PDA

View Full Version : Festering Shroud

The_Dark_Raven
03-11-2009, 17:30
Couldn't resolve this and can't find it anywhere.

Does my unit of Knights with the banner need to have the Mark of Nurgle for this to taken? Because they have the mark of Knorne, and i've taken it and one guy tried to sell me on the idea that i would also suffer it's effects not having the mark of Nurgle myself, the despute went on and the battle basicly came to a stand still.

Anyone know if it's legal to take this banner on a unit of Knights with the mark of Khorne and still get the written rule effect.

I also doubted i would suffer the effects of the banner without the Nurgle mark due to the rule, am i correct?

EvC
03-11-2009, 17:39
Well, what does it say? There's one Chaos item that says it does affect all models without the Mark of Nurgle- so it will affect your own non-Nurgle troops.

theunwantedbeing
03-11-2009, 17:48
It's 100% legal on any model allowed to take a magical banner.
Although only nurgle marked models will be immune to the effects.
(and the banner bearer and his mount, regardless of whether they have the nurgle mark)

So probably not the smartest idea to put it on a non-nurgle expensive unit of knights, as its effects ignore armour.

The_Dark_Raven
03-11-2009, 18:01
Thanks for clearing that up Unwanted.

I'll have to rethink the banner for the unit then, or just make the unit Nurgle insted of Khorne, either or my army is a mix of Khorne and Nurgle so it wouldn't be too hard to change.

Lucky i haven't started the conversions or painting yet!

Avian
03-11-2009, 18:13
You could have it on a Knight unit with the Mark of Khorne if you place it at the end of the unit and have an Exalted with the Mark of Nurgle next to him. ;)

The_Dark_Raven
03-11-2009, 18:59
What about the night behind him? and diagonal to him? both would be in base contact correct?

Not saying the idea isn't smart, bus i should have mention i have 10 knights, this is my first Chaos army, i am normally a Dark Angel and Empire player, so this is my holiday project.

Your idea would work Avian, but even with 5 knights and a Exalted Champion i need to keep the unit under one mark, that means if the champion has Nurgle the squad would have it too, you can't include different marks in one unit, even if it's an individual character. (as i understand from the army book)

theunwantedbeing
03-11-2009, 19:04
Corner contact is still base contact.
So a standard bearer in the middle of 10 knights will be in base contact with 5 of them.
Stick him on the corner of the unit and he will only be in base contact with 3 of them.

Nothing prevents you putting differently marked models in the same unit.
You just cannot buy a unit more than 1 mark.

Avian
03-11-2009, 19:32
What about the night behind him? and diagonal to him? both would be in base contact correct?
Correct.

Chaos Knights don't usually come in more than one rank, though, the cost being somewhat prohibitive. :p

acsmedic
03-11-2009, 19:40
Nurgle knights with festering shroud and nurgle bsb with banner of rage...

You have the best of both worlds. (although admittedly VERY expensive)

The_Dark_Raven
03-11-2009, 20:46
Nothing prevents you putting differently marked models in the same unit.
You just cannot buy a unit more than 1 mark.

That makes no sense?

Unless your saying I am using two units of 5 rather then 10? which would defeat the purpose.

Tarian
03-11-2009, 20:51
You buy the *unit* the mark of Khorne and the Hero the mark of Nurgle.

Said hero goes into the unit. The unit only has 1 mark (Khorne) and the Hero (his own unit) only has one mark (Nurgle).

jaxom
03-11-2009, 21:08
I'll be honest, Raven... I've never seen a rank matter to Chaos Knights. You either eon or lost with the first rank and a rank bonus is not enough to matter.

If you're worried about shooting/magic casualties, then you want 2 units so that they have to shoot at both of them. If you're worried about CR then I have to ask how much 1 point matters if you had 25 attacks already... Something is wrong.

theunwantedbeing
03-11-2009, 21:27
That makes no sense?

Unless your saying I am using two units of 5 rather then 10? which would defeat the purpose.

It makes perfect sense, you have merely misread.

The_Dark_Raven
03-11-2009, 22:00
You can't do that, i read in the book you can't have a hero or lord with a different mark to a unit in it.

So you can't have a Hero with mark of Khorne in a Nurgle unit and vice versa and for all situation, no Nurgle hero in Khorne units and so on.

The hero or lord in the unit has to bear the same mark as the unit, unless they don't have one which then it doesn't matter.

theunwantedbeing
03-11-2009, 22:03
That comes under the whole "you have misread" bit of my post.

Although feel free to find the page reference that proves me wrong.

Cambion Daystar
03-11-2009, 22:08
@ raven: Are you even reading the latest book?

The_Dark_Raven
03-11-2009, 22:23
I have the latest book, I don't see where it says you can place a hero with a different mark to a unit within it. I'll give it a go and see what comes of it though.

Nurgling Chieftain
03-11-2009, 23:13
...I don't see where it says you can place a hero with a different mark to a unit within it.You need to find the part that says you can't. Characters can inherently join units - there needs to be a rule stopping them from joining a unit before it's prohibited.

BTW, there is a rule that prevents a character from having a different mark than his chariot.

The_Dark_Raven
03-11-2009, 23:27
BTW, there is a rule that prevents a character from having a different mark than his chariot.

I think i read this and because i was skimming thought of it as generic.

Anyways, taken your advice and re did my Army List which i shall put on the Army List forum here in a moment.

Revlid
03-11-2009, 23:27
You need to find the part that says you can't. Characters can inherently join units - there needs to be a rule stopping them from joining a unit before it's prohibited.

Well, yes, but given that they count as one model, that makes a fair bit of sense.

sulla
04-11-2009, 03:06

:D But nothing stopping an unmarked mage riding on a khorne chariot with his best friend 'Headsplitter Ihatemages'...

Nurgling Chieftain
04-11-2009, 05:04
ROFLMAO! :cheese: :D

pointyteeth
06-11-2009, 18:39
:D But nothing stopping an unmarked mage riding on a khorne chariot with his best friend 'Headsplitter Ihatemages'...

:D Sigged!