PDA

View Full Version : 40K mispronounciations

Rabid Bunny 666
22-01-2006, 14:47
whats the funniest one you've heard whilst gaming?

before C'tan beats me to it, there was a 'nid player in GW slough which couldn't pronounce "fleshborer" so called them "fleshboners". he still hasn't lived it down, and he generaly had the S:eek::eek:t ripped out of him because of it

Norminator
22-01-2006, 14:53
Apparently I've also mispronounced Macragge. It's supposed to be 'Ma-crag' but I pronounced it 'Ma-crag-ee-'. For some reason everyone really teased me about that.

I heard someone call Tau Tayoo despite being told many times it was Tau.

Orbital
22-01-2006, 15:02
This one is easy. My favorite mispronunciation is "Eethral" instead of "Ethereal". I hear this one all the time.

Second runner up? "Sam Hain" instead of "Saim Hann". This one isn't just funny because it's a common screw-up, but also because "Saim Hann" in the original Gaelic is actually pronounced "SOW-inn" ...for some reason.

Silly druids.

Cheitan Shadowless
22-01-2006, 15:05
A few people in our group somehow can't let go of referring to Tzeentch as "Theenish". Then again, this group of ours spawned such delectable verbal gems as "mistfire", "messe lunker" (missile launcher) and "veshilises" (vehicles). :wtf:

"Sam Hain" instead of "Saim Hann".Ah, but the Eldar codex actually claims it to be pronounced that way - so as such, you could argue it really isn't wrong in the particular context.

Luke
22-01-2006, 15:11
Round my way.......

Kasrkin is very often pronounced as Kas-Krin

Chimera mostly always pronouced as Chim-ear-a

Tyranid. the vote is still out on this one, roughly 50/50. Tira-nid vs Tie-ran-id

Archaon. most call him arch-e-on

C'tan. One guy i know cals them the Ker-tan

Tzeentch. T-zentch - T-zeentch - Seentch (with a slight empahise on the "T" at the start)
and im sure there are more

blitz589
22-01-2006, 15:12
Tazenich, instead of Tzeentch

Tonberry
22-01-2006, 15:25
Some kid at my local store insits that he is firing his 'Lemon Russes', and that he is moving his 'Sentinoughts'

macbeth
22-01-2006, 15:31
In France, we've got lots of problems with "dreadnought." I think it is the most mispronounced word. Juggernaught comes second, BTW...

EVIL INC
22-01-2006, 15:32
Here are a few that I mispronounce (maybe) because my buddies and I were young when we started playing and we all just pronounced the words alike and just kept to it because the names were then ingrained. Not saying we nessessarily do, just that we have heard others pronounce them differently.
Macragge, Mac-rahge
Tau, Anyone who has ever read Lau Tzu knows it is prounced dau, but it seems everyone seems to want to pronounce the t as a t.
Saim Hann, This I know we mispronounce as sam hain
Tzeentch, we pronounce it Tzeen-tick. Might be wrong but as tzeentch likes change, he approves.

DraXaus
22-01-2006, 15:44
Tyranid is one I had trouble with in the begining, and called them "Terra-nid".

heretic
22-01-2006, 15:47
on the GW site, they want it pronounced "Sam Hane"

I've heard people call Termagaunts "terr-mag-ents"

lord_blackfang
22-01-2006, 15:54
What, noone's brought up Ork Noobs, Ork Groots, Army Roosters and the Chaos special character Fabulous Bill yet?

A neutral shade of black.
22-01-2006, 15:55
Chimera mostly always pronouced as Chim-ear-a

Most of the Western world pronounces it that way, to be honest. Only the Greeks (for obvious reasons) are capable of pronouncing it Kie-meh-rah, which is the way it's supposed to be said (last I heard).

Tyranid. the vote is still out on this one, roughly 50/50. Tira-nid vs Tie-ran-id

Tie-ruh-nid. Because they're named after the planet on which they were first discovered, Tyran.

Tzeentch. T-zentch - T-zeentch - Seentch (with a slight empahise on the "T" at the start)

Well, at least he isn't saying "stench." ;)

Macragge, Mac-rahge

I pronounce that Mac-rage. :P

Tau, Anyone who has ever read Lau Tzu knows it is prounced dau, but it seems everyone seems to want to pronounce the t as a t.

Maybe because it's actually the Greek letter tau, which is pronounced tao, not dao?

Saim Hann, This I know we mispronounce as sam hain

That's the actual way to pronounce it, according to fluff.

There's one that everyone forgets - how many of you say "lasgun" and "lascannon" instead of "lazegun" and "lazecannon," which is the way they're supposed to be pronounced, being based on "laser?" I know I do.

heretic
22-01-2006, 15:59
don't forget that there will always be accents. yes, it's irritating when most of us americans pronounce it "chy-mere-uh" instead of "ky-mere-uh" of Celeborn as "Seleborn" but it's just they way language works

Orbital
22-01-2006, 16:10
Ah, but the Eldar codex actually claims it to be pronounced that way - so as such, you could argue it really isn't wrong in the particular context.

It does? Well, I'll be darned! Which page # is that?

Orbital
22-01-2006, 16:11
In France, we've got lots of problems with "dreadnought." I think it is the most mispronounced word. Juggernaught comes second, BTW...

How do you pronounce it, then? I'm curious!

My good Quebecois friend used to have trouble with "Tau" and "Necrons", which he pronounced "Toe" and "Neecrons", respectively.

Orbital
22-01-2006, 16:13

You're thinking of a different word: "Tao", not "Tau".

nos4artu
22-01-2006, 16:18
Tyranid, which I pronounce the 'tyra' as in tyrant. If it were pronounced as "Ti-ra-nid" with the first sound like in tyranny then Tyranid would be spelt tyrannid.

Xander-K
22-01-2006, 16:19
Most of the Western world pronounces it that way, to be honest. Only the Greeks (for obvious reasons) are capable of pronouncing it Kie-meh-rah, which is the way it's supposed to be said (last I heard).

its kai-mira

Tie-ruh-nid. Because they're named after the planet on which they were first discovered, Tyran.

tira-nid ..... just look at the word Pyramid, and you have it sorted ;)

Maybe because it's actually the Greek letter tau, which is pronounced tao, not dao?

hm yes? its a greek letter, but also a race in 40k pronounced - tow (as in the first part of towel)

There's one that everyone forgets - how many of you say "lasgun" and "lascannon" instead of "lazegun" and "lazecannon," which is the way they're supposed to be pronounced, being based on "laser?" I know I do.
elephants never forget, this one is - laz-cannon or lazgun not laze as in laser.

chumchu
22-01-2006, 16:20
My friends used to pronounce tzeentch as tchent. Really annoying.

Orbital
22-01-2006, 16:23
How the heck does someone say "tchent"??

heretic
22-01-2006, 16:24
of course, pronouncing it isn't as bad as I've seen new players write:

elders, dark angles (I did this once on accident), space wolfs, neekrons, tyranoids, dark elder, which hunters, grey nights, thousands son, corn beserkers, etc...

Grimtuff
22-01-2006, 16:26
Round here: Shrieking (cannnons, catapults etc.) Ethrals, Tayoo (Tau) though my personal fave uttered by a beginner: "i'm using my Physic power now!"

Though the one that grind my gears on these and many other forums:

Loose=opposite of tight
Lose=opposite of win

:rolleyes:

Da Reddaneks
22-01-2006, 16:28
Most common i hear is "I'm shootin' out of tha winder." Instead of "I'm shooting out of the window." and the ever popular "Fer the imp-er-er!"

Crube
22-01-2006, 16:39
Back in the mists of time...

A 'friend' insisted that Tzeentch was pronounced Tek-ni-zek. and was adamant that Bryan Ansell told him when he last saw him... :rolleyes:

Trinnidads, Etheeruls, Chakakans, valhailians, Lemon Russ...

and over in WFB...Shaven...:eek:

Grimtuff
22-01-2006, 16:44
and over in WFB...Shaven...:eek:

Shaven Storm Virgins by any chance?

Crube
22-01-2006, 16:46
Shudders....

Rabid Bunny 666
22-01-2006, 16:49
sigged for grossness

Kahadras
22-01-2006, 16:56
Chitin and Chimera are the two words that really seem to confuse people were I game. I have tried to explain that the chi is actualy prounounced more like ki but no one pays much attention. :p

Kahadras

Grimtuff
22-01-2006, 16:56
w00t, sigged for the first time ever! BTW that has become such a classic round here that Stormvermin are known to all on Vets night like that.

surprised no-one has mentioned the ones that are done a lot on here: Slaneesh and Slaan

William_De_Rule
22-01-2006, 17:02
My first exposure to 40K was through the game Space Crusade. As I was only a kid at the time I pronounced the genestealers as 'jen-ee-stealers'. My brother pronounced chaos as 'chose' (with the 'o' sound rhyming with the 'o' in gross) and we both insisted on pronouncing slannesh as 'slaah-nesh' with the emphasis on the long 'a' sound! I've also heard C'tan pronounced 'see-tan'.

My take on the contentious pronunciations are:

'Chimera' is chim-er-ah with the emphasis on the first syllable.
'Tyranid' pronounced to rhyme with pyramid.
'Macragge' is Ma-Krag-eh.
'Gazghkull' (sp?) is gaz-uh-kull

Does anyone know if thee's any truth to the rumour that that aforementioned Ork's oddly spelt name is due to it being generated from a random name table in the rogue trader book?

Norminator
22-01-2006, 17:08
I always thought that Macragge was pronounced like you said, but it isn't. I also thought that Chimera was pronounced like you said... but it isn't :(

Sandlemad
22-01-2006, 17:11
I've always heard 'Macragge' as 'ma-crayge'. Sounds odd now that I think about it. Cool though.

As for 'Tzeentch', I'm in the 'Zeen-tick' camp myself, though 'Zeench' sounds disproportionatley good.
You could always use his other names. 'Shench' is nice and easy.
'Tchar'. Oooh, that'll be fun!:D

ConfessorTurpin
22-01-2006, 17:23
I've heard all kinds of mispro's:

Sly Marlboro (as in, the cigarettes)
Knee-crons (Necrons)
Lascannon/Lazecannon
Cata-chan/cata-can
Joost-i-car
Ah-grines (Ogryns)
Bask-i-lisk (Basilisk)
Leh-mon Roos (Leman Russ)
Cal-ai-dee-us (Calidus)
Vind-i-car (Vindicare)
Ar-tiss-i-fer (artificer)

Bear in mind that I live/play in California, so all these are product of our wonderful school system. :)

bl4ck0pz
22-01-2006, 17:23
Some guy couldn't pronounce anything eldar correctly. He called a shuriken catapult a shrieking catapult is the only that comes to mind at the moment though. He called Lemartres of the BA Lamenthist. His english is really crappy and he's american too so that's the sad part that he can't even speak his native tongue. I mock him behind his back about it ALL THE TIME.

Some random noobs at the gameshop always once called tyranids Tryranids. I still think that was the best one.

Grimtuff
22-01-2006, 17:25
Just remembered: The infamous Vindicator Assassin! :evilgrin:

EVIL INC
22-01-2006, 17:26
Dont forget Tsien-Tsin, Tzeentch's name in Cathy.

Grimtuff
22-01-2006, 17:31
Dont forget Tsien-Tsin, Tzeentch's name in Cathy.

I would swear that that's the name of a Dragonball Z character

my_name_is_tudor
22-01-2006, 17:35
Tau as 'taw'

Kasrkin as 'karskin'

NakedFisherman
22-01-2006, 17:42
My friend produced Runefang as "run-http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Xsampa-at.png-fang*".

*A schwa would help these threads out a lot. Someone should make a schwa with a transparent background we can link to in normal font.

EVIL INC
22-01-2006, 17:42
That is what Dien Ch'ing in Beasts In Velvet called him. Dont fool with the dragonballz stuff though so have no idea about that.

heretic
22-01-2006, 18:01
wait, how do you say ksarskin?

Xander-K
22-01-2006, 18:02
His english is really crappy and he's american too so that's the sad part that he can't even speak his native tongue.
pardon? you just contradicted yourself, you say English is his native tongue, yet he is American... since when do Americans speak English?

Luke
22-01-2006, 18:04
just so i can clear something up: Kasrkin is pronounced "Kas - Kin" correct?

and my brother just called Macragge "magrarh" lol :D

my_name_is_tudor
22-01-2006, 18:05
i thought it was KAS-ur-KIN

Frobo
22-01-2006, 18:06
The word tarot in "Emporers tarot" is often messed up around my parts!

Robot 2000
22-01-2006, 18:07
I always prounounce it Kaz -rr - kin.

As for prounouncing the first syllable of Chimera, ask people how they prounounce "chaos". Everyone says "kay-oss" right? Same thing. "Ki-meer-ah".

HiveFleetEzekial
22-01-2006, 18:09
Chitin and Chimera are the two words that really seem to confuse people were I game. I have tried to explain that the chi is actualy prounounced more like ki but no one pays much attention. :p

Kahadras

guess i'd always been the smart one of the bunch, since school, in most of the gaming areas i've been to. or at least the most affluent when it comes to learning how other languages work/sound. born american, but maybe it's the mix of other nationalities in my bloodline.. dunno. can't recall ever getting chimera mixed up, the "kai/kie" just seemed natural. though i must admit, i have the tendancey to pronounce chiton, just as it's spelled (using the ch- sound). heard it used lost of times in the past, by fairly good sources, and it's just stuck with me. kai/kie just sems too rough sounding for it, to me.

I would swear that that's the name of a Dragonball Z character

Tien Shen-han sounds more like he's got a name taken from eldar :)

can say i've never heard, till reading this thread, of lasgun/cannon/pistols being "laze". it may have been a while since i've actually been in an english class (since i finished school, some 6-7 years back), but i do remember words or parts of words don't always sound the same if mixed with others. the letters next to them can change how they sound quite a bit.

the S's in the aforementioned guns, should sound like a short z (not ze), or could be argued that the s just keeps it's natural sound. only the s has been kept from laser, the e got droped on the way, so it nolonger conributes its sound to it.

can't think of any otehrs, 'least ones that haven't already been mentioned, at the moment.

Norminator
22-01-2006, 18:26
The only thing with Chimeras is I'm sure they're pronounced CHimeras on DoW...

Kasrkin is pronounced Kas-ar-kin (but with not much emphasis on the 'ar').

Lastie
22-01-2006, 18:29
Kasrkin is pronounced Kas-ar-kin (but with not much emphasis on the 'ar').

Codex: Eye of Terror describes it as more 'Kas-er-kin', but then I suppose this is more of a to-may-to/to-mar-to issue.

Olith
22-01-2006, 18:33
My younger brother once pronouced the Horus Heresy as "horsey hersey". That one was remembered for a long time.

my_name_is_tudor
22-01-2006, 18:41
It's hard to pin down exactly what is a mispronunciation sometimes, as GW rarely explain the 'official' pronunciations.

Like, I think macragge is pronounces 'Muhkragg' or 'M'kragg', but I haven't heard it said by many other people. Tzeentch for me is T'zeentch/Tuzeentch, which makes sense to me as it's only pronouncing the 'T' at the begining and following it up exactly how it is spelt. Saim Hann is Sam Hane, as per the eldar dex, of course. Tau is after the greek letter, rhymes with Cow. Tyranids is Tyrant minus the 'T' and add 'ids', Chimera is of course Kai-meera.

But of course, there's no official word on most of these, so how can we know for sure. Except of course for things like tau and chimera.

Xander-K
22-01-2006, 18:56
Tyranids is Tyrant minus the 'T' and add 'ids'
fraid not dude, Tyranid rhymes with Pyramid and is pronounced similarly.

my_name_is_tudor
22-01-2006, 19:01
Why? It is spelt the same yes, but it has a totally different word root.

Cough, rough, though, ought, Slough.

ReDavide
22-01-2006, 19:13
Beware the Space Wolves Venereal Dreadnought!

And as for "Tzeentch", Tzeentch is a one-syllable word. The "Tz" is like the "zz" in "Pizza". It's not a sound we English speakers are used to having at the start of a word, but it's perfectly possible to say.

And I'm with Xander-k on Tyranid, on the basis that Tie-ranid just sound ridiculous.

Xander-K
22-01-2006, 19:18
Why? It is spelt the same yes, but it has a totally different word root.

Cough, rough, though, ought, Slough.
dude, look at how Tyrannical and Tyrannic is pronounced (Ti-ranickle not Tie-ranickle) it is from the word root Tyrant, just as Tyranids has this similar pronunciation and has the same word root.

TzarNikolai
22-01-2006, 19:40
Personally I say:
Kimeara
(t)zeentch
Mac-rag
Kaz-(er)-kin
Tyranid (pyramid) although I did go through a tie-ranid phase

i have heard:
Vindicar-ey assassin
Ex-arch (as in a piece of architecture)
Shimera (chimeara)
Why-ches (wyches)
Dray-con (dracon)

22-01-2006, 20:53
dude, look at how Tyrannical and Tyrannic is pronounced (Ti-ranickle not Tie-ranickle) it is from the word root Tyrant, just as Tyranids has this similar pronunciation and has the same word root.

Oh? And out of interest, how do you pronounce "tyrant?" :P

damz451
22-01-2006, 21:35
a kid about 10 years old called lascannons laslocannons :S

Ophidicus
22-01-2006, 22:07
Personally I'm far too pretentious to get into arguments about nigglesome pronunciation like tie/tea-ranid (I favour tie) or las/lase-gun. As long as the victim-er-listener understands what you're talking about, no silliness should exist. They're probably pronounced both ways on different imperial planets anyway.

I have heard some silly ones, classics like Elders Aviators, Dreadnoggets, Genitals (as in "I'm going to shoot your-!!"), that one was going for ages, Satans, loads.

mkerr
22-01-2006, 23:29
Personally I'm far too pretentious to get into arguments about nigglesome pronunciation like tie/tea-ranid (I favour tie) or las/lase-gun. As long as the victim-er-listener understands what you're talking about, no silliness should exist. They're probably pronounced both ways on different imperial planets anyway.

I've made it my personal crusade to convince local gamers to pronouce lascannon as is it was derived from laser. Lahzcannon really chaps my hide.

I'm also in the Tyranid/Pyramid camp (fyi, "tyrant" isn't the root word for Tyranid).

Brother Othorio
23-01-2006, 00:05
I've heard people call Termagaunts "terr-mag-ents"

wasnt that what they were originally called before Hormagaunts were made into a variant of them?

i dont have any current 40k mispronunciations, tho i used to call Tzeentch "tees-nesh", i do however refuse to call Skaven "skay-ven" on the grounds that rats dont "skay-venge" they "skah-venge" (i also have the same complaint about O/B/AD&D players who call pronounce To Hit Armour Class 0 as "Thay-ko" rather then "Thah-ko")

scwolf
23-01-2006, 00:17
You see, it's only spelled "Beneficent and Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind," but it's pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove."

MadHamster
23-01-2006, 01:32
Well people here in Czech rep. usualy spell roster as roaster, it got so much under our skin that we usualy even write roaster in forums :D

Ophidicus
23-01-2006, 01:35
I've made it my personal crusade to convince local gamers to pronouce lascannon as is it was derived from laser. Lahzcannon really chaps my hide.
Then I shall make it my personal crusade to stick out my tongue at anyone trying their linguo-fascist dogma on me :p heheh, consider yourself told.

fyi, "tyrant" is the root word for Tyranid.
Oddly enough, I knew that. Knock the t off the end and you get Tyran, the explorator base on the furthest reaches of the eastern fringe wot got et. Have more tongue :p .

Black DH templ.
23-01-2006, 01:48
wasnt that what they were originally called before Hormagaunts were made into a variant of them?

i dont have any current 40k mispronunciations, tho i used to call Tzeentch "tees-nesh", i do however refuse to call Skaven "skay-ven" on the grounds that rats dont "skay-venge" they "skah-venge" (i also have the same complaint about O/B/AD&D players who call pronounce To Hit Armour Class 0 as "Thay-ko" rather then "Thah-ko")

As far as I'm concerned they're still called "Termagants", and not "termagaunts". I might be wrong though.

Yodhrin
23-01-2006, 02:24

I'm also in the Tyranid/Pyramid camp (fyi, "tyrant" is the root word for Tyranid).

It's pronounced Lahz because, IIRC, "Las" is a slang word for Laser. "Pump him full of Las, boys!" sort of thing.

Oddly enough, Ive always known the "Ch" in Chimera was a hard K sound, yet I thought Chitin was pronounced as it was spelt :confused:

As far as Macragge goes, I go with Mah-kradge(the A sort of blurs into an I, probably just my scottish accent that does that though), and I agree with the Tyranid-Pyramid line of thought.

Orbital
23-01-2006, 03:26
When I first started this game I was also irritated by "LAHZcannon" instead of "LAYZcannon", but I've gotten so used to it that when I hear "LAYZcannon" now, I picture Doctor Evil making quotation marks in the air and saying "It's called a LAYzer..."

I didn't want to give in to "LAYZcannon", but sometimes you just have to pick your battles... know what I mean?

Orbital
23-01-2006, 03:27
This isn't a mispronunciation, but one thing that makes me shake my head in disbelief is when people type "Dark Angles" instead of "Dark Angels" (obviously this applies to the "Blood" variety as well). It makes me want to say something sarcastic like "OMG! IT'S THE DARK ISOCELES OF THE EMPEROR!"

Orbital
23-01-2006, 03:36

*sNoRt*

Haha

And I'm with Xander-k on Tyranid, on the basis that Tie-ranid just sound ridiculous.

I dunno. I got used to "LAHZcannon", after all... :)

Sir_Lunchalot
23-01-2006, 03:47
Here's a few gems.

from my brother
chaos [chy-yoss]
khorne [crone]

from oh, all my friends
arbites [uh-bright-ees]

other things can be argued, depending on accent and vowel stresse, but there's simply no excuse for switching the order of letters.:chrome:

NakedFisherman
23-01-2006, 03:54
Oh course it would be lhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/abreve.gifz you're looking for, however.

Antyrael
23-01-2006, 03:54
There's a guy around here who calls a Leman Russ a "Leman ROOS" (as in rooster)

He also pronounces daemon with the same a sound as in age, kinda like deimon. (as in no silent a like it should be)

And overall, the majority of people around here pronounce tyranids wrong:p

They seem to think it's tear-anids, instead of tie-ranids. The notes on the tyranids clearly states that they want their race to bring up images of dinosaurs (they specifically say "tyrannosaurus rex, anyone?")

Now, if we look under the dictionary pronunciation of tyrannosaurus, it's Tie-rannosaurus. Therefore, in a round about way it's proven to be pronounces tie-ranids, same as typhoon, tycho, tiny, tichonderoga, time etc:D

Antyrael

Screamin Daemon
23-01-2006, 04:06
There's a guy in the store who prides himself on a linguistic degree...then goes around describing his research and applies it to all the made up names of GW....

Tuhzentch.......and insists he's right....I just want to smack him.....

langolas
23-01-2006, 04:19
Had a friend who pronounced chimera shim-er-ah.

Exarch
23-01-2006, 04:45

I'm also in the Tyranid/Pyramid camp (fyi, "tyrant" isn't the root word for Tyranid).

I've been on this crusade for a long time, man. Be strong and remember that you're not alone.
A guy I play with says ork "nobes" instead of "nobs". I tell him to remember that
orks are as dumb as door KNOBS, not door KNOBES.

Sir_Lunchalot
23-01-2006, 05:32
but of course Nob is derived from Noble, but then again, depending on what kind of an orky accent you htink of, it could go either way. although personally I think knob sounds less silly.

MIGHTYPanhead
23-01-2006, 05:50
one word: Oblibbertator

Arryn
23-01-2006, 07:12
Trynads here...

Orbital
23-01-2006, 07:14
Trynads here...

"Trynads?"

"No, thanks. I'll stick with the roast beef."

DantesInferno
23-01-2006, 07:39

Does anyone know if thee's any truth to the rumour that that aforementioned Ork's oddly spelt name is due to it being generated from a random name table in the rogue trader book?

Doubt it somehow, considering the resemblance Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka's name has to that of a certain British female Prime Minister. Well, the last bits anyway. The Ghazghkull part might have been derived that way.

Bookwrak
23-01-2006, 07:46

Kahadras
Wait, so what I've actually been giving my Tyranids is a protective coating of kittens?

Trynads here...
Tried 'em, hated 'em.

grizzly ruin
23-01-2006, 07:49
Kasrkin as 'karskin'

I know it's Kasrkin.

I know it's not "kar-skin".

Regardless, when I read the word "kar-skin" is exactly what pops out. Drives me batty.

Captain Ardias
23-01-2006, 07:55
Once I actually managed to say vulnerable dreadnought ( ashamed:cries: )

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 08:08
I said it as karskin for months, before I actually noticed there was an S in there, lol.

The thing with arguing that Tyranid stems from Tyrannosaurus, is that some people pronounce it Tai-rannosaurus, and others Ti-rannosaurus.. personally I pronounce all Tyran-- words Tai-ran-- so why would Tyran--id be any different for me. Tyrant Tyran Tyranid.

The Lobotomist
23-01-2006, 09:40
Instinctively I pronounce it Tee-ran-ids (without much emphasis on the first syllable.

Also Chitin is pronounce kie-tin, not kih-tin, which would indeed be a protective coating of young cats... and would work poorly.

how do pronounce Magragge- I allways want to say Mah-craig-ee or mah-cradge (think badge but slightly more of an i sound) what a wierd word. why not the battle of... Ultraville, or Ultra city, or Ultravillington. Yeah, that one sounds good...

Cheatah
23-01-2006, 09:49
Once I actually managed to say vulnerable dreadnought ( ashamed:cries: )

I had that once as well... though, in my defence, it was 4 AM and I was pretty drunk.

Things like these are definitely wrong, but IMHO, you can't argue about the pronunciation of "made-up" words like Tyranids (I usually call them "'nids") or Tzeentch or Necron. There are usually different pronunciations even within the English language (British, American, Australian, South African, ... ) and you have to remember that the GW-hobby is international, so people whose native language is not English WILL pronounce some words differently.

When I compare Flemish (from Belgium) to Dutch (from the Netherlands), they are supposed to be the same language, but the pronunciation for some words is extremely different. Our countries are next to one another, what do you think happens when 2 countries with the same native language are far apart?

Leeman Russ
23-01-2006, 10:05
...how do pronounce Magragge- I allways want to say Mah-craig-ee or mah-cradge (think badge but slightly more of an i sound) what a wierd word. why not the battle of... Ultraville, or Ultra city, or Ultravillington. Yeah, that one sounds good...

I always thought Macragge was pronounced "Muh-Krag"... Could be wrong though, but I always figurred a double g was a sound like the first letter of "gum" ('guh' rahter than 'juh').

Yodhrin
23-01-2006, 10:12
but of course Nob is derived from Noble, but then again, depending on what kind of an orky accent you htink of, it could go either way. although personally I think knob sounds less silly.

I think it may be derived from something a little more offensive, considering the cockney slant Orks have :p

Also, just how is Arbites pronounced, is it Ar-bit-tes or Ar-bytes?

bonjordo
23-01-2006, 10:24
Tzeentch as "Zenaztzantech"
Nurgle as "Nurgal"
Khorne as "K-Horn" (much emphasis on the k)
Slannesh as "Slaannesh" (ie warhammer fantasy slaan :|)

the tzeentch one cracks me up to this day, Zenaztzantech... classic.

Crube
23-01-2006, 10:41
Tzeentch as "Zenaztzantech"

having trouble pronouncing that one...

William_De_Rule
23-01-2006, 11:47
Also, just how is Arbites pronounced, is it Ar-bit-tes or Ar-bytes?

Well the Vigiles (the 'fire brigade' of ancient Rome) were pronounced Viji-lays by my classics teacher, so arbites could be pronounced arbit-ays, but then I never was that good at Latin. I pronounce it phonetically, so 'ar-bites'.

The thing with made-up words is that only the person who created them knows how to pronounce them 'properly', and it's made even worse by the general lack of logical pronunciation rules in English.

23-01-2006, 13:01
It's ar-bit-ess, actually. Jus like Adeptus Astartes and every other pig's latin word GW ripped off.

Sir_Lunchalot
23-01-2006, 16:35
Personally I say Ar-bites, but that's just me. another one, from my little brother:

Expiring champion.:chrome:

Bloodthirster90
23-01-2006, 16:47
Me-
Tyranids (pyramids)
Tzeench(zeench)
Kasrkin(kasr-kin)
arbites(ar-bit-ez)

Jorgandr
23-01-2006, 17:10
Should you say Skaven as it is written or as "skavven", (because the name comes from the word "scavenger")?

And yes, I do know that this is a 40k thread, but I have always wondered.

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 17:35
Didn't the romans pronouce 'es' endings as 'eez'? So ass-tar-teez, arr-bi-teez?

khyron
23-01-2006, 17:48
Shaven Storm Virgins by any chance?
I LoL'd at that one.

Inquisitor Samos
23-01-2006, 18:06
In classical Latin, it would most likely be: ar BEE tayss, with a soft "s" as in "sit," since classical Latin didn't have a "z" sound for "s" such as we have in "rose."

ar BIH ("i" as in "Pit") tayss is possible, I suppose, as is ar BIH tess ("e" as in "pet", soft "s") or ar BEE tess, but somehow these just don't sound as "correct" to me.

(I spent an unfortunate amount of time in school having "proper" ancient Latin pronunciation drummed into me by an instructor of said language! ;) )

Ki-Adi-Monkey
23-01-2006, 18:09
The funniest one I have heard is how some people say Abaddon. They say it as abba-don, when it should sound more like abad-on.

Rob

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 18:10
it'd be amusing if they said it like "A baddun'"

i.e. he's a baddun' that one.

The Judge
23-01-2006, 18:12
My mate could not pronounce Basilisk - said it Bass Ill Isk.
He still hasn't sorted out how to pronounce Amazon - Am Azz ON

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 18:14
How do you pronounce niccassar, or however it's spelt? Nik-ass-arr, Nik-ass-er? Ni-ka-sa? Ni-sass-ar?

Ophidicus
23-01-2006, 18:19
Games Workshop seems a little confused about a particular name I noticed just now: Slaanesh. As far as I am aware, Horus Hersy III is the only publication to consistantly use the Slannesh spelling, ever. I reckon it got spell-checked as wrong as some unknowing fool clicked 'ignore'. Slaanesh has a long 'a' sound, same way vowel sounds were constructed in middle english. And preferably in a voice impersonating Vincent Price or John Malkovich.

Gonka Koff
23-01-2006, 19:06
Maybe it's because I'm swedish, but these two words does not fit in my mouth:
Ecclesiarchy -ecklessiarky?
Eviscerator - evisseraitor?
(I had to check the spelling several times before posting this :p )

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 19:11
if it's anything like ecclesiastical, then it's eck-lee-zee-arky.

eviscerator is eh-viss-uh-ray-tur

Tom - Heretic
23-01-2006, 19:24
I'd say, just so we can end arguments, the classical latin pronounciations for many 40K words/names shouldbe considered canon. No arguments that way, and it's accurate (for a given definition of accurate).

Therefore, "Ad-ept-uz As-tar-tays" - "Soh-roh-rih-taz" "ar-bee-tays".

Of course, there will still be other interpretations but fewer than the present situation.

Oh, and it's "kay-zur-kin" and "tih-ra-nids". The word Tyran is the root for tyranids, as this is the first moon they ate, or somesuch. It isn't Tyrant.

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 19:26
And you think Tyran is pronounced Tiran?

Tom - Heretic
23-01-2006, 19:31
::EDIT:: apologies, misunderstood you for second ther *slaps own wrist*.

Assuming that the root word will proivde the pronunciation, regardless of spelling, to any word derived from it isn't correct.

Yes, the world is pronounced "tie-ran", but no, the race is not pronounced "tie-ran-ids" - although in this case it isn't 100% black and white. Tie-rah-nids would be acceptable, I would say, but doesn't sound correct to my ears.

::EDIT2:: For spelling, ironically enough :p

NakedFisherman
23-01-2006, 19:45
Apparently need a grey background...

NakedFisherman
23-01-2006, 19:47
Games Workshop seems a little confused about a particular name I noticed just now: Slaanesh. As far as I am aware, Horus Hersy III is the only publication to consistantly use the Slannesh spelling, ever. I reckon it got spell-checked as wrong as some unknowing fool clicked 'ignore'. Slaanesh has a long 'a' sound, same way vowel sounds were constructed in middle english. And preferably in a voice impersonating Vincent Price or John Malkovich.

It most certainly does not have a long 'a' sound.

Long a (lay): http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/amacr.gif

Sound of a you're talking about (baron): http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/abreve.gif

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 19:52
i hate english pronunciation and stuff like that. the sound ay, as in 'pay' should be spelt 'ei' as in eh-ee. it would make stuff so much easier if we had the japanese pronunciation system.

I.E:

a (from bat)
i (from pin)
u (rhymes with zoo)
e (as in meh)
o (as in oh (or pot depending on where in japan you are from)

then other vowels can be made from those, such as:

oi (oy!!)
ei (as in pay)
ai (as in sky)
ou (as in though)

'long' sounds are then ones where you essentially just hold on the vowel sound for longer

aa (aaargh!!)
oo (core)
ee (fair)
ii (speed)
uu (wooooo!)

Ophidicus
23-01-2006, 19:52
It most certainly does not have a long 'a' sound.

Long a (lay):

Sound of a you're talking about (baron)
No, I didn't mean that sort of long a sound. AA as in aaaargh, probably pronounced slightly differently depending on exactly where you live, like bath. Like Slarnesh, not Slaynesh. but with a longer a, indeed as in baron. So yes, we agree, even though we might not think it.

Jonik
23-01-2006, 20:09
Slaanesh has always been Sl-ar -or (ah)-nesh for me...

Knightmare
23-01-2006, 20:30
Originally Posted by William_De_Rule

Doubt it somehow, considering the resemblance Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka's name has to that of a certain British female Prime Minister. Well, the last bits anyway. The Ghazghkull part might have been derived that way.

You're both off abit.

The name generator DID exist,but it was in the 2nd Ed Ork book,"'Ere we go".
The great Andy Chambers used it in the book to create a sample Goff Warboss' name,which was at the time Ghazghkull Tarknash.
That Warboss stuck,and his name was soon changed to Ghazghkull Thrakka.
His name changed again in 3rd Ed to what it is now.No idea why,so the above explanation may hold water.
Funny,a sample Warboss became a legendary Warlord.
On a sidenote,Chambers also created Mad Doc Grotsnik for the same sample list,using the same table.

Aquila
23-01-2006, 20:35
Let's not forget turreNts.

And if you ever played Starcraft, you might remember "Attack of the Tyrmanids" :D

magnificent*
23-01-2006, 20:39
I will always pronounce nob "nobe". I could not say my nob is ogre sized without
laughing.

As for chimera I accept any pronounication since the history of the word is that it was modified from greek to latin and then latin to english, Chimera is close to how greeks say it.

my_name_is_tudor
23-01-2006, 20:45
As far as I know, the word 'nob' has been around longer than GW has as a shortening of 'noble' and generally meaning 'boss', and it has always been pronounced nob rather than nobe.

William_De_Rule
23-01-2006, 20:48
In classical Latin, it would most likely be: ar BEE tayss, with a soft "s" as in "sit," since classical Latin didn't have a "z" sound for "s" such as we have in "rose."

ar BIH ("i" as in "Pit") tayss is possible, I suppose, as is ar BIH tess ("e" as in "pet", soft "s") or ar BEE tess, but somehow these just don't sound as "correct" to me.

So I did learn something in Latin class. :D

l33t_m0nk3y
23-01-2006, 20:54
I always thought the 'T' was silent in Tzeentch.

I pronounce it 'zeench'.

Festus
23-01-2006, 21:09
AFAIK, this is correct, there was an article in WD detailing the force and the first show of Big G, Mad Doc, and various others.

I think it wasn't RT though, but rather taken from a part of either *Waaagh! The Orks* or *'Ere we go!* originally.

Greetings
Festus

Gwedd
23-01-2006, 21:32
Comrades,

Sooooo..... lots of folks with so little to do in their lives that they have to sit around and make fun of some people's verbal abilities? Reminds me of the cyber-gamers who are quick to fault every paint job posted online, who always know what's 'kewl' this week and what everyone's army list should include, but never manage to show up anywhere and game. Or paint anything themselves. Ah well.....

Me? I pronounce it like I see it, and how I think it ought to sound. After all, it's MY army, and MY money that bought and paid for it. If I choose to say 'chimera' instead of 'kymeera', or whatever, then who are you to fault me? Like I said, once I buy the stuff and build and paint it, then it's gaming in MY WH40K world, and who's to say just HOW it should be referred to?

Reminds me a lot of the little gits in latin class all coming to heated spit-slewing verbal barrages with each other about whether the "V" should be pronounced as "vee" or as a "W", or whether Caesar lisped:rolleyes: Who cares?

Look at the word and decide how YOU think it ought to be pronounced. It's always more interesting that way, because, if nothing else, you'll be quick to uncover who the local GW fanboy and fluff-nazi is at the local store:) Then the fun can REALLY begin:evilgrin:

Respects to all,

Gwedd

Burnthem
23-01-2006, 21:34
for me-

Tzeentch - Zeentch (silent 't')
Arbites - Are-bee-teez
Tyranids - Tie-ran-ids
Las - Laz

well thats my opinion anyway

gitrdone
23-01-2006, 21:34
and im sure there are more

One Chaos player that I knew back in the mid-90's pronounced Tzeentch as...

"tens each"

Acolyte
23-01-2006, 21:38
A guy around here always pronounces it 'Tah-oo' (Tau), although, since I'm pretty SURE everybody has tried to correct it, I think he just does it to bug me now...

Edited. Curse you, NF!

NakedFisherman
23-01-2006, 22:12
A guy around here always pronounces it 'Tah-oo' (Tau), although, since I'm pretty everybody has tried to correct it, I think he just does it to bug me now...

They're doing it to impress you, then?

No, I didn't mean that sort of long a sound. AA as in aaaargh, probably pronounced slightly differently depending on exactly where you live, like bath. Like Slarnesh, not Slaynesh. but with a longer a, indeed as in baron. So yes, we agree, even though we might not think it.

And that's a testament to why pronunciation keys are required for these threads instead of trying to mimic sounds using syllables and other words.

Antyrael
23-01-2006, 23:22
Hmmm, maybe it's just the lazy part of me, but I've NEVER heard anybody pronounce the n in Tzeentch. I say simply "zeech" as in leech. No stress on the tounge and overall a smooth, easy word:p .

Tyrannosaurus is "Tie-rannosaurus". The dictionary says so. Since the developers have said they want the tie-ranids to remind people of the tie-rannosaurus, I have to assume they originally pronounced it tie-ranids. Both are fine, and I think I'm in the minority, but a correct minority:p

The origin of the word is from "turannos" "saurus", both Greek.

Antyrael

Exarch
24-01-2006, 00:36
What about "catch-a-tan" jungle fighters?

mkerr
24-01-2006, 02:31
Tyrannosaurus is "Tie-rannosaurus". The dictionary says so. Since the developers have said they want the tie-ranids to remind people of the tie-rannosaurus, I have to assume they originally pronounced it tie-ranids. Both are fine, and I think I'm in the minority, but a correct minority:p

The dictionary says that "Tie-rannosaurus" (or tie-ran-uh-sr-us) is okay, but not the preferred pronounciation. The preferred pronounciation is tih-ran-uh-sr-us (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=tyrannosaurus).

The "tih" has an "i" sound like "pit".

heretic
24-01-2006, 03:33
for me-

Tzeentch - Zeentch (silent 't')
Arbites - Are-bee-teez
Tyranids - Tie-ran-ids
Las - Laz

well thats my opinion anyway

heh, long ago did I find out that Arbites was "are-bite-ees" and I had been pronouncing it "ar-bites" for years before :o

I never say "Lays-cannon" I just say Lazz because it just sounds better

Comandos
24-01-2006, 04:17
I'm not sure if it's mispranchutation, but I recently found out Khorn is pronunced like corn.

I sometimes parpusly mispronunce words. Mostly becuse I like it better. For example, insted of saing lazgun or lazcanon, I prefer to take thr long way and say laser gun or laser canon. Why? I don't know. I also like to mispronunce the name of my army, Eldar, and insted I pronunce it "space elves". Yes, I make fun of my army and join other people who do. And i'll keep doing it till (1) the new codex comes (2) I beging to win games.

Azazel
24-01-2006, 14:09
Im still not sure if me and my group prenounce C'tan correctly.

If you ask me Ill say: See-Tan.

Cadian 21st
24-01-2006, 14:19
I pronounce it psy-TAN, but I doubt that's correct. mul-tee-la-ZER, LAAZ-gun, LAAZ-can-on, ki-ta-CHEN (I know that's incorrect for a fact, but it flows better IMO), KA-dien, oh, and last of all, KAA-za.

my_name_is_tudor
24-01-2006, 14:35
isn't C'tan just Kuhttann? with as little emphasis on the uh sound as possible.

gue'fio'la fio shas
24-01-2006, 21:21
C'tan is pronounced k'tann, with the 'k' as in Kick (best description, not to good with explaining it), thats how we pronounce it as a group anyway.

sulla
24-01-2006, 22:33
C'tan is pronounced k'tann, with the 'k' as in Kick (best description, not to good with explaining it), thats how we pronounce it as a group anyway.

Agreed... not that it really matters anyway. Language is just a tool to convey concepts. As long as the concept is clear, who cares if someone mispronounces something? After all, who really pronounces Julius Caesar or Genghis Khan how they were really pronounced? I know I don't...

Grimtuff
24-01-2006, 22:42
Comrades,

Sooooo..... lots of folks with so little to do in their lives that they have to sit around and make fun of some people's verbal abilities? Reminds me of the cyber-gamers who are quick to fault every paint job posted online, who always know what's 'kewl' this week and what everyone's army list should include, but never manage to show up anywhere and game. Or paint anything themselves. Ah well.....

Me? I pronounce it like I see it, and how I think it ought to sound. After all, it's MY army, and MY money that bought and paid for it. If I choose to say 'chimera' instead of 'kymeera', or whatever, then who are you to fault me? Like I said, once I buy the stuff and build and paint it, then it's gaming in MY WH40K world, and who's to say just HOW it should be referred to?

Unfortunatley for you, unlike the army painting that you compare it to; language is a pretty formalised concept, and you are going to look a bit of an idiot mispronouncing words.

Sure you can paint an army however you want, and unless you want to sound like a complete retard I suggest you go with what is deemed to be the "socially acceptable" way of saying these words.

Strictly Commercial
25-01-2006, 01:40
don't forget that there will always be accents. yes, it's irritating when most of us americans pronounce it "chy-mere-uh" instead of "ky-mere-uh"

We do? This is the first time I've ever heard of it being pronounced wrong (by adults I mean, to be sure). Of course I've heard "fah-kaid" for facade so I'm not saying we're infallible.

blahblahblah5038
25-01-2006, 03:05
I knew a guy who called tzeench, slaneetch

Tom
25-01-2006, 03:13
Chrome Bazaracks is my favourite. And painting stuff Komodo Coco.

I also purposely mispronounce:

Venables Dreadnought
Marneus Calgon
Perturabo (prefering Peh-TOO-raa-bo)
Fabulous Piles
Robot Glee Man

Gwedd
25-01-2006, 03:29
Unfortunatley for you, unlike the army painting that you compare it to; language is a pretty formalised concept, and you are going to look a bit of an idiot mispronouncing words.

Sure you can paint an army however you want, and unless you want to sound like a complete retard I suggest you go with what is deemed to be the "socially acceptable" way of saying these words.

Comrade,

Sooo... struck a nerve, perchance? Look, who is the great poobah with the power to create the "socially acceptable" pronounciations? Seems to me that English isn't quite the formalised lanquage some would claim it is. I mean, for example, there was this Shakespeare fellow who had no compunction with creating words and plays on words out of whole cloth when they suited his fancy. No one except the self-appointed gentry took any truck with him over it.

Of course, many refer to England and America as two nations seperated by a common lanquage:) Where else in the world could a cookie be a biscuit and a biscuit be a bap?

As to your comment about being a "complete retard". Are you implying that there are partial retards? Retards in development? Id there an actual progression for retarding? Is that physically possible?

Here now: You say Tomawto, I say tomayto. Why should any English speaker say "kymeeeeera", when the word starts with a CH? And it only has one "e", so by rights it ought to be "chimura"... like chim chim cheerie, Mary Poppins and all that rot, but I suspect that it's all Greek to some folks. Ah well.... BTW: ever watch the Boston Celtics play basketball? Boston seems to have no problem saying "seltik" rather than "keltik". That's Boston for you, though. Ask three Bostonians the same question and you'll get Five answers. All different.:D

Pronunciation guides, painting guides, army lists, ahh heck.. next folks'll be wanting dress codes and age linits to play:rolleyes:

Respects to all,

Gwedd

Exarch
25-01-2006, 03:34
The devolution of a lighthearted thread........

Gwedd
25-01-2006, 03:42
The devolution of a lighthearted thread........

Comrades,

yes, yes indeed, and it shall be sorely missed. :angel:

Respects,

Gwedd

(pronunciation instructions for said name freely given upon the asking)

He Who Laughs
25-01-2006, 04:08
Well done Gwedd! :D

Although not exactly a mis-pronounciation, I always get a kick outta:
"****-dribble Vect" the Dark Eldar Archon.

Another one, again not quite a mis-pronounciation:
Young kid in GW store looked at my Necron army, asking what they were.
I replied with "They're my Necrons"
"Cool" says the kid, and walks away.

Next weekend, the kid is back - with a friend - and promptly dashes over to the Necron shelves in the 40K section of the store.
He proudly announces: "Look Jim, Minecrons!"
With a confused look on my face, I look over at him - and slowly it dawns on me...

My Necrons... Mi-Necrons... Minecrons... :D

Kohhna
25-01-2006, 04:13
Seige of Rogan Josh
Remind me, was that before or after the battle of Onion Bhagee? I'm pretty sure it was before the great Chicken Vindaloo massacre.

Thats a classic, I'm going to have to start calling it that now.

Funny enough, back home we usually say Abbadon as A Bad'un, as in "Oh, he's a bad'un that one". Its an accent thing, most of us actually know that the name Abbadon pre-dates GW by a few millenia at least.

Gwedd
25-01-2006, 04:32
Regarding the "siege of Rogan Josh"

[QUOTE=Kohhna]Remind me, was that before or after the battle of Onion Bhagee? I'm pretty sure it was before the great Chicken Vindaloo massacre.

Comrade,

It was a sort of "Cowboys and Indians" game.... Rogan Josh didn't quite become as fiery as Vindaloo, but it WAS an attempt to curry favour with Inquisotor Lord Chutney and his sideman, Pilaf....

Nonetheless, it turned out better than the time they tried to take out General Pao's chicken. They were Thai-ed up for months after that:rolleyes:

Respects,

Gwedd

my_name_is_tudor
25-01-2006, 10:59
Surely the person how decides how a word is pronounced is the one who creates it?

If I say my name is Heppo the Arblaster, i want it pronounced heh-poh thee arr-blass-tur, not hair-POW! theh airblairstair..

Lightningclaws
25-01-2006, 11:04
I have a question, since Im not a native english speaker.

how do you pronounce NURGLE?

I used to say it so it rhymes with "Virgil"

but somebody said you say it so it rhymes with "Gurgle"

Which is it? or is it something even stranger? such as rhymes with "xylophone"?

my_name_is_tudor
25-01-2006, 11:07
wel, you'd think it would rhyme with burgle and gurgle, since it's spelt the same. so grr-gull.

Inquisitor Maul
25-01-2006, 13:05
The cow ran into the Tau who said oww

Hideous Loon
25-01-2006, 13:07
Although having Nurgle rhyme with "xylophone" is much funnier. Harder, though. Hmm. It sounds a bit like Nyarlathotep in my mind.

Inquisitor Samos
25-01-2006, 13:43
This is a good discussion thread!

It ought to be copied into The Chaos Wastes, because it'd teach some of the "not-quite-there-yet" Wastoids what good quality spam ought to look like. Several of the side comments here have been priceless! :cool:

Grimtuff
25-01-2006, 18:09
Comrade,

Sooo... struck a nerve, perchance? Look, who is the great poobah with the power to create the "socially acceptable" pronounciations?

Not really, hence why I put the term in speech marks, as although there is no real way of knowing how Chimera is pronounced for example there are ways of saying it that are seen as "better" than others (much like accents) this is of course, as you say, completley false.

Its all down to Hegemony (ironic, now there's a word no-one can agree on how to pronounce :p ) and what is deemed to be the "correct" pronunciation/interpretation/way of speaking etc. by whomever is in "power".

Just a little food for thought

heretic
25-01-2006, 19:53
ha-gem-o-nee :p

Gaius Marius
25-01-2006, 19:57
I understand pronouncing Chimera as Kie meh ra because it is Greek or whatever... but to pronounce Chitin as Kie Tin is a problem, because I hear "Kitten", and Kitten armour on the 'Nids is just scary... all fuzzy and cute.

Ch as in Choo Choo Train... Chitin, cuz a soft sh sound would result in sh-itten armour for the 'Nids and that may be scarier still.

Cheers

Burnthem
25-01-2006, 20:40
i have always thought as chitin pronounced as in Choo Choo as well, it does have a nice 'gribbly' quality when said like this......

NakedFisherman
25-01-2006, 22:03
Only one way to say it: correctly.

chitin Pronunciation Key (ktn)
n.

A tough, protective, semitransparent substance, primarily a nitrogen-containing polysaccharide, forming the principal component of arthropod exoskeletons and the cell walls of certain fungi.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=chitin

Eldartank
26-01-2006, 02:47
I've heard Tzeentch mis-pronounced as "tiz-neech." ......:eyebrows:

chumchu
26-01-2006, 14:13
You see, it's only spelled "Beneficent and Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind," but it's pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove."

Actually its pronounced Throat-wobbler- mangrove. Mr luxury yacht told me that in person.

Lastie
26-01-2006, 14:30
I understand pronouncing Chimera as Kie meh ra because it is Greek or whatever... but to pronounce Chitin as Kie Tin is a problem, because I hear "Kitten", and Kitten armour on the 'Nids is just scary... all fuzzy and cute.

Fear the Tyranids and the impenetrable might of their Kitten Armour! How can you shoot those gribblies when they're covered with super-cute little furries?

Seriously though, I'd never have thought that (although it makes sense in a way).

Scanno
26-01-2006, 15:02
Second runner up? "Sam Hain" instead of "Saim Hann". This one isn't just funny because it's a common screw-up, but also because "Saim Hann" in the original Gaelic is actually pronounced "SOW-inn" ...for some reason.

Hey, nice one. Never noticed the link before. Samhain is the Irish for the end of summer (oiche shamhaine = night of the summers end = hallow'een). It's pronounced like that because an MH together make a noise that's hard to describe phonetically. Nearest I can get is Soh-w-whenn, but faster. Hs do odd things in Irish. For instance, my name is Cathal. Not Ka-thel, Kay-thal or CARL, as people called me in the states last summer, but Coh-hell.

Well spotted. The spelling Saim Hann is a complete bastardisation of it though, because
1) it's split into two words
2) they broke the basic concept of spelling in Irish:
if the last vowel before any consonants in the middle is i or e (the "narrow vowels"), so too must the first vowel after them be. If the last vowel was a o or u (the "broad vowels"), so too must the first after. Gives rise to the saying "leathan le leathan, coail le coail" [pronounced lahann leh lahann, quail leh quail] meaning slim with slim, wide with wide.

Yet again my culture/language has been butchered by GW.

Gwedd
26-01-2006, 16:58
Yet again my culture/language has been butchered by GW.

Comrade,

Butchered by GW, eh? I suspect that you've never witnessed the travesty of a St. Patrick's day celebration in Boston or New York... sigh ...:rolleyes:

Respects,

Gwedd

McNuggets
26-01-2006, 19:41
Some common mispronunciations iv'e heard are..

Artificial (artificer) armour
Umpire (empire)
Nackrons (necrons)
:wtf:

hiram
27-01-2006, 05:35
My favorate:
Canadian shock troopers, eh?

Ardathair
27-01-2006, 05:45
I've heard Tzeentch pronounced a dozen differant ways. And heard arguments lasting for almost an hour about how to pronounce it. I'm convinced that a daemon came up with that name just to cause strife and discord.:evilgrin:

plasticfrog
27-01-2006, 07:48
So how do you say 'Leman Russ"?

I have always called it the 'Lemon Roos' (Rooster roos).

Scanno
27-01-2006, 08:24
I'd pronounce it "Lay-man Russ".
What about "Rogal Dorn"?
Dorn is the Irish for fist , but pronounce "durn", not "door-n".

Ardathair
27-01-2006, 08:38
So when is the OED of GW going to be published?
Plenty of submisions.
I wish I would have read this thread a few years ago when I was a student, prob. would have tried writing one. Compared to the Klingon dictionary this wold be easy.

Hormagaunt
27-01-2006, 10:08

Indeed termagants are still termagants. Comes from a germanic barbarian deity.

Also, from dictionary.com :
termagant \TUR-muh-guhnt\, noun:
A scolding, nagging, bad-tempered woman; a shrew.

It's the whole 3rd ed Gaunt genus thing that added the u to their name.

References:
2nd ed. tyranid codex, p.23
3rd ed. tyranid codex p.13
4th ed. tyranid codex p.40

(The above being my pet peeve.)

Other things aside, I think this thread rocks. I've been laughing hard since page 1. Now I really want to start that Skaven BB team "The Shaven Storm Virgins".

Jedi152
27-01-2006, 10:12
So how do you say 'Leman Russ"?
I always say it just like it's spelt.

"lee-man russ"

Burnthem
27-01-2006, 10:46
Leman - ryhming with demon, and Russ rhyming with bus, thats how i aways say it anyway.

Ive also heard a few people prnounce Xenos as ex-enos, wheres i think its correctly pronounced as 'zenos', or 'zeenos' in line with 'xenomorph' from the Alien films....

Jedi152
27-01-2006, 11:52
Yep, Xenos is pronounced "zee-nos".

I always thought Justiciar was pronounced "hust-i-car" or "yust-i-car", but i might be wrong.

Azial
27-01-2006, 12:54
I think the funniest thing about this thread, is the pure show of nationality/local pride mixed with a common/uncommon language.

On one side of the pond, a given word would be pronounced one way, while on the other side, it's emphasized in a different way. Both tend to assume it's the "correct" way to speak. Funny stuff to watch people attempt to put language in neat lines like that, but I digress.

From the Western US, and having been accused of having a Montana drawl I was taught the words were:

Sam - Hane
Tiz - Neetch
LAZ-Cannin
Laz-gun
See - Tan
Nekron
Ark-on
Dray-kon
Tier-a-nid

Those are off the top of my head and all are typically used in the 4 states that I have lived in universally, mind you others may classify this as "wrong", but it's just regional dialects doing their work, and will continue to do so.

Also, those that attempt to correct me, and it's happened before, I usually look them straight in the eyes and say... "It's just a game A-*-*-H-*L-E". I find that kind of behavior only detracts from the hobby, just put your toy soldiers down and let's fight it out on the toy army battlefield

Sir_Lunchalot
27-01-2006, 16:39
Hmm, this isn't 40k, but I've been wondering if I've been pronouncing it wrong

Bretonnia, is it pronouncec Bre-ton-ya or bre-tone-ee-ya:chrome:

ghost hunter
27-01-2006, 18:53
I once new two twins around the age of 10 who prounounced aspiring champion, asprine champion (no pun intended)

scwolf
28-01-2006, 04:33
Actually its pronounced Throat-wobbler- mangrove. Mr luxury yacht told me that in person.

I stand corrected.

Tiberius Frost
28-01-2006, 06:20
When my friends and I started playing when we were about 13 we pronounced Tzeentch as 'Tizz-in-titch'
Still feel a bit dumb about that one.

Hideous Loon
28-01-2006, 18:51
Why not, for the sake of ease, just stop calling the Lord of Change "Tzeentch" and start calling him "Tchar"? Much easier, eh?

+++EDIT: Oh, and how do you actually pronounce "Daemon"? The Latin way, like "Daimon", or "Demon", where the E is pronounced like in "meh"? Could someone please straighten this for me?+++

Gorblitz
29-01-2006, 04:47
Laboring through this entire thread, I can't believe the greatest 40k-related mispelling hasn't been brought up! I speak, of course, of "Rouge Trader" (and yeah, I realize this thread's mostly about speechifying :p ).

I always pronounced "Tyranid" as "tie-RAN-id" (rhyming with sky-MAN-it) until one day hearing it in a store as "TEER-uh-nid" (SPEAR-uh-nid). I've always pronounced "Chimera" with the "ch" instead of a "k" - I know it isn't kosher greek, but for some reason to me it just seems the right way for referring to a GW vehicle.

Also, I tend to pluralize "Leman Russ" as "Lemans Russ" simply because it amuses me. :p

Hideous Loon
29-01-2006, 11:38
Actually, Chimera isn't Latin, it's Greek. Latin never, save for borrowed words, use the combination of C+H, while the ancient Greeks used tons of it.

Burnthem
29-01-2006, 12:16
I think daemon is supposed to be pronounced as demon, its just GW wanting to have thier own little version of it.

Cadian 21st
29-01-2006, 19:03
- Chimera's "Ch" is pronounced as Ki. Most dictionaries will tell you this, and then there's chimerical which can't possibly be used in speech if you're going around saying "cheemeerical". Then it just sounds wierd.

- I think Tzeentch is pronounced with the soft "t" and imposed "z" like Tzar. Personally I have no idea how people get Tiz-eentch.

- Saim-Hann is probably not pronounced like Saimhan and probably doesn't have the same meaning. Punting about Welsh, I cam up with something like "Restless Grease" which is more appropriate then the New Year.

- I pronounce Daemon like Day-mon (see Daemon in the dictonary, it is a real word), and Leman Russ like Lee-man Russ. Tyranids as "Tier-a-nids" just like the "Ty" in Tyrrany (probably the root word for that) - the problem with this idea is Tyrant which is with the Tie sound...

- Something nobody's brought up, but why do so many people pronounce Lascannon (Lazz-cannon) and Lasgun (Lazz-gun) with the "z" sound, but don't do the same with Multilaser (Mul-tee Lazz-er).

(Edit: response to Burnthem)

Burnthem
29-01-2006, 20:19
Las is slang for laser, therefore can be pronounced differently to its parent word, as in 'lasgun', however multilaser isnt slang, its the actual name for the weapon, if you see what i mean, and frankly, having it said as multilazzer would just sound daft!!

The Judge
29-01-2006, 20:50
Canadian shock troopers is a personal favourite - and I was once guilty of it myself.

Pertinax
29-01-2006, 22:04
Along with the Canadian Shock Troopers, we've had some grand old ones at my store.

Behold, my favourite list of pooly pronounced things!

1: Abadabadon the diplomat
2: Rapper swarms
3: Veneral dread
4: Eldar gardeners

HiveFleetEzekial
29-01-2006, 22:07
- Something nobody's brought up, but why do so many people pronounce Lascannon (Lazz-cannon) and Lasgun (Lazz-gun) with the "z" sound, but don't do the same with Multilaser (Mul-tee Lazz-er).

(Edit: response to Burnthem)

actually that one was brought up, a few times. dunno how it ends up in other languages, but in (american) english, it's the letters that come after it that affect how the s sounds. laser, has the E, making it a sharp/long a+z sound. las, doesn't have that e, so it ends up as a softer/short a "ah" +z sound.

Jabba_TheHunt
30-01-2006, 00:20
Theres a divide at my local on Abaddon or 'Abba - don'

Is he 'A bad 'un' or is he the manager of Abba?

zeekphreak
30-01-2006, 18:38
Lets see. There are soo many possibilities here.
I think the one that abused my ears the most was someone pronouncing it: "Jen-Stealers" I think we actually looked up mutiple uses of the word gene to put it to rest. He argued it was root from Genetics, and I argued it was root from Genome. One we got around other gamers and heard how they pronounced it, it pretty much died there.

I used to be guilty of "Ma-cragg-e"
Heard someone actually call the Deceiver the receiver and the Nightbringer, the Nightdinggler. Then again this kid was young that was playing, so its forgiven.

Man-dee blasters instead of mandiblasters

imrhati
31-01-2006, 01:31
One person i know insists that the ' in Tau names means a glottla stop so he pernounces his names like this : Aun..va
aun...shi
o...shavoh

and my all time favourite: Aun... o dal...yth m... yen mal...caor ukos men...lan

LOL!

USABOB
31-01-2006, 06:13
Canadian shock troopers is a personal favourite - and I was once guilty of it myself.
Though I've never called them Canadians myself, one person at my gaming club decided to paint his guard white and red and carry a Canadian flag around to make them true Canadians.

Not really 40k Specific but there was one person I know who was adamant that the colours Burnished Gold and Beastial Brown was in fact Burnshield Gold and Bristol Brown.

Another one not really mispronounced but more mislabled. One of my pet peeves is when people mix up the Imperial Navy and the Imperial guard, they are two different factions. This happens all too much as I play Imperial Navy in BFG.