PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dwarves and Mongoblins; Khabuldashudeth sculpts again!

Khabuldashudeth
04-11-2009, 10:49
Hello fellow Warseers. You may remember me from such threads as 'Khabuldashudeth sculpts', but if you don't, don't look it up. Its rubbish. :D

Anyway, my latest project is here and my old thread is too long, so without further ado;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/evildwarf.jpg

My very first evil Dwarf sculpt. Its going to have options for hand weapon and shield, great weapon or blunderbuss. It will also have an optional face mask and big hat (for anyone into such things). It also comes cast in solid gold, with a choice of three free naked ladies, and all for less than a dollar.

Well, actually, that was a lie to distract you from this;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/dwarfedbyadwarf.jpg

As you can see, I'm already working on another in a better scale. Ideas and inspiration are welcome, I want to sculpt what you'd like to see :D

Khabuldashudeth
04-11-2009, 10:53
I think I remember there was a picture limit on this place, so here's my second unit; Mongoblins!

Here's the leader, don't suggest changes cause he's out of my hands :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/mongoblin.jpg

He's as high as a Night Goblin from Skull Pass, but he is kneeling. His unitmate, however, is the same height and not;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/mongoblin1.jpg

Going for weapon options here too, hand + shield, great, maybe 2 hand. Again, suggestions are welcome. :)

Thurizdan
04-11-2009, 11:13
I think I remember there was a picture limit on this place, so here's my second unit; Mongoblins!

Picture limit is six including smilies.

He's as high as a Night Goblin from Skull Pass...

Ah, Skull Pass, centre of the counter culture movement of free love and rock n roll.

The Mongoblin looks great, very ethnic.

Are you sticking with the Babylonian look for your Dwarves then? Judging by the plaited beard.

mrtn
04-11-2009, 11:27
That goblin looks great, small and evil. :)

Bregalad
04-11-2009, 17:51
Fantastic sculpts! Esp. the Mongoblin Chief is a fresh new design! Please more sculpts with moustaches and mongol caps. And a female witch/shaman is always welcome. Do I understand you right, that you will finally sell those on Troll Forged? Then you have a future customer!

Bladelord
04-11-2009, 17:59
For a start, I quite enjoyed your work on the original log. Is the Skullchild released?

Secondly, your new sculpts are quite much better, and more intense. A lot of things going on it those models. You should expect a lot of interest in your new niche - those mongoblins should catch at least some attention, and who haven't heard of the "Wanted: Chaos Dwarfs" posters up and about?

The height variation shouldn't be too much of a concern. If only two or three model options are shorter (or taller) than the rest of the range, it adds realism rather than degrades its visual value, so to speak.

Good luck - consider me subscribed!

Khabuldashudeth
06-11-2009, 00:09
Thurizdan - thanks, and I asked for that :D I'm looking for suggestions for evil dwarf looks, but this one is sticking with what I know. Alternate heads may be made in future, I do get bored easily :D

mrtn - thanks, he should have a few friends on the way soon (and limbs)

Bregalad - yeah, these should be available on Troll Forged when they're done. If you've any suggestions about what you'd like to see, let me know. Would that be a female goblin witch/shaman?

N0th1ng c4n b34t 3lv3s - thanks, I'm trying to improve as much as I can (eventually I want to quit my day job... :D). Skullchild is out on Troll Forged, and people seem to like mr dwarf dwarf so he's staying :) I reckon a bit of variation is good...

Bregalad
06-11-2009, 11:16
Yes, I meant a female Mongoblin witch. And anything usable for a Chaos Dwarf/Hobgoblin list. Maybe Mongoblin Yak riders counting as Hobgoblin Wolf riders. And a transport yak with a family on the drawn sled.

Whitehorn
06-11-2009, 11:24
I loved your previous work and these are just fantastic. I would buy.

shredshredxx
06-11-2009, 19:51
the evil dwarf sculpt is totally awesome, i'd buy it in a heartbeat, and i don't even play chaos dwarfs.

any ideas on a timeframe for when they'll be available on trollforged perchance??

mdiscala
06-11-2009, 20:01
Totally sweet!

Krzyek
08-11-2009, 11:42
The dwarf is awesome, but in my opinion just a little bit to small. (maybe not bulky enough)

malika
08-11-2009, 11:57
Really cool! I'm seriously digging the Mongoblins, hopefully some of the other sculptors will join in as well and expand on this range!

Khabuldashudeth
10-11-2009, 19:59
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/4dwarfs.jpg

pictuuures :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/bighat.jpg

How should I detail it? I'm thinking less 'chaos leprechaun', if you will...

Mr.chair
10-11-2009, 22:16
Wow, these look quite nice. Thought of casting them?

Bregalad
11-11-2009, 00:12
Consider making some with bigger hawk noses, as the old bighats had.
Hat should fit the head size. Maybe not skulls and lightnings like on the old hats, but a spike on top might help. And look at Napoleonic French hats and Assyrian/Babylonian iconography for inspiration.

Layne in Spayne
11-11-2009, 02:46
Oh hi. Nice place you got here. Tee hee. He looks like a toiny toiny ogre, hee hee.

Khabuldashudeth
11-11-2009, 18:11
Wow, these look quite nice. Thought of casting them?

You know what, it has crossed my mind... ;)

Consider making some with bigger hawk noses, as the old bighats had.
Hat should fit the head size. Maybe not skulls and lightnings like on the old hats, but a spike on top might help. And look at Napoleonic French hats and Assyrian/Babylonian iconography for inspiration.

I've cut the bottom off so it a) fits the head better, b) looks more like a traditional bighat. I'll be making a few more bodies yet, so there'll be a hawk-nose in the next set. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh hi. Nice place you got here. Tee hee. He looks like a toiny toiny ogre, hee hee.

If it isn't the original Mongoblin lord. If I'd seen you around anywhere in the last few months, I'd have asked for input sooner. Any suggestions? :D

Khabuldashudeth
11-11-2009, 18:20
The dwarf is awesome, but in my opinion just a little bit to small. (maybe not bulky enough)

I've made a few more bodies, but only one seems significantly larger. I'm making a couple more, and I'll make sure they are :D

Totally sweet!

Cheers!

the evil dwarf sculpt is totally awesome, i'd buy it in a heartbeat, and i don't even play chaos dwarfs.

any ideas on a timeframe for when they'll be available on trollforged perchance??

I'm aiming to finish the unit and have them safely in Ed's hands by December (I get about 2-3 days a week to work on them, otherwise it'd be sooner). After that, it depends on how long casting takes.

I loved your previous work and these are just fantastic. I would buy.

Awesome, thank you.

Yes, I meant a female Mongoblin witch. And anything usable for a Chaos Dwarf/Hobgoblin list. Maybe Mongoblin Yak riders counting as Hobgoblin Wolf riders. And a transport yak with a family on the drawn sled.

If you've any concept art or ideas, either list them here or PM me - it'd be like a comission, only cheaper :D

As far as cavalry goes, I've begun Mongoblin wolves, which will carry 3 riders each; one with bow, one with sword, one with shield.

Hopefully it will turn out as well as I've imagined....

Layne in Spayne
11-11-2009, 19:11
No suggestions as yet... you're doing exactly what I should have. O no, there is one thing... some of the weapons should be stolen. Do you know, you get twenty four greatweapons in the new Empire box? This is how you make Mongoblins into Black Orcs. That, and halberds.

Bregalad
11-11-2009, 22:27
If you've any concept art or ideas, either list them here or PM me - it'd be like a comission, only cheaper :D
Not much ATM, and I am not a good artist. Just a nice Hun pic for inspiration (huns are maybe more fitting for goblins, nicely depicted in early Prince Valiant comics http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Valiant-1939-1940-Reprints/dp/1606993488/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257981233&sr=8-10 ), a pic of the type of sled I had in mind (called travois correctly as I learned), a pic of a West Wind dwarf mounted on a highland bull as inspiration of what a dwarf yak mounted goblin might look like, a book on Mongols by Osprey ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mongols-Men-at-arms-S-R-Turnbull/dp/0850453720/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257981221&sr=8-17 ) and a pic of a Siberian shaman (always with drums here) for now.

Whitehorn
12-11-2009, 23:40
If you are going down the big hat road, please make them detachable if you plan to cast them. I detest them :P

The rest of the model is gorgeous though!

Bregalad
13-11-2009, 00:56
Its going to have options for hand weapon and shield, great weapon or blunderbuss. It will also have an optional face mask and big hat (for anyone into such things).

If you are going down the big hat road, please make them detachable if you plan to cast them.
That is the plan.

Khabuldashudeth
18-11-2009, 21:38
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/dwarfmasks.jpg

quick update; two of the optional face masks

Joeli
19-11-2009, 13:19
In-Saneee!

malika
19-11-2009, 17:50
Looking good man! I think that in the near future we'll be seeing entire hordes of Mongoblins and evil dwarfs invading the Empire...all supplied by Troll Forged Miniatures! :D

Khabuldashudeth
08-12-2009, 14:00
more Mongoblin madness!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/mongoblin-bearer.jpg

This one is a standard bearer, next; a drummer! I'm going to take inspiration from the large drum pic Bregalad posted, but maybe make it less ornate. Then steal the ornateness for the witch/shaman ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/armproblem.jpg

These are a bit blurry, but... does it look like the left arm (in any pic) is significantly smaller than the right? I cant decide, but I feel when something feels wrong it must be wrong.

Any ideas?

malika
08-12-2009, 14:21
Very cool! What about Mongoblins mounted on hounds/wolves, maybe less daemonic versions of the Barghest? Especially the second one (http://trollforged.com/images/fs_overlay_Demon_Barghest2_paint.jpg).

Layne in Spayne
09-12-2009, 09:17
It might be that the right hand is slightly larger than the left? It could be that the rather more open position of the right hand makes it look bigger. But anyway I like it. Slightly Khandish look to it, while still having the face of a GW gobbo - or like a tiny GW ogre.

Bregalad
09-12-2009, 09:51
I still think that the Mongoblins cry for small Yaks as mounts. More characterfull that the usual wolves that everyone else uses.

malika
09-12-2009, 10:06
I just checked some pics of that animal! Great idea! What about adding lots of pouches, bags and all that sort of stuff? Making it look as if they truly live on their mounts, kinda like the Mongolians who practically live on their horses.

Khabuldashudeth
09-12-2009, 10:13
Evil Dwarves. These 4 are done.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/DSC01176.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/DSC01178.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/DSC01179.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/DSC01182.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/DSC01186.jpg

Khabuldashudeth
09-12-2009, 10:24
You want Yaks? Then Yaks it shall be! :D

and Layne, thanks! I bulked up the hand (and shoulder) a bit, and it looks fine now :)

deathskullork
09-12-2009, 19:52
Those dwarves are fantastic, I dont usually like stunties but these are brilliant.

Bregalad
09-12-2009, 21:13
You want Yaks? Then Yaks it shall be! :D
That's the right spirit! :p Thanks!

Lt Dougheim
09-12-2009, 22:56
Those are awesome. I really want to see yak riders.

pointyteeth
10-12-2009, 19:21
good lord! I want! excellent work, so much character packed into a small evil package. The masks have to be my favorite. If you can pull off yak riders, I will go out and buy a hat so I can take it off to you.

Bregalad
10-12-2009, 20:43
I just checked some pics of that animal! Great idea! What about adding lots of pouches, bags and all that sort of stuff? Making it look as if they truly live on their mounts, kinda like the Mongolians who practically live on their horses.

I really want to see yak riders.

If you can pull off yak riders, I will go out and buy a hat so I can take it off to you.
See? Might turn out a good idea after all!:cool:

Bladelord
10-12-2009, 22:29
Excellent!
Your evil dwarves are turning out superb, and the mongoblins have some real promise.

Three points:
1.) Do yak mounts. You know you should. Hell, I myself'll help a friend of my brother to make the GW wolf mounts into tapirs for his swamp-goblin horde.
2.) The mongoblin shaman's left arm is too short. I didn't notice it at first, but it should not be arduously difficult to correct.
3.) His banner is sweet, but the horizontal rods are too thick. A more gentle look for those rods would be an advantage to the model as a whole. I'd simply take paper clips, glue on, and thicken them somewhat with Green Stuff.

Otherwise, really good work!

Khabuldashudeth
13-12-2009, 09:26
Quit yer Yakkin' :D I'll do them next!

I have about 4 free days before xmas. So... yak mounts.

First off - how big? Stunty yaks, or horse-sized ish?

Barded?

I see them as heavy cavalry, barded with a single rider (back banner each, 2 for the champ) and lots of bags. Full-sized yaks, to appear both intimidating and give a stark contrast to the puny creatures riding them :p

I also thought to do light cavalry, with no barding and two riders each - one with sword and reins, one with bow.

If there are no further suggestions by tomorrow, then start them I shall.

Oh, and I lengthened the banner bearers left arm between the wrist and elbow, and bulked up his shoulder a bit.

Bregalad
13-12-2009, 11:52
Normal Yaks are cow sized, but I was thinking of stunty Yaks, so that they can "count as" (hob)goblin wolfriders as well for those CD/goblin players (personally I love just painting those, but most people want to use them in armies). Heavy cavalry might count as Orc boar riders, but might not be usable for Chaos Dwarfs, except maybe as the mounted hobgoblin champion.

Same reasoning: Small Yak with just one rider, reins and one weapon type (fitting goblin and CD list, light cavalry) might be better for armies, but two riders (one with reins and one with weapon) also sounds very cool and fits the lists. Maybe two rider/one weapon/smaller Yak type for troops and one rider/banner/bigger yak for champ.

In the end, the size must fit the general look of the miniature, not too small and not too big. Also whether one or two riders fit. I have confidence that you will find a good solution. BTW what does barded mean? Horse armour? I only found a term from cooking.

"How is the Mongoblin mount?" "Yuck!" :D

Bdt501
13-12-2009, 13:55
awsum stuff yak cav will look great

juicytomatoes
14-12-2009, 13:16
hey K! wow this batch of greens look stupendous. you just keep getting better and better. can't wait to see those yaks...

Khabuldashudeth
15-12-2009, 09:48
Normal Yaks are cow sized, but I was thinking of stunty Yaks, so that they can "count as" (hob)goblin wolfriders as well for those CD/goblin players (personally I love just painting those, but most people want to use them in armies). Heavy cavalry might count as Orc boar riders, but might not be usable for Chaos Dwarfs, except maybe as the mounted hobgoblin champion.

Same reasoning: Small Yak with just one rider, reins and one weapon type (fitting goblin and CD list, light cavalry) might be better for armies, but two riders (one with reins and one with weapon) also sounds very cool and fits the lists. Maybe two rider/one weapon/smaller Yak type for troops and one rider/banner/bigger yak for champ.

In the end, the size must fit the general look of the miniature, not too small and not too big. Also whether one or two riders fit. I have confidence that you will find a good solution. BTW what does barded mean? Horse armour? I only found a term from cooking.

"How is the Mongoblin mount?" "Yuck!" :D

Heh, I know, but GW don't do cows (as far as I know), so thats why I mentioned horses :p

Also, barding is horse armour and barded means wearing horse armour. At least, thats what GW claims, so correct me if this is wrong :D

I think the only solution is to make both a heavy and light cavalry. I think if its stunty yaks, then one rider fits best. I may experiment though ;)

What weapon types would you like to see? Spears? Bows?

Either way, its time to quit my yakking and get to sculpting....

malika
15-12-2009, 10:46
Make both versions of the cavalry covered with stuff. With the light cavalry the backs of the yak's bodies would be covered with bags, pouches, some extra equipment, etc. The light cavalry are the scouts of the Mongoblin warbands and practically live on their cavalry. They would normally be armed with bows, but could also carry other weapons with them such as swords, clubs, and maybe spears. They would be (somewhat, as far as its possible for goblins) skilled archers.

The heavy cavalry would be armoured, the yaks would be covered by small squared plates of armour, kind of the style of that old chinese armour. These guys would be armed with spears.

Khabuldashudeth
30-12-2009, 21:39
Yak went wrong, so I scrapped it. Next armature is ready, so hopefully I'll do better this time.

I'm working on a foot regiment of Mongoblins, and the drummer is done, if the pics are awful...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/mgobdrum.jpg

There's also one who ended up considerably more well-armoured than the rest, so I might keep him aside and make an 'elite' unit of them in that style. I'll get better pics n then see what you think...

mrtn
31-12-2009, 11:06
It looks like the handle on the sword on his back is too short for him to actually hold it? Otherwise I like him, though personally I'd make the drum skin more tight, i e flat.

Khabuldashudeth
08-01-2010, 10:47
Drummer has been fixed (longer handle, flatter drum skin), banner bearer has been cut up because the anatomy was too wrong to fix, but he'll be back :D

Not much Yak progress, but I did a test [heavy] rider (to try the armour style) and I kind of like it. Not sure if I should make a whole unit of these guys, as Mongoblin foot elites.

The actual riders will likely have proper spears instead of the halberd.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/mongoblin-ax.jpg

mrtn
08-01-2010, 15:52
Tiny cutey!

Bladelord
24-02-2010, 20:41
I haven't checked here for a long while now, but those mongoblin drummer and halberdier reeks of greatness. Mini-greatness. :)

Brother Mordeus
24-02-2010, 23:12
Nice man sry if i missed it but are you going to put the hats on the dwarves? Please don't i think they look terribly pathetic with them.

Indreth
25-02-2010, 15:18
The small one with the halberd looks really cool :) Great work!

Braad
25-02-2010, 17:01
They look great! Lots of flavour, and the sculpting looks quite good. Looking forward to seeing these painted.

doodle bug
25-02-2010, 17:57
amazing! love the mongoblins, my favorite are the drummer and the foot trooper with halberd. can't wait to see these yak riders! keep up the good work, can't wait to see more!

Khabuldashudeth
23-03-2010, 14:38
Here's some more :D

Sorry for my absence, I've been doing comissions to avoid starving to death. But I have been working. Oh yes.

The halberdier has been re-faced. He has a thinner moustache and I tried to make him 'goblinier'. I'll get a pic in a bit, hope you still like him.

As for what else I've done;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/mongob4.jpg

Here we see another Mongoblin, almost finished.

and introducing, Mongoblin/goblin witch;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/witchgobbo.jpg

I did this in about 3 hours last night, the whole mini. It was also my first female sculpt. Hope you like it.

Oh, and I cut up the standard bearer again. What time lucky...?

Nightsword
23-03-2010, 15:02
Hopefully no more snickers dinners for you either ;)

I'm considering dropping you an email about a project I want to do, but am still working it out...

Layne in Spayne
23-03-2010, 21:34
I have no desire to know in what manner you may call that a female sculpt. I know you don't believe me but I did one too. I never showed it because I never quite finished it.

Khabuldashudeth
24-03-2010, 13:39
Layne, that was based on my grandma.

Git. :D

Nightsword, feel free. Do you know my email? if not PM me :P

mrtn
24-03-2010, 15:16
Just a friendly tip: Edit out your email address from your post, and send it in a PM to Nightsword instead. If you are fast enough maybe the spambots won't catch you. :)

Cute grandma. ;)

Khabuldashudeth
24-03-2010, 15:56
what email? ;)

I don't think they've got me yet, but I was going to put it in my sig later anyway.

and thanks :D

Nightsword
24-03-2010, 16:09
*starts spamming*

Memnos
24-03-2010, 16:21
That is a sexy, sexy dwarf. You may as well call him, 'The Sexy Beast'.

How much will he be? Would it be possible to buy units of them?

I'm asking as a Chaos Dwarf army might be fun.

Grisnik
14-04-2010, 08:10
These look great.. seen them on the CDO forums as well.. looking forward to seeing them get released so that I can buy tons of them for a CD army.. loving the bald evilness of them..

Khabuldashudeth
23-02-2011, 22:14
Well, a few of these have finally seen the light of day :D

here they are (http://trollforged.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/khabuldashudeth%E2%80%99s-mon-goblin-army-release/)

No idea about the dwarves as of now though.

Layne in Spayne
23-02-2011, 23:11
I simply cannot believe it. I now have to go buy some, just to save my brain.

Purplebeard
24-02-2011, 08:19
Excellent, excellent work. :)

The Mongoblin with halberd is especially good.

Have you thought about them 'as an army' eg. are they going to have a monster, what types of other units are you going to make up, etc ?