PDA

View Full Version : Where to put Army General

wilsongrahams
22-10-2009, 08:57
Hi guys, just wondering where and more importantly, why, you position your general or even other characters where you do during deployment.

If on foot, is he, in a unit, on his own between some, or hiding at the back?

If mounted, on his own, or with cavalry.

I assume monster-mounted characters will always be alone so there is little to explain there.

Is the protection of a unit better than being trapped with them?

Is it too risky to stand alone, even next to another unit?

Do you change a 20 strong unit in 5x4 ranks to 7x3 when you put your character there to make it neater?

Just wondering, after my Lord got caught when his unit fled and was wasted with them. It was an unlucky roll, but he managed to do little and I was thinking of trying him on his own a little more. What do you think?

Lijacote
22-10-2009, 09:03
I'm pretty sure monster-mounted characters can join units if the mounts aren't flying. Stegadons, for example.

The Red Scourge
22-10-2009, 09:10
Depends on the army, the function of the general etc.

My WoC heroes like to hang out on their own - or with a little retinue of dogs or horsemen for missile protection. They need mobility not power, while the army units are more than capable on their own.

My VC are quite cautious - and so they should be, as the army needs the general.

And my wood elves really couldn't care less about the lives of their generals - in fact they'd prefer not to have one :D

wilsongrahams
22-10-2009, 09:12
Thanks, I am aware they CAN but usually are not in my experience. As my only monster-riding character is on a Dragon, it is little use trying to put him with another unit, so I kinda skipped that bit as it didn't apply to me, but you are right, that could also be a useful thing to discuss - eg, Khorne Lord on Daemonic Mount in Knights for example.

I also ALWAYS keep my Vampire in a regiment for protection, however that is because I haven't painted one up mounted yet, and then he may join some Blood Knights but will still be in a unit usually.

I suppose Chaos characters are simply hard enough to survive on their own.

Would say, a Goblin Warboss need protection of a 30 strong unit or can he hide in a smaller unit for the mobility?

My main army is High Elves and I tend to field the general with Swordmasters for an elite unit, but it does attract a lot of firepower...

Lord of Skulls
22-10-2009, 10:08
For my Warriors of Chaos Army, my Exalted Champion general usually rides around with his retinue of Chaos Knights. This makes the unit strong enough to run through most enemy units in a single turn, and they can take a charge from almost anything and still win.

My Sorcerers usually go in Marauder blocks if on foot, and in Horsemen units if mounted. If I use a BSB he will most likely be mounded for the extra save, but still join a Marauder block, so as many units as possible get the effect of the Banner of the Gods.

For my Empire army it is simply a matter of putting my Arch Lector and two sorceresses in each of my three Swordsmen units, while the Captain and his Pegasus deploys somewhere out of sight, preferably as close as possible to enemy artillery ;)

Condottiere
22-10-2009, 10:20
First of all, you need to define the role that your general plays in the army; then, what upgrades he has to allow him to play that role, At this point, you can decide in what position he's fielded in relation to the rest of the army and with what unit.

Humans are neither renowned for great characteristics nor leadership, so the most sensible position for a Human general is in the midst of his army, usually on a barded warhorse and wearing the best protective gear he can afford, with a heavy duty bodyguard assigned to him.

Desert Rain
22-10-2009, 11:13
With my High Elves I have an Archmage as my general, so I try to hide her in either the archer unit or with the bolt thrower crew or the swordmasters depending on the opponent and how the terrain is placed. It pays of the flexible in positioning the general in the most optimal place for each battle and not just place him in the same place every time just because you always do that.

Keller
22-10-2009, 16:09
Depends on the army, the function of the general etc. This couldn't be more true.

For Empire, typically, my General goes in the middle of my battle line, deployed in a block of infantry. I usually need the Ld boost to my units much more than any combat prowess, but it is too difficult to protect him on his own. Same for Dogs of War.

For Ogres, my Tyrant tends to be a bit more independent, often being deployed on his own, or with a small unit. Depending on enemy set up, he may be used to bolster the Ld of my line, or set off on his own to slay some bad-guys. Shooting/magic of the enemy usually helps me decide whether to hide in units or not, but seldom are my units large enough to completely protect him anyway.

Vampires: Again, usually in the center of my line to allow marching of all nearby units and to aid with magic when able.

Dwarves: Usually in some infantry block looking for combat. Usually used to boost combat res by making kills, since the Ld boost is almost not noticable. Would freely roam on his own if not so slow.

The Red Scourge
22-10-2009, 16:52
My main army is High Elves and I tend to field the general with Swordmasters for an elite unit, but it does attract a lot of firepower...

Attracting firepower is one great use of characters. An example is my WoC Jugger BSB. He usually deploys in a unit of dogs, and they're usually gone after my opponents first turn, but dead dogs doesn't stop a chaos army, and every shot spent on killing dogs, is a shot that could have felled a chaos knight - the BSB will charge on his own anyways.

This of course should only be used with expendable units - like dogs. Or units capable of withstanding the punishment like trolls. And the character needs to pose a threat on his own - nurgle snipers, khorne jugger BSB etc.

A use of a HE character in a unit of swordsmen used by my HE opponent is a hero with the 3 S5 shots bow and a great weapon. Swordmasters need to get in CC to be of any use, and the bow forces the opponent to engage them - and there is absolutely no fun in engaging swordmasters with a bunch of ASF S5 and the heros S6 attacks :p

Haravikk
22-10-2009, 17:13
I like to have a combat lord or hero as my general, and tend to put him with a suitably hard-hitting combat unit in the centre of my line. In the thick of things is the best place for your general, as that's where units are going to be making panic tests etc. that benefit from your general's leadership.

Even if I had a general on a flying mount I'd likely keep him close (but possibly behind) the main-line, and use the flying move to get him into enemy flanks when the fighting really begins.

Condottiere
22-10-2009, 17:23
I think that at 2K, if you're being defensive, a Wizard Lord with a good view, in a bunch of hard troops and surrounded by war-machines might be more optimal.

Gekiganger
22-10-2009, 17:35
Playing skaven, mounts are not an option for a warlord (although thats soon to change), always deploy him in a unit. In regards to the 5x4 -> 7x3 thing, I always take the character into account, if they're going to have a character in the unit a 20 strong unit will usually be 19 etc. Vain I know, but that's how I roll.

wilsongrahams
22-10-2009, 19:04
Thanks for the replies guys, there wasn't any specific role I have for my Lord other than to keep the centre of my line holding and to just be awesome.

He usually has Armour of Caledor, Great Weapon, Vambraces of Defence and Gem of Courage. Not the most expensive character but very surviveable and has fits well with the unit I tend to stick him in. Plus he doesn't really need a fancy magic weapon with ASF and +2 S. I also usually give his unit the Lion Standard. I tend to keep one fast flank and one shooty flank and with a solid centre it's a sweeping motion taking out the enemy.

I go for the 7 wide unit as that gives me 7 models to attack against a 5 wide enemy usually, and the kills usually make more difference than one point of rank bonus. 19 S5 WS6+ ASF hits from my front rank.. hehe.

Crube
22-10-2009, 21:26
Thread moved to WFB Tactics

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

Tarian
22-10-2009, 21:44
I put my Lord in my Dragon Princes (He's mounted, Star Lance, and very survivable.) The Princes tend to be towards the center of my army, providing leadership/etc.

Positioning within the units is pretty important too. My Lord's designed to go toe to toe with most enemy characters, hence he goes in the middle of the unit so he can line up on them. My mages and BSB are more valuable alive than fighting, so they tend to sit on the corners of units when possible to avoid as many attacks as possible.

[M][C][T][T][T] M= Mage C = Champion T = Trooper

(This way the Champ can even suck out characters who run at the mage by themselves with a challenge!)

Necromancy Black
23-10-2009, 00:41
Slann goes into the TG usually, and rains hell onto the enemy.
I also like to field him solo at times, behind the main line and doing the same job.

Old-Blood goes on a Cold One in a unit of Cold One Riders. The COR are there to soak up damage to get my Old Blood where I want, and if some are still alive when he gets there the better!

wilsongrahams
23-10-2009, 06:41
I put my Lord in my Dragon Princes (He's mounted, Star Lance, and very survivable.) The Princes tend to be towards the center of my army, providing leadership/etc.

Positioning within the units is pretty important too. My Lord's designed to go toe to toe with most enemy characters, hence he goes in the middle of the unit so he can line up on them. My mages and BSB are more valuable alive than fighting, so they tend to sit on the corners of units when possible to avoid as many attacks as possible.

[M][C][T][T][T] M= Mage C = Champion T = Trooper

(This way the Champ can even suck out characters who run at the mage by themselves with a challenge!)

That Champion trick is a great idea, I always use my Mage in the corner too, but because the cloak won't allow him to fit anywahere else! I think I'll rearrange the command group of my Spearmen to protect the Mage better.

I think I'm too soft to be willing to sacrifice troops when playing as Elves but as you say, getting him there is the most important thing - and then he can get vengeance! Like Bruce Willis, but with long hair and pointy ears...

ps: Thanks for moving it. I realised too late it should have been in Tactics.

ChaosVC
23-10-2009, 09:59
Simple, when you plan your list, decide what is the role of your general and design a list around him. If he is not important, just stick him on a monster steed and go on a rampage.