PDA

View Full Version : 1999pt High Elf Tournament List

captainsebastian
23-10-2009, 16:06
So normally the Sword Masters have the banner of sorcery but after talking to the organizer I would get hit pretty hard on comp for all the magic I'd bring. So I instead gave them Standard of Balance. In both test games that standard saved them from auto running from losing combat (and even stopped the hatred against the khorne).

Lv 2 Mage
-Seer
-Dispel Scroll

Lv 2 Mage
-Ring of Fury
-Silver Wand

BSB (Dragon Armour, Horse and Barding, Shield)
-Sword of Might
-Helm of Fortune

10 Archers
17 spearmen (Command) (BSB unit)
-warbanner

13 White Lions (command)
-Lion Standard
14 Sword Masters (command)
-Standard of Balance
5 Ellyrian Reavers (Musician, Bows, Spears)
5 Dragon Princes
5 Dragon Princes

2 Bolt throwers

I play this defensively and wait to strike (let the bolt throwers and archers take off ranks, weaken flankers).

Thoughts?

edit: This is not a 2000point list. It has to be 1999points or lower (for high elves 1 core, 5 special, 2 rare, and 3 heros. For others 2 core, 4 special, 1 rare, and 3 heroes). I cant be over powered on some things because there is a heavy comp penalty.

Malorian
23-10-2009, 17:07
Looks like a nice list to me.

Just don't play too defensively or else your opponent will jsut take his time to shoot up those swordmasters...

I also think this is the first list I've seen that actually has ellyrian reavers in it ;)

captainsebastian
23-10-2009, 19:12
I also think this is the first list I've seen that actually has ellyrian reavers in it ;)

I've had mixed results. I used them as anti-fast cal to protect my bolt throwers (4 dire wolves, bats, and bat swarms....yuk...). Last game I placed they march blocked before dying. I wanted to learn how to use them effectively because I don't see them used (that and at 1999points...the lack of an eagle forced me to use them as my redirectors). I like them though....surprisingly the bows really help (taking off that one model to get rid of that rank). That and redirecting, rallying, than doing it again every round is much better than the eagle's ability (except the eagle is 62 points cheaper....so its hard to judge).

Thanks for the response though!

Edit: I retallied the points on my list with a calculator and found that I was 11points short. So I took off 1 spearmen and added a warbanner to that unit. So that spearmen will have my BSB +1 combat res, +3 for the unit (2 ranks, standard) for 4 total (5 if I outnumber). It will still have 17 str 3 asf, 1 str 3 (horse) and 3 str 5 from the character. Its a solid unit now.

D'Haran
23-10-2009, 19:31
Feels like this army could do either really well or very badly depending on who you play. If you play a defensive game though I'd look to max out your rare choices with either 2 RBT or 1 and an eagle, it'll put more pressure to get into combat with you. Also with 4 RBT you can focus fire on block units and literally shred them. (recently I did this to a unit of 12 Chaos Warriors and the unit died to the last man, above average I admit but you get the idea).

I feel as though you made poor choices for your banners, I mean the lion banner and balance? Psychology isn't a huge deal for elves, granted you took no lord choice which means any unit w/o a natural ld of 9 may hurt a little but I don't think they're worth it. Much better would be to take the banner of arcane protection on your SM to make magic useless against them. If an enemy causes fear you probably know it in advance and can deal with it by shooting them up a bit and casting a few spells in order to make it a non-autobreak, but you don't have units that I'd want in a protracted combat anyways so try to set it up as you win in the first round.

Which brings me to your BSB, he has no ward save so his uber reroll armour can be pwned by anyone who ignores armour. Other than that he's not bad, though the sword of might doesn't really to that much for him, I'd rather give him a great weapon and the armour of caledor for about the same pt cost, then slap a ward save on him. But he's still workable as it, though I'd be tempted to give him the sacred incense and put him in the SM.

I'm pretty sure the model with the highest ld value in your army must be the General but you have him as a bsb... I'm not sure if that's legal, you might need another noble.

Some interesting choices, but it feels as though you'll have troubles depending on what army you're against.

captainsebastian
23-10-2009, 23:53
Feels like this army could do either really well or very badly depending on who you play. If you play a defensive game though I'd look to max out your rare choices with either 2 RBT or 1 and an eagle, it'll put more pressure to get into combat with you. Also with 4 RBT you can focus fire on block units and literally shred them. (recently I did this to a unit of 12 Chaos Warriors and the unit died to the last man, above average I admit but you get the idea).

I feel as though you made poor choices for your banners, I mean the lion banner and balance? Psychology isn't a huge deal for elves, granted you took no lord choice which means any unit w/o a natural ld of 9 may hurt a little but I don't think they're worth it. Much better would be to take the banner of arcane protection on your SM to make magic useless against them. If an enemy causes fear you probably know it in advance and can deal with it by shooting them up a bit and casting a few spells in order to make it a non-autobreak, but you don't have units that I'd want in a protracted combat anyways so try to set it up as you win in the first round.

Which brings me to your BSB, he has no ward save so his uber reroll armour can be pwned by anyone who ignores armour. Other than that he's not bad, though the sword of might doesn't really to that much for him, I'd rather give him a great weapon and the armour of caledor for about the same pt cost, then slap a ward save on him. But he's still workable as it, though I'd be tempted to give him the sacred incense and put him in the SM.

I'm pretty sure the model with the highest ld value in your army must be the General but you have him as a bsb... I'm not sure if that's legal, you might need another noble.

Some interesting choices, but it feels as though you'll have troubles depending on what army you're against.

Interesting points sir but I believe you might be mistaken on some of them. I'm not allowed 4 bolt throwers seeing as it is 1999point rules and not the 2000pont rules or higher (1 core, 5 special, 2 rare, and 3 heros for High Elves. 2 core, 4 special, 1 rare, and 3 heroes for others). so I cant do any of those choices.

About the standards I am completely against you on the lion standard. Stubborn is worthless unless you are immune to fear and terror. If I loose combat to a fear causing unit (say a nurgle force, which I fought and lost while being outnumbered many times) my stubborn is reduced to snake eyes. I can see your point on the standard of balance. So far I have nothing but good things with it though....but I'll take arcane banner into consideration.

The fear causing thing...I can shoot up stuff and magic it but I don't have that amount of power dice (if I got more I'd be hit hard on comp) to soften them that up if someone causes fear (generally deamons and vampires will have enough DD to stop most spells). That and if the entire army causes fear your suggestion would be useless (since I cant get four bolt throwers). So I don't see using spells to make sure I don't autobreak a viable and save option.

I'm going to keep the BSB the way it is. I don't face many ignore armour save weapons anymore (its not practical. You have chaos warriors but other than that its undead and dark elves....both are squishy unless you go against their cav/characters). High strength with magical attacks are where it is at.

As for the general, it is the highest leadership of a capable general. Yes my BSB has the highest leadership but since he cant be a general it goes to the next highest...which is my mage.

If you would like to reevaluate the list under the 1999points rules (mentioned earlier) than be my guest. I believe you were under the confusion that I had a 2000point list. Hopefully you understand that to have an effective magic phase I need 2 level 2 mages plus a bound or the jewel of dust since I'd get hit on comp under my banner of sorcery. The BSB is needed for close for my lines (make sure my white lions stay put). I've used him in many games and only fought one no armour weapon weilding character (a dwarf player). Otherwise the standard in many builds is high strength characters. A 1+ rerollable armour save should be sufficiant. A strength 6 hit means I need 4+ twice (if I failed the first roll) compared to a 5+ armour and 5+ ward with what you mentioned.

I did fail to mentioned (by which I am sorry) that my tournament is rules for 1999points and lower...not 2000points. Also the 3 judges will provide heavy comp scores to unsportsman-like armies (he said this one was good the moment I dropped the banner of sorcery).