PDA

View Full Version : Screening

GWItheUltimate
23-10-2009, 03:10
Hi,

I often hear about screeing and how this is a good strategy...

But I'd like to have some explanations about what you are refering as "screening".

If I juste put 5 chaos Warhounds in front of my Chaos Knights (bcs I'm a WoC player but the concept is the same for all army), then, ok, the opponent cannot charge me... but the next turn, I won't be able to charge him either... So I don't see how this can be that good...

Can you guys tell how you use this strategy efficiently ???

Thanks ! :D

Ultimate Life Form
23-10-2009, 03:20
The case you mentioned may be helpful in conjunction with frenzied troops. Frenzied troops must charge anything in reach, but this allows the enemy to bait them with cheap units, leading to the dreaded flank charge. For example, I have a super-killy unit of Blood Knights for 400 pts that is the center of my army. Enemy places some minor distraction within their charge range, for example a cheap flyer or something and moves a block into position. I must charge, enemy flees, and next turn, enemy gets the flank charge and crumbles my Blood Knights into submission. However, if I 'screen' them with a few Dire Wolves so they cannot see anything, they won't charge and this prevents my super-unit from dying.

Usually though, screening is supposed to save your troops a turn or two of shooting. I understand WoC players exclude shooting phase from their thinking process, but having a few Skaven Slaves in front of your main army means the enemy must spend a turn firing at these cheap entirely expendeble buggers instead of a more promising target. (Which, according to Skaven lore, is their purpose in life.)

ULFtheUltimate

Condottiere
23-10-2009, 03:27
Cheap skirmishers in front of your main force can perform two functions:

1. Absorb missile damage

2. Run away from charges, leaving the charging units dangerously exposed to your missile units.

Witchblade
23-10-2009, 04:24
If I juste put 5 chaos Warhounds in front of my Chaos Knights (bcs I'm a WoC player but the concept is the same for all army), then, ok, the opponent cannot charge me... but the next turn, I won't be able to charge him either... So I don't see how this can be that good...

Can you guys tell how you use this strategy efficiently ???

Declare a charge with your hounds before declaring a charge with your knights and the knights will have a clear path. Sometimes you can only charge the same target with screen and hammer.

GWItheUltimate
23-10-2009, 12:29
I think you must declare all your charges before actually moving the unit... This way you couldn't charge witht the knights cause they don't see the target...

Sirroelivan
23-10-2009, 12:33
They'll often see the target, just be unable to actually charge it with the hounds right in front of them.

101st Vostroyan
24-10-2009, 06:23
The entire point of screening is to protect valuable units with weak units.

Skirmishers seem like a good choice for this as they can get out of the way quickly for your hard hitters to get into position.

blackjack
24-10-2009, 07:00
If you are screening to protect more valuable troops from shooting be aware of the actual math hammer involved. I remember reading some excellent spread sheets that showed using skirmish skinks to shield regular saurus from shooting str 4 and less was actually a waste of points as you lose more points in skinks on average (due to higher casualties) than if you just let the shots fall on saurus.

PeG
24-10-2009, 11:36
Also remember that your screen doesnt have to be directly in front of the unit they are screening. Instead they are supposed to be between your screened unit and whatever you are screening them against. Having hounds between your chaos knights and your opponents organ gun might be the difference between losing 30 points of dogs instead of 280 points of knights (even if not all of them die already a couple of lost models will severly decrease the efficacy of the unit).

Also you might need to screen frenzied units froim charging. As others have pointed out make sure that your frenzied unit can see their target when charges are declared and declare achrage with your screen first.

Finally the screening unit can often also be used to redirect enemies in a favorable direction allowing you to flank charge them in a later turn.