PDA

View Full Version : DE vs Bretts

Vipus
04-11-2009, 18:55
Hello!

Im heading up to a friends for a few days for some gaming of all varieties and ill be having a friendly game against his Bretts at 1000-1250 points.

Now since i've not actually played for a while I was just wondering how I should go about pieceing my list together as im not entirely sure how each unit will handle against em. If some suggestions can be made on which of my listed units will be generally stronger and if a couple of tips can be given that would be great:

-Sorceress
-Master
-10 Black Guard
-2 x 20 Spearmen
-Approx 25-30 Repeater Xbowmen
-5 Cold One Knights
-10 Dark Riders

Cheers,
Vipus

yarrickson
04-11-2009, 21:35
Hi, whatever unit you put the always strike first banner in will be your strongest.

Your repeater crossbows are pretty decent at felling knights as they force 3 up saves with only 6 up wards, which is very annoying.

Thats all I got, but I am a Bretonnian player, So I guess I could be talking nonsense.

Tarian
04-11-2009, 21:39
I think the Black Guard (if bigger) could pose problems, as Brets don't like stubborn. The spears are almost worthless against Brets, and good luck getting your COKs to charge them.

The RXbows seem to be the best option, as a couple lances will wipe out the Black Guard pretty quickly.

Malorian
04-11-2009, 21:41
I am a bret player and the best thing you can take are harpies! Control the movement phase, bait him, redirect him, and then counter into his flank.

Don't bother with magic. Sure black horror could do well but a scroll caddie would shut you down enough for them to be in combat and the points could be better spent.

Forget about ASF black guard, those str 4 attacks won't do much and then they will get slaughtered.

Just control the movement phase and then set up flank charges.

Tarian
04-11-2009, 21:46
My friend likes to run 2 damsels and 4 scrolls @2k points... so hard to magic him especially with the MR from the damsels to add insult to injury. I agree with Mal, Brets that aren't charging are Brets that are losing.

sulla
04-11-2009, 21:52
A better option that ASF black guard is usually an assassin ain the black guard and the banner of murder. With rune, xhw and killing blow, the assassin can kill a few, and the BG strike at s4, -2 to armour making the brets pretty vulnerable.

Shooting is a good option vs them too, as said earlier. Psychology is useful. Brets are one of the few armies it still works on. All our monsters are good vs them. Chariots are tough enough to duke it out well with them. Harpies and dark riders can hurt them. Shades with great weapons can hurt them in both shooting and on the charge. Executioners with an assassin are a scary prospect for brets. Executioners with a hagBSB carrying the ASF banner are even more scary. Basically, there's a lot of good stuff to use vs brets. Even our core infantry is not too shabby as long as you take a decent, resilient hero or an assassin in there. Try to avoid being charged by more than one 'lance' at the same time and you should do pretty well.

Malorian
04-11-2009, 21:53
Even the assassin isn't that good of an option unless you get lucky with killing blows, and the black guard are only worth it if you have something to counter with.

Now ASF executioners (from bsb) now that's something a bret army would be scared of :D

But as I said it's much easy to redirect with harpies and then simply counter with the executioners.

Dark_Knight
04-11-2009, 23:55
Even the assassin isn't that good of an option unless you get lucky with killing blows, and the black guard are only worth it if you have something to counter with.

Now ASF executioners (from bsb) now that's something a bret army would be scared of :D

But as I said it's much easy to redirect with harpies and then simply counter with the executioners.

Such betrayal! What are you doing Malorian!? :D lol

You're getting good anti-Bret advice. Heed Mal's words.

artyboy
05-11-2009, 03:00
I'd put an assassin in a unit of shades and give him rending stars + black lotus to pick away at his knights from the flanks. Throw in some harpies to march block, bait and redirect. Since you don't have either of those units to work with you might have some trouble.

As for what you have to work with here's what I'd do. Put as many repeater xbows on the field as you can. Run 3 units of 10 RxBmen and 2 units of 5 dark riders. Put the sorc in a unit of RxBmen and give her the darkstar cloak and a dispel scroll or two dispel scrolls. Harass his flanks with your dark riders. The cold ones could be useful but don't expect to get a charge off with them. 10 black guard aren't enough but if that's all you've got they're still worth taking. Stick a master with a great weapon in the middle of them. If you have an assassin, too, then that'll probably push them over the viability threshold. Hopefully, if you plink away at them enough you won't need to worry about being charged by full units by the time they make it across the field. 10 could work but they definitely need support or they'll probably get vaporized the first time they're charged.

ChaosVC
05-11-2009, 03:18
Take a big bowling ball and rolled it over the bretts army. Make sure it doesn't roll back, 2+ward save against str10+++ bowling ball is useless.

TheDarkDaff
05-11-2009, 07:14
-Sorceress
-Master
-10 Black Guard
-2 x 20 Spearmen
-Approx 25-30 Repeater Xbowmen
-5 Cold One Knights
-10 Dark Riders

Cheers,
Vipus

The Master with the AP Great Wepon and regen Armour in ASF Black Guard is painfull for any Knigths unit that it gets at. The Rxbowmen are nice and shuld create a nice little danger zone for the knights. Use the Cold One Knights to counter charge and use the Dark Riders to get down the flanks and annoy him or take out his Trebuchet if he takes it.

It is really worth putting your Dark Riders in the way of his Lances but off to a side so he has to wheel around or chase after yout fleeing fast cav.

Edit: Forgot to add. Play your Knigths down a table edge and try for a flank of a lance. Don't try to attack head on and it is better to spend another turn out of combat that charging in when the odds aren't in your favour. Make sure you help them out with some Dark Riders so if you do have to charge head on the DR's should be able to remove the Lance's rank bonus.

Vipus
05-11-2009, 08:53
Thanks for the tips, im off up there now (3 hour train journey, urgh).

Awilla the Hun
05-11-2009, 20:52
Comrades, you are presuming that the Bretonnians will be taking a Knight heavy list. That is a very dangerous assumption.

willowdark
05-11-2009, 22:09
Bowmen are surely cheap enough to take as much as 30, with any number of them skirmishing. That will put a hurt on harpies and Dark Riders. Trebuchet on a hill should put the hurt on Black Guard, if his guesses are on and the scatter is friendly.

At 1500 or below most of the peasant options start to look pretty good. But even still, I'd say that most of this advice is still solid, though you might me better off focusing fire on things like peasant bowmen and mounted yoemen, since they can generally play the bait and flee game as well as you can.

Oh! And Peg Knights! Don't forget Peg Knights! I'd want to have some Reaper Bolt Throwers. No -1 to hit since they're flying cav, no -1 to hit for multi shoot and a -2 to AS, making it 5+, usually at close range, makes them your best weapon against his best weapon against you.

If you don't have RBTs, I'd see if he'll let you proxy some. If not, then focus RxB fire on them if he brings 'em. Even the -1 to AS will help. And since he can't take a Lord the most he can bring is one unit, but it will hurt if he does.

I'd rather see those Warriors in one unit of 25 with the Warbanner, with the other unit at minimum 10 as a detatchment to redirect for you. You won't want to take a combined charge from multiple units of Knights to your Warriors. If he's smart he won't charge your BG, so your Warriors will be his prime target. Redirect and flank with a Static 6 and you'll own his knights without needing to do a single wound.

Vipus
08-11-2009, 21:14
Just so you guys know how it went:

Turned out to be a pretty wierd battle. One of my other friends was there also and I wanted him to play with us, so it turned into Bretts vs Dark Elves and Ogres.

On one side of the table some leadbelchers got 30 shots off on his KoTR and managed to score one kill. They charged them, won combat and overran and I managed to get a rear charge on the unit with my assassin killing two resulting in them running off the table. His bowmen then finished off the bulls unit on that side of the table.

Other side of the table was more painful. My bowmen were constantly peppering another KoTR unit whilst wheeling my cold one knights in between terrain to try and set up a flank charge on them. Went well until his pegasus paladin routed and ran down the other ogre unit with the bruiser in. Then my cold one knights failed stupidity which allowed the paladin and knights rape my xbowmen and my sorceress, then allowing some men at arms tie them up in combat until the end of the turn. Game over.

Anyhoo was brilliant fun and great to finally get back into some tabletop!