PDA

View Full Version : need your help

skavenguy13
16-05-2005, 22:54
Ok guys, I need your help. Unfortunately, this only applies to people who go at high scholls and have their notes in %ages.

Anyway, for my math project, I have to ask some questions to random people. These are the 2 questions to be answered. Please only write a clear answer.

1: How much time (in minuts) do you spend time at your computer each day. This is in average and everything counts: Portent, video games, doing some research...

2: What is your average at school? Simple as that. Must be in % though.

Please don't say stupid things, it's at least a bit serious (but it won't be due to me doing stupid conclusions with the results :D :p ).

Sojourner
16-05-2005, 23:09
Asking portenters isn't random...

skavenguy13
17-05-2005, 00:36
Asking portenters isn't random...

Maybe not, but it's still the random musings :p

Anyway, could you at least ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION??? :mad: :mad:
instead of just saying a comment.

The Phoenix
17-05-2005, 05:05
I'm no longer in high school, and didn't recieve my average as a percent when I was. But, as a math major, I feel obliged to point something out, since this is a math project.

Asking people, on an internet site, is going to give you extremely skewed data, since it is MUCH more likely that anyone reading this spends a fair ammount of time on the computer.

I'm sure you don't care, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Prehaps you could just ask 20-30 random people (you don't know) at lunch? Since everyone at your high school has to eat at some point, you'll get a better sample that way. And asking people you don't know makes it more likely that they'll have different interests and intelects, as it's likely that people you hang out with would all give more similar answers than a random sample.

Good luck. :)

-Phoenix

skavenguy13
18-05-2005, 03:07
Well, it's just as random as in school because all the people I talk to, I often chat with them, they all like computers :p. And I know the nubers I get won't be that good, but I only need realistic numbers as the objective is to be able to do every kind of statistic we learn (like calculating the regression line, R and Z, median, and more. Also, in my conlcluion I have to say if it was biaised or not and why.

come on people, just answer the 2 questions!!! it's not that hard!

The Phoenix
18-05-2005, 03:09
Well, it's just as random as in school because all the people I talk to, I often chat with them, they all like computers
Prehaps you could just ask 20-30 random people (you don't know) at lunch? Since everyone at your high school has to eat at some point, you'll get a better sample that way. And asking people you don't know makes it more likely that they'll have different interests and intelects, as it's likely that people you hang out with would all give more similar answers than a random sample.
I stand by what I already said.

-Phoenix

tzeentchgiant
18-05-2005, 09:05
I maybe spend 12 hours a week on my computer, so that's about 7.12% of my week

I am age 16 and currently am at school.

Just incase you have to show where relative data came from.

Good Luck, although as previously stated this is a bit of a bias area to ask on, maybe a cafe would be better, not with your friends.

TG

skavenguy13
18-05-2005, 22:47
I meant your average at school as in:
I got 90% in math, 70% in science and 80% in chemistry, so my average is 80%
Anyway, thanks for at least giving me numbers :D

@Phoenix: well, I'm busy ALL THE TIME when I'm in school and really don't have time and have asked most people I know. But I really need as most data as possible.

N'bel
18-05-2005, 22:57
i spend probably 21 hours a week on my computer and my average is about 85%

skavenguy13
19-05-2005, 23:37
Thanks N'Bel

anyone else :confused:

ahhhhhhh smileys back :) :evilgrin:

skavenguy13
21-05-2005, 14:06
anyone else :confused:

Like he said :p