PDA

View Full Version : DIY Eldar Craftworld issue

Gadicitus
23-01-2006, 08:49
I was thinking about making a combat patrol of Eldar. I'm thinking of going heavily DIY - Cold-Ones instead of Jetbikes, Harlequin Jetbike Canopies, etc.

But I thought about something - how would you guys think of me using one of the various craftworld army lists with my 'custom' craftworld? I.e. if I had the models, Saim Hann one week, Iyanden next week, etc.

Personally I don't see the problem, because it's no different to a DIY Marine chapter using say, Blood Angels rules - but I thought I'd get a bit of input.

Cadian 21st
23-01-2006, 08:56
DIY??? Whasimawhosit?

Eulenspiegel
23-01-2006, 09:51
But I thought about something - how would you guys think of me using one of the various craftworld army lists with my 'custom' craftworld? I.e. if I had the models, Saim Hann one week, Iyanden next week, etc.
If I were in your gaming group, I wouldnīt like it at all.
Itīs awfully hard to remember "what counts as what" in that particular battle.

Substitutions are ok for one-off battles, if you proxy stuff to try it out before buying it.
or
You do what you first wanted to do, build an Eldar Craftworld army with heavily converted models and stick to it.

Sybaronde
23-01-2006, 09:58
I was thinking about making a combat patrol of Eldar. I'm thinking of going heavily DIY - Cold-Ones instead of Jetbikes, Harlequin Jetbike Canopies, etc.

Seeing as I'm going to do something similar when the new rangers come out, I wouldn't say it's that bad, but I would try to stick to one CW as much as possible. Perhaps 5 games per craftworld before switching, so you get to see how you like the config.

bonjordo
23-01-2006, 10:34
So long as there is a theme to it, i mean, having your Jetbikers on cold ones. you could have it as a forgotten eldar maiden world, And elaborate on the primal esque theme.

Gadicitus
23-01-2006, 11:03
I didn't mean proxying models - I meant having all the correct models, but having them all painted in my craftworld's colors.

Imagine having enough Jetbikes for Saim Hann Wildriders, and enough Wraithguard for an Iyanden Spirit Host - sometimes using them in 'pure' craftworld lists, sometimes in a vanilla eldar list, but all with the same color scheme.

Eulenspiegel
23-01-2006, 11:17
Ah.

Still I would tolerate but not like it. It seems too much like picking the perfect army for each opponent.

Gadicitus
23-01-2006, 11:21
Hmmm.. I see what you mean. So I guess I'd have two options:

Vanilla
A Single, Specific Craftworld

Inquisitor Kallus
23-01-2006, 12:20
An argument could be made that you are using different facets of a 'total' Eldar army. For example, using Epic as an example, the Biel-Tan list has the option of taking a pure Guardian (with a Farseer) warhost. Although this breaks from the 40k 'tournament' style restrictions for a Biel-Tan list, as Guardians are counted as elites.....it is still feasible as a background style army (fluffy). You could say tht your cold ones (jetbikes) represent a raiding/scout force and so on, different 'segments' of a larger army. Another game you could have an almost entirley on foot army, mbe defenders of a settlement, etc etc. This way you could develop a large background and have some amazing linked games, which are always much more fun than stand alone ones. If your opponent thinks its ok, go for it, i for one would enjoy playing against you as long as youre not just using different lists in order to power game. And one last thing, because the forces are so small your opponent could do the sam thing, having different patrols, if his model collection allows,.........patrolling sentinels with light infantry supporting them, or a firebase of guardsman defending a research station/hab-units etc if they were using guard.

Deadite
23-01-2006, 14:46
Hmmm.. I see what you mean. So I guess I'd have two options:

Vanilla
A Single, Specific Craftworld

As long as you amend that to "A Single, Specific Craftworld that I can decide at my leisure".

Just discuss it with your gaming group. If you want to use Iyanden one week and Alaitoc the next, who's to stop you? Some ****** on an internet forum from half a world away? No.

I plan to do the same thing as you. Do It Yourself (DIY - for Cadian 21st) Craftworld in any style I choose for the game/tournament.

Is it tailoring your list to meet your opponent? Only if you know exactly what your opponent will take and you purposefully design your army to take it out (craftworld makes little difference). Knowing your opponent will take marines, is not the same as knowing your opponent will take a specific army list (all mechanized one week, all troops the next, maxed assault cannons, maxed assault units, etc). DIY marine chapters can change on a whim, why shouldn't DIY Eldar?

Keravin
23-01-2006, 15:27
The Eldar books clearly state you can switch the focus between the Craftworlds even when using a different Craftworld.

That said my Eldar are Ulthwe as I prefer that list and can use Strike Force anyway. The only list I would be interesting in trying otherwise is Sam Haim.

Orbital
23-01-2006, 15:28
As an Eldar player whose primary army is painted in a non-specific scheme (not identifiable as any particular Craftworld), this is something I've given some thought to.

I keep trying to see both sides of the issue, but the truth is I think you just gotta play whatever Craftworld you like in whatever paint scheme you prefer. I realize it gives some folks a certain amount of psychological discomfort to see Ulthwe played in anything other than black, or Alaitoc in anything other than blue, but the truth is... that's their problem. Your Eldar army was paid for by you, assembled by you, painted by you. As long as you stay within the rules and field fair lists, no-one has the right to give you any grief about what you do.

Orbital
23-01-2006, 15:30
That said my Eldar are Ulthwe as I prefer that list and can use Strike Force anyway.

Go USF!

*fist pumping in the air

Eulenspiegel
23-01-2006, 16:31
Just discuss it with your gaming group. If you want to use Iyanden one week and Alaitoc the next, who's to stop you? Some ****** on an internet forum from half a world away? No.
I take that personally.
Gadicitus asked for opinions, and I gave mine.

This forum is for discussion, and no you donīt have to do what I say, but neither do I have to take every ***** someone throws at me just because he can make up in his next post and say "I didnīt mean it like that".

Grimpeeper
23-01-2006, 17:02
I think the idea of having your own craftworld that can be tailored to fit different army lists is a great idea. Long ago I was thinking of doing the same thing with marines... not so I could pick and choose my army list based upon my opponents army, but my mood for the day. It is a good way to maximize your miniatures.

I think the people that are uncomfortable with the OP's ideas are scared that he will bring all his minis to the table and see what he is up against before deciding what units he's going to take or what list he's going to use. I think that would be a pretty cheesy/beardy/crappy thing to do.

Deadite
23-01-2006, 17:17
I take that personally.

If you insist. Though, me thinks you doth protest too much. We're all "some ****** on an internet forum".
:rolleyes:

Eulenspiegel
23-01-2006, 17:25
Mom says Iīm not a *****.

Hideous Loon
23-01-2006, 19:34
If you want to use Iyanden one week and Alaitoc the next, who's to stop you? Some ****** on an internet forum from half a world away?

If I didn't already have a quote in my sig, this'd be there. Hilarious.

I agree with him, if your gaming group thinks it's okay, then by all means, go ahead. Since a 40k battle only (at least I think so) is a fragment of a larger battle, then who's to say that your army doesn't fit the fluff?

Xander-K
23-01-2006, 19:42
Deadite, you may not mind being called a *****, or calling everyone a *****, but don't say it as if everyone should be cool with it or they are "overreacting" its not exactly the most respectful term you could have used, and I don't agree that we are ALL ******, esp. Eulenspiegal he's lovely.

Deadite
23-01-2006, 20:55
Deadite, you may not mind being called a *****, or calling everyone a *****, but don't say it as if everyone should be cool with it or they are "overreacting" its not exactly the most respectful term you could have used, and I don't agree that we are ALL ******, esp. Eulenspiegal he's lovely.

Whatever dude. You either get it or you don't. If you're really upset about it and you feel I've attacked you personally, report it. It's what the esclamation point button is there for.

If you guys want to continue to shoot yourselves in the foot with this dialogue, by all means. :rolleyes:

Exarch
24-01-2006, 00:27
I didn't mean proxying models - I meant having all the correct models, but having them all painted in my craftworld's colors.

Imagine having enough Jetbikes for Saim Hann Wildriders, and enough Wraithguard for an Iyanden Spirit Host - sometimes using them in 'pure' craftworld lists, sometimes in a vanilla eldar list, but all with the same color scheme.

That's what I do. I have a Biel-tan army and an Ulthwe strike force painted in
my craftworld's colors. Nowhere does it say that you can't. To be courteous to
my opponent I tell him which list I'm using.
Btw, both of those armies fielded together in a 4,000 pt. match absolutely rocks!