PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Fellowship and Cavetroll!

Fette_Krieger
16-05-2005, 23:11
The Fellowship:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tommioja/kuvat/lotr/MM1.jpg

Frodo, Sam, Gimli and Aragorn closeup:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tommioja/kuvat/lotr/MM2.jpg

Gandalf, Boromir, Legolas, Merry and Pippin:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tommioja/kuvat/lotr/MM3.jpg

Plastic cave troll:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tommioja/kuvat/lotr/MM4.jpg

Troll in frames:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tommioja/kuvat/lotr/MM5.jpg

Gandalf and his cart:
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~tommioja/kuvat/lotr/newgandalf.jpg

Messiah
16-05-2005, 23:25
Wow, thanks!

Where will you get Gandalf and cart from?

He Who Laughs
17-05-2005, 02:11
Placcy troll!! Woohooo! Now I can do the Warriors of Far Harad Army I was planning (the Warriors of Far Harad are big, black and troll-like) without breaking the budget!!

Mind you, I can't see Sam's cooking pot staying on for too long, looks very flimsy. Didn't GW learn with the plastic horses that weak joints WILL break often?

Brandir
17-05-2005, 07:40
Do we really need another crap model of Legolas firing his bow?

rkunisch
17-05-2005, 10:43
Well, well, well. They choose wisely for the poses of this minis. I really like Sam with his cooking pan. Gimli with two axes is nice as well. I think the new boxed set will be worth the investment - the more if the Gandalf on cart will be part of it. :eek:

Have fun,

Rolf.

Shadowheart
17-05-2005, 16:26
I'll be interested to see how good the faces look when I get the miniatures, but overal this plastic Fellowship looks better than I thought it would. Part of that is the poses, we've been lacking a fighting Boromir and two-axe Gimli for too long (and the other poses are pretty cool too).

I'm less convinced by the Cave Troll, looks a bit blocky and plastic to me. I'm glad we've got the metal versions, in any case. This is a great set for newbies since they get some of the cool stuff right away, but characters in plastic just doesn't feel right to me.

Oh and as a Gandalf fan, I love the cart, I can only hope they'll be doing more non-combat stuff like this.

Pertinax
17-05-2005, 19:10
I've seen these at the LOTR GT. When they were painted, I think they looked as good, if not better than the original metal fellowship.

I think that they are awesome.

boogle
17-05-2005, 22:41
Sam and Gimli are wonderful, seems like they cocked up again with Aragorn (like they do with every other sculpt of him), Gandalf and Legolas look cool the other hobbits and Boromir are OK, love the Cave Troll and the cart is awesome

just wonder if BGIME will continue to allow for these sprues to be released

Brandir
17-05-2005, 23:38
It would be nice for a plastic Cave Troll to be in one of the BGinME mags.

He Who Laughs
18-05-2005, 02:57
It would be nice for a plastic Cave Troll to be in one of the BGinME mags.

Yes, that would be cool - but going on how the mag usually works, they'd cut the sprue up and spread the pieces over 6 months worth of issues :p

The Judge
18-05-2005, 19:00
I'm not a fan of Boromir, and none of the Legolas' are going to be that great after the Helm's Deep set, but neh. Aragorn isn't as bad as some of the metals, which is good.

Baggers
18-05-2005, 22:21
Na I don't really like them, I perfer the metal fellowship. Of course I still will buy them.

Brandir
19-05-2005, 07:24
And so will I; being a sad Tolkien fan boy can be expensive sometimes.

40 or so just for a new model of Samwise, Gimli and Aragorn!

Messiah
19-05-2005, 08:20
Bah! I for one would like to say that they are all great. (though of them all, Gimli is not so great..)

erion
20-05-2005, 13:19
I personally am more interested in finding out exactly what terrain is going to be included in the box.

Baggers
21-05-2005, 21:52
I have heard it being pointed at that you will get the Plastic ruins sprues several times as well as something to represent Balins Tomb, and maybe the raised areas that Legolas makes his attacks on the Cave Troll from in the film.

Lady Bastet
06-06-2005, 19:36
How the bloody hell with Gandalf on a Cart recover the money spent on developing it?

I mean I thought the idea of plastic was that it cost a lot more to design the models initially but were sufficiently in demand that Games Workshop would regain the money spent.

Did they lie about how much it costs to develop plastics? or does everyone but me really want Gandalf on a Cart no matter the price?

Misfratz
06-06-2005, 21:17
Did they lie about how much it costs to develop plastics? or does everyone but me really want Gandalf on a Cart no matter the price?You're right it doesn't make much sense. Is it possible that the Gandalf on a cart is a resin master model of what will be a metal model? Seems morelikely to me.

Brandir
06-06-2005, 21:31
Aye, I doubt that Gandalf's cart will be plastic.

But I have been wrong in the past ....................

Messiah
06-06-2005, 22:25
I mean I thought the idea of plastic was that it cost a lot more to design the models initially but were sufficiently in demand that Games Workshop would regain the money spent.

I believe the initial cost mentioned was the cost to develop the plastic itself, not the models..

Lady Bastet
07-06-2005, 03:14
I believe the initial cost mentioned was the cost to develop the plastic itself, not the models..
That was what I was referring to- hence why most plastic models are core units which will reclaim the development costs.

Games Workshop has recently made what I feel are bad choices with their Warhammer plastics range. As nice as the idea of a plastic Fellowship is- most of the people who planned to buy it purchased the metal Fellowship so years ago!

Games Workshop also has a terrible history of metal to plastic conversion- where the plastic models frequently end up costing as much as the metal one.

rkunisch
07-06-2005, 14:57
Nevertheless the new poses look very interesting. I think I have all variations of the members of the Fellowship to date and I certainly will get this variant. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.