter noble
one unit of glade guards
Treeman

Daemons got wiped and WE lost the treeman.

crazywhiteboydance
23-10-2009, 15:42

I believe you're referring to the caveat that says the banners "act" like magic items but are still daemonic gifts.

So yes you can have multiples, they are daemonic gifts as stated by the paragraph you reference. However, as they act as magic items it means that if you're standard bearer or BSB is displaced from the front rank (either by having a front rank of characters or in the case of the BSB being sent to the rear rank in a challenge) then the unit does not benefit from the effect of the icon nor recieve it's combat bonus.

Having said that most independent tournament organisers will limit you to one of each.