PDA

View Full Version : Empire: Wissenland

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dark Apostle
30-10-2009, 07:20
This will be my empire project log. Initially I'll use it to continously post all my contributions from the now on-going TOFP, but when (if...) I finsish the tale next summer or so, I'll keep adding any further empire units that I paint.

The army has a Wissenland theme, meaning a lot of gray. But I think I've found an interesting colour scheme to make the gray not seem dull.

Emphasis is on nice models, not game opting. Still, as I'm in the TOFP, I'm constantly struggling to actually lower my painting standards - or rather I'm trying to be content with not pushing my abilities and instead trying to meet the monthly requirements and produce a good looking tabletop-standard force.

There is a background story accompanying this army, if you want to read it, pleas check my posts in the TOFP - a new "chapter" each month.

Anyhow, pictures!

First out - my arch lector (no altar - I like the conversion, so he stays on foot):
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/ArchNY.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/ArchNY2.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/ArchNY3.jpg

Dark Apostle
30-10-2009, 07:20
My BSB - once again chosen because I think it makes a good conversion. Sure, on horse would have been better, but I like his looks. Carrying the Imperial banner of course!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/BSB.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/BSBback.jpg

And a tester for the lowly (lovely;))troops:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/testmod.jpg

Shortbus
30-10-2009, 08:56
Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing.

maze ironheart
30-10-2009, 09:06
Superb I myself use a wissenland colour scheme yours is just great.

Lord Azoth
30-10-2009, 09:20
AMAZING!!!! I´ll follow this plog...
beautiful colours and awesome technique...!!! looking forward more...

would you mind posting, if you have, some photos before the painting stage?, to see the conversion...
thanks

Dark Apostle
30-10-2009, 09:43
Thx guys!

would you mind posting, if you have, some photos before the painting stage?, to see the conversion...
thanks

Sure:

Warrior priest:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/WiP/archlectorfrontWIP.jpg

Banner bearer:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/BSBwip.jpg

Monsterzonk
30-10-2009, 09:43
Just perfect! I've seen the Handgunner over in the ToFP thread, and I really like him. Wissenland has always been amongst my favourite Empire Provinces. The Arch Lector is absolutely amazing. A great conversion, especially the hammer! And the BSB is just great. You really cannot see where the metal ends and the plastic begins. The lion cloak is a really cool touch aswell.
Consider me subscribed!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

anselminus
30-10-2009, 10:24
i love thaTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!^^

Seal Cub
30-10-2009, 10:25
Wow! Superb painting! Very nice!

Commodus Leitdorf
30-10-2009, 10:27
Holy cripes on toast! Those conversions are great! An the paint job on them is awesome as well!

Ghod
30-10-2009, 11:49
Wow...

Man that is some lovely stuff... Its things like this that make me want to do an empire army.

Congratulations and I'm waiting for more.

Lord Azoth
30-10-2009, 12:11
Thanks mate, the conversion is really nice..your GS skills are as good as ypur painting ones

Asp
30-10-2009, 13:49
soooooooooo niiiiiiiiiice

wissenland is my fav province, i even made mordheim rules for it once :D

check your pms :)

Gargobot
30-10-2009, 15:25
I've commented on the awesomeness of both the Lector and BSB before, and the handgunner is stunning as well. A whole army painted to that standard must look incredibly cool, but I guess we'll know that for sure in a few months.

Asp
30-10-2009, 21:29
what bits did you use for the priests comets and hammer?

unwanted
30-10-2009, 22:40

Uhuh, let me hazard a guess :D

I believe the comet is from the Flagellant scythes and the hammer at the belt is an acessory from the Flaggy sprue, if that's what you mean

Edit: The weapon hammer I have no idea of, though...

mbh1127
30-10-2009, 23:19
Awesome stuff. You have a great deal of talent

can I ask a ?

how did you paint your bases and what type of grass are you using?

Anardakil
31-10-2009, 00:49
Astonishing!

They're so clean and crisp!

Dark Apostle
31-10-2009, 08:34
Thanks for all positive feedback!

The lion cloak is a really cool touch aswell.
Consider me subscribed!

Glad you like it - pelts are featuring in a lot of the empire artwork, and I thought a white lion would be fitting as it is in the heraldry of Wissenland!

Congratulations and I'm waiting for more.

Thanks, the updates should be at least monthly, and probably with some WIPs in between!

Uhuh, let me hazard a guess :D

I believe the comet is from the Flagellant scythes and the hammer at the belt is an acessory from the Flaggy sprue, if that's what you mean

Edit: The weapon hammer I have no idea of, though...

The small comet on the shoulder is indeed from the flagellant schythe, as is the small hammer. The big hammer is combining parts from several kits - comet-thingy is from flagellant flail, hammer head is from a dwarven hammer, haft is from some weapon I don't remember where I got, and the small part between the hand and the hammer head is from some random weapon as well (skeleton or beastman?).

Awesome stuff. You have a great deal of talent

can I ask a ?

how did you paint your bases and what type of grass are you using?

Bases are painted schorched brown, drybrushed first with snakebite then bleached bone. Trims are Graveyard earth. The static grass is some non-GW brand I don't recall the name of, and I haven't kept the original container it came with. But it's a fairly light green mix with mor yellow than brown in it - possibly some spring - summer something?

Astonishing!

They're so clean and crisp!

Thanks Anardakil, I really try to paint with thin layers to achieve a clean result. But I have to admit that some of the crispiness comes from post-editing, adjusting the levels. I always seem to get to dark pictures no matter the light conditions, and when I brigthen the photos (using GIMP) the colours always seems to be somewhat smoothened out. So the minis actually look better in the photos than IRL - not that they look bad IRL, not just quite as smooth. I'll take a pic with flash sometime for comparison.

Monsterzonk
31-10-2009, 09:02
Glad you like it - pelts are featuring in a lot of the empire artwork, and I thought a white lion would be fitting as it is in the heraldry of Wissenland!

Great! That attention to detail is exactly what makes a really good mini perfect. Well done!

Cheers,

Asp
31-10-2009, 13:16
paint up the flagellants for this army! :D :)

Dark Apostle
31-10-2009, 13:23
@Monsterzonk: Thanks, I agree - the small details really makes the big differences.

@Asp: Flaggies are being assembled atm, but may take a while to get painted; a lot of other stuff to do first. But there will be lunatics, oh yes :)

Maybe my too-long-forgotten mordheim warband could make an appearance as a small free company detachment?

Asp
31-10-2009, 13:26
that's what im talking about - use the mordheim falggies for this army!

Dino
31-10-2009, 22:47
Very nice work. I really like the warrior priest conversion the most. I can't wait to see your whole army. Hope to see more soon.

richy376
01-11-2009, 22:53
What a beautiful start to an army. The battle standard bearer is the standout for me, fantastic stuff.

ftayl5
02-11-2009, 07:55
Great stuff man. That priest is aweosome and the fact that his hammer is made from three peices is amazing. Was the Grass pehaps Gale-force-nine summer grass? I've used it and it looks practically Identical to what's on your bases. I will definately follow this blog, cant wait to see more...

Suicide Messiah
02-11-2009, 11:26
As always, top work from you DA. I look foward to seeing this army expand.

Baggers
02-11-2009, 12:32
Good work, I quite like the simple but highly effective paint scheme on the state trooper. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the army.

grhino
02-11-2009, 17:05
Those are some of the best Empire models ever made and briliantly painted!

Izzy Logan
02-11-2009, 22:06
Those models are beautiful and characterful. I particulary like the warrior priest, because he looks exactly like that, a simple cleric gone to war. He doesn't have ostentatiousness, just a kind of plain majesty. really nice stuff mate.

Kaos
03-11-2009, 19:06
Snyggt jobbat, rent och cleant så det skiner om det. Kommer bli snyggt i slutändan!

Heja Sverige!

Cheers-Kaos

grimkeeper
03-11-2009, 22:07
looking really nice ,cant wait to see what else is in store.

Indreth
03-11-2009, 22:52
Great conversions and painting! Keep it up!
cheers

Gonfrask
03-11-2009, 23:01
As usual, you have done great conversions, I will watch this army very close

Ostling
04-11-2009, 14:10
Hi.
Looks very cool, I really like the Sigmar priest.
Besides, where have you got the hammer from? Or is it a conversion?

Greetings,
Ostling

martijn
04-11-2009, 15:20
omg, you are awesome!!
haha, i'm planning on doing a knighly order army and i was thinking of taking 2 warrior priests on barded warhorses, anyone got an idea for me?
(i've seen the huge conversions in wich they made the model out of archoan but that would just dwarf my kurt hellbourgh and ludwig soo.....)

also, keep it up man!!

Magos Explorator
04-11-2009, 16:42
That painting and conversion work is great; well done! You are very talented.

Jormi_Boced
04-11-2009, 17:32
I can't wait to see more in thie Plog. I just recently got some empire units and am looking forward to starting my own army. I hope to draw some inspiration from yours.

Dark Apostle
04-11-2009, 19:11
Very nice work. I really like the warrior priest conversion the most. I can't wait to see your whole army. Hope to see more soon.

WIPs and PIPs will appear in a not too distant future - the whole army will hopefully be finished at the end of the ongoning TOFP.

What a beautiful start to an army. The battle standard bearer is the standout for me, fantastic stuff.

Glad you like it, I'm very fond of it myself. I think I've managed to really capture the feel of the empire as pictured in artwork and background.

Great stuff man. That priest is aweosome and the fact that his hammer is made from three peices is amazing. Was the Grass pehaps Gale-force-nine summer grass? I've used it and it looks practically Identical to what's on your bases. I will definately follow this blog, cant wait to see more...

Well, the hammer is actually four parts if you count the shaft too :)

As always, top work from you DA. I look foward to seeing this army expand.

And expanded it will be! Lots of straight-out-of-the box, but further conversions aswell!

Good work, I quite like the simple but highly effective paint scheme on the state trooper. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the army.

Yeah, I like to keep it simple- it really is the classic three steps - base coat, shading, highlighting. It pays off to fiddle around with the colours to find a scheme that's easy to reproduce and which requires very little effort to get decent looking. Especially if you want to doo a whole army.

Those are some of the best Empire models ever made and briliantly painted!

Thanks alot, I appreciate it!

Those models are beautiful and characterful. I particulary like the warrior priest, because he looks exactly like that, a simple cleric gone to war. He doesn't have ostentatiousness, just a kind of plain majesty. really nice stuff mate.

Glad you like it!

Snyggt jobbat, rent och cleant så det skiner om det. Kommer bli snyggt i slutändan!

Heja Sverige!

Cheers-Kaos

Du är inte halvdålig heller när det gäller att måla! Jag ska titta igenom dina trådar ordentligt när jag får tid - ser ut att vara väldigt inspirerande!

looking really nice ,cant wait to see what else is in store.

Great conversions and painting! Keep it up!
cheers

As usual, you have done great conversions, I will watch this army very close

Thanks guys! More things will appear shortly.

Hi.
Looks very cool, I really like the Sigmar priest.
Besides, where have you got the hammer from? Or is it a conversion?

Greetings,
Ostling

Hammer is a conversion, see post #19 for further details.

omg, you are awesome!!
haha, i'm planning on doing a knighly order army and i was thinking of taking 2 warrior priests on barded warhorses, anyone got an idea for me?
(i've seen the huge conversions in wich they made the model out of archoan but that would just dwarf my kurt hellbourgh and ludwig soo.....)

also, keep it up man!!

There's a couple of nice horses in the empire range, so if you feel confident with working with metal it's just to pick any of them. Or take the plastic generals horse. If you can manage to greenstuff robes over the legs of the riding priest, well, the rest is just a matter of kit-bashing. Alternativerly you could use Luthor Huss (maybe replace torso/head/arms).

That painting and conversion work is great; well done! You are very talented.

I can't wait to see more in thie Plog. I just recently got some empire units and am looking forward to starting my own army. I hope to draw some inspiration from yours.

Thanks a lot! Now, I have some greenstuff wanting attention.

ftayl5
05-11-2009, 05:06
Well, the hammer is actually four parts if you count the shaft too

I see, thats even better, great work on everything so far.

MF3000
05-11-2009, 06:48
Hoho ho... hoo... omg... this is absolutely brilliant.

lol I demand moaaarrrrrrr

sj

Dark Apostle
05-11-2009, 17:10
Previously shown in the "Empire Support Group"-thread, but it has since been painted (but pics of that will have to wait). I like the big wheels from the plastic stank - the ones from the cannon kit are ridculously small. Original idea from one of the staff at GW store Göteborg - he's a dedicated hobbyist, and I shamelessly coppied his idea. Of course, he has a huge discount on GW products, making this convesion hurt his wallet a lot less than it does mine :cries: Thank god for bits-auctions on ebay! :)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/cannonwip.jpg

Shortbus
05-11-2009, 19:23
Now that is a proper looking cannon.

Nicely done.

hedstrom
05-11-2009, 20:15
Wow, really great job! Especially the BSB... love it.. i'm definately going to follow your log:) looking forward to more!

Dark Apostle
07-11-2009, 11:25
Some WIPs I'm working on right now. Minor conversions and bit swapping.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/knightbanner.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/knightbanner2.jpg

The greenstuff onthe banner looks a bit odd in the pictures, like the lines weren't stright. Well, they could have been even better, but it mainly looks this way due to how the banner flows and the angle of the photo.

Monsterzonk
07-11-2009, 17:23
Again, great conversions! The bigger wheels work perfectly on the cannon. The GS work on both the Knight and the Wizard is great as usual. I really like the standard bearer's pose, very good bitz swapping! I really can't wait to see him painted!

Cheers,

Sparda
07-11-2009, 20:35
Some great stuff in this log, will be watching it.

ftayl5
08-11-2009, 01:31
Lovely Mounted BSB conversion, mind if I 'borrow' the idea, I've been trying to think of an alternative for that dumb skeleton thing for ages. And the guy on the horse would have to pretty talented to shoot someone while blindfolded! :)

Dark Apostle
08-11-2009, 07:54
Again, great conversions! The bigger wheels work perfectly on the cannon. The GS work on both the Knight and the Wizard is great as usual. I really like the standard bearer's pose, very good bitz swapping! I really can't wait to see him painted!

Thank you, I think the wheels actually make the cannon go from "meh - old model bla bla bla" to "wow - shiny!". I like the pose of the standard bearer too! Only problem will be ranking him up with the rest of the knights without giving the impression that he's trying to shoot the horse next to him in the head :):) I'll think of something...

Lovely Mounted BSB conversion, mind if I 'borrow' the idea, I've been trying to think of an alternative for that dumb skeleton thing for ages. And the guy on the horse would have to pretty talented to shoot someone while blindfolded! :)

lol, there actually is a small slit in his helmet - also see my reply to Monsterzonk :p And you may of course borrow anything or everythin if you want to - it's not that unique anyway.

ftayl5
09-11-2009, 05:08
lol, there actually is a small slit in his helmet

oh cool, i though it was like a bandage or something and that 'slit' was just a little but of texture or something on it.

Dark Apostle
09-11-2009, 07:22
oh cool, i though it was like a bandage or something and that 'slit' was just a little but of texture or something on it.

Well, sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, the imperials sure like their ribbons and tassels :) But maybe wrapping yourself in suficient length of cloth makes for good protection, eh? Silk is the new full plate!

static grass
09-11-2009, 09:25
This looks like it is going to be a fantastic empire army. I love conversions and the well executed paint scheme.

On question though; how did you paint the skin tones? It doesn't look like the normal dwarf to elf flesh combo.

Dark Apostle
09-11-2009, 11:12
On question though; how did you paint the skin tones? It doesn't look like the normal dwarf to elf flesh combo.

Hi there, Static Grass. Glad you like the conversions! Skin is fairly simple (though it comes out a bit more yellow in the pics than IRL):
basecoat with Tallarn Flesh, shade with Devlan Mud, re-touch withTallarn Flesh, highlight with Elf Flesh.

Gonfrask
09-11-2009, 21:32
One Question: Any project about making the Elector of Wisseland??

static grass
09-11-2009, 22:06
That's excellent. I am big fan of people who min/max their effort/result paint schemes.

Empire is my next project, expect to see that recipe in Ostermark colours soon.

Dark Apostle
10-11-2009, 06:25
One Question: Any project about making the Elector of Wisseland??

Nah, the important lady is too busy partaking in the decadent nightlife of Nuln atm :p On a more serious note, I don't think I'll include an elector count for this army, not at this time anyway. But there may well be one in the future, and if so, Emmanuelle von Liebwitz will for sure make an appearance!

Empire is my next project, expect to see that recipe in Ostermark colours soon.

Great, looking forward too it - don't forget to show the rest of us your results!

Nightmare Mazer
10-11-2009, 14:15
Awesome plog!! Great stuff and really interesting conversions!! /Subscribed :D

I only got one question about my favourite model so far (your arch lector) in this plog. Where is his head from?

Thanks in advance!

Asp
10-11-2009, 14:40
with all these words, how will DA ever have time to paint?

Dark Apostle
11-11-2009, 17:55
I only got one question about my favourite model so far (your arch lector) in this plog. Where is his head from?

Hi there, the head is from the plastic GS kit, with a sculpted circlet (greenstuff)

with all these words, how will DA ever have time to paint?

LOL, and somehow he manages to get a few things done, despite all these words (not to mention the three hours/day I spend on commuting :()

Horse, yay!
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/horse001.jpg

And the rider you ask? Alas, he managed to impale himself en route to the painting table, impaling himself in ways too gruesome to describe with words:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/impale.jpg

Monsterzonk
11-11-2009, 18:02
Looking great so far! Very clean... :)

Since everybody else is bombarding you with questions, I thought I'd add one myself: what white primer do you use? I've seen a can of GW Skull White in the back of one of your pics, but I've also heard people say that it wasn't too good for priming. So what's it like in your opinion? Or do you have a can of Vallejo primer hidden somewhere? Cause I want to basecoat my AoW Dark Elf Queen white... Thanks!

Cheers,

Pariah-Miniatures
11-11-2009, 18:11
Ive been following your blog and it is very inspirational! Your conversion work is seamless and duo's your painting style. keep up the impressive work! Cant wait to see more of that wizard! I hope he too has a glorious beard.

Dark Apostle
11-11-2009, 19:45
Looking great so far! Very clean...

Since everybody else is bombarding you with questions, I thought I'd add one myself: what white primer do you use? I've seen a can of GW Skull White in the back of one of your pics, but I've also heard people say that it wasn't too good for priming. So what's it like in your opinion? Or do you have a can of Vallejo primer hidden somewhere? Cause I want to basecoat my AoW Dark Elf Queen white... Thanks!

Cheers,

Questions are always welcome! I do use GW Skull White for primer. I always shake the can for at least two minutes before spraying, and always make sure to clean the noozle (spray a burst onto some piece of paper or something) before spraying the minis. I ususally just give them a short burst, so the primer actually doesn't cover, but rather settles as a very fine dust on the models. I actualy don't dare give them a heavy coat, fearing that I'll obscure the details... If I feel I need better coverage, I usully apply a thin layer of astronomican grey by brush. I haven't tried the Vallejo primer, just their varnish. Hope this helps somewhat!

Ive been following your blog and it is very inspirational! Your conversion work is seamless and duo's your painting style. keep up the impressive work! Cant wait to see more of that wizard! I hope he too has a glorious beard.

He will have a beard. And a smoking pipe! Oh, and a pointy hat and a staff. I think he will actually look pretty much like a certain wizard from a certain trilogy about a certain ring. And stuff :p

Monsterzonk
12-11-2009, 10:13
Thanks, mate! Looks like I'm gonna need to buy some Skull White spray then. My wallet won't like this... ;)

Cheers,

Calibretto
12-11-2009, 14:14
You paint very well, its makes me sad ;). Ive been painting for a while and have gotten much better but i still cant make such a simple paintjob (the Handgunner) look so effective. Very nice horse, the armor looks like its been burnished and polished. Your conversion looks promising as well, I look forward to seeing them.

Dark Apostle
13-11-2009, 20:04
Some progress on the knight, though the jury is still out on wether he will be allowed to carry a the banner, considering his unfortunate accident (see previous pic) - if that is how he treats long, pointy things, well, suffice to say we don't want the pride of the unit to get stuck there...:p Err, OK, that can be misinterpreted but anyway... ehrm...:

one side
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/knightbanner002.jpg

the other side
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/knightbanner004.jpg

The head is not attached, I leave that until the other arm is in place, maybe some greenstuffing will be required to get it right.

Shortbus
13-11-2009, 20:20
Very very nice work!

The_Dark_Raven
13-11-2009, 21:45
Looks great, a really nice clean look to the metal is hard to get but you have pulled it off and managed to get the rest of the model looking very clean as well. A nice model overall, can't wait to see it with head and arm firmly attached to it! :)

Monsterzonk
13-11-2009, 21:55
Great work so far! Looking forward to the banner... ;)

Cheers,

Solun Decius
14-11-2009, 00:55
Wow! I was blown away by the metal plates on the horse. Very shiny and clean. Also the flesh and the natural shine on the red cloth. Exceptional work all round!
Can't wait to see the model finished.

Your first couple of posts are also mindblowing. Awesome shading and the banner is crazy! (I'm sooo subscribed)

The Wildchild
14-11-2009, 10:55
WOW! This log is fantastic!

Out of curiosity how'd you do your silver, it looks awesome! Shiny, yet muted...just the way it should be!

Ravenheart
14-11-2009, 11:57
Fantastic stuff indeed. Moar please! :)

Dark Apostle
14-11-2009, 12:39
Out of curiosity how'd you do your silver, it looks awesome! Shiny, yet muted...just the way it should be!

It's actually fairly simple, although metalics are a pain in the a** to get smooth. Basecoat Chainmail, hevavy wash with Badab Black, reapply Chainmail except for the recesses, Mithril Silver on the edges. Neaten up with Chainmail if the Mithril edging gets too broad in places. Sounds simple, but I wish I was better att NMM since I absolutely hate painting big areas with metalics, especially if they need to be shiny. Good thing I choose empire then... The Stank will be sooooooo much fun...

I find it much easier to do rusted, coroded metal areas, since the new washes do the job real good, and the only "pure" metalic paint showing will be the edges and scratches. Oh well, maybe skaven or beastmen will be my next project. Or wood elves, since they have almost no armour at all.

Monsterzonk
14-11-2009, 12:53
Erm... Beastmen, please..? :angel:

Dark Apostle
14-11-2009, 12:58
Erm... Beastmen, please..? :angel:
If GW gives us some new, good-looking minotaurs this may well be the case. But this project would still be a year off, so maybe the next tale? Maybe I could combine WE and BoC, kind of building the two rivaling forces in tandem? Now there's a thought... :evilgrin: Give them the same woodland bases, maybe decorated with fallen enemies, add a nice background story... hmm, I like this!

Monsterzonk
14-11-2009, 13:24
Great idea! I love building my armies in "versus mode", because it gives you a great storyline to theme your forces. And it lets you paint something different once in a while to keep things motivating.

richy376
15-11-2009, 11:06
The knight looks lovely so far. I was wondering if you were planning to use a unit of knights in your army, and if so whether you are going to use the existing ones, or if you are going to put a custom unit together? With the way you paint metals, a unit of knights would be something to see.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
15-11-2009, 11:30
I also build my armies in "vs. mode", Dwarfs & Empire vs. Orcs & G's. It's great, but I can't stop attaching enemy heads to the models...

BTW, that bsb on the first page, do you mind if I borough that lionfur-thing??
I think you converted it with one of the fur-coats from the Goblin sprues and a lion head, am I right??
Keep up the good work!

Dark Apostle
15-11-2009, 13:51
Great idea! I love building my armies in "versus mode", because it gives you a great storyline to theme your forces. And it lets you paint something different once in a while to keep things motivating.

Yes, your log is a real pleasure to follow, a shame you had to split the background/painting.

The knight looks lovely so far. I was wondering if you were planning to use a unit of knights in your army, and if so whether you are going to use the existing ones, or if you are going to put a custom unit together? With the way you paint metals, a unit of knights would be something to see.

There will be a unit of knights (the banner bearer is part of it), but I'll try to avoid using the existing knights.

BTW, that bsb on the first page, do you mind if I borough that lionfur-thing?? I think you converted it with one of the fur-coats from the Goblin sprues and a lion head, am I right??

I thought the fur came from a white wolf sprue, but I'm not sure (it was part of a bitz deal), the paw and head comes from the white lion crew from the HE chariot.

Update on the banner - can't seem to avoid irritating reflections from my lamp though. Please suggest improvements!!! The lion seems lonely somehow.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/banner002.jpg

Better (?) pic of the lion:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/banner005.jpg

Monsterzonk
15-11-2009, 14:05
Yes, your log is a real pleasure to follow, a shame you had to split the background/painting.

Thank you very much! Yes, I really hated having to separate the fluff from the log. I really lost my motivation to continue the story because of that... :(

There will be a unit of knights (the banner bearer is part of it), but I'll try to avoid using the existing knights.

So what minis will you use? Bretonnian horses perhaps? But then, they wouldn't really fit in with the banner bearer's horse....

As a suggestion for the banner, maybe add some script and/or purity seals. I know it's a bit cliché, but I think it works well. I did that for my Daemonhunter banner for 40k a few years back:

Dark Apostle
15-11-2009, 15:32
So what minis will you use? Bretonnian horses perhaps? But then, they wouldn't really fit in with the banner bearer's horse....

I have it all covered, but I don't want to spoil all the fun by telling you in advance... :chrome:

As a suggestion for the banner, maybe add some script and/or purity seals. I know it's a bit cliché, but I think it works well. I did that for my Daemonhunter banner for 40k a few years back:

Great ideas - cool banner! I also thought I could add some ribbons, tassels, hour glass, bone, skulls, laurels etc., the flagellant kit is justfull of them. Script directly onto the cloth is a great idea too.

Monsterzonk
15-11-2009, 15:59
Yeah, the Flagellant sprues are great! Maybe you could include one of the icons in your Knights' heraldry aswell. Hour glasses, keys and the twin tailed comet from the sprues work really well for that. I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy finished! :)

Cheers,

SonofUltramar
15-11-2009, 17:01
Fantastic models, just to let you know I was going to give up Empire but this log (and a couple of others) have convinced me to stick at it, keep up the great work.

Dark Apostle
15-11-2009, 20:00
I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy finished!

Your wait is over...

Fantastic models, just to let you know I was going to give up Empire but this log (and a couple of others) have convinced me to stick at it, keep up the great work.

Glad to have that effect! Now, go get some toy soldiers painted!

Banner bearer is finished. Bad light calls for some editing, so the colours got smoothed out a bit, but as usual it just makes things looks better so I won't complain :-)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/bannerknight001.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/bannerknight005.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/bannerknight009.jpg

The_Dark_Raven
15-11-2009, 20:15
Sweet banner, overall the model looks great! really nice banner added onto an already sweet model, good job.

SamVimes
15-11-2009, 21:34
That's kick-ass

Dino
15-11-2009, 21:43
Nice work on the BSB. I rather like the lion looking creature. The two tail comet on the end of it's tail. Whats next?

Indreth
15-11-2009, 22:17
Good job with BSB. The Freehand looks nice. I also like the head of him.
Cheers

Monsterzonk
16-11-2009, 10:08
Awesome work, mate! The banner looks superb, especially the freehand skull! Very well done! Now paint some Knights to give him company... :D

Cheers,

Gargobot
16-11-2009, 11:40
Great work! The painting in general and the freehand in particular are breathtaking!

Asp
16-11-2009, 15:38
really good, now go for the flagellants! :D :D

Wulf
18-11-2009, 21:24
Some great progress! I like this project a lot. Really clean painting and some very good modeling. The standardbearer is awesome, especially the motifs are superb. And I dont think that the lion seems "lonely" as you mentioned earlier. Using a simple symbol gives it clarity instead of bed´coming to cluttered. So my suggestion would be to leave it as it is.

keep it up and give us more!

/W

Elfboy
18-11-2009, 22:13
Love the conversion (and painting!) especially the way you did his helmet. Oh, and your warrior priest looks really cool too.

basher
19-11-2009, 07:22
awsome work man can i ask how you did the mettalic colous for the armour i always make a patchie mess off mine

Lord Azoth
19-11-2009, 08:14
really beautiful mini, the freehand is amazing..any trick about doing so detailed drawings?...

about the painting , the mini is amazing, your red is really neat and bright, but IMO the beard and the cloth in his head look a bit muted

Dark Apostle
19-11-2009, 18:32
Thanks everyone for your nice comments! Some replies, and new pictures:

Some great progress! I like this project a lot. Really clean painting and some very good modeling. The standardbearer is awesome, especially the motifs are superb. And I dont think that the lion seems "lonely" as you mentioned earlier. Using a simple symbol gives it clarity instead of becoming to cluttered. So my suggestion would be to leave it as it is.

I agree with you - once I glued the banner to the rest of the model it looked much better - I think I'll actually leave it as is, at least for now.

awsome work man can i ask how you did the mettalic colous for the armour i always make a patchie mess off mine

Metal is simply Chainmail, Badab black wash, Chainmail (exept for recesses), Mithril highlight. Just be careful not to use to thick paint - metallics can get real meesy if applied in too thick layers.

really beautiful mini, the freehand is amazing..any trick about doing so detailed drawings?...

about the painting , the mini is amazing, your red is really neat and bright, but IMO the beard and the cloth in his head look a bit muted

Freehand - well, practice :) I don't usually do such elaborate freehand designs, so this was something of a tester for me. Just use a fine brush eith a good point, and diluted paint so that any mistakes can be easily corrected. Especially if you need to reaply white...

I have a hard time telling ehat the pics actually look like for everyone else - on my stationary computer they look great, but in mt laptop they look kind of bleak and washed out.But the beard is fairly grey, and the cloth thing is also pretty muted - but that's intentionally, there's enough red already and I don't want to add another colour. I pondered making the cloth a mix of red/white, but figured it would be too much Talabheim.

New pics! Not much to show for the world, but I figured I'd do a "step-by-step" for the next batch of minis. At this stage they look really boring - I've just blocked in the main colours. But from here it only gets better. And I've spotted a few mould lines in the process aswell :mad:

9 halberdiers - a nice detachment. They may not be the best of troops available to the empire, but they are still the backbone of the army as far as fluff goes.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberds006-1.jpg

Close-up (including mould line...)
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberds010.jpg

Painted like this:

Uniform:
Codex gray
Dheneb stone

Armour/weapons:
Chainmail

Skulls/feathers/bandages:
Khemri brown

Tassels:
Mechrite red

Weapon pole:
Chardon granite

Leather:
Chaos black
Schorched brown (also used on the base)

At this stage things are pretty rough, but that's OK, plenty of time to covered up after the next stage - shading. Also, I've left the hair/beards/moustaches for now, as they will be individually coloured, and I figure there's no real benefit of painting them at this stage - I concentrate on the colours/areas that are the same for all the minis.

Mr.chair
19-11-2009, 19:14
Fantastic work. Consider me subscribed!

CMDante
19-11-2009, 19:21
Love it! Some of the nicest Empire I've seen.

This is going to be a wonderful army!

Will be keeping an eye on your progress.

Cheers,

Dante

Dark Apostle
19-11-2009, 20:22
New pics! Not much to show for the world, but I figured I'd do a "step-by-step" for the next batch of minis. At this stage they look really boring - I've just blocked in the main colours. But from here it only gets better.

I guess I just proved myself wrong - after shading they look even worse (though the pics hardly show any difference to my last post :)) I haven't done it in batches before, and I did one colour at a time from here when I did the test minis. But I guess these will turn out OK in the end, it's the same steps I used for the tester, just on more models at a time. Note to myself - be more careful when taking the mould lines away. These will have to live with some bad work in this respect, I haven't the energy to go back and redo them

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberdswash003.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberdswash006.jpg

This is how it's done:

Metal:
Wash of Badab black

Reds:
Wash Badab black

Skin:
Wash Devlan mud

Grey:
Badab black in the recesses

Dheneb stone areas:
Fortress grey in the recesses

Solun Decius
20-11-2009, 09:02
I guess I just proved myself wrong - after shading they look even worse ...
Nah! Maybe you feel they look messier up close after shading but there's certainly more life to them. If you've left too many mold lines behind though, shading is the step when that really drives you nuts. Nothing brings out a mold line like a nice dark shade along it's whole length :p

I think they look good after shading and can't wait to see the next steps. Don't keep us waiting too long :D

Monsterzonk
20-11-2009, 10:29
I think the Halberdiers look good so far! I know a lot of people who would call them finished already, and you haven't really started... ;) They're gonna turn out great!

I usually find that WIP minis really start to look good is when their faces are painted. I don't know why, but everytime I'm stuck, I force myself to paint the face and the rest of the mini is much more fun to do then!

Cheers,

Dark Apostle
20-11-2009, 11:17
Thanks guys, the next stage is actually to repaint the base colours, touching up all the messy parts. Then it's just a matter of highlighting and some detailing and they are ready to go! I think I might actually post the result for each finished colour from here on, rather than the complete stage. starting with the metal (as it can really screw things up of you get that paint in the wrong place, especially on finished areas!), then skin, uniform and accessories. And bases. Then I'll actually have something that at least remotely resembles a unit! Wow! Can't remember when that happened last, at least for WHFB. :)

Edit: WOT! This thread has, as I'm typing this, 100 coments and 6,666 views. I don't know why, but it feel like som kind of magic numbers clashing. 100 is, well, 100, and since 666 is kind of evil 6,666 must be super evil. Kind of...:wtf:

Calibretto
20-11-2009, 16:06
I for one would appreciate a picture after each step. So far i already do every step you describe so its some techniques on your part (or lack of understading on mine) which seperates our paintjobs and i would love to get to your level! And having not played WHFB for 7 or 8 years i had forgotten what a pain it was to get big units painted, i feel your pain on actually having a unit painted-especially to that standard.

Dark Apostle
22-11-2009, 15:00
Som more work done. Far from finished, but posting here makes it feel like progress :)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberdshigh1004.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberdshigh1006.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberdshigh1008.jpg

Reapplied chainmail, Fortress grey on the grey areas, skull white on the Dheneb stone areas, Bleached bone on the feathers.

Not so sharp pictures, though I use Macro. Any ideas to improve on that part?

SonofUltramar
22-11-2009, 15:24
You know they still look fantastic, I guess everyone is their own worst critic and all that but if my Empire ended up at that level I'd be very happy:)

Solun Decius
22-11-2009, 20:17
Not so sharp pictures, though I use Macro. Any ideas to improve on that part?
Increase the aperture. Take the photo over a longer period of time (on tripod or still surface). If you can't change these variables (Shutter Speed or Aperture) you can at least take the photo in stronger light and the camera should automatically use a different aperture and get more sharpness throughout.
Also make sure the autofocus is focusing on their faces, not on the halberd.
Third, if you have photo editing software, use "auto-levels" or "auto color correct" and then "sharpen" or "Unsharp mask" after you resize the photos to get forth all the sharpness the photo has to offer.

Very nice looking regiment still. We're all waiting for the final steps ;)

Asp
22-11-2009, 23:53
when these are done and you are taking pictures, please take pictures where these men are NOT ranked up as well. will look better on the dark aposle subsite of my mordheim site :D :D

Dark Apostle
23-11-2009, 13:56
I guess everyone is their own worst critic

That's certainly the case with me. I feel pretty confident that they will look good in the end, it's just that I'm unused to painting batches like this - I paint my minis one by one, doing one colour at the time, and seeing so many half-finished minis with so many mistakes yet to be corrected at one and the same time is just scary :p

Very nice looking regiment still. We're all waiting for the final steps

Thanks, and thanks for your advice on taking photos. I guess I most of all need better light (but hey, there has been 3 sun-hours where I live so far this month...). I also need a better objective for my "good" camera - maybe a macro?. As it is now my compact digicam actually takes better photos indoor :mad:

when these are done and you are taking pictures, please take pictures where these men are NOT ranked up as well. will look better on the dark aposle subsite of my mordheim site

Yay, 9 henchmen with halberds - now there's a thought...

New pics! I try a new formation:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberdsskin014.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberdsskin012.jpg

Reds are finished with a Blood red highlight followed by a Red gore glaze

Skin: Tallarn flesh, Tallarn/Elf Flesh mix, Elf flesh

Weapon shafts: Khemri brown highlight.

What remains: Black areas, bandages/parchments/skulls, final metal highlight, bases, details.

Monsterzonk
23-11-2009, 16:57
I feel pretty confident that they will look good in the end, it's just that I'm unused to painting batches like this - I paint my minis one by one, doing one colour at the time, and seeing so many half-finished minis with so many mistakes yet to be corrected at one and the same time is just scary :p

Yeah, I know what you mean. I also paint each mini separately. It takes ages, but I simply cannot paint in badges. It freaks me out! ;)

They're looking great so far! Very clean painting and a cool colour scheme. Nice work!

Cheers,

Asp
23-11-2009, 17:06
Yay, 9 henchmen with halberds - now there's a thought...

i didnt say that i was going to use all of them

though the name of the game in the gallery is inspiration, not necessarily a conciencious adaptation of what you'd field when playing

75hastings69
23-11-2009, 17:27
This is going to be a wonderful army, so much excellent stuff here already. I love themed Empire armies and looking at the start of yours makes me want to get back to my Ostlanders! Brilliant stuff so far, keep up the high standard.

SonofUltramar
23-11-2009, 22:23
That's certainly the case with me. I feel pretty confident that they will look good in the end, it's just that I'm unused to painting batches like this - I paint my minis one by one, doing one colour at the time, and seeing so many half-finished minis with so many mistakes yet to be corrected at one and the same time is just scary :p

Well as someone who has always batch painted I know exactly how you feel but the finished product is the best thing to keep focused on. That said I've started off by doing one or two models at the start just so I can see a completed model for motivation, really helps to be able to look over and see a finished Handgunner or Swordsmen when painting batches.

I also recommend to anyone considering batch painting to try batches of 4 to 6 models as it stops you painting half a unit in one go but is enough to progress quickly which is in itself a good motivator.

Dino
24-11-2009, 02:24
Halbediers are turnning out nicely. I find it interesting that I go through more steps then you do when painting. Guess its just painting style or something.

odmiller
24-11-2009, 05:38
Outstanding stuff. Beautiful and clean.

Dark Apostle
24-11-2009, 08:00
i didnt say that i was going to use all of them

Sorry, it's just that I got a vision of totaly spamming the board with henchmen... when I played Mordheim I usually went the other way - cramming in as many characters as I could, usually witch hunters with crossbows! Quite effective if you got a good firing lane! Then some dogs and flaggies to hold up the enemy.

This is going to be a wonderful army, so much excellent stuff here already. I love themed Empire armies and looking at the start of yours makes me want to get back to my Ostlanders! Brilliant stuff so far, keep up the high standard.

There can never be to many empire armies -get at it! Although I wouldn't want you to put your orcs on hold - I want to see that giant finished!

I also recommend to anyone considering batch painting to try batches of 4 to 6 models as it stops you painting half a unit in one go but is enough to progress quickly which is in itself a good motivator.

Yes, I think I might cut the batches down to 5 (one row), but getting a whole detachment done will be quite satisfying! And 9 is a pretty good number (insted of 10) - once you've worked yourself through 5 of them there's less than half to go before you've completed a stage...

Halbediers are turnning out nicely. I find it interesting that I go through more steps then you do when painting. Guess its just painting style or something.

I've tried to rationalize as much as possible so that I can progress more rapidly. Just doing the three "basic" steps - base coat, shading, highlight - is one way, mininmaizing the amount of mixin colours is another. Its only the flesh and parchments that get any mixed colours at all, the rest are straight out of the pot.

Outstanding stuff. Beautiful and clean.

Clean is what I opt for - doing two or three thin layers instead of one thick really does the trick. But it doesn't help if you've been sloppy when assembling the minis (mold lines, lumps of dried glue etc.)

Should be able to finish the halberdiers today, so stay tuned for the finished result!

SonofUltramar
24-11-2009, 09:27
Sorry to be a pain but can I ask how much do you water down Red Gore to make the glaze, I think it looks great and would probably do wonders for my Hochland army?

cheers

Jono

Dark Apostle
24-11-2009, 17:42
Sorry to be a pain but can I ask how much do you water down Red Gore to make the glaze

It's hard to tell, I usually just take the brush loaded with paint and dip it in my water container -no exact ratios there... I think the main concern is to not make it a wash, so it won't pool in the recesses. Just touch a your brush to a paper towel or the like before you apply the glaze and you should be fine. If it's too thin, just make another glaze.

Now, let me present the finished detachment!

Head on:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberds1029.jpg

Slightly from the side:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberds1039.jpg

Single model (I changed the one from the previous posts - his moustache just refused to look good in the pictures!):
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/halberds1020.jpg

basher
24-11-2009, 17:50
awesome makes my painting look bad

Asp
24-11-2009, 18:15
looking really good, now unrank them so i can make a html page for you :D

Elfboy
24-11-2009, 18:43
I am always amazed by how clean your painting is. Great job on this unit, what have got lined up for us next?

Dino
24-11-2009, 19:26
Detachment looks really good. Will you be painting a whole unit next month?

Dark Apostle
24-11-2009, 19:31
looking really good, now unrank them so i can make a html page for you :D

As soon as there's decent light around here. Which may takes som time. Like until june...

I am always amazed by how clean your painting is. Great job on this unit, what have got lined up for us next?

Detachment looks really good. Will you be painting a whole unit next month?

I think some big artillery is next. Then some other shooty stuff. As soon as it's time for posting in the TOFP thread I'll update with some pics here as well. But I think I'll take som time now for building a unit or two for painting later on.

Asp
25-11-2009, 00:55
you dont think two lamps right in their faces will do the trick?

i live in scandinavia too

Lord Dan
25-11-2009, 03:43
Absolutely stunning. I'm glad I found this log! I'd love to see some more WIP shots if you have the time.

SonofUltramar
25-11-2009, 07:26
Fantastic work, I may even revive my log at this rate, lol, and thank you for the glazing tip:)

Jono

Solun Decius
25-11-2009, 10:18
I guess I most of all need better light (but hey, there has been 3 sun-hours where I live so far this month...).
Ooof! Tell me about it. It's still dark when i go to work and it's dark again when I leave. How's that for depressing ;)
I'm always using electric lamps for photos, and it's really hit & miss.

I also need a better objective for my "good" camera - maybe a macro?. As it is now my compact digicam actually takes better photos indoor :mad:
A macro lens isn't necessary (although it's great fun).
Before I had a macro lens I'd use a long lens (or zoom lens extended far out) and put it fairly far away from the model, in order to focus properly. I'd have that on a tripod (if you don't have one you should be able to prop it up on something else, I always believe you can use what you have, until you really feel the need to get a tripod). Then use the setting where you can change the aperture (F-14 is nice I think, or somewhere between F-9 and F-20). Also set the ISO as low as you can for best clarity (SIO-100 I guess). This will mean the shutter speed will be fairly long but that's OK if the camera is still. Make sure the focus is on a good spot and then use the Timer (or extension chord / remote) to snap the photo.

However, your last photos are really really nice, so I don't see why I'm giving advice here. Mainly I'm just reminding you that you've got all you need to take great photos. There's no need to spend money to get it better, unless you want to of course, then that just fine.

On topic: The finished regiment is top notch. Really good painting, smooth skin on the faces and nice and clean bases.
Can't wait to see more of this army unfold.

Dark Apostle
25-11-2009, 14:50
you dont think two lamps right in their faces will do the trick?

Sure will, come this weekend I'll get you some good photos, of the halberdiers and the priests.

However, your last photos are really really nice, so I don't see why I'm giving advice here.

Anything suggestions for improvement are more than welcome - as it is now I usually take like 20 pics and hope a couple of them will be usable :)

Here's something I built today:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/flaggies003.jpg

I like this guy:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/flaggies006.jpg

Monsterzonk
25-11-2009, 15:11
The halberdiers look just great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing those Flagellants painted! They're such cool models!

Cheers,

Indreth
25-11-2009, 15:49
Hahaha the bellguy looks just awsome :D Can't wait to see them painted.
cheers

basher
25-11-2009, 16:00
the flagellants look great love the bell dude

Asp
26-11-2009, 13:55
those flaggelants are good, but your old ones were anazing

eigther way, its a win-win for me who really wanted to see grey flagellants :D :D

pointyteeth
26-11-2009, 19:36
haha, awesome stuff. I might have to steal the bell guy :)

Lord Azoth
27-11-2009, 07:21
can only say..BONG!!!...great conversion, looking forward to see them painted

Asp
27-11-2009, 20:40
now look what you did, you inspired l00 (http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/who.htm)to paint a wissenlander (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4168344&postcount=283)

Gargobot
27-11-2009, 21:42
Bell-head is a great idea! Where's the bell from?

Asp
27-11-2009, 21:58
corpse cart

Gonfrask
29-11-2009, 22:32
Jejejejeje, a funny flagelant musician, sad they have not the options of it, have they?

MikMatPip
30-11-2009, 06:26
Superb work! Such clean painting and some good converting to boot. How long did it take for you to paint your BSB? Your models look really great, but something tells me that they don't even take too long to paint (at least compared to my usual, slow painting speed).

Dark Apostle
30-11-2009, 19:10
now look what you did, you inspired l00 (http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/who.htm)to paint a wissenlander (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4168344&postcount=283)

Oooh, nice! Tell 100 that's one mean-looking archer! BTW, good pictures for your site will have to wait some more, I just can't find the spare time to set things up for a good photoshoot ATM. :cries:

Jejejejeje, a funny flagelant musician, sad they have not the options of it, have they?

Unfortunately no, but that won't stop him!

Superb work! Such clean painting and some good converting to boot. How long did it take for you to paint your BSB? Your models look really great, but something tells me that they don't even take too long to paint (at least compared to my usual, slow painting speed).

The BSB took me the greater part of a month. I'm actually quite a slow painter myself, so this TOFP is a test to se if I can speed things up, streamlinging things a bit (I ususally paint my minis one at a time) and cuting down on the amount of mixing paints, the number of layers etc. And still keeping it interesting. :)

PIP of 5 flagellants. Hair, light broen areas, metals and bases not finished.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/flaggieswip003.jpg

Munting
30-11-2009, 20:52
Wow dude, I've been following this.
Your an amazing painter.
Looks like Empire are my next project come Christmas.......

Solun Decius
01-12-2009, 08:27
Wowee! The flagellants are frackin' ace! Rich and strong colors and of course top notch painting! (photo really sharp and rich in color too ;))

basher
01-12-2009, 10:59
those flagellants look awesome man your painting is so crisp and smooth

Asp
01-12-2009, 14:45
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/Mordheim/drunk1.jpg

http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

Shortbus
01-12-2009, 15:21
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/Mordheim/drunk1.jpg

He's hammered ... Hehehe ...

Ghod
01-12-2009, 15:33

I'm with Asp...

It would be awesome to see some more work on your Witch Hunter warbad, could be used as a free company detachment...

Pretty please??

Dark Apostle
01-12-2009, 19:57

Hmm, what could you possibly mean by this? :angel:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/Mordheim/drunk3.jpg

I think he'll go with the main unit of flaggies, not in some free company detachment (for now at least - may change later when I complete the whole mordheim warband)

Gargobot
01-12-2009, 22:09
I'm confused, you guys know each other (Asp and Dark Apostle)?
Anyhow, flaggies look great already. I think I'll wait with mine a couple months longer, so no one will compare them. ;)

tancrede
02-12-2009, 07:17
I really like the last flagellant.
But I think you should remove the "fleur de lys" on the mug...

Dark Apostle
02-12-2009, 07:40
I'm confused

Aren't we all :p Actually, we don't know each other outside this forum, but Asp is running a great Mordheim page (see his sig) and want's me to finish my flagellant so he can feature it there. And within a not too distant future he will be able to do that!

I really like the last flagellant.
But I think you should remove the "fleur de lys" on the mug...

Good idea, I think I'll do just that!

Monsterzonk
02-12-2009, 07:47
Your lunatics are looking great so far! However, I do hope you'll add some dirt and mud to their robes! ;)

Cheers,

Dark Apostle
02-12-2009, 08:07
Your lunatics are looking great so far! However, I do hope you'll add some dirt and mud to their robes! ;)

Cheers,

I've actually given that some thought. The overall appearance of the army is very "clean", meaning no mud, rust etc., but I think I'll add some to the flagellants. After all they lead a dirty and rough life, and I guess taking care of their clothes (or what pass for clothes...) wouldn't be high priority. So expect both rust and mud on these boys!

Dark Apostle
02-12-2009, 18:12
It seems like we'll have to wait for the new TOFP thread, so I'll post my work for this month here instead (at least the things I haven't showed yet in this thread):

Handgunners:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/month4029.jpg

Cannon:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/month4032.jpg

Crew:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/month4037.jpg

Cannon & crew together:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/month4040.jpg

Gargobot
02-12-2009, 18:17
I'll refrain from commenting on these (will do that later in the tale), and just mention that this plog should be renamed: Empire: Awesomeland :)

Asp
02-12-2009, 18:45
ranked up or not, this is SOO going on the site!

what's TOPF though?

Dark Apostle
02-12-2009, 20:40
I'll refrain from commenting on these (will do that later in the tale), and just mention that this plog should be renamed: Empire: Awesomeland :)

:o

ranked up or not, this is SOO going on the site!
what's TOPF though?

TOFP - "The Tale of Fantasy Painters", in which a brave crowd of hobbyists commit to paint 200 pts each month, ending up with a 2000 pts army at the end of the period (12 months). You'll find the threads in the "painting support group". the new thread for month 4 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233529) is just up.

Monsterzonk
02-12-2009, 21:50
The painting again is astonishingly smooth again. I really like the colour scheme of Wissenland contrasted with those red details. Brilliant!

Cheers,

Indreth
02-12-2009, 22:25
Stunning work as ever. I really like the cannon, especially with the big wheels.
Cheers

mrtn
02-12-2009, 23:32
Very nice painting here. :)

Lord Azoth
03-12-2009, 07:19
amazing blending and smoothness...congratz mate..see this whole army once it´s finished over a table will be AMAZING

Solun Decius
03-12-2009, 09:52
Another awesome update here. Congrats on the Tale deadline (yeah, each one is a victory in it's own). 200 pts of that standard per month is very impressive.
Now get going on the next months batch ;)

flESh
04-12-2009, 01:01
Your work is amazing, Dark Apostle. I especially like the wood grain on the canon and handguns... Something I'm still pondering whether to do or not. It's such a nice touch, but my lack of experience in that particular department means I would have to take to time to learn how to do it first.

Jiggy
04-12-2009, 11:01
The painting here is superb.Well done.

Kasrkin 666
04-12-2009, 16:55
Wow, this army is SUPERB!

-Sunny

Dark Apostle
04-12-2009, 21:13
The painting again is astonishingly smooth again. I really like the colour scheme of Wissenland contrasted with those red details. Brilliant!

Stunning work as ever. I really like the cannon, especially with the big wheels.

Very nice painting here.

amazing blending and smoothness...congratz mate..see this whole army once it´s finished over a table will be AMAZING

Another awesome update here.

Your work is amazing, Dark Apostle.

The painting here is superb.Well done.

Wow, this army is SUPERB!

-Sunny

Well, I don't know what to say, except :) - I'm really flattered! This will keep me going for quite some time (comes in handy as I'm out of Duracells right now...)

So, let me present the first 5 finished flaggies!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/5flag006.jpg

My favourite conversion in this batch:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/5flag012.jpg

I really like how the hair turned out on this one:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/5flag007.jpg

Anardakil
04-12-2009, 21:45
Some really wonderful flagellants. I especially like how you painted the metals.

Monsterzonk
04-12-2009, 21:51
Looking great! I really like the subtle weathering on their robes. And I have to agree with Anardakil: the metals are superb!

Cheers,

pointyteeth
04-12-2009, 22:23
Superb flagellants, really character models and excellent painting. I'm going to have to agree with Anardakil and Monsterzonk, superb metals. Keep it up! Can't wait to see the "hammered" guy painted :D

TheZombieSquig
05-12-2009, 01:54
Your painting and conversions are very clean and they look excellent. Those flagellants are very original, especially the musician. Thanks for sharing.

basher
05-12-2009, 07:50
awesome as always

Daniel36
05-12-2009, 08:10
You use very light colours, but they work very well. Most people, including me, use very dark colours. I guess that's easier, but this is marvelous! Keep up!

Dino
05-12-2009, 18:17
Very nice faggies. These easily are better then the ones i'm painting for my client right now. But then again I'm not much one for the flaggellants.

SonofUltramar
05-12-2009, 21:04
Have to say those Flagellants are fantastic, I really like the metal, hair and everything else:)

Denny_Crane
06-12-2009, 00:03
I'm a huge fan of your Empire army Dark Apostle.

Question: Do you turn the Fortress Grey into a glaze when applying it on the the Deneb Stone, also is the method the the cloth just Deneb Stone base coat, Fortress Grey in the recesses and then a white undercoat?

Dark Apostle
06-12-2009, 09:20
Some really wonderful flagellants. I especially like how you painted the metals.

Looking great! I really like the subtle weathering on their robes. And I have to agree with Anardakil: the metals are superb!

Thanks a lot, I also think the metals turned out pretty nice. They are pretty simple - chainmail, badab black wash, chainmail highlight, mithril silver extreme highlight (sharp edges) and bestial brown in some recesses for a rusted appearance. Clean and worn at the same time :)

I'm a huge fan of your Empire army Dark Apostle.

Question: Do you turn the Fortress Grey into a glaze when applying it on the the Deneb Stone, also is the method the the cloth just Deneb Stone base coat, Fortress Grey in the recesses and then a white undercoat?

Pretty much like that. Dheneb stone base, fortress grey (not a glaze, but slightly watered down) in the folds, then sharp, distinct white highlights.

Gargobot
06-12-2009, 15:28
The definition of awesome!

fluffy05
06-12-2009, 15:31
The Flaggie Conversion with the bell on his head made me laugh. Is he the unit musician :D

Great log. Keep it coming!

Back to uni study :(

Magos Errant
06-12-2009, 20:49
Your 'Hammered' dude, and Bell dude are awesome! Great job!

sir_shvantselot
06-12-2009, 21:10
Really inspirational stuff! My empire painting is much messier but I reckon it's the only ay of ever completing the army. Keep up the amazing work. Somethng for me to benchmark by.

Virtues
06-12-2009, 23:26
Hi

After reading through your log i must say i am really impressed with your skill and style. the flagellants look great and i'm sure your log will be an inspiration to many :)

I will be following closely consider me suscribed

Keep up the good work

Virtues

npow34
09-12-2009, 15:26
Some great painting and modeling in this thread. Inspires me to want to take on Empire for my next project.....if I ever finish any of my first two projects!!! ARG darn you GW!!!

Love everything you got in here. Clean and crisp painting. How do you acheive such smoothness? I love the flagellants. That bell headed guy is brillant!

Thanks for sharing looking forward to the next update *Subscribe*

Lunar
09-12-2009, 20:19
I've been considering whether to make my first Fantasy army The Empire, and you, good sir, have convinced me completely. I really like your clean style of painting and stunning blending. Consider me subscribed (and going to get my new army book and state troops tomorrow).

Boogersmcgee
13-12-2009, 00:21
I've been considering whether to make my first Fantasy army The Empire, and you, good sir, have convinced me completely. I really like your clean style of painting and stunning blending. Consider me subscribed (and going to get my new army book and state troops tomorrow).

Agreed. I was on the fence with making my First army Empire but dang!!

Fenix Felder
13-12-2009, 06:34
the bell headed guy is hilarious!! Great work!

ftayl5
22-12-2009, 04:01
dude, your work is awesomerific. Love the cannon and flaggies, love the guy with a bell on his head, great protection against killing blow. ;)

Can't wait to see more.

Dark Apostle
22-12-2009, 19:34
Painting is slow atm, but since it's almost christmas I thought I should share what I've been working on lately:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/muso.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/muso2-2.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/muso3.jpg

Musician to go with the knight w banner. It was a real nightmare to do away with the horses plume without ruining to much detail. As you can see in the third photo I only had to resculpt two small skulls and to rivets. Pretty good result I think.

A cookie (gingerbread of course!) to anyone who can guess what the grey lump in the back of the first two photos is!

The Wildchild
22-12-2009, 20:05
Nice! Very nice! As for the "grey lump" I'm guessing a battle wizard?

Gonfrask
22-12-2009, 23:31
Dark Apostle, I have friends in other forum asking about your recipe for the metals, especialy the iron armours

ohno!zombies!
23-12-2009, 01:28
This is a contender for the best Empire army I have even seen. Well done.

best,

SonofUltramar
23-12-2009, 07:46
Fantastic work as always, I'd second The Wildchild's idea of a battle wizard as the thing in his hand looks like the top of one of the staffs?

Dark Apostle
23-12-2009, 07:51
As for the "grey lump" I'm guessing a battle wizard?

I'd second The Wildchild's idea of a battle wizard as the thing in his hand looks like the top of one of the staffs?

Nope, keep on guessing! :):);)

Lord Azoth
23-12-2009, 07:56
really nice conversion...can´t wait for seeing it painted...

your army will look really awesome

Vazalaar
23-12-2009, 08:43
This army is a real inspiration. The grey lump is one man helping the other one who is trying to lift a cannon ball/grenade?

3vilX
23-12-2009, 08:50
the grey lump looks like a pair of flaggelants holding a statue of sigmar, maybe? Really digging the musician (and the rest of the minis in this blog).

Gonfrask
23-12-2009, 08:55
That seem some kind of Sigmar Priest...

Crazy Ivan
23-12-2009, 09:20
Very cool army, Dark Apostle! I thought the Wissenland scheme was boring until I saw these. Excellent conversions too (love the standard bearer)! :)

As for the grey lump; is it (partly) made of one of the statues from the the Empire Chapel kit? It looks familiar... As for what it's supposed to be... uhm... an Arch Lector? [/wild guessing]

Dark Apostle
23-12-2009, 10:03
And the winner is .... !!!

the grey lump looks like a pair of flaggelants holding a statue of sigmar, maybe?

Congratulations, the gingerbread is all yours!

http://www.nogg.se/upload/75690/blogg_183548.jpg

PS. I didn't bake the cookie, it's a random pic from the net

plantagenet
23-12-2009, 11:58
What colours did you use for the wood on the cannon?

Great log by the way

Dark Apostle
23-12-2009, 13:14
OK, here we go again! First some answers:

Dark Apostle, I have friends in other forum asking about your recipe for the metals, especialy the iron armours

It's pretty simple: Chainmail, Badab black wash, chainmail again except for the recesses, highlight with mithril silver. Keep the paint thin.

What colours did you use for the wood on the cannon?

The cannon is a bit darker IRL than in the photos, it's a basecoat of chardon granite and lines painted with khemri brown with some comando khaki on the sharp edges.

Now, pictures! A unit filler for my flaggies - a poor guy pulling a big statue, "encouraged" by his friend :)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/filler.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/filler2.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/filler3.jpg

basher
23-12-2009, 13:49
the best conversions are the simple ones i really like that

Child of Nurgle
23-12-2009, 19:24
That unit filler is awesome! Where did the statue come from?

3vilX
23-12-2009, 22:16
lol, that's a great unit filler. If I ever get into WHFB you should consider it stolen.

Kasrkin 666
24-12-2009, 16:42
I'm loving what I am seeing! Especially that musician!

-Sunny

flESh
25-12-2009, 12:58
This blog just keeps on reaching new heights of Awesomeness!
I simply love the unit filler, especially because it makes sense - A "mobile" piece of scenery in the midst of a unit on the move, rather than a stationary piece.

Dark Apostle
02-01-2010, 17:23
That unit filler is awesome! Where did the statue come from?
It's from the empire scenery chapel.

Now with paint!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/fillerpainted.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/fillerpainted2.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/fillerpainted3.jpg

CMDante
02-01-2010, 17:31
Nicely done as always mate, a great unit filler - very characterful!

What's next on your plate? Looking forward to more of those knights.

Cheers,

Dante

Dino
02-01-2010, 20:09
My hat goes of to you good sir. Very nice paint job on the unit filler.

I agree with CMDante. I too am looking forward to those knights as well.

Demrush
02-01-2010, 21:41
A-m-a-z-i-n-g!!

I can't believe I missed this plog! Love the crisp and clean style you've got and the conversions are great.

Not sure if this was posted but I have a question: how do you paint the skin on those flagellants? I'm guessing is tallarn flesh with a devlan mud wash and then highlighted with more talarn flesh with bleached bone mix?

Again, great work and keep it up,
Demrush

Solun Decius
02-01-2010, 21:54
That's a really impressive unit filler. Nice and clean conversion and a great paint job, and the idea is just brilliant.

Mr.chair
03-01-2010, 01:51
Wow, totally shows how much rock paper scissors can change your life. The dude who threw rock is kicking himself right now. The irony!

maze ironheart
03-01-2010, 10:22
I really like your work I can't wait too see you do a steam tank I myself am working on my wissenland army giving it a update buy adding a plastic steam tank.

Dark Apostle
03-01-2010, 10:27
What's next on your plate? Looking forward to more of those knights.

I really like your work I can't wait too see you do a steam tank I myself am working on my wissenland army giving it a update buy adding a plastic steam tank.

First of all, thanks for all encouraging words! another knight and a steam tank are actually up next...

Not sure if this was posted but I have a question: how do you paint the skin on those flagellants? I'm guessing is tallarn flesh with a devlan mud wash and then highlighted with more talarn flesh with bleached bone mix?

You almost nailed it - Tallarna flesh, Devlan mud, highlight by adding elf flesh to the Tallarn flesh.

Armond
03-01-2010, 11:45
Your painting quickly humbles me. It is very good brushwork and I enjoy your updates! You have some really great ideas as well!!! Keep it up and keep cranking!

Lt Dougheim
03-01-2010, 16:46
This is one of the coolest armies I have ever seen. Keep it up.

Asp
03-01-2010, 22:43
Very good :D

Lord Dan
03-01-2010, 23:56
Okay, so what's your method for the stone?

Dark Apostle
04-01-2010, 00:39
Okay, so what's your method for the stone?

Quite simple actually - it's a basecoat of codex gray washed with leviathan purple. Then drybrushed with codex grey, kommando kakhi, fortress grey, dheneb stone and finally a light brush of skull white.

I gave it the purple tone to set it aside from the grrey I use on robes and uniforms. I imagine green or brown would have worked fine too.

Lord Dan
04-01-2010, 03:09
No, the purple was an outstanding choice.

tancrede
04-01-2010, 07:51
Very nice work, as always.

Malenky_malchick
04-01-2010, 14:31
That's a really impressive army. Puts my empire troops to shame.

Keep up the great work, I'll follow this with interest.

Monsterzonk
05-01-2010, 09:37
Incredible work once again! I love that unit filler! Very characterful, very cool. The knights' musician also looks very promising. The current metal Empire characters are superb, so using them as a basis is always a good idea. Keep it up!

Cheers,

Gork or Possibly Mork
05-01-2010, 20:12
That is absoulutely, positively brilliant work.

Im not even that big a fan of Empire per se but your army is really something else. Love the conversions, there not real real complex but you didn't over do it either. Seems just right. Colors work so well and probably some of the cleanest painting I've seen for so many models.

Im with you on the white undercoat. It makes the colors pop soo much more.
I notice alot of people start black and it's hard to get those lights back and it never really pops as much IMO.

Another Richard
06-01-2010, 13:55
These are beautifully painted, characterful models. Keep it up!

Mr. Ultra
06-01-2010, 15:22
Awesome! I love that Flagellants!

Can you post a tutorial about those brown tones?

Asp
06-01-2010, 16:29
unit filler have been added to your other workds here:

http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/witchhuntersda.htm

eagerly awaiting the drunkellant :D

Dakkapantz
08-01-2010, 00:30
An absolutely stunning army! Can't believe your doing an entire Empire army up to this standard. It will look completely out of this world when it's complete! I love the flagellents, especially the one with the bell on his head:D

Cheers

Peyton

thebadger
08-01-2010, 12:40
Awe inspiring :)

Such a fantastic, crisp finish!

ftayl5
30-01-2010, 09:44
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just noticed the detail on the Flagellant without a masks face :eek:
That is amazing!

Commodus Leitdorf
30-01-2010, 17:39
Hmm I have a few of those statues....and I have yet to get some flagellants...

Idea stolen!

Asp
02-02-2010, 10:08
eagerly.............. awaiting................ the drunkellant :(

Lord Azoth
02-02-2010, 14:09
what a filler!!! the unit will look awesome

HA!
03-02-2010, 15:34
Your grey is SO proppa! Proably the best empire army I've ever seen; Now I
think I might keep the little buggers.

Dark Apostle
03-02-2010, 16:48
OK, since comments start popping up - last month has seen me playing more Dragon Age than painting toy soldiers, so there really is nothing new to show. But I have to get painting again to keep up with the TOFP, so expect more frequent updates during february. And a big thanks to everyone that shows interest in this army! Something big is coming this way, and I hope you'll not get dissapointed.

Calibretto
03-02-2010, 17:14
We request, no..... demand, more awesome figs! Though ive mainly been playing DA as well to be honest. Ive been painting these last few days though, you should too!

Asp
04-02-2010, 09:26
drunkellant is indeed something big ;)

Ferran
21-02-2010, 15:53
Yeah very nice blog, as are the others.

Dark Apostle
01-03-2010, 19:03
Long time no see! I'm back on track after beeing side-tracked by Dragon Age: Origins for the last few monts, and from now on I'll try to keep updates somewhat more frequent.

The colours got really washed out, I don't know why. Maybe too much light directed on the mini? The red looks really flat and dull in the pictures but are a much deeper, richer hue IRL - very similiar to the reds on my other minis. Anyway, Steam tank o'hoy!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/TOFP/steamy.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/TOFP/steamy2.jpg

Breazer
01-03-2010, 19:07
very nice tank there...
i dont think it looks dull...i think it looks very well painted...
i wish i was that good...haha...
keep it up.. your stuff looks awesome

Asp
01-03-2010, 20:12
i think it looks... inappropriate for mordhiem :( :( :(

Mr Feral
01-03-2010, 20:27
Nice metallics. :)

I always enjoy updates in this log.

Indreth
01-03-2010, 20:39
Long time no see! I'm back on track after beeing side-tracked by Dragon Age: Origins for the last few monts, and from now on I'll try to keep updates somewhat more frequent.

Can't wait to see more ;)
The steam-tank is great. How long did it took you to paint?
Cheers

Dark Apostle
02-03-2010, 18:32
Nice metallics. :)

I always enjoy updates in this log.

Thanx! I'm pretty happy with the metallics myself. I basecoated boltgun metal and then used foam from a blister pack to highlight the lower parts of the hull with with chainmail and mithril silver,

Can't wait to see more ;)
The steam-tank is great. How long did it took you to paint?
Cheers

About a month all in all.

i think it looks... inappropriate for mordhiem :( :( :(

I get it, I get it ;)

Dino
02-03-2010, 18:41
Now that is a nice looking stank. And don't worry it's ok to be of track becouse of Dragon Age: Origins(thats a great game).

Indreth
02-03-2010, 21:31
Phew, that's pretty long... but the result is worth the time I think.

Brother Mordeus
03-03-2010, 19:16
Gorgeous and clean , simply amazing.

Dark Apostle
04-03-2010, 18:44
Coming up (to be painted after some Mordheim-friendly drunk...;))

Wizards are nice, but the plastic ones somehow look the same, no matter what head and staff top you choose. So it's back to the box of flaggies once again. Still very much VIP - He needs some keys, maybe a scroll or two. Oh, and a head. Sugestions on this one? Maybe the bare-headed with moustache from the great swords?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/TOFP/firewiz.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z207/tpernler/TOFP/firewiz2.jpg

doc_cthulhu
04-03-2010, 19:34
Maybe some kislevite head? Bald and big moustaches? Would be a nice change from those red and yellow haired basic ones.

The pose gives me some troubles though. The flame in left hand seems to indicate that he's casting a spell (or something) but the flames in the sword make it look like he has just sweeped the sword into the air. I think I would make him wield another sword and possibly build the flames so that they rise upwards. That could make the pose more powerful for now it seems a bit too busy.

Another possibility could be to turn the sword so that the flames would go along with the wind according to the "ripples" in his cape and pants.

Elfboy
04-03-2010, 21:58
Thats a great looking conversion, i was thinking of the doing something similar so as not to waste the extra cloak/arm bits. I think your bald head and moustache idea sounds great, go for it! Love the way you've strapped the tome to his body, look forward to seeing this guy come along, he looks like he will bring the "battle" to name battle wizard

Indreth
04-03-2010, 22:56
Looks like a great start for this one.
You could use the bold head and sculp a beard or you take another head and make him bold. The box contains a lot of great beards :)
Cheers

Gonfrask
04-03-2010, 23:45
Fire Wizard? Bare head and tatoos

Seer Drakon
05-03-2010, 00:36
Great plog. I love the empire stuff you have been working on. I can't wait to see more!!!

Dino
05-03-2010, 02:45
I like the bright wizard. Can't wait to see the the finished product.