PDA

View Full Version : Codex CSM - When would the next regular update be?

Prokrustes
03-11-2009, 15:57
Now, I know even speaking of the CSM Codex is a very sensible topic, so I want to make clear that I dont want to complain about the codex or start a flame war or a whinge fest with this thread.

Simple question: If GW continues its normal way in updating codices, when would the CSM get a new one? (I dont believe that I will ever see a legion codex but not going off topic here)

Vedar
03-11-2009, 16:12
My guess would be 2012-2013. It seems to be about 5-6 years between them and last one was out 2007. I agree they are not going to do a Legion Codex.

the-skylord
03-11-2009, 16:14
My guess would be 2012-2013. It seems to be about 5-6 years between them and last one was out 2007.

That would make sense.

Bunnahabhain
03-11-2009, 16:19
There is no regular cycle, it depends on too many factors.

Does anybody in the studio want to do it?
Does it make financial sense to do?
Is there a new model range to promote?
Does a new Edition make a new codex essential (applies to main codex loyalist marines only)?
etc
etc

Anarnaxe
03-11-2009, 18:52
I know people do believe that 6 years between updates is a good practise, and it is. However there have been times when Games Workshop has updated a book much sooner then the 6 year mark. Look at when the 3rd edition Chaos Space Marine Codex was released and then look at when the 3.5 version was released. It was 3 years. I'm not saying that thats what going to happen now, I'm merely stating Games Workshop has had occasion to replace a problematic codex relatively quickly. I'm in no way saying the codex will be next year, merely its a possibility (though early 2011 is my guess)

Mannimarco
03-11-2009, 19:13
i reckon we'll be into 6th ed before we see the new chaos codex (which probably wont be Legions)

Urath
03-11-2009, 19:22
i reckon we'll be into 6th ed before we see the new chaos codex (which probably wont be Legions)

I suppose, if we were thinking sensibly, this would make the most sense. Honestly? I can see it being redone after the current/and speculated line up. Perhaps it'll be done, in a similar manner to the current Codex as well as Dark Angels and Eldar, in the form as a 'ready for 6th Edition Codex'.

Vaktathi
03-11-2009, 21:10
going by GW's track record

2E CSM book 1996
3E CSM book 1999
3.5E CSM book 2002/2003
4E CSM book 2007

I'd expect the next one in late 2011 or 2012.

shabbadoo
04-11-2009, 05:34
Apparently it is 2010, second half of the year.

Vandelan
04-11-2009, 06:06

Just in time for me to finish polishing my Black Templars army.

I'd love to be able to have fun with the around 10k points of Chaos that I have.

Argastes
04-11-2009, 06:36

Whoa, is this confirmed?

Avian
04-11-2009, 07:14
The majority of the posts in this thread were off topic and have been removed. Kindly stick to the subject at hand.

- The Moderators

PariahX
04-11-2009, 07:20
Alternatively, maybe OP actually does like the codex, which might not objectively be a '****', but might be subjective in its appeal, like everything else?

What human valuation is not subjective?

Are there values that exist independently of mankind?

No, subjective/objective cannot be used to win arguments anymore.
My subjective perception, independent of yours, has acquired various sensory perception with which it forms a judgement upon the subject (4.0). This judgement is based upon my self-serving needs in relation to a chaos codex. These self-serving needs, unsatisfied by 4.0 in so many diverse ways (I have gone on at length about Icons) therefore lead me to a negative valuation of 4.0 as a whole.

Yes, a subjective one.

But tell me, can any such valuation be "objective"?

If not, why then is the absent absolute seen to actually devalue the value?

Ah, but then it is only my "opinion" and carries less weight. The power of the absolute in the form of "objectivity" is such that it has .... authority ..... among certain minds.

And whether the OP likes 4.0 or not is no skin off my nose ....

hurrrrrrr

Duuuurrrrr ......

Anyway, yes, I'd guess some time around 2012. Long enough so that the internet can grow dearly attached to the 4e codex and throw its collective toys out of the pram when 'Codex:Chaos Legions 7e' gets released.

Dark Eldar need it more, man. You've got to admit that.

Or, GW need to stop supporting them and let them die. They've been in a sort of purgatory/limbo for years .....