PDA

View Full Version : Veil Eldar

MarikLaw
21-01-2006, 13:48
+++Im just gonna post the fluff for now to get peoples reactions, suggestions, and input on the race, as Im still ironing out the details.+++

Long ago, the Eldar reigned over the galaxy with a mighty empire and they ruled it with a proud, iron fist, but temptation gave way to the masses and created the Chaos God known as Slaanesh, whose birth killed many of the Eldar and tore their mighty empire asunder. The survivors were originally thought to be few, the Craftworld Eldar, whom wished to preserve their race through self-control and discipline, the Dark Eldar, whom believed that giving the Chaos Gods what they wanted would spare them, the nomadic Harlequins, and the lost and scattered Exodites. There was, however, another group, whose existence became lost to the rest of their kin. These Eldar separated from the Eldar Empire long ago, fearing their kin’s reckless ways would go ill for them in the end. It wasn’t long before these separatists fears came to fruitation and the chaos god Slaanesh was born. Although most of the separatist Eldar survived, their homeworld of Tanassar was soon assaulted by a massive Slaaneshi daemon world army. Their homeworld was left ravaged and all whom survived were forced to leave, scattered to the far reaches of the galaxy, for there would be no help from their former kin. It was out of this fear that the first of the Blood Fangs came to be, the Eldar known as Xerakal.

Xerakal at first was looked at as an extremist and was almost banished from the group of now homeless Eldar, for out of fear she turned to the one place she knew she could gain power, another chaos god, one that hated Slaanesh as equally as she did, Khorne, the Blood God. Even though she accepted Khorne’s gifts she did not worship him fully and constantly refused any offers of daemonhood or the presence of daemons. It became a mutual bond between the young Eldar warrior and the Blood God, Khorne gaining an ally against Slaanesh and Xerakal gaining the power to defend herself and help her kin prosper once more. She became a martyr, disgracing her race by giving in to a dark god’s offerings of power. However, this made her ever the more lethal in combat. She was not afraid to die but would not die without attempting to repent for her ties to the dark god, for through death, sacrifice, and combat would she regain her honor. Her kin, after years of hardship, turned from looking to her with caution to looking at her with hope and it was through her sacrifices and efforts that others started following in her footsteps and so the Blood Fangs, a survival aspect (or Dark Aspect as the Craftworld Eldar have dubbed them) of this separatist faction of Eldar. It also inspired the separatists, giving them the goal to rebuild the Eldar Empire anew in their own view of it, at whatever cost.

The rest of the kin of these lost Eldar sought out other means to empower themselves, however such means were hard to come by. It was through their searching for more power that they found a rather strange anomaly in the northern fringes of a galaxy. They became stranded in a section of space that allowed no warp travel, the warp was non-existent there, it was a blind spot in the galaxy, inaccessible to the dark entities of the immaterium and to the new races that used it to travel. At first they feared that their enemies, the Necrontyr, had finally discovered a way to eradicate the immaterium so they could dominate the galaxy, but upon closer inspection of the system they found the true cause. On most of the planets in the system were massive deposits of crystals, crystals that were black yet still seemed to glow with a purple hew. Since they had dubbed this area the Veil it was suiting to name the glowing stones Veil Crystals. The name of the area also gave way to the separatists’ new name, the Veil Eldar.

However they were not alone in the Veil, another race had already populated the planets, a race of creatures made up of both energy and crystal matter whom the Veil Eldar would come to call the Korrath (much later, when the Imperium eventually encounter the Veil Eldar, they dub the entities Elementals). Conflict was avoided when the Korrath were told of the existence of the immaterium and the dark gods of Chaos. Fearing that they too could be affected by these dark entities, the Korrath allied with the Veil Eldar and allowed them to make their new home within the Veil. The Veil seemed to have strange effects on the Veil Eldars appearance. Since their was no sun (the planets within the Veil are called Twilight Planets, giving off their own natural light from the crystals and luminescent landscape) and due to a rather mild radiation emitted from the Veil Crystals, the Veil Eldars skin turned colors, from the pale white of their former kin to dark purples and blues, their hair becoming shades of black, grey, white, purple, green, or blue, and their eyes glowing eerie shades of blue or green like the luminescence the indigenous creatures seemed to have adorning their bodies. It was here, within the Veil, that the Veil Eldar started to experiment with the ways of the universe to make themselves more powerful in order to not only defend themselves, but also in the hopes of building a new empire.

+++Their basically like the Blood Elves of WarCraft in a sense, that their starting to become thirsty for powers to help them in their goals (where as the Blood Elves are addicted to magical powers, the Veil Eldar crave it out of fear and out of the want to dominate). Their appearance would be very similar to that of the Night Elves (mwahaha, steal ideas from GW will you Blizzard? Time to return the favor *rubs hands together*) of WarCraft, as for their armor its still streamlined, but with more edges (imagine kind of anime-styled sleek robots) with littles bits and pieces of the dark gothic atmosphere of 40k thrown in their (like the very detailed skull-like masks/helmets of the Blood Fangs). The Korrath wear alot of mummy-like bandaging and pieces of armor that look to be made of some raw, barely worked mineral deposit (and they dont wear much, but enough to provide protection). Underneath the bandaging and armor is either pure energy or crystal formations, giving them a very etheric and mysterious look.+++

IncubiLord
21-01-2006, 20:46
Nice idea.

Are you basing their rules off the DE then?
They're more of a pre-fall set-up, and from lack of interaction with the other craftworlds they shouldn't have the standard Aspects.

I'd be interested in seeing how you plan to implement them.

Sybaronde
21-01-2006, 21:02
I came up with a similar idea, actually. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22744

I was thinking of making a list for them, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

MarikLaw
22-01-2006, 11:49
Nice idea.

Are you basing their rules off the DE then?
They're more of a pre-fall set-up, and from lack of interaction with the other craftworlds they shouldn't have the standard Aspects.

I'd be interested in seeing how you plan to implement them.

+++No, considering their not Dark Eldar. I do believe both DE and Craftworld Eldar were shaped from the destruction of their races, the Craftworld Eldar fighting the dark gods and corruption through discipline and training, where as the Dark Eldar thought that just giving the dark gods what they wanted would appease them to leave them alone. The Veil Eldar, which split off from the Eldar Empire before the fall (like O'Shovah has from the Tau Empire), are addicted to the powers of the galaxy, the addiction coming from a intense sense of fear of the dark god Slaanesh, however they learned through accumulating different sources of power they realised they were strong, so their goals switched from survival and defense to expansion and conquer, to reshape the Eldar Empire the way they wanted it in the first place.+++

I came up with a similar idea, actually. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22744

I was thinking of making a list for them, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

+++Cool.+++

+++But yeah, imagine the Veil Eldar as being somewhat like a mix of the Blood Elves and Night Elves from WarCraft. So far the Veil Eldar only have one allied race, but they may potentially have more in the future (the races within the Tau Empire band together due to the ideals of a brighter future the Tau portray, where as the races under the banner of the Veil Eldar are an alliance of conveniance, races on the verge of being wiped out uniting under the cause to just survive and potentially prosper again as a race. So far this Alliance only consists of the Veil Eldar and the Korrath, but Im sure other ideas will pop up.+++

+++Im still thinking of what their command unit/squad will look like. Craftworld Eldar have Farseers, Warlocks, and Pheonix Lords, where as Dark Eldar have Archons and Haemonculi, so I need to think up something unique that leads the Veil Eldar.+++

Sybaronde
22-01-2006, 13:20
+++Im still thinking of what their command unit/squad will look like. Craftworld Eldar have Farseers, Warlocks, and Pheonix Lords, where as Dark Eldar have Archons and Haemonculi, so I need to think up something unique that leads the Veil Eldar.+++

Well, I was going for something along the lines of a Preyseer and Shadow Lord, psychic and melee oriented HQs respectively. Unfortunately, there's little room you leave yourself if you don't want them to be unique. But I'd suggest special wargear.

What I planned for my Preyseer (name is still under contemplation) was that it would be a character capable of funneling daemonic essence from either hostile daemons or 'brought along' daemonspheres (which would most likely count as some models on the battlefield) and use it to heal friendly models (think Necron style). I was also thinking about some anti-daemon specific powers, which aren't necessearily meant to destroy daemons, but to put of summoning rolls and weaken them within certain ranges.

The Shadow Lord would be more like a Archon character, with access to some arcane weapons that suits the experiments the Shadow Eldar conducted on daemons in the past. It may be that I make them into daemon weapons (or very similar to them). Naturally, the Shadow Lord would have high Initiative (7) and the capacity to deal a lot of damage. Possibly, I'll be so nasty that I'll put a 'Holofield' option in the wargear (3+ Invulnerable save or something).

IncubiLord
22-01-2006, 17:44
Alternatively, since the "Phoenix Lord" of your aspect accepted Khorne's gifts, you could make a character that gets up to 50/75 points of Daemonic Gifts.

It's similar to the Webwights in my DE update, but it looks like they might not make it there.

MarikLaw
23-01-2006, 12:00
+++Other Blizzard-based things I'll be "borrowing" (as Blizzard so politely puts it) ideas from...+++

- Protoss Archons/Dark Archons
- Protoss Dragoons (I want the army to be full of walkers, making them go in a rather different direction from the expected grav-vehicles, not to mention being rather unique army-wise.)
- Protoss Templars (the Veil Eldar versions I imagine would be like, psionic beacons or psyker addicts, was thinking of giving them some Chaos Spawn rules for if they overdo it.)
- Infernals (Veil Eldar's take on the Avatar of Khaine anyone? *evil grin*)