PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point lizzie's (no magic, to fight dwarfs)

jthdotcom
03-11-2009, 23:49
Saurus Old Blood 432
Great Weapon, Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Venom of the Firefly Frog, Aura of Quetzl (great weapon is for if he ends up on foot)

Skink Chief on stegadon (not ancient) 348
War Spear, Giant Bow, Blowpipe,

16 saurus with spears and full command 222

5 Cold One Cavalry, full command and warbanner 250

2 Salamanders 150 (running seperately)

12 chameleon skinks 144 (2x6)

Or replace 16 saurus with 10 skirmishers and 5 teradons

What do you guys think? I have 10 pts left over...extra handler on each of the sallies? Or if I swap out the saurus for terradons I'd have 12, so a stalker in each chameleon unit? Advice welcome, I am totally new to lizards, this will be my 4th game, and my first 3 were magic heavy, I want to try out a different approach

Bard Harlock
04-11-2009, 01:26
Any idea if you're going to be facing a gunline?

Gaargod
04-11-2009, 10:47
What was the comment about the lord? He's on foot there - is he meant to be on a carnosaur (price suggests yes...)? I'd say lose the great weapon and venom for just a plain sword of might - allows you to keep your shield and still is a hitty magic weapon. Its no Blade of Realities or Revered Tzunki (BoRT being a very good option against dwarves), but its pretty good. Also, take Glyph necklace over aura of quetzl - much better in this edition.

No excuse for the skink chief NOT to be on an ancient steg. Vast improvement, especially with warspear. Also, he can't use the giant bow (see LM FAQ), and doesn't really need the blowpipe. Make him the BSB if pos too, cheap and effective.

Why 16 saurus? 18 with a standad (+musician maybe) is the standard build - 3 ranks of 6.
Very effective again. Also, i think it may be an idea to drop the 3rd squad for some more skirmishers/points on other stuff.

Cold ones don't need full command. Just a standard is sufficient (and warbanner, if you want it)

Salamanders are nice ran seperately, but then need their extra handler i find.

Chameleons are very subpar compared to terradons. 1 squad of 4 (optimum number) will do you more.

lizardmaster
06-11-2009, 19:25
If you're new to lizardmen I'd agree with the terradons over the chameleons, but as your skill increases the chameleon will have a much bigger impact on most games. Just keep in mind that chameleons in this addition are a hit or miss unit for some players, and consistantly controlling a section of the table with them takes a lot of skill at using skirmishers. Remember that skirmishers with no finesse are a waste of points. I also agree that the saurus units would benifit from being 6 wide, but I've had success with 5 wide and would encourage you to do what you're more comfortable with.

As far as playing against dwarfs, use more skirmishers. A 75 point unit moving in circles (with or without shooting) around such a slow moving unit can seriously affect the flow of the game. Who knows, if your opponent lacks experience he may even turn his unit to face the skinks shooting them from behind lol. I've seen so many rookies loose games doing that it's not even funny!

As far as everybody recomending you lose the champion, don't let anyone sway you one way or the other. I've been playing for over 10 years now and I've heard every arguement, I can tell you with all honesty that people who leave out the champion don't win any more often than those that include one. It's about personal style. I've played (literally) hundreds of games over the last 3 editions of the game with Lizardmen. I've lost less than a dozen of those games, tournaments included, and I've never taken a single unit without a champion/brave. It's a preference, nothing more. Make your own decision.