PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Warhammer battles

MrManson
06-11-2009, 21:37
Hi everyone!

Me and a friend of mine is thinking of getting (back) into Warhammer, despite neither of us really having any spare time (me working out-of-town, and him being kind of a professional poker player). Now, to give us any chance of doing this, we're looking at starting quite small, which might enable us to drag along a few other friends as well.

So my question is, are there any Warhammer-rules for smaller engagments, similiar to the old Combat Patrol-rules for 40k? If I remember correctly, I've seen something like this in an old White Dwarf, but I'm not entirely sure. Also, would you recommend rules like this, or do you think it is better to just play with all the rules, but at a low point total, say 500 pts?

Regards
/Manson

SilentCivilian
06-11-2009, 21:54
The generals compedium had rules for warband scale games. Sadly this is no longer available. But small scale games work ok. Fantasy works at most levels. Some armies will suffer at 500pts though so may be worth posting which armies you are interested in.

mweaver
06-11-2009, 22:55
I think the Warbands rules might be of interest to you:

http://www.warfan.net/Warbands.pdf

gormaster
07-11-2009, 01:18
There is also WH skirmish. Everyting moves in skirmish. No ranks ect. There was a small book. Don`t know if you can still get it.

w3rm
07-11-2009, 01:38
warbands is great! its lots of fun especially in campaigns.

Gekiganger
07-11-2009, 01:43
Warbands is fun, playing 500 point games is fantastic if your short on time - also means that you can spend more time making them look pretty if you have spare time when there are no opponents available.

Stuffburger
07-11-2009, 02:44
Warbands is good fun, and works pretty well. I would not recommend skirmish, as the rules at that small a scale kind of break down, making some units more or less useless and others invincible. It can be fun as a one off scenario, though.

mweaver
07-11-2009, 04:28
Skirmish is fun, but it is - as advertised - rules for skirmish games, not for small-scale warhammer games.

MrManson
07-11-2009, 07:59
Thanks for the ideas!
We'll probably try out Warbands (those character archetypes where phenomenal, we're already thinking of bringing them into the other games we play (40k, =I=-munda).)

kardar233
07-11-2009, 09:23
You could try Mordheim; it's an interesting amalgamation of Fantasy rules and out-of-game mechanics. Lots of fun and very few models.

outbreak
08-11-2009, 22:53
I'd try warbands, lifts some restrictions which makes small scale fights hard for some armies but imo small games lack some of the tactical fun.
I'd suggest trying mordheim as it's designed to be played small scale (althoguh you'll need more terrain)

mweaver
09-11-2009, 01:05
Mordheim is a great skirmish game. We have been playing it fairly steadily here since it first came out.

brendel
09-11-2009, 12:36
Yer mordheim is a good game, there were skirmish rules in the old six ed rule book that we use them from time to time, with these restrictions for a 500pts skirmish we follow normal troupe and hero choices for a battle under 2000pts so no lords, the only thing we forgo is units size, no magic items at all just base weapons that your hero can get from his own options, no troups with more than a 4+ save, and only one champion upgrade for each troup chocies and there has to be at least 5 models or more before you can upgrade, we find this makes for an interesting and fun game.