PDA

View Full Version : New to WoC - Need help building my army

Infurion
26-10-2009, 14:03
Hei guys!
I recently got hold of some WoC models after a trade, and I would like to build my army slowly from 500p up to 2250. The trade gave me the following new models, all built but not painted:

15 Marauder horsemen w/flails & 2x command
50 Warhounds (don't ask :D )
10 Chaos Knights
2 Spawns

In addition i have some vintage/older models:
Wizard on Disc
Archaon
Crom the conquerer
Daemon Prince
Galrauch
Some stuff enough to make a Warshrine

I also have some Ogres that can be made into Chaos Ogres

I guess i need to buy a box or two of Marauders & warriors. Bus since I am new to WoC, I am not sure how I should mark them, and then also paint my models. Should I go for undivided, or paint them in a specific god's colors?

How many doggies do i really need? And what would be a good start for a 500p / 1000p army?

Hope you can help me out here. :)

Avian
26-10-2009, 15:59
For a 500 pt list, I'd go for something like this:

Exalted Hero with minimal gear - about 150 pts
Infantry unit (either decent marauder unit or minimal warrior unit) - about 150 pts
2x Horsemen - about 100 pts each

When expanding to 1000 pts

Extra gear to buff your Exalted - about 50 pts
Reasonably nasty combat unit (Warriors, Knights, Ogres, Dragon Ogres, etc.) - about 250 pts
A couple of Warhound units - 60 pts
Some other unit (or cheap character) you fancy - about 150 pts

I did my army by first deciding on a (not very limiting theme) - Tzeentch & Slaanesh - and then a colour scheme for each god, which were more or less reverses of each other. Then I assembled and painted some units I liked, played some battles, noted which units worked well and which did not, made alterations accordingly, painted some more stuff, etc, etc.

I can highly recommend making a thread in the Fantasy Painting Logs section of this forum, to make a record of how you get along and be a more permanent place where people can give you feedback on the army (army list threads tend to drop off the first page somewhat quickly).

Infurion
26-10-2009, 16:56
Takk takk! :) I will try out some different color schemes and see. Slaanesh is abit too feminin for me, but maybe there is some colors that will fit well still. I guess I just have to experiment.

That being said, I reckon I don't need 50 dogs. :P How many should I keep?

Avian
26-10-2009, 17:13
If you're going to be playing tournaments in Norway, most of the time you will be limited to 3 units of them, so 15 should suffice. Even if not limited, 20 should be plenty.

Regarding colour scheme, that is entirely up to you. My slaaneshi units are blue.

Paraelix
26-10-2009, 23:54
Slaanesh is fine with any colour so long as it is bright. :) Usually bright against black or dark colours.