PDA

View Full Version : pinning

the_night_reaper
16-05-2005, 21:58
I found out over the weekend what it actually meant to be pinned because I went to paint ball with some friends and I don't like how the rule is setup at all.

The only real way to pin someone is to keep shooting at them while they are in cover. Pinning is really just scaring the opponent to not come out of cover. So the only real way pinning wound work in gameplay is if the unit is getting shot at in cover. If you're in the open you would run away(break test).

So here's how I think pinning should be setup:

If the unit is in cover(this excludes powers like conceal because they're not actually in cover) and they get shot at(even if no wounds are scored) they would have to take a pinning check to move out of cover. If the test is failed they cannot do anything that turn. In addition the unit has a ld modifier by -1 for each unsaved wound on the squad.

ex: a unit of gaurdians behind a small wall lose 3 models to bolter fire. If the squad wants to move out of cover next turn they will have to take a pinning test at ld5 (-3 because 3 models died). If they pass they may move and fire normally, if failed they can do nothing.

this makes the game a little more realistic.

what do you guys think?

Riddy
16-05-2005, 22:20
I think a 5 man bolter squad of mine will be shooting at any unit in cover from now on, meaning that a less than 100 point unit can stop another unit from moving pretty much permanantly, especially low Ld units like Tau, Guard and orks.

Your rule is broken as it means cover will no longer be used, the risks outweight the advantages.

the_night_reaper
17-05-2005, 00:49
that's true but it would also change the way players setup their armies to make better use of this meaning:

no more uber expensive firepower units hiding behind something unless they have real good leadership. Also their would probabl be upgrades to different army list giving them wargear to reduce the effect and also it puts a more realistic aspect to the game. Try paintball or something like that (not laser tag) then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Sgt.Epoch
17-05-2005, 13:44
Wait, so if my guardsmens are standing around in the open, their not going to dive to the ground when bolter rounds start exploding around them? But if they are safely behind a wall their going to cower behind it? Thats not right.

How about units in the open that are fired upon take a leadship test or fall back to the nearest cover or are pinned?
That shows them going to ground, when fired upon.

And paintballing owns. You gotta get a mate to put supressing fire down to pin you opponents, while you flank em and shoot em.

Antaeus
17-05-2005, 15:46
Personally, I'd have it that Pinned units add +1 to their Cover saves, getting a 6+ in open ground, since they, well, hit the deck, making them harder targets.

Sgt.Epoch
17-05-2005, 15:59
Personally, I'd have it that Pinned units add +1 to their Cover saves, getting a 6+ in open ground, since they, well, hit the deck, making them harder targets.

Good idea, but then Eldar Altioc Pathfinders get a 1+ invunrable save in cover. Just a tad over powered methinks.

the_night_reaper
17-05-2005, 20:37
Good idea, but then Eldar Altioc Pathfinders get a 1+ invunrable save in cover. Just a tad over powered methinks.

well something like that could happen(not a good example with the pathfinders cause they can't be pinned)

And you said something about supressing fire, that is what pinning is and I know that if I were on some kind of battle field and was gettin shot at I'd run rather than hit the ground because if the enemies is on a high point it makes you an easier target. the 1+ cover save for pinning is a really good idea.

some people say that you can hide behind something in the open because the terrain that is placed is only the "important" terrain. When I see a gaming board I see a scaled down battle field not the important terrain on a battle field because that's the whole point of terrain right?