PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about chariot charges

jaxom
29-10-2009, 17:04
In light of other topics, I have been thinking about impact hits and strange things about declaring charges and I came up with some things that I don't think are addressed anywhere. I'm looking for any rules. (Not opinions, please, as I have those. I'm looking for explicit rule or FAQ references.)

Question 1.
Imagine a unit with large models in it... I believe that it is possible to put two Plague Furnaces in a single unit, for example. The Skaven are 20mm models. The Furnace is 60mm across. This gives us a potential unit frontage of 160 mm that looks like

s111222s

Where s is a Skaven and 1 and 2 are the pair of Furnaces.

If you hit this unit (in the front) with a Chariot or Stegadon you would align to maximize models but in this particular case that means 2 models max. You could choose to hit nothing but Furnaces.

Where do the impact hits go? Skaven or Furnaces?

Question 2.
Because I am not into moving through rough terrain and taking wounds to my chariot, I don't like to move through forests. If my Elven opponent decides to take advantage of his ability to move through forests and leaves a portion of his unit sticking out (say one 20mm model), can I choose to charge it without hitting the woods even if that means not maximizing?

Corollary to Question 2.
If I declare a charge a unit sticking out of the woods I am allowed to choose when to wheel so that I can effectively avoid the woods on my charge. If the target unit flees a very short distance (gotta hate rolling a 3) can I still choose to "go around" the woods to avoid charging through them or do I now have to charge through the woods potentially failing the charge where I could have hit him were I allowed to avoid the woods?

cc
cc
cc

W
WW
Weeeee
Weeeee
Weeeee
WW
W

Here you could wheel a smidge early and hit the flank of the defender without touching the woods. If he flees a bit downward, you could still find such a line to make contact but not if you now have to run straight at the center of the unit....

Atrahasis
29-10-2009, 17:34
1. Impact hits are distributed as shooting - if a character is US5 or more, then the attacking player chooses whether to hit the character or the unit.

2. If moving through the woods means you would bring more models into combat, then you must do so.

2a. If the enemy flees, then your charge path is fixed as the centre-to-centre line.

Nurgling Chieftain
29-10-2009, 19:22
In rules terms, jaxom, it seems to me that what you're asking here is "Do these particular sets of circumstances change the normal rules?" and the answer, as far as I can tell, is "No" - there are no particular exceptions for any of those situations. They are resolved as normal.

jaxom
29-10-2009, 20:28
In rules terms, jaxom, it seems to me that what you're asking here is "Do these particular sets of circumstances change the normal rules?" and the answer, as far as I can tell, is "No" - there are no particular exceptions for any of those situations. They are resolved as normal.

Yeah, essentially. I'm checking to make sure that I have not missed some obscure rule in the "Big honking things in a unit" section of the BRB which overrides the shooting distribution, etc.

I know, for example, that a lot of people allow chargers to avoid woods in order to complete a charge which would be in violation of the "center-to-center" rule. That's certainly a gentlemanly thing to do but I wanted to make sure that there was no rule I was missing which made it required instead of just gentlemanly.

(Wanting to be prepared for 'ard Boyz and all that.)