PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Shanaeyn Cavalry (WH40k)

Cadian 21st
22-01-2006, 09:27
Allright, here's an Army List a few of our group concoted up. I'll add the "fluff" we have for it all if people are interested in the least bit. It looks all crummy without the nice formating :cries: . Nevertheless, here goes:

(edit: here's the *new* approach...tell me if there's a better way to work it. To make it slightly more "user-friendly", I've seperated the .txt files by the units rather then the choices)

Cadian 21st
22-01-2006, 09:29
Elites Choices, Troops, and the Councilor's Bodyguard

Cadian 21st
22-01-2006, 09:31
Fast Attack and Heavy Support:

Cadian 21st
22-01-2006, 09:33
Heavy Support, Forge, Archives, Special Rules:

Cadian 21st
22-01-2006, 09:41
Developments:

- Cataphracts would skirmish with bows at a range (over a shield wall), then charge into assault. One way I've thought of making this allowable:

Half of the squad, rounding down, must replace their shields for Bolters at +2pts. Cavaliers may switch for a Storm Bolter and this does not count against the Wargear limit.

- Or even making a new weapon. I'm trying to allow them to shoot at the 24" range, so slightly outside their effective charge range, but not able to charge after shooting. The only problem with this is that 40k's setup would make it reduce thier relative effectiveness in close-combat by doing this...I'm not sure how to handle this situation very well, lol.

- Maybe I should convert to the Doctrinal/Traits system rather then Special Rules? It's advisable, and could work...what do you all think?

IncubiLord
22-01-2006, 19:15
From your first post, I'd say you know this doesn't look very reader-friendly. I suggest looking at some of the other army lists in rules dev for ways to clean it up.

The Xenarch list is just being e-mailed in .doc format, and some of the others are uploaded in .txt format.

While the .doc format is easier to read (and create), I prefer to use the .txt format so that there's not a constant e-mail thing going on. If that method interest you, take a glance at the third post in my DE thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18440)

Alternatively, I've suggested to others that they could set up a dummy e-mail account on yahoo and set it to always auto-reply with the latest .doc. Then you could just post an address and let people e-mail it.

Cadian 21st
22-01-2006, 19:27
Hmmm, I'll try that. Why save as a .txt though?

Cadian 21st
22-01-2006, 22:38
- Updated the Dragoons entry for Heavy Gear...forgot to add that, lol.

- Minor alteration to the "Masterly Command" special rule. I didn't post what "withdrawing" meant, and it now no longer affects Leadership tests.

Sybaronde
23-01-2006, 00:09
If you have troubles with formatting, you could head by www.openoffice.org and get free software for writing documents (which can convert documents to .pdf as well). It really makes things easy, in my humble oppinion.

Cadian 21st
23-01-2006, 06:34
Added the .pdf, yay! Thanks Sybaronde

Sybaronde
23-01-2006, 10:57
No problem! ;)

On a first note: "Stop the Infernals" is WAY too overpowered. You really should have a range on it. 12 Points for rendering any vehicle useless is just too much. Same goes for "They Shall be Blind to Their Cause". With Ld of 9 or 10, the caster would have a 30/36 chance of hitting and a bit higher chance for the latter, which would be basically always in a game.

Also, on the close ranked rules, I think there's no real reason for them to have reduced Toughness. Deploying models base-to-base make blast weapons incredibly powerful, which should be punishment enough.

-Syb

Cadian 21st
23-01-2006, 14:02
- I was thinking that too. I figure that dropping the "They Shall be Blind..." to only 1 target unit might work. On our scraps of paper it said 4, so....

- How 'bout a range cap of 12" for the "Stop the Infernals"?

Sybaronde
23-01-2006, 14:23
I'd say that "They Shall be Blind" causes the unit to fire as if it was in night fight, while "Stop the Infernals" has a range of 24" and causes a 'crew shaken' on a roll of 4 and 5, while it causes a 'crew stunned' on a 6.

-Syb

IncubiLord
23-01-2006, 19:12
Why save as a .txt though?
Because some people have problems getting the .docs off warseer. Not sure why that is, but I want to be as user-friendly as possible.

Ignore the .txt format. That pdf is nice. I need to go download the software...

Questions at a glance:

When you say "1 Senior, and 2 Lesser Followers" in the Orderly Council, does that mean 1 Officer and 2 meatshield - er, bodyguards?

Am I reading the Baffled Lance entry right?
On the charge (assuming you're smart enough to stay back 5" before the charge) the character is S8, armed with a power weapon, and always strikes first? All on a 8/15 point single-handed weapon that is available to every character in the army?

This is an all-mounted army, right? I assumed so, but it doesn't seem to say anywhere that they all are.

What does Lancer Armor do? It's listed in the armory, but has no description.

Along the same lines, could you explain Cataphract Armor? It says that any weapon that doesn't ignore it's save is ignored on a 4+, but it doesn't list an Armor Save value. Did you really intend to give these guys two saves against every basic weapons hit?

Cadian 21st
28-03-2007, 23:03
- I'm going to start this project up again! I hate that I left it so unfinished :(

On a first note: "Stop the Infernals" is WAY too overpowered. You really should have a range on it. 12 Points for rendering any vehicle useless is just too much. Same goes for "They Shall be Blind to Their Cause". With Ld of 9 or 10, the caster would have a 30/36 chance of hitting and a bit higher chance for the latter, which would be basically always in a game.

- Agreed. I'll be following your suggestions.

Also, on the close ranked rules, I think there's no real reason for them to have reduced Toughness. Deploying models base-to-base make blast weapons incredibly powerful, which should be punishment enough.

- The -1 T is only while they are charging, not when they are shot at. It's much easier to knock a cavalryman off his stead when you can get at his side.

Ignore the .txt format. That pdf is nice. I need to go download the software...

- Thanks! Just a quick bit of formatting.

When you say "1 Senior, and 2 Lesser Followers" in the Orderly Council, does that mean 1 Officer and 2 meatshield - er, bodyguards?

- No, I am referring to the other castes. In effect, you get three HQ characters with their respective. So in your Orderly Council you could have a Master as your Senior Follower, and a Mage and Pastor as your Lesser Followers. The Bodyguard “meatshields” are part of the retinue attached to each of the Followers (I didn't specify that at all in their entry, or how many of each boydguard...oops). The Follower is permanently attached to the retinue, so long as the bodyguards are alive (Relaying Orders rule applies to the Follower and attached retinue). Does that make sense?

Am I reading the Baffled Lance entry right?
On the charge (assuming you're smart enough to stay back 5" before the charge) the character is S8, armed with a power weapon, and always strikes first? All on a 8/15 point single-handed weapon that is available to every character in the army?

- Yah, that's too much. I think it should be changed to a one-use item that adds +2 I, and +1 Str for every 2” charged (so 10” for S8) that ignores Armour Saves. 8Pts for single wound characters, 15pts for multi-wound. How's that?

This is an all-mounted army, right? I assumed so, but it doesn't seem to say anywhere that they all are.

- Except for the Dragoons (The Howitzer doesn't even have stats...oops). It says, at the very beginning, that all "All units in the Shanaeyn Army (except Dragoons) are Cavalry," so whatever "Cavalry" means to you.

What does Lancer Armor do? It's listed in the armory, but has no description.

- 3+ Armour Save...better fix that.

Along the same lines, could you explain Cataphract Armor? It says that any weapon that doesn't ignore it's save is ignored on a 4+, but it doesn't list an Armor Save value. Did you really intend to give these guys two saves against every basic weapons hit?

- What I'm aiming for with that (requires some rewording...) is that wounds in CC can be ignored for combat resolution purposes, making the Cataphracts very difficult to break. These rolls would be taken on the Cataphracts that survived their initial Armour Save.

Cadian 21st
28-03-2007, 23:41
- I've also changed the 'Shield' to be a +6 Invuln in CC. The Baffled Lance only gains in Strength for every 1" after the first 5" (so charge of at least 10" to be effective). Hobilars get the third special weapon at 7 men, instead of 6. Some typos have been fixed. I'm still stuck on the Lancers - they don't appear to be too much better than the 11pt Knights (though the 3+ Sv and 6+ Invuln is nice in cc...).