PDA

View Full Version : Shooty Armies.

Ivellis
03-11-2009, 09:49
It seems that shooty armies in WFB are few and far between at the moment, but I'm usually a CC kind of guy, since I've wanted to mix it up lately I want to try a shooty army.

What armies besides Dwarfs make good shooting armies? (I don't like the static-ness of the Dwarfs.)

I don't mean every single one of my units has to shoot I just want it to be a good option.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
03-11-2009, 09:57
I always thought a dark elf magic gunline was pretty nifty myself. Problem with shooty in fantasy battles is that given the nature of units, terrain and anything else that would encourage shooters to move is not too relevant to the game except as places to avoid or places to linger (depending on who you play).

Doomseer
03-11-2009, 10:05
Tzeentch Daemons are shooty at medium/close range. Flamers are well known but all the other Tzeentch units can be given gifts/spells to make them shooty.

Wood Elves can be configured into a very impressive Bowline.

Lizardmen at close range? Skinks with Blowpipes, Razordons, Ancient Stegadons with Giant Blowpipes, Magic Missiles etc.

larabic
03-11-2009, 10:49
Hate all shooting armies in Fantasy, makes me think i am playing 40k :cries:

uberbleed
03-11-2009, 10:59
yeah woodelves maybe fragile but you wont get them in cqc without alotta casualties there glade guards can be taken in scout/skirmishing units(as long as you dont have more scouts then standard glade units) they don't have a move and shoot penalty or long shot penalty. Imo waywatchers are one of the leetest units in the game with kb at half range and the ability to shoot through 6 inches of terrain so put them behind a building and they headshot through both the windows

Turnabout
03-11-2009, 11:07
No one's mentioned Empire yet:p

The quintessential mass shooting army right?
Or at least, we used to be.

Being an Empire loyalist though, it's hard to go past the sheer punch of Cannons and masses upon masses of handguns and crossbows which usually make up an Empire gunline.
Not to mention all the fancy toys like the Helblaster, Helstorm, magic missiles and even pidgeon bombs if that's your thing.

I'm not really sure how competetive it is, or how fun. It's not really the way I play Empire.

edit: Oh yeah, and if you just want shooting as an accompaniement rather than the main event, Empire's got you covered for almost all other areas.

narrativium
03-11-2009, 11:08
Imo waywatchers are one of the leetest units in the game with the ability to shoot through 6 inches of terrain so put them behind a building and they headshot through both the windows Someone's been lying to you about what their waywatchers can do. Their rules don't include any special line of sight powers.

Rupposed
03-11-2009, 11:09
This was just talked amongst a local gaming group. Final decision was on a savage orc army. Spear chukkas, rock lobbas, a doomdiver, and a bunch of savage orcs with bows. They're high toughness, move-and-shoot capable, they can hold their own in most combats, and still fairly cheap.

Granted, not my first pick for a tournament list, but it would be a fun army to play both as and against.

nieto666
03-11-2009, 11:13
Wood elves can shoot very well and move while their doing it without any negs. There is a dirty trick you can do with a Highborn, Make em alter kindred, give em the bow of athel loren and Arcane bodkin. Know as the gatling gun because of his 5 shots and knight killer because no armour saves are allowed against arcane bodkin.

Dark Elves can poor buckets of shots onto anything causeing massive damage, not to inlude Reaper bolt throwers can either fire one massive bolt or 6 smaller ones.

High Elves have longs bows that are not nearly effective as either of their kins shooting. However they do have Repeater bolt throwers that do the same exact thing as Reaper bolt throwers.

Empire, shooting is kinda like dwarves but can have psitoliers, Cav units with pitols that can be highly annoying to your oppenant if ignored, and outriders who have repeating rifles. Also Empire can have a archer unit that scouts.

Elves are by far the best shooting armies in the game, with dwarves and empire following up. Guess it kinda depends on your taste. See I luv the shooting phase, which you can really tell by the armies I play, Dark Elves, Wood Elves and Empire.

The Anarchist
03-11-2009, 11:39
I play wood elves and they play a very different but supremely good 'gunline' go with 4 units of glade gaurd, 4 units of 6 glade riders, this is about the msot mobile shooting army you can get.

for more conventional gunlines you normally have two choices of gun units or war machine shooting.

Dark elves can put a serious amount shots with repeater X-bows, however the bows struggle against heavy armour and heavy cavalry. though if you go as magic heavy as you can, and take few repeater bolt throwers you will be able to deal with this.

High elves can play as shooting army, though personaly i feel the Dar Elves are better at it, with the exception of magic to agument their shooting. curse of arrow attraction is so anoying!

dwarves and Empire can mount spectacular shooting armies, with dwarves shooting units being better able to take the charge and hold after nailing everything you can with your shooting. however the empire can run two stanks to give their gunline a bit of a charge and punch.

uberbleed
03-11-2009, 11:40
Someone's been lying to you about what their waywatchers can do. Their rules don't include any special line of sight powers.

just had a look through the book and your correct don't know where he got that from the nub-cake.

I was also thinking yeah what about the empire, the orcs even HE + DE have some withering fire. even tombkings led by high queen khalida will impose some doom and the dwarves with there stand and deliver "cos we can't be bothered running that far and all, plus i gotta carry that keg o rum"

warhawk95
03-11-2009, 11:56
WE are good, they do lack the cannons and RBT's but can still shoot well over 50-60 shots a turn, plus their many rules make them have a very large shooting range. DE are very similar being able to mass out multiple shots in a turn and with RBT's they can add the high strenght shots WE lack. Empire are proably on of the top gunline armies, next to dwarves. they have cannons, guns, bows, fast cav with guns so they can definetly have alot of shots a turn and have some devistating cannons to go with it. O&G can also have a good gunline. cheap NG archers and orc archers can have a lot of arrows flying around plus with the spear chukka, doom diver, and rock lobbas. and another army i have yet to see is TK. with their incantations they can easily pump out 100 plus shots and 4 SSC shots a turn, thats alot of shooting.

personally i think the best are proably dwarves and empire but the rest are strong in their own way too.

Enigmatik1
03-11-2009, 12:34
Tomb King shooting is generally underrated, even if I don't like gun lines personally. The BS2 on all missile units is misleading since Tomb King archers suffer no penalties to hit regardless of what you or they do sort of simply not being in LoS at all. The only way to impact their accuracy is to lower their BS.

Queen Khalida makes for a potentially devastating gunline against anything that isn't heavily armored and has a high toughness. That many poisoned shots, as we've seen with Skinks, can spell death for many, many opponents.

ambrosehlbiercemencken
03-11-2009, 14:18
Gnoblar sharpstuffline

the iron king
03-11-2009, 14:47
i thinkt that you can get a nice gunline from the skaven(but i haven't play aginst the new skaven,so...).but i've heard that they are great then the old skaven.
but remember,without a tiny luck you will lose...

theunwantedbeing
03-11-2009, 14:54
Dark elves, High elves, Empire, Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Bretonnians do a surprisingly good job as well.

Dark elves
-Repeater crossbows, much better when static though as they're not then suffering a -2 to hit. Repeater bolt throwers as well, but those are static things. Hydra and dragon breath weapons are movable though.

High elves
-Longbows, couple of decent magical bows. Static bolt throwers. Dragon breath weapons and curse of arrow attration help a lot.

Empire
-handguns, crossbows, war machines, outriders. All static.
Bowmen, pistoliers, Steam tank all can move and fire.

Wood elves
-no move and shoot penalty, lots of longbows, glade guard longbows are very good. No bolt throwers, treemen get strangleroot and you can have a dragon. Bow of loren as well for a character with 4-5 shots usually.

Tomb Kings
-bows normally hit on a 5+ as they ignore modifiers, so you can move them and it doesnt hinder them. Static skull catapults though.

Bretonnians.
-Bowmen dont need to be static, trebuchets do. You can have fast cav as well. Only 1 knight unit is manditory afterall.

So there's a brief rundown of what each army can do.

Johnnyfrej
03-11-2009, 16:33
Hate all shooting armies in Fantasy, makes me think i am playing 40k :cries:
Maybe you should play a CC army in 40k to compensate?

Count Zero
03-11-2009, 16:40
Dark elves can fire so many shots, at decent BS, they even heavy cav isn't immune, the -1as helps a lot sometimes too.

the thing about a Dark ELf shooty army is that you can make it so mobile with units of Dark riders and shades backed up by mages on steeds and pegasus it can be a nightmare for the opponent to actually get you into combat.

20yr_veteran
03-11-2009, 16:45
I would say an empire gunline - not because they are the best shots but because you can put down a silly amount of S4 AP shots add to that the hellfire, cannon, mortar, pistoliers and wild riders along with cheap engineers and mages to back up that fire power and you have a very cheap shooty army

You could even throw in a steam tank (tho i wouldnt do that) - what i would do is lots of hochland long rifles and bye bye characters

Malorian
03-11-2009, 16:50
In gunline vs gunline wood elves come out on top.

I've had battles with my shooty WE list against shooty dwarfs, empire, and dark elves and each time my better range gives me the edge. Not to mention hail of doom takes out hwat ever unit scares me the most.

The Anarchist
03-11-2009, 16:52
what sort of shooty army are you looking for is a question for the OP? as there are two rather more static shootign armies in the form of empire and dwarves and then theres the more mobile shooting forces of all the elves and few others or ones that are unusual tricks like TK.

The Red Scourge
03-11-2009, 16:56
I'd recommend either DE or WE.

Both can play the shooting game in a very fun, mobile and dynamic way. WE are the most interesting of the two, as the army is much more of a 'combined-arms', where you use all aspects of the game to win - while DE easily encourages focus in one aspect or another, and thus can become quite one-dimensional.

Besides DE are a bunch o' emo twits, while wood elves are quite cool - in a murderous xenophobic kind of way :)

The Anarchist
03-11-2009, 18:23
in a murderous xenophobic kind of way :)

some people make that sound like a bad thing, so happy that you didn't

lopezpie
03-11-2009, 22:30
Perhaps a Ogre Kingdoms gun line trappers, lead belchers, scrap launchers, and hunters.

lopezpie
03-11-2009, 22:31
Besides DE are a bunch o' emo twits, while wood elves are quite cool - in a murderous xenophobic kind of way :)

Why else do you think we have enternal hatred we are depressed and hateful to the world very much your typical teenage angst!

artisturn
04-11-2009, 03:03
I play VC and all I have is a bitchy ghost who screams at you.

The Red Scourge
04-11-2009, 05:29
Why else do you think we have enternal hatred we are depressed and hateful to the world very much your typical teenage angst!

And people wonder why, younger gamers are looked down upon :p

alfika
04-11-2009, 06:21
Perhaps a Ogre Kingdoms gun line trappers, lead belchers, scrap launchers, and hunters.

You forgot the maneaters with brace of handguns, but those makes a better place in a DoW armie with several dualist units, crossbows dwarf crossbows add to that hewer and cannon and you get a decent shooting army that also can fight in CC (dwarfs/maneaters and to some extent dualist).

Enigmatik1
04-11-2009, 15:14
I play VC and all I have is a bitchy ghost who screams at you.

Hell hath no fury...;)

BigbyWolf
04-11-2009, 18:00
My vote goes for OnG (mainly because my Greenie-gunline kick ass!), but also because you get a pretty good variety for war machines and Arrer Boyz, while being very basic archers, are great defensive units (due to T4 and a choppa).

They're by no means the top gunline, but if used correctly they are very effective.

If you want a change you could always play the WoC gunline...Kholek, 2 Hellcannons, and marauder horsemen with throwing axes...

nieto666
04-11-2009, 19:06
Dark elves, High elves, Empire, Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Bretonnians do a surprisingly good job as well.

Dark elves
-Repeater crossbows, much better when static though as they're then suffering a -2 to hit. Repeater bolt throwers as well, but those are static things. Hydra and dragon breath weapons are movable though.
High elves
-Longbows, couple of decent magical bows. Static bolt throwers. Dragon breath weapons and curse of arrow attration help a lot.

Empire
-handguns, crossbows, war machines, outriders. All static.
Bowmen, pistoliers, Steam tank all can move and fire.

Wood elves
-no move and shoot penalty, lots of longbows, glade guard longbows are very good. No bolt throwers, treemen get strangleroot and you can have a dragon. Bow of loren as well for a character with 4-5 shots usually.

Tomb Kings
-bows normally hit on a 5+ as they ignore modifiers, so you can move them and it doesnt hinder them. Static skull catapults though.

Bretonnians.
-Bowmen dont need to be static, trebuchets do. You can have fast cav as well. Only 1 knight unit is manditory afterall.

So there's a brief rundown of what each army can do.

There you are mistaken sir, Reaper bolt throwers do not suffer negs for muiltiple shots, as their rules explain

lopezpie
05-11-2009, 17:03
reaper bolt throwers and high elves bolt throwers hands down to me are the best warmachine out there 4 for 2 rare slots bieng able to dish out loads of firepower at -2 off armor or a single nasty bolt great for dragons or what have you.

theunwantedbeing
05-11-2009, 17:07
There you are mistaken sir, Reaper bolt throwers do not suffer negs for muiltiple shots, as their rules explain

It's you that's mistaken.
Although thankyou for highlighting a typo in my original post...seems I missed out an important word in one of those sentences :P

DrinkArizona
07-11-2009, 06:09
It all depends on the armies. Shooting, to be honest, isn't supposed to be the main factor in winning. Dark elf shooting is dangerous because of multi shot at relativley good BS, with armour piercing. It all depends on the army and on the player. I was thinking myself of making an empire gunline with cannons and riflemen. Riflemen are just better then crossbows in my opinion.