PDA

View Full Version : Hellish Vigour + Hand of Dust + VDM

EvC
23-01-2006, 08:17
This evil little ploy for a VC army jumped into my head last night: first, after getting a spellcaster 8" from one of the big enemy nasties (General, Giant, Greater Daemon etc. and preferably out of their charge arc in case it don't work!) and you cast Hellish Vigour or use the Staff of Damnation on him, followed by casting the Hand of Dust. Since he won't be in combat, there's a good chance the enemy will just let these spells go and not even try and dispel them. Then you use as many power dice as you can to cast Vanhel's Danse Macabre and send him into combat; in the combat phase you'd merely need to roll a 4 or 5 with a reroll to auto-kill your opponent- would be very cool if you could get it off!

Anyone ever done that combo, and if so, what's the nastiest nasty that you've killed with it? Hell, has anyone killed anything major simply with the Hand of Dust? I've never even cast it in 20 games with VC...

Kahadras
23-01-2006, 10:55
Used to get a lot of use out of Hand of Dust back in the old armies book. A Vampire lord with it was nails and his unit normaly ended up with a lot of wights in it by the end of the game. The best I ever managed was a Slann, my opponant was not amused. Not got much use out of it in the new ed though as I tend to play as Blood Dragon.

Kahadras

The Black Knight
23-01-2006, 14:20
I think it is a great little trick:p Try that with some wights with halberds(hv and vdm) and watch them roll through people

CarlostheCraven
23-01-2006, 18:54
Well, your opponent would have to be blind or a newb not to see that ploy coming. That said, if parts A and B succeed then do everything in your power to start the dancing.

I rarely use hand of dust, certainly never with a Vampire, and my Necros avoid combat at all costs. In 5th ed, it was more effective, as it would routinely kill a Bloodthirster in one go, the movement and attack was in the magic phase, meaning the BT had no chance to swing back, thus openning up better options in the next turn (as magic was at the end of turn, not before shooting as it is now.)

In 6th ed, I have seen a lvl 1 necro kill a stegadon.

Cheers

fubukii
23-01-2006, 19:42
I used Hand of dust to kill a dragon once.

Keller
23-01-2006, 20:05
I think it is a great little trick:p Try that with some wights with halberds(hv and vdm) and watch them roll through people

Thats one of my favorite tricks. Makes the Banner of the Barrows rather unimportant, though hitting on 3+ w/ rerolls and S5 KB means you can cleave through units even quicker! Thats why I always take halberds on my Guard, though rarely/never the Banner of the Barrows.

DrkAp0stle
24-01-2006, 00:05
As people have said.

I really don't believe that Hand of Dust is really that usable in the current ed.

Most players will be able to tell what you are trying to do and will try to put alot into making sure that it doesn't go through.

But still, if they do fall for it, the best of luck to you.

I still think that if I rolled HoD for a spell, I would rather take the invocation.

-Ap0stle

skavenguy13
24-01-2006, 02:44
If you're making your character charge the monster...

Either you destroy it.
Either you lose your character, let the monster stuck in CC against the rest of the unit.

I think it's a bad idea, unless you an find a way to have a very good chance of hitting (3+ or better). And you're still making an all-or nothing attack.

NakedFisherman
24-01-2006, 03:04
My boss used it on my Ogre Tyrant once. Can't believe he cast it, can't believe he hit with it, and I failed a 5+ rerollable ward save.

EvC
24-01-2006, 20:34
Ouch, that's some bad luck NF!

If you're making your character charge the monster...

Either you destroy it.
Either you lose your character, let the monster stuck in CC against the rest of the unit.

I think it's a bad idea, unless you an find a way to have a very good chance of hitting (3+ or better). And you're still making an all-or nothing attack.

Well that's why in my plan-that-I've-never-pulled-off I'm saying cast Hellish Vigour first. Maybe if you equip a Necromancer with a cloak of mist and shadows in order to avoid come-uppance... would a Hand of Dust attack still work in that case? One would hope so, otherwise it'd be another case of a useless spell to draw (Like a mounted High Elf wizard with "walk between worlds")...