PDA

View Full Version : What kind of metalhead are YOU?

Brother Smith
16-05-2005, 20:34
A petty disagreement with a friend, but he thinks there are more death metal fans out there than thrashers.

Now I just want to find out which is the most popular genre...

salty
16-05-2005, 20:50
To be honest I could be in either Thrash OR Nu-Metalhead. But I voted Nu Metalhead anyway.

Salty :)

Brother Smith
16-05-2005, 20:51
A new low Liam, a new low...

Riddy
16-05-2005, 21:48
Dunno what one to vote for, i am a fan of Metallicca, Maiden, Slayer, SOAD, Korn etc...i reckon i could fit in about 3 different areas.

anarchistica
16-05-2005, 22:03
Trash, if only because of Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets and ...And Just For All.

Tenoch
16-05-2005, 22:20
The only metal I listen to is either Industrial, Goth or Power and only one of those is on the list :d.

Sgt John Keel
16-05-2005, 22:45
Trash metal, but to a lesser degree numetal and the American new wave.

Looks like your friend is losing.

/Adrian

neXus6
16-05-2005, 22:46
I'm not a metalhead, I'mmore of a punk/ska/reggae man. I do like metal, but 90% of the metalhead's I've met have been arrogant good for nothing ****** which kind of puts me off going to stereotypical metal gigs.

And also I don't fit into any of your categories...there are good bands in most and rubbish bands in most. I like Maiden, Papa Roach, the odd Killswitch and Linkin Park song (the old stuff not this new crap with Jay Z), System of a Down (can't wait for the new album), Raging Speedhorn, Nightwish, Rammstein...your not really going to get much broader than that. :p

Odin
16-05-2005, 23:03
Hmm, I'm kind of a retired metalhead - used to listen to a lot of Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead, Faith No More. Tend to listen to stuff like Ray Charles, Otis Redding and Nina Simone these days. Mainly cos all the bands I used to like have either split up or gone crap, and most of the new stuff is pathetic (System of a Down being a rare beacon of decent music in an otherwise stagnant genre).

Anyway, put me down as Thrash/Heavy metalhead (retd.)

Drabant
16-05-2005, 23:38
Out of the options given, I have a hard choice between Power and Heavy.

arxhon
17-05-2005, 01:23
Industrial metal, but there's not that much that's any good. I listen to death metal, but none of that crap listed, more along the lines of Amon Amarth, Bolt Thrower and Dark Tranquillity. Except Slayer. Why the heck is Slayer in death metal? :confused:

Jonathan =I=
17-05-2005, 02:40
Well you forgot true metal (Black Sabbath) :(

And Iron Maiden is realy new wave british metal. But you put it with Judas priest so heavy metal got my vote.

Ass Goblin
17-05-2005, 02:43
Black Metal for me. Mayhem and Emperor! \m/

Wolflord Bloodangel
17-05-2005, 03:22
Im definitely a new waver myself. Melodic Death, Neo-thrash, Aggro, Numetal... thats the stuff! :D

Melodic Death is definitely the leader though, so I guess Im a death metaller mainly. But here in this town there isnt really differences between a thrash metaller or a death metaller. The scene is pretty much divided just between extreme metal and numetal.
The people you see at the death metal gigs are at the black metal gigs, are at the thrash gigs, the heavy gigs, the power gigs.... in fact most of the gigs have most of those genres represented as it is (though our local scene definitely tends towards a thrashy death sound more often than not)...

Our numetal scene is also really strong, and theres som fine bands there too, but local death is where its at for me :D

Well you forgot true metal (Black Sabbath) :(

And Iron Maiden is realy new wave british metal. But you put it with Judas priest so heavy metal got my vote.
Bah, theyre all just sub genres/different names for Heavy Metal anyway...

Nid
17-05-2005, 04:46
Black, and Symphonic Black and Symphonic Death are where its at for me.

Long Live Children of Bodom! *rocks out to Follow the Shadows and Needles 24/7*

Delicious Soy
17-05-2005, 07:54
Well you forgot true metal Or the 912 other sub genres of metal :p

Wolflord Bloodangel
17-05-2005, 09:51
Black, and Symphonic Black and Symphonic Death are where its at for me.

Long Live Children of Bodom! *rocks out to Follow the Shadows and Needles 24/7*
psst Nid.... Bodom are speedy speedy Speed metal :p

Ass Goblin
17-05-2005, 10:14
Good point Wolflord. COB arn't really Black Metal. Black metal is stuff more like. Mayhem, Immortal, Burzum and early Behemoth.

Symphonic Black is stuff like Dimmu and Emperor.

Beefstick
17-05-2005, 10:33
Hmm, I'm kind of a retired metalhead - used to listen to a lot of Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead, Faith No More. Tend to listen to stuff like Ray Charles, Otis Redding and Nina Simone these days. Mainly cos all the bands I used to like have either split up or gone crap, and most of the new stuff is pathetic (System of a Down being a rare beacon of decent music in an otherwise stagnant genre).

Anyway, put me down as Thrash/Heavy metalhead (retd.)

I second that. Old metalica, GWAR, Motorhead, Danzig, that sort of stuff. Lately I've been listening to a lot of blues. For any interested, look into a band called "The Black Keys". SOD is incredibly good tho. I had thought that Godsmack was going to be worth listenting to, but then their music started showing up in army commewrcials, thus proving their prostitute sellout nature, later confirmed by their second album.

Brother Smith
17-05-2005, 16:55
Slayer are in both categories as they are considered death by some, thrash by others.

I could list more bands. E.g:
These are a few thrash bands.
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer
Anthrax
Testament
Overkill
Nuclear Assualt
Metal Church
Vio-Lence
(Some) Savatage
Annihilator (!!!NEEDED NOISE!!!)
Exodus
Early Iced Earth
Early Blind Guardian
Hawaii
Kreator
King Diamond

The thing is, I really couldn't be arsed to type that out for every genre...

grizzly ruin
17-05-2005, 17:37
You left no option for "I'm not a metalhead".

And I'd just like to leave a quote from a very wise man (me).

"At the end of the day all music is essentially stupid. So, I will listen to whatever music that will assist in gettng me laid."

m1s1n
17-05-2005, 17:46
I'm with Grizzly on this one.

I've always felt that art was finding a way to challenge the genres, mixing in elements of the world that you like. I don't really think that you can truly define which bands are a specific "type of metal".

Riddy
17-05-2005, 18:02
I have decided after much ponderation (Is that even a word?) that i should vote for heavy, being a fan of SOAD, korn, static X, metallicca.

Minister
17-05-2005, 18:03
Primarily Power, with a secondary mode of Heavy. Thrash is a far distant third.

Tenoch
17-05-2005, 18:08
Industrial metal, but there's not that much that's any good.Have you heard any Deadstar Assembly? In places its a bit soft but on their album there are some very good songs.

Kohhna
17-05-2005, 20:29
I honestly don't know where to put myself on that one. I like NIN, Anthrax, Tool, SOAD and the Dreden Dolls, and I was really into G'n'R when I was a nipper (and I thought the J-Z LP collision course album was good though DJ dangermouses grey album was a lot better).

So where does that put me?

Ass Goblin
17-05-2005, 23:35
Mostly Nu/Industrial. I'm not sure who Dreden Dolls are but Tool and NIN are Industrial. Antrax is thrash. But SOAD and LP are Nu.

Kohhna
18-05-2005, 00:42
I'm not sure who Dreden Dolls are.

They are a new group, wierd piano-thrash with shades of Kurt Weil's Threepenny Opera, Patti Smith and early Kate Bush. Very Good, check out Girl Anachronism and Coin operated Boy from their album.

If you define Nu as Metal with a Hip-Hop production sensibillity (and the odd bit of rapping) I suppose I'd better go for that though i don't like Papa Roach or a lot of Limp bizkits output, though Break Stuff is one of the Top 5 tracks of the 1990s imo.

Ass Goblin
18-05-2005, 01:09
If you define Nu as Metal with a Hip-Hop production sensibillity (and the odd bit of rapping)

While I wouldn't call it Hip-Hop production. I usually put bands into the Nu-Metal camp after using the following checklist.

Downtuned Riffs (Usually Drop D Tuning)
Distinct Lack of Long Hair. And an abundance of Beanies :)
Singing style usally about teen angst
Little or No Solo's (Note not all 'true' Metal bands have solo's also)
Simplistic song structure
Songs geared towards commercial sucess
Generally containing a 'mixer' or 'DJ'

Bear in mind. That quite alot of regular Metal bands come under some of these points. Don't take it as gospal. It's just some things I look at.

Dirty Fingers
18-05-2005, 02:41
There's no melodic death metal category :(

well, of all the categories listed, i'm pretty much cool with it all, except nu-metal...which has always been difficult to define. the bands you listed under the option suck hobo *******, and korn has really gone to hell these days (althoug guitarist Head found God, but yeah). Word Up is just a horrible song, and now i here they're collaborating with the Game. Just great. The only decent nu-metal act i can think of out there right now is Static-X (or are they industrial metal?), maybe Disturbed....MAYBE...if i'm in a merciful mood.

I was gonna say Fear Factory, because they kickass, but they probably are closer to industrial metal, and Slipknot is closer to metalcore.

Thrash is great by me, and so is death metal, but i ended up voting black metal for lack of melodic death metal option, though NWoAHM came very close. Lamb of God, Shadow's Fall (both of which i'll be seeing this summer, yay) are good stuff.

edit: and to me, there are really two types of nu metal, in response to the previous poster. there's "alternative metal" and "rap metal (or rapcore, depending on the band)." using those elements listed in their names....of nu-metal could be a combo of both. for instance, Disturbed and Godsmack are in the alternative side of nu-metal, Limp Bizket and *shudders* Crazy Town would be on the other, and Linkin Park and possibly Korn would be a combo of the two.

Yorkiebar
19-05-2005, 12:59
I like Iron Maiden, but personally I'd group them with Megadeth and Metallica rather than 'Priest.

Brother Smith
19-05-2005, 18:11
It is actually a common opinion that Maiden are in fact, speed metal.