PDA

View Full Version : No "Look Out Sir!" roll for Crack's Call.

Slicktober
04-11-2009, 15:29
The rule for "Look Out Sir!" "applies to all war machines that work in a different way to ordinary shooting... It also applies to any other ranged attack that uses a template (like some spells and magic items)."

Since Crack's Call doesn't use a template, and isn't a war machine, "Look Out Sir!" does not apply. This lets you snipe character models and champions out of units with it.

Burning Head is somewhat similar, but says specifically that its hits are to be resolved like a bouncing cannon ball. Crack's Call says nothing like this.

nosferatu1001
04-11-2009, 16:04
Yes, trhis is correct

Is there a rules question here?

Slicktober
04-11-2009, 16:06
Just making sure my interpretation was correct.

Seems powerful and people might (wrongly) disagree because of the old 6th edition rules that treated "lines" as templates.

Just wanted to throw it out here and see what came back before I started making plans for the spell.

Grimgormx
05-11-2009, 00:03
I dont know that spell, but if it doesnt says that you can choose a character, then it will hit a troop.

how is the spell description?

Slicktober
05-11-2009, 00:35
I dont know that spell, but if it doesnt says that you can choose a character, then it will hit a troop.

No, this isn't true, and I explained why in my initial post, and was met with affirmative response from a respected (or at least prolific) poster.

Just for interest's sake, here are the precise rules of the spell:

A crack appears in the ground at the caster’s feet and runs for 4D6" in a straight line in any direction in the caster’s arc of sight. Any models in its path must make an Initiative test to leap out of the way. Models that fail are removed as casualties.

Instead of taking an Initiative test, war machines and chariots must instead roll a 5+ or be destroyed.

Buildings (or a single section for larger structures) collapse on a roll of 5+. Any models inside must pass an Initiative test or be removed as a casualty. Replace the building (or section for large buildings) with difficult terrain and place survivors in a unit so that at
least one model is touching the newly formed rubble.

If any models cannot fit, they are removed as casualties.

So again, since it says to simply draw a line and have the models take I tests, and since it's not a war machine or template attack, "Look Out Sir!" does not apply, and characters get killed.

Kalandros
05-11-2009, 01:34
"Any models" includes characters and champions, its clear.

TheDarkDaff
05-11-2009, 12:34
So again, since it says to simply draw a line and have the models take I tests, and since it's not a war machine or template attack, "Look Out Sir!" does not apply, and characters get killed.

The only issue is for you to define "template" as a cannon attack is considered a template although it is only a line. As far as i have seen in the BRB "line" and "template" are the same thing.

EvC
05-11-2009, 12:44
Maybe the 6th edition BRB/ boxed set, but at no point are the two terms used interchangeably in 7th. Unfortunately...

Necromancy Black
06-11-2009, 08:27
The only issue is for you to define "template" as a cannon attack is considered a template although it is only a line. As far as i have seen in the BRB "line" and "template" are the same thing.

Not they are not, they are never refered to being the same thing.

Cannon's give Look Out Sir! not because they have a template attack, but because they are a warmahcine that doesn't use BS to hit models.