PDA

View Full Version : Do you think a SAD list is viable with new Skaven?

Holesto
02-11-2009, 15:29
I always loved the idea of the Skaven Army of Doom. I decided to wait until the new book came out to start my army and was wondering if the SAD list is even still possible with the new rules and models. Post your SAD lists here and let's see what we come up with!

Malorian
02-11-2009, 15:32
I always loved the idea of the Skaven Army of Doom.

That's because you never played against it...

Fenrir
02-11-2009, 15:36

Blimey, give the boy a chance before leaping onto him.

N810
02-11-2009, 15:37
Not only viable but it will most likely be one of the dominant builds. :(

(just make a list where almost every unit has a ranged attack)

Witchblade
02-11-2009, 15:49
Skaven rules/tactics thread #27 despite the rule book not being released yet.

Skyth
02-11-2009, 17:00
But the rule book is available

Nathangonmad
02-11-2009, 17:03

My vampires love playing SADs, they normally take ratling guns/jezzials. I LOVE THIS. Seriously i'm not trolling its much better than fighting against warp fire throwers, there so horrible.

Malorian
02-11-2009, 18:47
My vampires love playing SADs, they normally take ratling guns/jezzials. I LOVE THIS. Seriously i'm not trolling its much better than fighting against warp fire throwers, there so horrible.

Hmmm lets see:

-wraiths killed off by magical shooting
-knights killed by high powered shooting
-then skaven kill as much as you raise through shooting and stall with cheap slaves to get an easy minor victory

Once VC lose their hammer units things get very tough...

sulla
03-11-2009, 04:40
VC don't need those hammer units vs skaven. They are safer off with massed infantry and the corpse carts. Skaven have nothing to beat massed infantry and even a good skaven assault will only win by a handful of combat res.

Slicktober
03-11-2009, 04:47
SAD is viable, but in all honesty, they have lost the "D" - there's hardly any doom left in the Skaven shooting.

Sure it can still have an impact, but Skaven gunlines won't be dominating anyone any more than Empire ones.

Everything ranged in the book bar Warpfire Throwers got toned down quite a lot. Warp Lightning now only does 1d6 hits instead of 2d6, and the casters actually cost more kitted out. Jezzails lose Skirmish, making them easier to shoot at and harder to manoeuvre. Ratling Guns roll to hit (and are, in my opinion, not worth 55 points...). Warp Lightning Cannons are now super-random cannon/stone thrower hybrids. Definitely not worth it.

I think Malorian is well off when he says that Vampires will be threatened by Skaven shooting... I don't think the new Skaven shooting can cause enough harm for its points to not be Fear/Terror-ed off of the battlefield in short order. I really don't see what shooting Skaven have to deal with Wraiths... the Plague Catapult maybe? The Doomrocket? Everything but Warp Fire Throwers has to roll to hit... Not the best for firing at skirmishers with 12-20" charge ranges...

So you can make your shooty army, but you'll have to supply your own doom.

scarvet
03-11-2009, 10:05
Malorian is saying VC dont have much shooting defense.

The new ratling gun may need to roll to hit, but it remains cheap. Not to mention there is no more main stay units means you can have a mix between Stormvermin and clanrats for some decent cc.

fubukii
03-11-2009, 12:31
the ratling gun is not cheap 55 pts for a 1 wound model is hardly cost effecitve

Nathangonmad
03-11-2009, 15:22
Hmmm lets see:

-wraiths killed off by magical shooting
-knights killed by high powered shooting
-then skaven kill as much as you raise through shooting and stall with cheap slaves to get an easy minor victory

Once VC lose their hammer units things get very tough...

You see what I normally do is play more defensivly with wraiths, your correct about the knights getting nailed but meh...What can you do? Its better than a 20man GG unit with a wight king with bsb getting toasted by 2 warp fire throwers isn't it :P

Paraelix
03-11-2009, 21:33
Skaven aren't exactly brave. Start off a few fear/terror tests and the "Army of Doom" with lots of NON-RANKED Skaven will all nick off.

Dr.Mercury
04-11-2009, 02:40
I got to see the ratling gun perform (if you can call it that) on Sunday.
Rolling to hit spells it's doom.
The skaven player consistently rolled 10+ shots, and only managed to inflict 3 casualties against a dwarf player over 5 turns.
Sad

fubukii
04-11-2009, 03:00
skaven are now a combat horde army that should be supplemented with magic and shooting.

SKaven shooting will not dominate, nor will a magic gunline..

Axis
04-11-2009, 03:25
Skaven shooting reminds me a lot of lizardmen shooting in someways, it is really good but it isn't the right type to gunline with . Just as there are more effective ways to play lizardmen then gunline so i think there are better ways to play skaven.