PDA

View Full Version : New Star Wars TV series

Warlord Gnashgrod
16-05-2005, 19:41
Apparently they're going to be coming out with a new Star Wars TV series. It's going to be set during the 20 years between episodes 3 and 4. There's a bit of info about it here:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050510g.php

So what does everyone think of this idea? Frankly, although I will at least check it out, I don't think it's such a great idea. IMO, Star Wars is a storyline best told in movies. Also, I'm not too sure what they can have as a major plotline that they could really resolve in the end, that wouldn't interfere with the already set storys of the movies. But that's just what I think. They could still do a good job.

Marsekay
16-05-2005, 22:34
I think its a cracking idea, i was thinking bout the idea of it before it was announced so i was quite pleased.

Time will tell though i guess.

Odin
16-05-2005, 22:47
I'd love to see a series focusing on Boba Fett as he becomes the most notorious Bounty Hunter in the galaxy. I reckon they'll probably go for good guys as the main characters though - Chewbacca and Han? (I can't see anyone other than Harrisson Ford as Han though)

Samoth
17-05-2005, 01:26
A TV series set over 20 years? One episode for each year or something?

(Evil)Ash
17-05-2005, 01:54
I'd love to see a series focusing on Boba Fett as he becomes the most notorious Bounty Hunter in the galaxy. I reckon they'll probably go for good guys as the main characters though - Chewbacca and Han? (I can't see anyone other than Harrisson Ford as Han though)

apparently it will not be focussed around one of the key characters (I don't know if Boba could be seen as one of these), though focussing on boba would be great. and actually having a bad guy (well is he really that bad? I'm mean he's just doing his job) as the main character would be interresting and maybe somewhat refreshing .

greetz,

theimp
17-05-2005, 03:56
As I read it there's two series in the works. One CGI and one live action. I'm not a huge fan of total CGI productions, but if anybody can do it it's Lucas and ILM.

As for the plot line? I've got an odd feeling that it will center around a unit of clones. I was flipping through an episode three book earlier today and it goes into great detail about how the clone army is broken down and the existence of "elite clones". I think that there's a lot of potential there for stories as the characters differentiate over time. They would also save money on voice talent.

Cypher
17-05-2005, 14:39
Actually I've heard about three possible shows. There's a Clone Wars style show being done in CG, and two live action ones rumoured. One of these will fill the story somehow, but the other apparently is going to focus on one of the fringe characters.

Whatever happens it should be very cool. Just hope George isnt the one doing the writing.

tzeentchgiant
17-05-2005, 15:16
I hope they stay away from the main story line of the films, just concentrating on the action, with no politics or relation to the main events concerning the other characters. Whilst I think it is still important that they at least elude to what is happening in other areas of space.

Does anyone understand what I mean, even I don't

Man I'm confused

TG

Minister
17-05-2005, 15:16
Everyone dies. It's the final and only lasting justice. Evil exists; it is intelligence in the service of entropy. When the side of a mountain slides down to kill a village, this is not evil, for evil requires intent. Should a sentient being cause that landslide, there is evil; and requires Justice as a consequence, so that civilization can exist. There is no greater good than Justice, and only if law serves Justice is it good law. It is said correctly that law exists not for the Just but for the unjust, for the Just carry the law in their hearts, and do not need to call it from afar. I bow to no one and I give service only for cause. - Boba Fett, Tales of the Bounty Hunters

Archaon
18-05-2005, 14:42
I don't know if it is wise to set a show in a time period where there are no official Jedi safe for Vader and Palpatine.

One of the greatest appeals of SW are Lightsaber battles, Force Users and the cool stuff they do.
Unless they deviate from official storylines it would be very hard for the producers to include heavy Jedi action since Kenobi and Yoda are hiding, Luke and Leia are infants and Vader/Emperor are no action characters (mostly).

It would be best if they did a show set a couple of decades or centuries before (Knights of the Old Republic era) or post movie era (Luke establishing the new Jedi Order..he would also fit agewise).

But anyway..i'm quite excited how they'll do the show. Maybe it will be really good if Lucas keeps his nose out of it :p

Odin
18-05-2005, 15:42
apparently it will not be focussed around one of the key characters (I don't know if Boba could be seen as one of these), though focussing on boba would be great. and actually having a bad guy (well is he really that bad? I'm mean he's just doing his job) as the main character would be interresting and maybe somewhat refreshing .

Actually, come to think of it, the films are centred around a bad guy!

It would be best if they did a show set a couple of decades or centuries before (Knights of the Old Republic era) or post movie era (Luke establishing the new Jedi Order..he would also fit agewise).

That idea I like. Lucas said he doesn't want to do any more films because the series is about the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. But if the series isn't about Vader (or maybe it is?), there's no reason not to set it after the fall of the Empire - I understand there's lots of good novels set in this period (haven't read any yet - can anyone suggest where I should start?).

I agree that it would be a bit naff without a bit of lightsaber action - perhaps there are a few Jedi who survive Episode III and get hunted down by Vader in the following few years?

Archaon
18-05-2005, 16:13
A good start would be the first trilogy by Timothy Zahn..Heir to the Empire.

A Grand Admiral of the Empire strikes at the new Republic is the basic premise and these are what rekindled interest in Star Wars again in the 90s. A good read although it has some huge plot holes and "convenient" plot developments to push the story forward (it is strange how the main heroes are always at the correct place to spoil the enemies' plans in such a big galaxy).

After that there are multiple possibilities..series like X-Wing and stand-alone trilogys/books or you can try your hand on the New Jedi Order series (19 books) which has a huge plot arc about an alien species invading the Star Wars galaxy but to fully appreciate this series and all the characters appearing you have to be quite adapt at EU (Expanded Universe) material.

Odin
18-05-2005, 19:22
Cheers. That's a lot of books - the only ones I've read are the Boba Fett trilogy.

I need to find a library with lots of Star Wars novels...

Cypher
19-05-2005, 08:02
In Ep3 Lucas actually makes a point to leave the door open so to speak with regards to surviving Jedi. And as I understand Vader does spend a lot of time hunting down the remainder. So it could work.

Cheesejoff
19-05-2005, 09:41
My guess is that it's a lone jedi of some sort, being hunted down by the Empire, hopefully with no cheesey script.

VanHel
19-05-2005, 09:43
I would like to see the ancient history done. The original split of the sith from the order and the ancient masters that eventually brought the sith to korriban and possibly the hyperspace wars. Oh.....Ajunta Pall pwning jedi........

Odin
19-05-2005, 10:23
Probably not practical from a make-up point of veiw, but I'd love to see a series about Kit Fisto - he's just such a cool Jedi. A bit like the Boba Fett of the prequels (minor character but very popular one).

Of course, I won't get to see the film for another hour and seven minutes, so I don't know if he dies in that or not.

Wraith
19-05-2005, 10:57
I agree with Archaon -- the great appeal of Stars Wars for me was the Jedi and the Sith and their apposing philosophies and a star wars TV series without this element is probably not going to be liked by me.

I know a lot of you like Boba Fett, storn troopers, droids, the space battles etc which is cool it's just I always felt that was all just a (rich) setting for my real interest - force users.

VanHel
20-05-2005, 05:24
As I said, just cover the hyperspace wars where the sith and jedi fought.

Nid
20-05-2005, 07:11
http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/shortfilms/troops/

30 megs, but by god they could do a series about Stormtroopers!

WATCH THE VIDEO IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Samoth
20-05-2005, 07:47
For me the greatest appeal of star wars is the sci-fi. Not jedi, but space battles and epic ground battles with lasers and such. Not to mention the various politics the keep the (new) republic together. But for me it's the era after episode 6 that I'm most intrested in, and there are far fewer jedi, and even towards the new jedi order end of things, less than the old republic had.

So I wont mind either way. I suppose it depends if they try to market it to the masses or the fans. Everyone know's who Luke Skywalker is. Very few random people know who, say, corran horn is.

(but again, different era)

Warlord Gnashgrod
20-05-2005, 22:29
Maybe they'll also show the creation of the rebel alliance. But I think they could maybe have a Jedi or 2 in it. I doubt that all of them were killed off in Ep 3.

Lainer
22-05-2005, 01:17
I would like to see a series about a group of pilots, really liked the x-wing series.

Cypher
22-05-2005, 14:09
Im guessing the story will revolve around the formation of the alliance. It'd be a fair bet that Jimmy Smits might be in it, and apparently one of the Jedi Masters (other than Yoda and Obi-Wan) survive Order 66.