PDA

View Full Version : Is purple associated with Psykers in the IG?

jason_sation
06-11-2009, 23:02
Just wondering because I want to paint up my Astropath and noticed purple on both the Primaris Psyker and Astropath in the book. Just wondering if it's like how blue means Librarian for the SMs.

JHZ
06-11-2009, 23:04
As far as I'm aware, green is the colour of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, which trains all those psychers. So purple might just be the painter trying to tell us something. Or maybe they're hidden Slaaneshi heretics!

Grimbad
06-11-2009, 23:17
I think the Eavy Metal team must have decided that purple suited the rest of the color scheme. You'll note the commissars above the psykers- one has a purple cape, another a purple book. The charging one's sash is a purple-ish yellow (I'm disappointed that the latest commissar models don't all have the sash. Being commissars, you'd expect them to wear the traditional attire with no exceptions, ever). I suppose purple (especially the dark purple they've used) is a rather subdued color, so it doesn't draw the eye, meaning it'll fit well with most schemes. I'd also note that on the astropath and the primaris, they've used it inside the hood and on the interior of the coat (on the lord commissar, too). Being a dark color, purple is well suited to the inside of clothing, where it will emphasize depth and look rather shadowy. It would look weird if the interior was the same color and shade as the exterior, and having a differently colored inside indicates that the clothes are of high quality, suited to important characters. The color is also traditionally associated with royalty, so a particularly fitting color to use on character models.
As an example, look at the red on the commissar with power fist - it's been highlighted up to orange rather than shaded down to purple, so it pops out a lot more, especially against the black trenchcoat. Look at the coat between his legs, and it's more purple- even though it's so bright on the exterior, they've shaded it there because it would look weird for a coat behind and below him to be the same bright red. On the other models, they've just painted it all the purple.

As a less serious reason, if the astropath didn't have the cuffs in a different color, he'd look even more like some old guy in a bathrobe than he already does.

grissom2006
06-11-2009, 23:22
If you want it to be it is.

Lord Cook
07-11-2009, 15:58
Officially, no. The Adeptus Astra Telepathica is traditionally green, but Primaris Psykers and Battle Psyker squads are not part of the Telepathica, so use whatever you like. I have all mine in a pale cobalt blue.

Sojourner
07-11-2009, 20:10
It's the colour of the whole of the Adeptus Terra, isn't it? As well as, IIRC, Battlefleet Solar.