PDA

View Full Version : Large target see over units that are on a hill?

TroyJPerez
23-10-2009, 11:20
I think the title of the post says it all. Can Large targets not on a hill, see over and past units that are on a hill blocking another unit? I tried looking through the rulebook but can't find anything on it that clearly says yes or no.

Atrahasis
23-10-2009, 11:40
Terrain is largely played by local convention, not by rulebook rules. Agree with your opponent before the battle.

yoshimo
23-10-2009, 11:41
page 8 interposing models - large targets can see over units
page 8 interposing scenary - in summary, take a models eye view.
combine these 2 and you have: if you can see over the hill without the unit being there from the eye of your large model then you have line of sight
although as above I would clear it with your opponent at the start of the game out of courtesy

Condottiere
23-10-2009, 12:31
Usually, terrain interrupts LoS with few exceptions such as lakes. Normally, we used to explain the properties of a particular terrain as we selected/placed it (otherwise it defaults to infinite height), but we're slowly getting around to standardizing it, with height tiers.

Atrahasis
23-10-2009, 12:33
Usually, terrain interrupts LoS with few exceptions such as lakes. Normally, we used to explain the properties of a particular terrain as we selected/placed it (otherwise it defaults to infinite height), but we're slowly getting around to standardizing it, with height tiers.

It should be noted that everything except "explain the properties as placed" in this post is a house rule.

T10
23-10-2009, 13:21
In our games we consider hills, woods and builds to block line of sight through it, regardless of the size or elevation of the target or observer.

E.g. Two large target models on their separate hills can see each other, but can't see what's behind the other hill.

Its a bit simplistic, but it works for us.

-T10

Whitehorn
23-10-2009, 13:24
The problem with applying model LOS is the huge variance between large model heights and typically naff GW flat hills. My old Manticore model is 1/4 the height of a giant.

yoshimo
23-10-2009, 13:25
I believe the OP is looking for official ruling based on a battle he played and not house rules

yoshimo
23-10-2009, 13:26
The problem with applying model LOS is the huge variance between large model heights and typically naff GW flat hills. My old Manticore model is 1/4 the height of a giant.

Sucks to be your Manticore model then. ;)

kramplarv
23-10-2009, 14:33
I believe the OP is looking for official ruling based on a battle he played and not house rules

and as stated, there are no official rulings...

AndrewGPaul
25-10-2009, 01:18
Or rather, the official rule is "make up some house rules". :)

PeG
25-10-2009, 21:12
I prefer playing that terrain such as woods and hills prevents LOS. Playing it any other way will encourage people to build dragons crawling along the ground, crouching giants etc which is something that I wouldnt want to see on the table.

Condottiere
25-10-2009, 21:54
Why do you think they're called wyrms?

zeekill
25-10-2009, 21:55
Personally i always played large targets are one elevation tier higher than what it is on now, but that is just my house rules.

outbreak
26-10-2009, 04:30
We usually play hills, forests, rocks block LOS for everyone, but once you enter a forest you then become visible but in cover.