PDA

View Full Version : Competance/compassion of health care?

Tenoch
16-05-2005, 22:48
Silent "Piano Man" poses beach riddle

LONDON (Reuters) - A smartly dressed man found wandering in a soaking wet suit near a Kent beach has baffled police and care workers after he refused to say a word -- and then gave a virtuoso piano performance.

The man, wearing a formal black suit and tie, was spotted by police in Kent last month and taken to a psychiatric unit where it proved impossible to identify him because he stayed silent.

It was only after he was given a pen and paper that carers were given an intriguing clue to his possible background when he drew an intricate picture of a grand piano.

He was taken to the hospital's chapel where he played classical music on the piano for hours.

There have been suggestions that the man might be a refugee or asylum seeker suffering shock and amnesia.

"We have had over 80 calls this morning," said a spokeswoman for the National Missing Persons Helpline. "A few names have been suggested and so far there is nothing to suggest he may be a refugee."

Newspapers said members of the public had contacted authorities to say they may have seen the man giving concert performances around Europe.

The man, whose picture has appeared in newspapers as part of the appeal to identify him, has now been moved to a secure psychiatric unit in a hospital east of London.

"He's not talking at all," a spokeswoman for West Kent National Health Service told a news conference. "He is very frightened. He is drawing, but not to communicate.

"He is a very vulnerable man and we would be putting him in a dangerous situation if we let him go," she added.

The Daily Telegraph said the man, in his 20s or 30s, is believed to be English and may have suffered a mental breakdown.

His story echoes the 1996 Oscar-winning film "Shine", in which actor Geoffrey Rush played Australian pianist David Helfgott, who overcame a nervous breakdown to return to performing.

Is it me or is the above article particuarly tragic/moving.

However iI detract from my point. he has now been moved, to a place without a piano.

I'm am not a psychologist bu t is it me or is that not only dumb as it seems to be comforting to him and thus might also help his recovery but also really harsh and inconsiderate?

Sojourner
16-05-2005, 23:08
Where does it say they've deprived him of a piano? There might well be one - even if moved there specially.

Tenoch
16-05-2005, 23:18
Sorry it says there wasn't on in the paper today, I got distracted but it was explicitly stated in The Mail (shh my mother buys it) which while not wholey reputable re: politics, they tend to cove this sort of thing well.

The above article is from Yahoo.

Verergoca
17-05-2005, 08:24
I just saw it on the dutch news....

Pretty weird.

Kittah
17-05-2005, 11:04
Maybe he was raised by wolves...

...who taught him to play the piano.

Delicious Soy
17-05-2005, 13:23
That happens all the time. If they taught him to play the viola, now that would be special :p

I'm not really seeing your point about the health system lacking compassion towards him. THere is only so much they can do without knowing his name, let alone his history.

99%BEEF
17-05-2005, 21:48
I reckon it's all a publicity stunt. Within a year he'll be appearing on celebrity big brother.