PDA

View Full Version : anvil of doom (rune of death and destruction) - what does it shoot?

sigur
22-01-2006, 17:20
I guess the rune's real name is a bit different but I guess you get what I'm talking about. What I do know it that it's not magic and therefore can't be dispelled, so far so good. My question: What are these non-magic-magic shots now? Do hey count as normal shooting?

I played against the "new Dwarfs" yesterday and the Dwarf player insisted that these shots are "some dwarfy special thing" and can target anything he wants, even units which are engaged in close combat and the "Watch out, Sir!"-rule does not apply.

Sounds rather strange to me, is there any clarification yet what these shots count as?

Thanks for your help people

Festus
22-01-2006, 17:26
Hi

I played against the "new Dwarfs" yesterday and the Dwarf player insisted that these shots are "some dwarfy special thing" and can target anything he wants, even units which are engaged in close combat and the "Watch out, Sir!"-rule does not apply.

Sounds rather strange to me, is there any clarification yet what these shots count as?

If there is nothing in the Description of the Anvil or the missiles, they certainly can neither interfere with h-t-h nor can they target anything they want. Both these rules must be specifically addressed to not apply anymore.

Greetings
Festus

Quin 242
22-01-2006, 18:15

you sir, were mugged.. There is no indication of normal rules not applied. But it specifically says that CANNOT target characters unless they or thier mounts are large targets. Page 31 AB:D.

It says that the earth vents steam and sulpher and they count as magical attacks. Still not a spell so can't be dispelled but hope that helps?

gukal
22-01-2006, 18:26
The targeting of that rune is expressly described in the text of the Dwarf book. Basically, as I recall, the targeting is very liberal.

By memory, I would paraphrase the rule as: any unengaged unit on the table except it may not target independent characters unless they are also Large Targets.

So the rune still cannot intefere with an existing combat and can't snipe most characters.

- Gukal

Ganymede
22-01-2006, 18:32
Can the rune target things which count as independent characters for certain purposes? Things like doomseekers, banshees, and weapon teams?

sigur
22-01-2006, 18:40
Thanks for the replies so far guys.;)

Festus
22-01-2006, 19:47
Hi

Can the rune target things which count as independent characters for certain purposes? Things like doomseekers, banshees, and weapon teams?
Those are all considered characters AFA their targetting is concerned: Each of those units has this in the unit's description and special rules.

So *NO*, they can not be targetted then.

Greetings
Festus

Tarax
23-01-2006, 14:13
In short:

-Targets UNengaged units
-Can only target Characters if they or their mount is Large
-Distributed like (normal) Shooting

Captain_Wolverine
24-01-2006, 18:32
heres a question doomseekers can they be used in a normal dwarf army

Festus
24-01-2006, 19:09
Hi

heres a question doomseekers can they be used in a normal dwarf army
No, Doomseekers are only in the SoC Slayers list, they do not belong into a normal Dwarf Army

Greetings
Festus

PS as a friendly reminder: YOu will probably get more answers if you don't hijack a tread but start your own...

Captain_Wolverine
24-01-2006, 20:07
I am newbie I needed too Highjack one until I can sart new threads myself.
Why can't a doomseeker be used in a Normal dwarf army.
If you take them as a specail or rare choice and have a slayer unit. You can take the goblinhewer, and the special characters

Gratnuk Ironfist
26-01-2006, 17:21
I am newbie I needed too Highjack one until I can sart new threads myself.
Why can't a doomseeker be used in a Normal dwarf army.
If you take them as a specail or rare choice and have a slayer unit. You can take the goblinhewer, and the special characters

A GH is a dogs of war unit and takes up a rare and a hero slot in a normal dwarf army, that is why he can be used in a normal dwarf army as a DoW unit. The doomseekers are not therefore can only be used in a slayer army.

Anything else?

(Well done on picking the best army ever. GO DWARFS:p )

Captain_Wolverine
28-01-2006, 18:43
Thankyou for the help, I think a house rule is needed then!!!
I have done dwarfs for 14 years now just restarting them with these new rules

Festus
28-01-2006, 19:13
Hi

Thankyou for the help, I think a house rule is needed then!!!

I strongly suggest on *not* taking Doomseekers in a Dwarf Army, not even as a house rule. They are one of the most broken units in all of WHFB, if there ever was one - and there ase some...

They are needed in a Slayer's army, and absolutely unbalancing in a Dwarven one.

Greetings
Festus

Gratnuk Ironfist
29-01-2006, 00:12
They are needed in a Slayer's army, and absolutely unbalancing in a Dwarven one.

Aye, leave doomseekers in their proper list and use something else, what armies do you face that you think you need them in a normal dwarf army?

Captain_Wolverine
29-01-2006, 13:30
Will never need them I just love the models. I have no real need for them I just love them

Gratnuk Ironfist
04-02-2006, 06:16
Yeah they are pretty cool and a hell of a lot easier to put together than the GH.:)

Mouldsta
05-02-2006, 12:15
If you just want them for the models, use them as a daemon/dragon slayer then

Captain_Wolverine
07-02-2006, 18:18
as well as the rules i like them as a whole