PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick A Chapter

Ph4lanx
02-11-2009, 22:08
OK, I've been building my army for the last few months and finally am quite literally one model away from starting to paint it all.

During that time, I originally wanted to do Eagle Warriors, but as I have come to research Space Marines more, I find myself drawn towards other options, and the problem is I actually quite like all of them, both in terms of how they look, and also their backgrounds, so I need some help.

Do I stick with Eagle Warriors, or do I go for one of the following?

The chapters in question are:

Eagle Warriors (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Eagle_Warriors)
Dark Hunters (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Hunters)
Iron Fists (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Iron_Fists)
Night Watch (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Watch#cite_ref-CSM5-p30_1-0)
Death Strike (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Strike)

As you can see, a bit of a mix there. Eagle Warriors aren't a totally new chapter, and yet I seem to be drawn to the more "newborn" chapters that surround the Halo Stars in the current codex.

My main thought is to have something out of the ordinary, that stands out both on the table and in terms of fluff.

HELP!

AUDIOSURF
02-11-2009, 22:10
Dark Hunters for sure.

They're absolutely hardcore, but they still get to rock Ultramarines blue.

Urath
02-11-2009, 22:11
Hmm; I really like the 'Iron Fists' colour scheme; but I none of the others take my fancy. Personally, if I were going to pick a lesser known/used Chapter, then I'd use the Executioners (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Executioners).

Ph4lanx
02-11-2009, 22:13
Urath, I did look at them, but I don't like the idea of a forgiven chapter personally. Oh, and I don't want to go insane doing a colour scheme, hehe. ;)

Urath
02-11-2009, 22:13
Urath, I did look at them, but I don't like the idea of a forgiven chapter personally. Oh, and I don't want to go insane doing a colour scheme, hehe. ;)

Aye, I don't blame you for the colour scheme issue!

AUDIOSURF
02-11-2009, 22:15

Agreed - they look neat until you consider painting 2,000+ points of them.

Durath
02-11-2009, 22:23
Bah... Iron Fists look like Iron Warriors.

Night Watch is my vote.

Red Beard
02-11-2009, 22:24
I voted Dark Hunters. Grim, resolute warriors...sounds good to me. Never seen Dark Hunters being played either. I think that is your best bet. I cant help but think their chapter master/company captains carry a huge battle axe (relic blade ;)) because of their chapter symbol.

I would have went with the eagle warriors but white is a pain in the :eek: and to paint up a large force of them would take a looong time.

Creeping Dementia
02-11-2009, 22:27
I picked Iron Fists, just for the color scheme. I think too many players, especially Chaos and Marine players, pick colors that are just too dark. In the end they look barely different on the tabletop. I guess thats why my Tau are a pale yellow, and my Sisters are mostly white (with dark blue robes and yellow trim). Lighter colors get more notice and you can actually see all the detail you work so hard on.

Depends on how easy you want the painting to be though, light colors are tough.

Imperius
02-11-2009, 22:31
I really like the Iron Fists look.

Ph4lanx
02-11-2009, 22:34
I can handle the white, for example on the Eagle Warriors. I'm happy to paint any of the armies I've listed here without hesitation. Just can't decide which of them I like the most. I've been tearing my hair out over this for well over a week now :)

Melchiah
02-11-2009, 22:39
I voted for the Dark Hunters, but their not a chapter that I would pick for myself.

Ph4lanx
02-11-2009, 22:53
Well the feedback so far is quite surprising actually, but keep it coming. Thanks so far guys. Hopefully I'll have an answer in a day or two :)

Hushrong
02-11-2009, 23:00
Out of those you had, i went with Iron Fists as i liked them best.

however, i would try Flame Falcons, their paint scheme isnt established BUT they can immolate which could make for some nice green-stuff art and have an army that people will talk about.

Nezalhualixtlan
03-11-2009, 00:04
I like the Iron Hands color scheme a lot and the idea behind them, but if you are looking for something more "out of the ordinary" then I'd suggest the Night Watch which is what I voted for, they have a very cool color scheme too and are less popular then the Iron Hands which would make them a good deal more rare.

First Captain
03-11-2009, 01:17
I also voted for the Dark Hunters, I really like their colour scheme. Having a axe as the chapter symbol is pretty nice too. :)

laudarkul
03-11-2009, 09:28
Go for Eagle Warriors. A nice and easy to paint color scheme and a a nice looking on the battlefield.

Gav2k
03-11-2009, 09:37
I voted Death Strike - best colourscheme in my opinion, looks easy to paint and would look impressive with a squad or a lone model!

However, all the options have their merits. My second choice would have been Eagle Warriors (again, for the cool colourscheme)

Ph4lanx
03-11-2009, 11:23
I think my problem with a couple of them now is how to show company and squad marking, for example on Eagle Warriors. But I thought perhaps colouring the tactical marking to show the company (ie. a Yellow Arrow for 2nd company), but I'm not sure on squad. Perhaps a numeral on the leg?

laudarkul
03-11-2009, 11:53
Use the UM style of markings for Eagle Warriors since they are descendants of Ultramarines.

Ph4lanx
03-11-2009, 12:01
Oh yeah I was just giving an example. Still working on that shortlist up top :) Thanks for the votes so far guys and the comments.

Vesica
03-11-2009, 13:09
Iron Fists look pretty damn good.

Might have to make a small force myself now i've seen them =p

qwertywraith
03-11-2009, 14:42
Eagle Warriors.

The other choices, if you put them on the table before me I would think, "oh just another dark marine army". Eagle Warriors actually stand out with the white and blue bisected scheme. It's always impressive to see bisected schemes, and light colours stand out.

Threeshades
03-11-2009, 14:51
Iron Fists. They're shiny. And there aren't too many shiny marines out there.

NightrawenII
03-11-2009, 14:52
Ok. there is my take, roll d6:
1 - Eagle Warriors
2 - Dark Hunters
3 - Iron Fists
4 - Night Watch
5 - Death Strike
6 - roll again

Fast and Simple.

Gekiganger
03-11-2009, 15:01
Dark Hunters. They have an axe on their shoulder.

Forgotmytea
03-11-2009, 16:07
My vote goes for the Night Watch. The background just appeals to me so much :)

Redstormrisen
03-11-2009, 16:22
SPACE SHARKS.

The answer is always SPACE SHARKS.

Ph4lanx
03-11-2009, 16:43
NightrawenII: Good idea, but the problem is I won't settle on a decision lol. It takes a lot of willpower to accept the fate of the dice-gods. I think I'm going to have to sit down and study each of the chapters listed a bit more.

Redstormrisen: They're an answer. Not necessarily always the RIGHT one, but an answer nonetheless ;)

Thud
03-11-2009, 16:54
Of the ones you have listed, I would go with either Dark Hunters or Night Watch.

However, I'd like to suggest Marines Malevolent. If I ever get a Marine army, I'll be going with them, no contest.

Ph4lanx
03-11-2009, 17:55
I did consider them Thud, but I don't like the idea of them thinking they are better than another human.