PDA

View Full Version : Zombie pirates VS vampire counts 2000 pts

Agoz
22-10-2009, 14:06
Alright, I just played a game against vampire counts with my zombie pirates! Arrr! heres the lists, though I'm not sure about the vampire count stuff

Vampire counts (my opponent)

Lords and heroes:
Vlad
vampire with helm of command +plus stuff
vampire BSB with drakonhoff banner +plus bloodlines?

Core:

10 skeletons
10 skeletons
10 skeletons

Special:
graveguard block (maybe 25?)
banner of the barrows
full command
(BSB and Vlad went here)

Rare:
9 wraiths +1 Banshee

Zombie pirate list (me)

Luthor Harkon
Fleet captain with Bloody Bill's Buckler and Firewater
Fleet captain BSB with Dead man's chest

Core:
25 Deckhands, with banner (characters go here)
20 zombie gunners with brace of pistols and banner
10 zombie gunners
Bloated corpse
Bloated corpse
Bloated corpse
Bloated corpse
Bloated corpse

Special:
Carronade
10 Deck gunners
3 animated hulks
3 animated hulks

Rare:
Undead Leviathan
Queen Bess

Deployment and battlefield:

QB________DGDG____GGGG___RL__=_______

Terrain:
^^^^ = impassible rock
===== = river

Vampire counts units:

G= grave guard
S= skeleton
W= wraith
V= vampire with helm of command

Zombie pirate units:

D= Deckhands
GP= gunners with pistols
G= gunners
B= bloated corpse
DG= deck guns
c= carronade
AH= animate hulks
RL= rotting leviathan
QB= queen bess

Turn one:

The VC got the first turn, and held still, going straight into the magic phase.
Vlad cast summon undead hoard, creating a new 18 man unit of zombies between the rocks and the skeletons, I stopped the rest of the casting for the turn with Luthor's dispell dice.

I moved my Deckhands, carronade, and pistol gunners on the right flank up slowly, and moved the animated hulks to help flank.

The animated hulks on the left flank also moved up, although slower due to their distance from the general, the bloated corpses moved up, but I made sure to leave gaps in between them, so the gunners behind them could still shoot. The rotting leviathan moved a little, but not much, I didn't want the wraiths getting to it.

My cannons ended up coming short, and most of the deck gunners were out of range, and the ones that were not, missed or hit themselves, so I took one casualty to the deckgunners

turn 2:

The vampire count player moved the wraiths into range to charge my deckhand mob, along with luthor, and my two fleet captains. The rest of the army held still. In the magic phase, he added more zombies to the ever growing hoard next to the boulder, but thats it.

I charged the animated hulks into the zombies, and moved my deckhands into flame template range of the wraiths. the rest of the army moved slowly forward, making sure the cannons and guns had line of sight.
I shot the cannons at the skeletons in front of the vampire, making sure that any stray shots would go straight through him. The queen bess killed a few skeletons, but missed the vampire, the carronade however, landed right on the vampire, killing him! I fired the firewater into the wraiths, hoping to cause a wound or two before entering battle, with no luck.

The animated hulks fluffed their attacks and only caused four wounds to the zombies, leading to a drawn combat.

Turn 3:

The wraiths charged into Luthor's unit, and the skeleton units in the army moved forward a little, The graveguard bunker had gotten itself stuck behind the hoard of zombies, keeping it far away from the wraiths. I stopped the vampire count magic phase cold. In combat, I issued a challenge with Luthor, and he refused with the banshee. The wraiths caused two wounds to Luthor, killed one of my fleet captains, and caused one wound to the battlestandard bearer. My fleet captain caused three wounds in return. the wraiths took a further four wounds due to combat resolution.

On my turn, I charged the pistol gunners into the flank of the wraiths, and moved the animated hulks on the left flank into charge range with the leftmost skeleton unit. The queen bess knocked down seven grave guard, and the carronade killed a few skeletons.
I fired the deck gunners again, killing one skeleton and two deck gunners.
In the close combat phase, the fleet captain caused two more wounds, and the wraiths caused 4 or so more wounds to my zombie pirates. All but three wraiths died due to combat resolution.

Turn 4:

He moved his grave guard to try and get past the zombies, but he was still out of range of the wraiths to help them with combat resolution. The skeletons turned to face my left flankers. He cast summon undead hoard, restoring his grave guard, skeletons, and adding more zombies to the zombie unit. During the close combat phase, the last three wraiths died due to combat resolution, and the animated hulks continued to chew through the zombie hoard, taking one wound in return.

On my turn, I charged the animated hulks into the left skeletons, and moved my deckhands, gunnery mob, carronade, and leviathan to surround the place where I thought the grave guard would move to. in the shooting phase, the carronade killed more skeletons, and the queen bess miss-fired, rolling a three, so it wouldn't be firing for two turns. In the close combat phase, my animated hulks finished off the zombies, and the other animated hulks killed all but two of the leftmost skeletons.

Turn 5:

The graveguard moved to face my animated hulks, and one skeleton unit charged my left flank animated hulks, which was already in combat with the remnants of the other skeletons. During the magic phase, he used danse macabre to charge my animated hulks. in the close combat phase, the graveguard bunker killed the right flank animated hulks, and my animated hulks killed all but two skeletons again on the left flank, taking one wound
The graveguard overran, and ended up right in front of my carronade.

In my turn, I charged the bloated corpses into the remaining skeleton unit, and moved my troops again to surround the graveguard unit. In the shooting phase, I fired grapeshot into the grave guard, but rolled a two for the strength, and only managed to kill three grave guard. The animated hulks on the left flank killed the remaining skeletons, and the bloated corpses lost combat with their own skeletons by one point.

Turn 6:

The grave guard turned to face my deckhands, and used danse macabre to charge Luthor's unit. In the close combat phase, Vlad caused one wound to Luthor, and Luthor killed the battlestandard bearer. My own BSB was killed in a challenge with the grave guard champion, and I lost more zombie deckhands. The bloated corpses all died, and exploded, causing four wounds to the skeletons in their death throws.

On my turn, I charged my Leviathan and pistol gunners into the flanks of the grave guard, and charged my left flank animated hulks into the last unit of skeletons. There was nothing to shoot, so I went straight to close combat.
Vlad finished off Luthor with one wound that I failed to save, Luthor did not manage to wound Vlad due to his ward save. the grave guard proceeded to kill several zombies, we lost by a few points, but it didn't matter, the game was over.

Units left on the zombie pirate side:
Deck gunners
Gunnery mob
Gunnery mob
bloated corpse
carronade
1/2 deckhands
queen bess
rotting leviathan
animated hulks

Units left on the vampire counts side:
Vlad
grave guard

I also managed to capture two table quarters, though he did manage to kill luthor on the last turn of the game.

Result: victory for the zombie pirates! ha ha!

GuyLeCheval
22-10-2009, 14:09
Yay for the zombie pirates!

Well played sir! Aye-aye!

Malorian
22-10-2009, 14:10
Very foolish of your opponent to start with such small units of skeletons when he wasn't that magic heavy.

But good to see the pirates win for once ;)

Awilla the Hun
22-10-2009, 14:11
It's good to see that someone actually made an army of them at all.

Keep posting reports of them, please! It's interesting to see them in action.

the iron king
22-10-2009, 14:25
i really like the pirets(either the list and the models)nice to hear that someone play them.

selone
22-10-2009, 15:35
Big kudos to you sir, even if I have no idea what the list does !

Agoz
22-10-2009, 16:44
heres a link to the list I was using, it was released in white dwarf around the lustria campaign.

http://sgabetto.free.fr/Telechargements/War.CZombiePirates.pdf

notice the "whole army has braindead and therefore strikes last rule"

Its a fun army, but it is rare for me to win, and even rarer still to win against the clearly superior vampire counts army book. Thats why I couldn't resist putting up a report ;)

selone
22-10-2009, 16:56
Lol thats a hilarous list ! If only I had any modelling skills!

Agoz
22-10-2009, 17:04
I love playing the army, and I always get such nice responses about it, I'd recommend it to anyone thinking about starting a non-tournament list. Just don't expect to win much and everything will be fine! :P

N810
22-10-2009, 18:05
Davy Jones would be proud. :skull:

SevenSins
22-10-2009, 21:19
Arrh! very nice matey!
glad to see the old put the beating on the new. Would love to see an updated version of that army (unlikely to happen though)

Darnok
22-10-2009, 21:25
Winning with tha pirates is an event worth mentioning, for sure. Arr, well done!

Great to see other ZP players, and even better to see somebody winnign with them. Any chances to see some pictures of your stuff?

Agoz
22-10-2009, 23:12
I've got some old pictures of some of my minis, I've since painted another unit though, heres what I had when I started the army: :)

Luthor Harkon:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/Luthor_Harkon/IM000877-1.jpg

Animated hulks:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/Luthor_Harkon/IMG_0203.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/Luthor_Harkon/IMG_0204.jpg

Fleet captain:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/Luthor_Harkon/IM000891.jpg

Rotting leviathan:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/Luthor_Harkon/IM000734.jpg

The Queen Bess:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff231/Luthor_Harkon/IM000879.jpg

The photos weren't taken with a great camera, but there they are!

TheSanityAssassin
23-10-2009, 00:30
Go Go Zombie Pirates!

I remember playing against this list with my High Elves....It did not go well for him, though it was a blast of a game. Great to see them win!

Threeshades
23-10-2009, 00:39
Awesome! The White Dwarf armies are always the best, Gnoblars, Zombie Pirates.

Awilla the Hun
23-10-2009, 07:09
How exactly did the Octopus get on dry land?

Dungeon_Lawyer
23-10-2009, 08:42
thanks for posting this--awesome army-awesome win!

Darnok
23-10-2009, 10:10
Thanks for the pictures, quite some nice sights. :)

What model is that Fleet Captain? And I'd love to see some more pŘictures, perhaps a current group shot. If you don't mind you could have a look at some of my ZP, just follow my signatures link to my Plog thread. I'd be thankful for comments or more inspiration.

Agoz
23-10-2009, 15:28
The fleet captain is Captain Rengrave from warmachine: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cryx/solos/captain-rengrave

I might post some of my other stuff if I ever find my camera :)

As to how an octopus got on dry land... its undead, it simply crawled up.

Alcibiades
23-10-2009, 17:10
Is there really a magic item (Sloppy Cruishank's Long Lost Cutlass) in that list, only usable by characters who have killing blow already, that just gives killing blow?

I love GW.

selone
23-10-2009, 17:28
Yeah I noticed that too, k-razy!

Agoz
23-10-2009, 23:13
Yeah, it is in there :p I kinda get the feeling they meant to make it the same as the sword of kings(same points) , but didn't proofread it properly. Which is a shame, because I'd use it if it did work that way.

But then again, I had heard they had planned on adding more to the list, including a new hero choice, and never got around to it, so that might be the reason.

w3rm
24-10-2009, 16:26
That is *******' AWESOME!!! I am thinking there might be a super slight possibility of me doing this. But I just wanted to know if anyone would not be OK with me using Just normal zombies a zombies with Brace of Pistols.

PS- Your list is illegal. Bess takes a special and a rare choice and you have 4 specials already.

Agoz
24-10-2009, 17:25
That is *******' AWESOME!!! I am thinking there might be a super slight possibility of me doing this. But I just wanted to know if anyone would not be OK with me using Just normal zombies a zombies with Brace of Pistols.

PS- Your list is illegal. Bess takes a special and a rare choice and you have 4 specials already.

:( oh! your right, well, I'll have to remember that for next time.

The best way to make zombies with brace of pistols, is to take a few boxes of militia, and a few boxes of zombies, and make your deckhands, and then take all the pistols in the militia boxes and combine them together on a single unit, and have those be the brace of pistol zombies. Thats what I did anyway.

I wouldn't take pistol gunnery mobs as all of your core, they have a max unit size of twenty, and a weaponskill of 2, while deckhands have a weaponskill of 3, which does come in handy from time to time. though it is kind of funny to fire forty pistol shots into a large target and blow away a chunk of your own unit :p

As for the extra special slot, I'll probably just take out the deckguns, they don't do much.
Though now I'm tempted to build another leviathan and just ignore the queen bess all together.

w3rm
24-10-2009, 17:33
I dont see the point of Zombie crew though. They cant kill anything, are rapidly killed and most decent sized units will tear through them like a piece of wet paper. With the gunnery crews they can actually do something...

Agoz
24-10-2009, 19:56
Well, they do get a bigger unit size, which makes them more usefull as a bunker for characters, plus with the increased weaponskill, against other low weaponskill troops, they aren't going to lose as many soldiers. They are also 2 points cheaper per model.

pistol gunnery mobs still always strike last, so the extra attack usually won't come into play. And they do as much damage to themselves as to the enemy when they shoot, and they can't stand and shoot (which would be nice)

They are still worth taking, but more as a support unit than a main line troop, thats just my opinion though, as both units are still terrible when compared to other things :)

Edit: In 6th edition when they could fire pistols in combat, they were probably pretty decent, but right now, 8 points is alot for what your getting.

Keller
26-10-2009, 17:21
Yeah, it is in there :p I kinda get the feeling they meant to make it the same as the sword of kings(same points) , but didn't proofread it properly. Which is a shame, because I'd use it if it did work that way.

But then again, I had heard they had planned on adding more to the list, including a new hero choice, and never got around to it, so that might be the reason.
I had heard that, too. Its a shame, because its a great list as is, but is needed a bit more work. Sure, it was never intended to be a fully competative list, but it sure is fun. I've started thinking again that I might have to assemble my own, since I love zombies and can always use more of them anyway. I guess it would be a good use for my 2+ boxes of zombies and 2+ boxes of militia which are still in my closet. Besides, my VC force can always use some more zombies, right?

Perhaps someone should rework the magic items and characters to complete the list, making it have some more variation in friendly games.

Edit: In 6th edition when they could fire pistols in combat, they were probably pretty decent, but right now, 8 points is alot for what your getting. My thoughts exactly. +2 points (over deckhands) for +1 A at WS2 isn't that great, especially since pretty much everything will hit on a 3+. If they could stand and shoot, it would be a different story, but as it is, I'm not convinced. I'd probably go with units of 12, used as detachments for my regular crew.

Gee, thanks, Agoz! Just what I needed, another project on my plate....:p

Agoz
26-10-2009, 17:33
Well, I'd sure like to see some more Zombie pirate lists, and it would be even better if people didn't give up on playing them after losing some :p

Keller
26-10-2009, 17:54
Well, I'd sure like to see some more Zombie pirate lists, and it would be even better if people didn't give up on playing them after losing some :p

Perhaps it would be best to try some scenarios other than simple pitched battles to help make the ZP's more competative. I forget the name of it, but I have a scenario found during the SoC campaign where one side recycles all units by marching them on from their deployment zone when destroyed. Or something more simple as a +10-20% points for the ZP's.

Just some food for thought. (BRAINS!)

Agoz
26-10-2009, 18:14
I find that making use of water terrain features can be very useful, a river down one quarter of the board can slow half an opponents army, while being completely irrelevant to the pirates.

Awilla the Hun
26-10-2009, 20:50
Keller, I know from experience that nothing is wrong with WS2.

Agoz
26-10-2009, 20:59
From my own experience, the difference between weaponskill 3 and 2 is being hit on a 3+ against average troops, and being hit on a 4+ by average troops. Also hitting a weaponskill 5 guy on a 4+ instead of a 5+. But the point I'm trying to make is, the pistols won't do any damage, zombies will all be killed before they get a chance to attack whether they are deckhands or gunners.

A 20 man gunnery mob with pistols costs 160pts
a 25 man deckhands mob with a standard bearer costs 160pts

I just don't think the pistol armed zombies are good enough to warrant that kind of a points change.

Still, I use them as support units, just because they are interesting, not because t)hey neccessarily preform any better. And the barrage of pistol shots can soften up an enemy for the deckhands to engage, along with the characters in the army. (though not by much, hitting on 6's means you'll get around 2 hits from a 5 frontage unit, and hit yourself the same number of times)

eagletsi1
01-11-2009, 12:36
By the way they errata the Cutlass to say gains killing blow on a 5+ instead of a 6.

Agoz
02-11-2009, 02:39
when did they do that?

eagletsi1
05-11-2009, 14:46
A while ago. They released an updated errata to the list in WD. I have the hard copy, but will search for a PDF.

Someone on this site must have it.

Agoz
05-11-2009, 18:09
Wow, not thats something I'd like to have, which white dwarf was it in?