PDA

View Full Version : Can Chariots move backwards?

dal9ll
27-10-2009, 22:38
Hey everyone!

My question is simple: Can chariots move backwards while remaining facing in the same direction? I had a game where after my opponent spent a few turns slowly moving forwards, he spent a turn inching his chariots backwards as to prevent me from being in charge range the next turn but keeping him in charge range. Is this legel? If so, whats the movement penalty?

Thanks!

PS: Can ranked units make this sort of movement (ie: moving backwards while facing the same direction) without having to “about-face, move a little, and about-face again”?

Guanyin
27-10-2009, 22:42
They cant move backwards, but they pivot for free, so it can turn 180, move a bit, and turn back, which would result in the same thing.

nosferatu1001
27-10-2009, 22:52
Ranked units have to turn for 1/4 movement, move in that direction for 1/2 movement, then turn back round again.

This means you cannot march, but at least can shuffle a bit...

DarkTerror
27-10-2009, 22:52
They cant move backwards, but they pivot for free, so it can turn 180, move a bit, and turn back, which would result in the same thing.

Unless of course that means pivoting into terrain which a chariot cannot move through. Then the chariot would be unable to perform this maneuver

nosferatu1001
27-10-2009, 22:55
a chariot can move through terrain i thought - but it takes impact hits.

outbreak
28-10-2009, 01:34
tomb kings chariots are fast cav so they can free reform move backwards then reform again?

theunwantedbeing
28-10-2009, 01:42
tomb kings chariots are fast cav so they can free reform move backwards then reform again?

Erm, I dont think you quite understand what a reform is.

Unless of course that means pivoting into terrain which a chariot cannot move through. Then the chariot would be unable to perform this maneuver

They are able, but they'll take damage as it'll count as moving through difficult terrain.

Condottiere
28-10-2009, 06:25
Pivoting is an advantage that Chariots do enjoy, since their main function is to charge the enemy. Too bad there's no rule to allow the charged troops to move out of the way.

T10
28-10-2009, 07:11
Take a look at the rules for movement. When it comes to actually moving a model from point A to point B the unit always moves straight forward. The units don't slide sideways nor do they back up and move in reverse. To properly maneuver you need to change your units facing using wheeling, turning and pivoting as appropriate.

-T10

Punjoke
28-10-2009, 08:12
Erm, I dont think you quite understand what a reform is.

No, I'm pretty sure he's right. A reform allows you to change your ranks and facing to whatever you like at the same time. Fast cavalry are allowed as many reforms as they like during their movement, as long as they aren't charging.

It's just a bit redundant to do so because all chariots, fast cavalry or not, can just pivot.

rtunian
28-10-2009, 14:08
if you have a unit of chariots, and you wish to turn any amount, if you were not able to reform freely you would have to do a wheel, because it is a UNIT, not an INDIVIDUAL. this is why tk chariots get free reform rule, because units cannot pivot. it is a way to give a unit of chariots the same maneuverability as a single chariot

Punjoke
29-10-2009, 01:24
if you have a unit of chariots, and you wish to turn any amount, if you were not able to reform freely you would have to do a wheel, because it is a UNIT, not an INDIVIDUAL. this is why tk chariots get free reform rule, because units cannot pivot. it is a way to give a unit of chariots the same maneuverability as a single chariot

Well it's semantics at best, but what rule prevents a unit of chariots from pivoting? Units can and do pivot; when a unit of troops flees, the rulebook says to pivot them so that they're facing the opposite direction and then move them.

The Fast Cavalry rule gives TK chariots further benefits than getting around having to pivot, as well. They have bows, and as fast cavalry they can fire them to the side or their rear if they want to.

stripsteak
29-10-2009, 02:03
units of chariots don't pivot, they move like cavalry pg 64.

nzdarkelf
29-10-2009, 02:33
BRB, p62, 2nd column states: "When moving a chariot, simply measure the distance and move it. There is no need to turn or wheel...chariots can turn to face any direction (pivoting...) at any point during their move and as mant times as they like..."

Shield of Freedom
29-10-2009, 04:59
BRB, p62, 2nd column states: "When moving a chariot, simply measure the distance and move it. There is no need to turn or wheel...chariots can turn to face any direction (pivoting...) at any point during their move and as mant times as they like..."

THANK YOU.

I get sick and tired of people arguing over a rule when there are hundreds of thousands of rulebooks in circulation.

Some one read the damn book please.....

When people don't quite understand the wording of a rule or feel that the interrpretation should be a certain way, then yes, that's a matter to discuss. When someone asks how an action in the game works, LOOK UP THE RULE IN THE RULE BOOK. Instead everyone just posts what they THINK the rule is off the top of their head. Annoys the HELL out of me.

Again, nzdarkelf, THANK YOU.

WLBjork
29-10-2009, 05:42
Hold on a minute.

Things are getting confusing here.

Units consisting of a single chariot move pretty freely, and use the movement rules detailed on page 62.

Units consisting of multiple chariots have their movement constricted, and move as cavalry instead as detailed on page 64.

nzdarkelf
29-10-2009, 11:41
THANK YOU.

I get sick and tired of people arguing over a rule when there are hundreds of thousands of rulebooks in circulation.

Some one read the damn book please.....

When people don't quite understand the wording of a rule or feel that the interrpretation should be a certain way, then yes, that's a matter to discuss. When someone asks how an action in the game works, LOOK UP THE RULE IN THE RULE BOOK. Instead everyone just posts what they THINK the rule is off the top of their head. Annoys the HELL out of me.

Again, nzdarkelf, THANK YOU.

No worries.

Shield of Freedom
30-10-2009, 09:22
Units consisting of multiple chariots have their movement constricted, and move as cavalry instead as detailed on page 64.

The only place in the game where a unit is comprised of chariots is in the Tomb Kings book. In that book, the unit is considered Fast Cavalry.

Read the section about how Fast Cavalry moves. Then just treat each chariot in the unit as a really big horse model and move the unit as stated in the rule book for the Fast Cavalry rule.

Hopefully, no more confusion.

pililuk
31-10-2009, 00:57
The only difference to that is with the chariot Magic item that makes the King/princes chariot heavy chariot, they lose the fast cav rule if he joins the unit.

tarrasque
31-10-2009, 01:17
what magic item does that?

theunwantedbeing
31-10-2009, 01:28
The only difference to that is with the chariot Magic item that makes the King/princes chariot heavy chariot, they lose the fast cav rule if he joins the unit.

Doesnt make the chariot stop being fast cav.
Chariot units joined by characater's dont lose fast cav.
TK character's on chariots are fast cav.

Settra's chariot is the only non-fast cav chariot in the TK army.