PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Necromunda Scenery?

Chem-Dog
23-01-2006, 10:28
My Necromunda Terrain is in dire need of an overhaul, Time and spillages have seen all of my original card floors disintergrate and My bulheads have suffered my idle attentions for various projects over the past decade.

I've got plasticard for the Floors and I'm about to order a whole load of bulkheads form MailOrder, Before I make the order, has anyone got any suggestions for usefull additional bits I can order for Terrain?

Darkseer
23-01-2006, 10:34
You'd be amazed what you can make out of cardboard.

Just spray it black, then lightly spray it brown or silver and bob's your uncle.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/AdamsMiniatures/Necromunda/017ebee1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/AdamsMiniatures/Necromunda/redemptionists1.jpg

It's usually best to spray all the card first, then cut it up and slot and PVA it all together.

Jo Bennett
23-01-2006, 11:50
A couple of the mordheim building sprues might be handy, make some buildings that are a little less obviously designed for game mechanics, and give the idea that someone might actually live in these places. 40k barricade sprues are also handy. I would recommend getting your bulkheads from eBay though, it almost certainly will work out cheaper.

Darkseer
23-01-2006, 12:01
When you're making your scenery think about cover and practicality.

Our games suffered for a while because almost all out scenery gave a -2 cover modifier.

-1 is much better for general play.

Melchor
23-01-2006, 12:05
Have you considered these (http://www.themodelmakersresource.co.uk/prodpages/product-AXRG1010.html)?

Haven't used it personally, but I hear it's quite good.

lord_blackfang
23-01-2006, 12:37
There's a thread about the Platformer kits in P&T. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22617)

Darkseer
23-01-2006, 13:22
Bit pricey though.

I'd want 20 to make it worth my while.

Sai-Lauren
23-01-2006, 14:19
Mounting card, a small amount of imagination and a craft knife can work wonders. ;)

Think of all the new things you can have - ramps, catwalks, doughnut shaped buildings...

Nip down to your local McDodgeys and grab some extra drinking straws for pipes (and some napkins for drying your paint brushes), look through your bits box for useful items - one of my small conversions is the engine plate from a land raider (I glued the doors shut) for one wall, a pallete from the ammo sprue as the foor, some plasticard for the remaining walls, and some odds and ends on the roof as a pumping station. You could scale that up, dismantle some deceased electrical equipment, and make some industrial machinery to have your gangs run around, have some drainpipe as a transit tube, make an air processing plant, mine entrance, sludge pond and so on. Maybe if you're feeling adventurous, try and build your gangs hideout.

Or have a look at some of the necromunda territory sites, and theme a few to them - rather than having a dome battle, lay out some strips of paper (or use the Space Hulk board sections if you have them), and have a tunnel fight. Make a small homestead in the wastes, borrowing from the LoTR hobbit barrow construction ideas, or build a bridge from the toll bridge scenario, complete with toll gates and barricades. Use the corrugated card and some sprue offcuts for corrugated metal fences. Make a rope bridge with some cardboard slats and sewing thread or wire.

Basically, think of all the things you might find in the underhive, write them down and see what you think you can build. Start by making it look good, then batter it, rust it, beat it up and patch it.

The robogear/Hexagon buildings sets aren't bad IMO, although there's a few things they do lack (2-way straight connectors for one). Model railway accessories can be good for some things, same for military model accessories.

Melchor
23-01-2006, 14:33
Also, Terragenesis (http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/) has some nice articles for building necromunda terrain... Worth a look!

bertcom1
23-01-2006, 14:35
If you have patience, then you could do what we have done.

Card and old sprues. Card for walls and floors, with sprues to give strength, and act as columns and so on.

Darkseer
23-01-2006, 15:10
Card for the win!

It's cheap, it's light, it's durable.

Grimshawl
24-01-2006, 16:25
If you are making your own scenery I have found that smaller plastic bottles like individual juice containers or milk, etc sometimes have very interesting shapes, I have made some nice roof duct looking pcs by cutting the top off of such a container, evenly or at a 45 degree angle, glue it to a base I usually leave the cap glued on, primer the whole thing and then paint. dont forget to wash the thing out good first though.

tkkultist
26-01-2006, 14:10
Not the most cost effective but the AWESOME new GW city terrain is gonna be out soon and will be a great boon to many hivers.....

GROFAZ
29-01-2006, 22:20
Just take a walk thru the electrical and plumbing section of your local hardware store and let you imagination run loose. Youd be suprised just what ideas you can come up with looking at pipe fittings.

Easy E
31-01-2006, 06:28
PVC, PVC, PVC, PVC!
Sprinkle liberally with some card, straws, sprue rubble, plastic electric boxes, and AOL CD's.
Enjoy.

Alco Engineer
31-01-2006, 23:23
At my local gaming club they have a piece called "The Tower" It's about over metre high and probably about 80cm in diameter. It's made of polystyrene (about an inch thick)and is basically a big X wit platforms (Of Poly styrene) all up the sides. It has all sort of doors and stuff going from 1 side to the other.

It was then covered in sand etc and painted black and drybrushed grey. Looks awesome. It's good for about 4 gangs to play on.

Big project but very cool if you have the space/time.

Melchor
31-01-2006, 23:25
For some reason games of Necromunda get better with higher buidlings. :)

Easy E
02-02-2006, 22:55
At my local gaming club they have a piece called "The Tower" It's about over metre high and probably about 80cm in diameter. It's made of polystyrene (about an inch thick)and is basically a big X wit platforms (Of Poly styrene) all up the sides. It has all sort of doors and stuff going from 1 side to the other.

Wasn't that highlighted in the Journal and Necro Magazine? If it is the piece I am thinking of, it was very impressive.

Alco Engineer
02-02-2006, 23:23
They may have pinched the idea. I don't recall.

Shadowheart
02-02-2006, 23:56
Wasn't that highlighted in the Journal and Necro Magazine? If it is the piece I am thinking of, it was very impressive.

That'll be the 'board' featured in White Dwarf 207, built by "Corkin'" Matthew Currier. Most impressive.

For Necro terrain you can use loads of scrap material. Anything solid and with an interesting shape can be turned into a part of the Underhive with a few extra bits and a lick of paint. Keep an eye out for packaging materials, but also for old, broken hardware like TV sets, if you take them apart you'll find lots of interesting plastic bits. Sci-fi toys and model kits can be useful too.

And of course a load of bulkheads and card go a long way in making simple buildings. Plastic straws (especially the ones with the bendy bits) can make quick and easy pipes. Get some fine metal mesh as well, apart from being useful for fences you can stick it to floors to give it a heavy grid texture. And texture is IMO a very important but often overlooked part of terrain building. Try to avoid ending up with large, plain areas.

Alco Engineer
03-02-2006, 00:40
Get some fine metal mesh as well, apart from being useful for fences you can stick it to floors to give it a heavy grid texture. And texture is IMO a very important but often overlooked part of terrain building. Try to avoid ending up with large, plain areas.
I've used flyscreen and that plastic mesh that fruit comes in too. It's cheap and looks almost as good as metal mesh.

talos935
08-02-2006, 15:55
For lasy and basic texture use Rough Coat (if they still make it) and dry brush it

Melchor
08-02-2006, 16:02
I've used flyscreen and that plastic mesh that fruit comes in too. It's cheap and looks almost as good as metal mesh.

Great idea!

I still have the cardboard and plastic Necromunda scenery that GW sold waaay back, and I might 'remake' it with plasticard for added sturdiness because it is beginning to show it's age. Flyscreen would be a great way to add texture to the platforms. :)

Thanks loads!

The Judge
08-02-2006, 19:38
I do have to recommend the new Cityfight terrain - check out the 40K rumours section for pics. Looks beautiful.

Melchor
08-02-2006, 19:51
It does look good... but I think the price for an entire board of the stuff is enough to make me rebuild my old Necromunda scenery.

I've already got that you see, and I can't see myself using the Cityfight terrain for Necromunda. It just doesn't look right...

Lord Humongous
09-02-2006, 18:07
I discoverd a really addition to any set of necromunda terrain. I "aquired" a pretty big (18 inch by 6 foot) sheet of 3 inch thick non-beaded styrofoam building insulation. I cut this up into various blocks that were all large rectangels (18 inch by nine inch, 18 by 12, nine by nine, plus a couple "L" shaped sections) and built ladders around the edges in various places, cut stairs into some of the corners, ran pipes along the sides, etc.
The result was a set of large "hill" that could be laid out on the table top to create a system of elevated platues and recessed chanels. The platues could be reached only by going to a ladder or stairway, or finding a "climbable" section (one with pipes or other detailing) and paying the movement cost for crossing difficult ground.
Wit buildings placed mostly on tops of these "hills", or in lage open places, the effect looked like a dome floor with heavy building foundations and narrow sub-floor access pathways. Movment across the board was MUCH more tactical, because there was only so many ways you could get around / over the "hills". They also blocked LOS entirely in many situations, leading to a lot more short range firefights and HTH combat; pistols were very effective in games with this terrain. However, they also created "lanes of fire" that lead to heavy weapons being able to effectively deny access to entire board areas.
For tensportation, all of the blocks were shaped so that I could stack them into a large cardboard box with a lid. It was a pretty big box to carry into a store, but I never damaged any of the stuff. I ended up donating it to the store when I moved; it only took a few hours to make. I'll see if I can find any pictures.

Melchor
10-02-2006, 15:50
That sounds interesting Lord Humonguous! I'd like to see some pics of that...

I tried something like that a long time ago. I played a Necromunda demo game in a GW-store once (yeah, that long ago), and liked it so much that I deceided to make up a similar ruleset with a mate (couldn't afford it back then ;)).

We made the terrain by stacking all sorts of boxes on top of eachother and connecting them by means of paint stirrer 'walkways'.
Great fun was had by all. :D