PDA

View Full Version : Custom/Scratch Built Banners

Bowski
21-01-2006, 05:34
I'm looking for any suggestions on building/converting my own banners, what works and what doesn't?

Orcdom
21-01-2006, 07:58
heavier weight papers
thin plasticard can be heated and shaped, also add green stuff for folds.
thin weight paper with aluminum foil glued to the back to make a flowing banner.

Steve

Neknoh
21-01-2006, 09:09
You take a piece of paper, then you paint your banner on one side, let it dry, paint the other side.

After both sides have dried, paint the entire banner in PVA/Wood glue, let dry for a minute or so so that it doesn't dry completely, then, bend it into shape and let dry

Sandlemad
21-01-2006, 14:32
I once tried to make a banner (a pretty big one) from aluminium from a coke can. Would have worked quite well, it was big, looked surprisingly flowing and would have been easy to paint.
However, I don't recommend it as that stuff is lethal sharp, cuttting my hands up quite badly. If you have experiance with the stuff, then go for it.

Keller
21-01-2006, 15:48
Rolling out greenstuff and cutting it to shape should work. Someone from my gaming group cut piece of car-shammy, the thing used to dry your car when you wash it. It came out looking really great, but I don't remember how he worked with it.

Ifurita
21-01-2006, 16:14
You can also use lead foil from a wine bottle. Fairly thick material that is easy to work with, but will hold it's shape

Makaber
21-01-2006, 17:14
I use aluminium foil from foodstuff tubes. It's pretty easy to work with, being somewhere between coke cans and normal foil. However, I'll probably start using brown stuff, which is similar to green stuff but dries a lot harder. After a day, it's still pliable but not sticky, so I can make a thin sheet of it, let it cure a little, then bend it around some sticks or paint brushes or whatever, and let it dry another day, for a rock hard and flowing result.

Adept
22-01-2006, 15:01
Wow, these all seem a little complicated.

All I've ever done is cut out a double sided version of my banner (so a triangle banner would be cut out as a diamond shape) then fold it in half and glue it around the banner pole with PVA. Bend to shape and let dry. Sturdy, easy, and quick.

Orcdom
22-01-2006, 19:40
then again your would look just like a folded piece of paper. most of these are a way of showing movement.
Steve

ZomboCom
22-01-2006, 22:01
Empty toothpaste tubes. Cut them open, wash and cut to shape. It bends easily and holds it's shape, but is thick enough to be durable.

Verminmistress
24-01-2006, 12:31
Very fine fabric soaked in PVA and moulded to shape looks pretty good, but you have to be really careful that the edges (especially the bits that will be attached to the pole) don't fray, because I've found it's impossible to fix it if that happens.

rowlf
24-01-2006, 17:51
i have used a combination of kitchen foil and green stuff to make a few banners sandwedge the foil between to peices of green stuff then shape. The foil holds the shape of the banner while the green stuff goes off

Commissar von Toussaint
24-01-2006, 18:16
I use a heavier paper, one of the linen grades.

I paint both sides, then wash it and shape it. In some cases, I'll bore some holes in there as well, to give it the "battle standard" look.

Finally, I give it a slight twist to show movement.

However, actual standards - the ones with heavy, gold-embroidered cloth - didn't flutter all that well. So you don't need to make it all wavy and such. A couple of curls are all you need.

Besides, no one likes a flag that just hangs limply on the pole. It should flutter in the wind so people can see it.