PDA

View Full Version : High Elves of Avelorn

tensions
04-11-2009, 06:21
After finished my Gobotonnia army back in Sept and a month of long rest, I think it is time for me to move on to my next project.

I have always liked the idea of creating unique army which has very strong distinctive theme and background full of imagination. I wanted my army to be able to tell a story of its own but without deviating too much from the original flavour of it all.

High Elf army of Avelorn
“North east of Ellyrion, across the river Arduil, lies the great Forest of Avelorn, most ancient of all Elven realms. Upon its tamgled groves ancient glamours lie, and under its eaves creatures of legend still walk. Treemen tend the wild gardens of oak and suntree. Great Eagles nest in the enchanted hills, and unicorns walk in its sun-dappled glades. The Elves that live here are a strange, fey breed who share much in common with the Wood Elves of Athel Lothern.
Avelorn is land of great cultural significance to the High Elves. Since the dawn of time, this idyllic land has been ruled by a line of queens who are counted among the most beautiful Elf maidens ever to draw breath. When Aenarion the Defender took his place as the first Phoenix King, he chose Astarielle, ruler of Avelorn, to be his Everqueen. Since that time millennia ago, each queen of Avelorn has fulfilled the same role, keeping alive one of the most important and ancient traditions of the High Elves.”

I read this few pages reference related to the inner kingdoms of Ulthuan, and Avelorn, the most ancient of all Elven realms gave me the inspiration to create a unique high elf army with very strong wood elf theme. With theme and background decided it was time to get down to business.

DarkMark
04-11-2009, 06:39
I wanted to do the last of my pointy ears with this theme, but it got put on the back burner. However, for the spearmen I'd use the WE EG as they're superb figures. The direct only standard is lovely too, if you can squeeze it in too.

Personally I think WRs represent reavers better, as they have the same equipment set up, but GR are a good choice too.

How are you doing the SMs?

Thurizdan
04-11-2009, 11:00
Exciting! You should get some 5th edition Glade Guard for your Spearmen.

It seems like you're trying to keep this as a competitive gaming army as opposed to a shelf display project, would that assumption be correct? I base this on the inclusion of chariots and bolt throwers, and the Ring of "Fury" doesn't really sound right for the Everqueen.

Indreth
04-11-2009, 15:07
That sounds interresting mate.
I really like the theme of your amry and I'm looking forward too see some progress here :)
Kind Regards,
I.

Bladelord
04-11-2009, 17:52
Just one month of rest after the splendid Gobtonnians? Very well, the more eye candy and photos to drop in my inspiration folder the better. :D

It certainly sounds as though you'll execute a strong theme. I'm all for themes, and often it's the wackier the better...

Best of luck and joy with this project, sir.

Leogecko
04-11-2009, 18:45
looking forward to this after having seen your gobtonnians

Nightmare Mazer
08-11-2009, 13:24
Lovely to hear that you are on a new project. The gobbotonians were the most interesting army I've ever seen in an online plog!

Waiting patiently for the first updates of your new project :P.

tensions
26-12-2009, 02:42
my lion chariots finally arrived, finished off my White Lion Princes and started on my White lions.

I decided to use the plastic lion chariot crews as White lions, I found the metal version are ugly and clearly doesn't not fit into the rest of my force.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/tensions/High%20elves/WIP/5lionprinces.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/tensions/High%20elves/WIP/whitelionsstage1.jpg

Thurizdan
26-12-2009, 08:21
The knights look pretty fearsome! Are you going to do a whole infantry unit of White Lions with just Chariot crew? a) That's really expensive, b) they'll all look a bit similar.

Breazer
26-12-2009, 09:44
very dynamic looking princes....the white lions i would probably have done with other legs....i find these too much looking for balance to be honoust....dont know how it will look when the whole unit is done but thats at least my oppinion about it so far.
but they do at least look better than the metal ones

Alaitoc
26-12-2009, 09:49
Really nice! The lion knights are awesome!

And I don't understand?! GW have REALLY nice plastic white lions in the chariot...why not just take those bits and make a plastic whit lions unit? Because your beginning of the white lions unit in plastic is amazing!

Armond
26-12-2009, 12:07

Not fair, I was actually in the works of doing something like that... How dare you! LOL! That idea has been running thru myhead since 6th edition warhammer, I just never got to see it fulfilled!!!

But I am definitely a supporter! And I truly believe you will do this project justice, don't be suprised however if you see something similar in the future!! Good luck with it, and so far everything looks awesome!!!

Joeli
27-12-2009, 17:31
looks very cool, but i have to correct you right here. avelorn, is the forest in ulthuan, and they dont know about the white leons there, wich only live in chrace. avelorn used more great eagles, archers and even dryads! you can say these high eves are similar to wood elves, except the high elves stick to their tradition, and the wood elves to their. i recommend a green/yellowish colourscheme and the iron should also be gold/metal/greenish imo. hope this will make stuff clearer for you:)

good luck:)

Kasrkin 666
27-12-2009, 17:37
Oh yes! I loved your Gobotonnia army and am glad to see you starting something new! Definitely keeping an eye on this.

-Sunny

tensions
27-12-2009, 21:42
Are you going to do a whole infantry unit of White Lions with just Chariot crew? a) That's really expensive, b) they'll all look a bit similar.

a) yup, don't really care about money :)
b) I will do some conversions, even they look similar but they still look better than the crappy metal version IMO. I hate the metal one.

ooks very cool, but i have to correct you right here. avelorn, is the forest in ulthuan, and they dont know about the white leons there, wich only live in chrace. avelorn used more great eagles, archers and even dryads! you can say these high eves are similar to wood elves, except the high elves stick to their tradition, and the wood elves to their. i recommend a green/yellowish colourscheme and the iron should also be gold/metal/greenish imo. hope this will make stuff clearer for you

I know, it is a wood elf themed high elves army with white lions of chrace as ally. I'm using wood elves models to represent high elves.
eg:

glade guards = archers
maiden guards = Sea guards without shields
waywatchers = shadow warriors
eagle = eagle
reaver = glade rider

gonna use avatars of war 's light mage as my Archmage

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/tensions/High%20elves/WIP/Archmage.jpg

started on my SeaGuard aka Everqueen personal maiden guards (without shield), I decided NOT to give my sea guards any shields as it fits better in to the theme of my army.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c137/tensions/High%20elves/WIP/seaguards.jpg

Indreth
28-12-2009, 01:29
Wow! I really like the riding White Lions and the normal ones!
Great work, I hope to see more soon! ;)
Cheers,
I.

innerwolf
28-12-2009, 07:05
I'm being honest. White Lion cavalry look very cool, but as Dragon Princes they are underwheelming(in rules terms). Look, those huge lions count as a horse and sport only 1 S3 attack. If you also use lion chariots, those lions would be strangely stronger than the ones mounted by the elves.

Apart from that, your theme is very interesting and I dig it.