PDA

View Full Version : Carry cases

SirDucki
08-11-2009, 20:47
just moved to a new city and the trek to the Local GW is rather stupid so I was hoping to find a smaller carry case that could fit in a average size bag or backpack.

I'm looking for something that would fit about 50 (ish models) all on foot. Can anyone link me to somthing or just a general idea might help?

thanks
Ducki

toonboy78
08-11-2009, 21:27
k and r multicases are good (i have 2 of them). they come in various sizes

Mannimarco
08-11-2009, 22:05
agreed, if your unsure on what to order give them an email, they seem to be pretty clued up on the scale of GW models, i didnt know what to get so I emailed them my army contents and got an email back a couple of hours later with a selection of foam set options that would suit it

http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/

Doi
09-11-2009, 05:02
Could you go out and buy some foam and a suitably sized tool box (or any container) and make your own?

That's how I'm doing mine and it makes things a lot easier in terms of getting bigger models to fit as I need them (though not something you need to worry about if you've just got infantry sized models).

Doi

starlight
09-11-2009, 05:08
www.charonproductions.com

I have three of their cases, and they have something in your size range, I believe...

EmperorNorton
09-11-2009, 09:20
As another alternative, have a look at the Feldherr MINI plus (http://www.figurecase.com/index.php?language=en&cat=c15_Feldherr-MINI-Plus.html).

EldarWolf
09-11-2009, 14:45
I second the Feldherr Mini Plus, very useful if playing skirmish games. I have two of the 32 figs plus 60mm raster tray for larger figs variety. As my workshop cases fail I shall be replacing them with Feldherr versions.

Onidan
09-11-2009, 15:06
I have the Feldherr Maxi, awesome thing.

The Mini Plus seems great for what you need, though ^^

Ph4lanx
09-11-2009, 18:04
Just bought two KR Multicases and I gotta say I'm 100% impressed with them. I'll be buying more, for sure.

Hicks
09-11-2009, 18:45
www.charonproductions.com

I have three of their cases, and they have something in your size range, I believe...

I also have one of those and it's good quality. I did have problems with the service though, they got the order wrong and ignored my complains for weeks. I had to contact paypal to have them send me the right product.

starlight
09-11-2009, 18:55
That's unusual. :( I've had great service from Andrew every time...

RevEv
09-11-2009, 19:37
I have both Charron and Feldherr cases.

If you are carrying stuff around, especially on public transport, I would back the Charron case. They are sturdy and have good straps.

The Feldherr cases are also fantastic, I have gone for the larger hard cases for transporting more unusually shaped models.

Looking on the GW website the Tactical Backpack is still available,
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300022&prodId=prod1600022

Imperius
10-11-2009, 04:58
In my opinion they've always been just plastic toy soldiers. I just lay them out in layers in a Battleforce kind of box, put some paper towel on it, another layer of models until the box is full. Then I put it in my backpack and done, an inconspicuous way to walk into the Games shop.

Vermin-thing
10-11-2009, 07:11
In my opinion they've always been just plastic toy soldiers. I just lay them out in layers in a Battleforce kind of box, put some paper towel on it, another layer of models until the box is full. Then I put it in my backpack and done, an inconspicuous way to walk into the Games shop.

^
This, but with one of the larger Armytrasport style trays hollowed out. I use a smaller sized GW case for smaller armies. I put my slaves on the bottom, add a layer of the pullout foam (lying flat), then on goes my clanrats, and so on. This works well so long as there's no huge warmachines or anything (bell, PCC...) I place all of my tools, paints, and movement trays in the excess space around the tray.

Hicks
10-11-2009, 17:02

Are your minis carefully painted? I would be very afraid of my minis breaking and the chipping. I spend too much time painting and converting my miniatures to carry them around like that.

RevEv
11-11-2009, 14:26
Agreed - I spend too long painting and converting models to want to treat them in such a cavalier manner.

There are plenty of good, not too geeky, looking protective cases on the market. Which one is the right one depends on what you are intending to do with it.

Bodysnatcher
11-11-2009, 19:21
www.figuresincomfort.co.uk - very good cross compatibility with GW too.

Imperius
11-11-2009, 19:25
Are your minis carefully painted? I would be very afraid of my minis breaking and the chipping. I spend too much time painting and converting my miniatures to carry them around like that.

They are highlighted and shaded up to a competent standard.

Plastic minis do not chip, it doesn't happen. Metal ones do, and for that reason I pad them up a bit more.

I've seen Assault on Black Reach models thrown around the back room of the Gamesworkshop, and when I picked up one particularily hard thrown Space Marine I saw absolutely no damage to the paint or model at all.

Naeni
15-11-2009, 11:18
The links are nice, but it's all just so expensive! There's nothing wrong with cutting grooves into foam and putting it in a container of your choice, be it a box, backback,breifcase, whatever. Hell you can even put them in a carrier bag.

Arador
15-11-2009, 14:59
Plastic minis do not chip, it doesn't happen. Metal ones do, and for that reason I pad them up a bit more.

I've seen Assault on Black Reach models thrown around the back room of the Gamesworkshop, and when I picked up one particularily hard thrown Space Marine I saw absolutely no damage to the paint or model at all.

Do that with Empire Spearmen, friend, and see what happens. Or plastic Cadians. Those minis will be losing bayonets at the very least.

Ozorik
15-11-2009, 15:22
Plastic minis do not chip, it doesn't happen.

They don't chip but they break very easily. As plastics become more finely detailed they also become more fragile due to the larger number of delicate parts. I always use a case for infantry but my vehicles are transported in a cardboard box padded with old t-shirts as they can survive this.

I use a Feldherr case myself; spacious, easy to carry and not that expensive.

The new Mantic games transport system looks very interesting as well The messenger bag (http://www.manticgames.com/).

Its designed for use with their own products but it looks to be a great way of storing and transporting armies. Basically DVD sized (but obvously fatter) cases, which doubles as the retail box, for individual units with a 'laptop' bag specifically designed to transport them securely. Its something that I will be keeping an eye on.

Imperius
15-11-2009, 15:51
Do that with Empire Spearmen, friend, and see what happens. Or plastic Cadians. Those minis will be losing bayonets at the very least.

I've no experience with Empire models, but I've dropped several cadians off the table or out of my hand. The absolutely worst thing that happened to one of my cadians was a bent bayonet due to cloudy with a chance of weighted tanks.

starlight
15-11-2009, 20:50
The links are nice, but it's all just so expensive! There's nothing wrong with cutting grooves into foam and putting it in a container of your choice, be it a box, backback,breifcase, whatever. Hell you can even put them in a carrier bag.

Given the overall cost of your army, a decent case is a worthwhile investment... :)

Rick Blaine
16-11-2009, 16:07
Given the overall cost of your army, a decent case is a worthwhile investment... :)

Yeah, but few items on this planet are overpriced more than carry case foam. Next time I need a handful of foam trays, I'll just buy a mattress and cut it up :rolleyes:

starlight
16-11-2009, 18:58
So buy the empty case and cut your own foam... :p

And I'll see you your miniatures carry case foam and raise you my camera gear cases...:eek: What most people seem to think is outrageous pricing for miniatures carrying case is 25%-35% of my better camera gear cases... Indeed, *all* of my miniatures carrying cases cost less than my *one* big camera gear case. :eek:

Good cases are like good boots...worth it every time... :D

N810
16-11-2009, 19:22
This seems like a cheap place to buy foam....
http://www.uline.com/BL_865/Soft-Foam

Poseidal
17-11-2009, 15:05
Another advocate of KR cases here. They're sized really well, and the foam is nice.

dangermouse425
17-11-2009, 15:27
I've heard good things about KR, my mate has got one, they seem ace.
I'm getting one this weekend!

PatrikW
17-11-2009, 16:55
agreed, if your unsure on what to order give them an email, they seem to be pretty clued up on the scale of GW models, i didnt know what to get so I emailed them my army contents and got an email back a couple of hours later with a selection of foam set options that would suit it

http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/

I have to support this one here, great cases.

Rick Blaine
19-11-2009, 22:50
So I decided to put my money where my mouth is. I got two 200x100 cm sheets of mattress foam, 3 cm and 1 cm thick. Together with a can of spray glue, this set me back 40 euro, or about $60. That's about 8 Sabol trays or 3 Battlefoam trays worth.

Half an hour of work with a black marker and a sharp hobby knife yielded this:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8750/traypi.jpg
This a Sabol-sized tray. I can make another 29 of them with the foam I have. Do the math...

For transport, I can buy a strong cardboard crate from IKEA for almost nothing.

orkz222
20-11-2009, 05:11
Half an hour of work with a black marker and a sharp hobby knife yielded this:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8750/traypi.jpg
This a Sabol-sized tray. I can make another 29 of them with the foam I have. Do the math...

For transport, I can buy a strong cardboard crate from IKEA for almost nothing.

wow DIY :eek: nice.

I have a Intersponge bag, the bag is crappy... a few yrs of low usage and the inner wall had came off. I may try the battlefoam bag if I manage to save some $.