PDA

View Full Version : Black Dragons

6th and Final Champion
17-05-2005, 03:56
What kind of chapter are they and how do they play(are they CC oriented or shooty). Thanks!

BoomerSub
17-05-2005, 04:59
Mostly CC. Their ossmodula, the implant the screws around with hormone levels and allows for the uptake of a bioceramic powder in their food that bonds to the bones and strengthens them (thus giving them T4) doesn't always work as intended. In a small percentage of cases it causes large bony crests and/or sycthelike structures on the forearms, on the elbows, along the spine, or other places. The afflicted are inducted onto specialized assault squads referred to as the Dragon Claws and are trained to use their deformities effectively.

As I recall their rules can be found in Chapter Approved 2004, or you could just use the trait system and pick the more assault-oriented ones.

-PK

Verergoca
17-05-2005, 09:18
Jup, from what I understand from the piece of fluff i read about them, the best traits would be:

Blessed be the warriors; the deformed are gathered in special assault squads, and furious charge, could be attibuted to the pieces of bone that get stuck into the enemy...

and prehaps also see but dont be seen, it seems they are specialized in stealthy and suddenly attacking

Scythe
17-05-2005, 09:42
In the cursed founding chapter approved section their assault squads got a rending upgrade if I remember correctly (together with the generic rules for cursed founding chapters), so yes, when recreating the chapter with traits, I'd definitely take some assault sqaud beefing traits. Or just find the chapter approved rules, tough those might not be legal everywhere anymore.

6th and Final Champion
17-05-2005, 14:07
Chapter approved stuff is illegal now!? Since when?!

Scythe
17-05-2005, 14:36
I don't know wether the new marine codex invalidated the cursed founding rules (it has for all the other first founding chapters like salamanders, white scars etc), but the cursed founding rules are such rules that usually not always allowed at every tournament.

6th and Final Champion
17-05-2005, 14:50
...Damn...I liked their concept and rules too.....

Scythe
17-05-2005, 15:04
Use traits. Their emphasis on assault squads can easily be translated trough those. And you can still use the older rules for friendly games.

6th and Final Champion
17-05-2005, 15:12
Im curious, how do traits work? I dont own a space marine codex.

Scythe
17-05-2005, 15:32
They are given advantages (for example, give access to furious charge for assault squads, allow marines to take infiltrate upgrade etc), while you have to take a disadvantage as well. You can take 2 matching traits and suffer a single mayor drawback, 1 trait and suffer a minor drawback, or 2 unmatching traits and suffer both a minor and a mayor drawback. The drawbacks aren't that bad tough, minor drawbacks include things like 'no allies', 'no psykers' etc, while the mayor drawbacks usually limit you in certain areas like FA variety, HS variety, Elite variety etc. However these drawbacks are usually easy to work around, especially with a themed army like Black Dragons.

6th and Final Champion
17-05-2005, 15:36
Hmmm, thanks. Ill look into it. Im rally considering dropping wolves and doing Black Dragons.

Seleucus
19-05-2005, 09:27
The 2004 Annual/Chapter Approved rules/traits are 'trial rules' so can only be used with your opponent's permission.

They were written at the time the new codex came out and are compatible.

However, they are unlikely to be allowed in most competitions, so you would need to check each time, and have a 'back up' set of traits from the codex.

The Cursed Founding rules are great fun, and the Black Dragons allow for much converting. There are examples in the Chapter Approved article, and, with the ability to field two new units - Cused Knights (HQ) and Abominations (Elites), your converting skills and game playing can be tested - great fun!