PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question?

fox-hound
09-11-2009, 01:56
How long have you been playing 40k and do you still enjoy it as much?

Operative
09-11-2009, 02:00
Three years thus far, and I still enjoy it.

On a different note, your signature says "Chunk Norris".

fox-hound
09-11-2009, 02:08
Three years thus far, and I still enjoy it.

On a different note, your signature says "Chunk Norris".

Haha! yeah your right, I'll change it. When Chuck Norris does push-ups he pushs the Earth down! :D

Tethylis
09-11-2009, 02:27
Started playing with 2nd edition, around 94ish. Did'nt like it when they switched around to 3rd ed, infact our group stuck with 2nd untill 4th came out. I prob enjoy it more now than did back then, different players and slightly better written rules now leads to less arguments. My original Eldar force now tops out at 13k, Nids & Orks come in at about 5k each, Necrons at 6.5k and my latest force the dreaded Space Marines (yes the xenos sold out) at 8k

chromedog
09-11-2009, 04:58
22 years.

Yes. If I didn't, it would have been sold off years ago.

My enjoyment is not purely linked to winning, either (see above).

captain_shrike
09-11-2009, 05:04
I've been involved since LOTR Return of the King came out, so thats.....7 years? I quickly turned my attention to 40K, but have yet to have finished painting a squad. I just buy stuff and go yeah I have one of those, theyre cool :p

FashaTheDog
09-11-2009, 05:43
Back in the day Rhinos used to come in three packs and vehicles had wounds. Back then Genestealers had nothing to do with Tyranids but sci-fi slave centaurs did.

The model that got me into Rogue Trader was the Marine with a shuriken cataput. Bought him to go with plastic ones in the boxes and the rules. The 3rd edition Fantasy was more interesting and the Skeleton Army and Nightmare Legion formed the basis of that Undead army with the rules.

I then moved into 2nd edition for a while before taking a break and coming back at the end of that edition and have seen 3rd and 4th through from start to end. I admit that each edition have things I liked about them and things I did not. Rogue Trader felt far different from Herohammer and the current trio of similar editions is interesting as the game mechanics remain largely the same compared to the large leaps between the others. Instead of relearning the game with a new edition, we tweak what we already know. Overall I've enjoyed all the editions and the background that has since grown like real world mythology does. Do I enjoy it as much as when I first began? Yes and no. The game then was smaller and almost required a GM. Now there is far less I can do but the scale has been ramped up and a GM is necessary for those "what-a-twist" games. Heck, since Rogue Trader, the Movement (sort of), Cool, Willpower, and Intelligence stats have all gone away. Even the variety of dice and templates has dropped significantly as well as many races (Slannn) and creatures (Ambull), one of which was rather fleshed out (Squats). Instead the battles that were once confined to Space Marine and later Epic then Epic Armageddon and now even Adeptus Titanicus and the later Titan Legions, can all be played in 40K. So really the game is vastly different and I enjoy it as much, although just not the same way as before.

Now I am just getting back into Fantasy; huge change from 3rd, can't believe how weak magic is now! But that's a topic for a different board...

Schultzhoffen
09-11-2009, 07:27
8 years. Love it more now than when I first started.

The Orange
09-11-2009, 08:42
Started 40k in '95 so it's been almost 15 years (on and off). Am I as happy with it now, no not really.

Thud
09-11-2009, 08:53
Started around the time when 3rd edition was released, so about 10-11 years.

I enjoy 40k more now than when I first started; especially the list building and army planning aspects of the hobby. I also have a much more relaxed attitude to winning. When I first started everything revolved around beating my friends, but now I can enjoy being tabled every now and then. ;)

The Red Scourge
09-11-2009, 08:58
Started with Rogue Trader and played from 89-93.

I'm now getting back with the Ordo Malleus army, I was never able to afford :)

Messiahnide
09-11-2009, 09:04
started in 95, so 14yrs ish walked in the shop by an off chance and been hooked since.

am I happy with it? yeah and no, GW doesnt have the same feel as it did 10 years ago, with all the company changes and going ons etc but the kits are getting really nice and the people i game with havnt changed so im 50/50 with it really........infact 40/60

sigur
09-11-2009, 09:10
I started around easter 1995 if i remember correctly. Never played that much. Collecting an IG army was a chore for me back then but I wanted to have a full (painted) army before i really played so I never played much in 2nd edition. Also, none of my friends played so it was kinda hard. Hated 3rd edition with a passion when it came out (and still do) but ironically, it brought more people into the game around here so I had a lot of games in 3rd edition.

I guess it's fun (unless one army beats the other one without any problems) but then I only play with friends. Unfortunately they insist in having other time consuming hobbies as well so I actually very rarely play. I think I had one game in 2009.

devlin
09-11-2009, 09:31
22 years on and off,i really like the current rules set

LonelyPath
09-11-2009, 10:33
Since Rogue Trader was released, so 22 years now. However, I have taken 2 breaks away from the game (each lasting 1 or 2 years) and I also still very much enjoy the game.

Vanger
09-11-2009, 10:57
A lot of oldtimer responses in the thread :)

I play since 2005. Still enjoy it.

Karhedron
09-11-2009, 11:03
I have been playing since RT days. Like any long-term relationship it has its ups and downs but mostly they are ups.

The game I play bears little relationship to its 1st incarnation beyond some fluff and design resemblances but is still fun (moreso in many ways). I will always have a soft spot for 2nd editiona nd the regular 3000-point games I used to play. It could decend into hero-hammer fairly easily but my opponent could do the same so we still had fun.

LonelyPath
09-11-2009, 11:48
A lot of oldtimer responses in the thread :)

It's not that we're old, it's that everyone else is getting younger, lol.

laudarkul
09-11-2009, 12:19
Almost 1year and a half and still enjoy it. It's perfect and I'm going to play more then enough (years and years).

don_mondo
09-11-2009, 15:22
'95, when a buddy who was an Outrider gave me a 2nd ed starter box. And yeah, still enjoy it.

Doomseer
09-11-2009, 15:36
I've been playing since '88! I started with Rogue Trader when I started Secondary school aged 11.

I've drifted in and out from time to time, usually swapping between 40K and Fantasy. I really enjoy 40K but I'm going through a bad patch at the moment. The reason for this isn't the game, it's the opponents! I have become bored with player attitudes and the over competitiveness that seems to now be the norm - even in formally friendly environments.

I miss the days when people picked their armies based on a theme or narrative, now it's all based on their perceived power and performance. I'm not having a go and I'm not bitter, I just need a break from people picking holes in my army composition because the Internet says my choices are weak!

I'm hiding out in fantasy for a bit and I'll return to 40K and love it again soon!

primarch111
09-11-2009, 18:28
22 years and counting. Still cannot get enough and will most likely pass away at my painting/gaming table.

grissom2006
09-11-2009, 18:31
Since 1987 had plenty of ups and downs the main down being the 3rd Edition when it came to the Codices.

JonnyX
09-11-2009, 19:11
6 years, still going strong, only 2 armies in 6 years

LKHERO
09-11-2009, 19:29
7 years now.. and a lot of money down GW's money drain.

brightblade
09-11-2009, 19:51
Since RT with a little break.

All good. Just like it more and more...:)

blackcherry
09-11-2009, 20:01
Nearly ten years now, if not longer. Before that I guess what got me into it was painting lots of airfix kits and playing heroquest! As for happy with the game, yeah I think I am. Care less about winning anymore and present circumstances mean that if I get a game in every 6 months I'm very lucky!

But yeah, I like the game. Having time to explore other systems has really made me appriciate 40K more.

dude37
09-11-2009, 20:08
i've only played 2 years but im likin it more and more.:D

Keebrev
09-11-2009, 20:08
I have only been collecting for a year. Told myself not to get involved many a time. I've been exposed to warhammer since 1988 or so, since then it has crossed my path several times. Never did I yield, but last year it finally happened. I got myself some 40k models. What I knew would happen did happen, I was instantly hooked. Oh well....

FashaTheDog
10-11-2009, 05:25
Of the 28 people thus far, 10 of them started with Rogue Trader and 5 picked it up during second edition. So if the internet is anything to go by then 1/3 of all 40K players began during Rogue Trader. Yet somehow I doubt even a quarter of my gaming group even played 2nd edition.

fox-hound
10-11-2009, 14:26
I've been into 40k about a year, but I have played mini/war games like starwars miniatures and hero clix for about 6 years! I've enjoyed this game much more then anything else and plan to play until I die!

Messiahnide
11-11-2009, 01:50
It's not that we're old, it's that everyone else is getting younger, lol.

Well put sir.

nightgant98c
17-11-2009, 19:55
About five years, and I really don't enjoy it as much as I did. Can't put my finger on why, but that's how it is.

S_A_T_S
17-11-2009, 20:06
About 15 years. Dunno about "as much", more "in a different way". It's changed too much to like the same way. Since starting 40k, I've played D&D, RTS computer games, seen a hell of a lot more sci-fi films, and mainly grown up and got a job. Now I control my time and earn my own money to spend. I can see it from a different perspective than I did 15 years, 10 years, even 5 years ago.

Short answer: Yes.

Vet Sergeant Leander
17-11-2009, 20:35
First introduction was Hero Quest around 1990. Then started playing spacemarine around 92. Caught the 40k bug just on the tail end of RT before 2nd ed came out and I think I have every issue of White Dwarf from about August 1992 onwards. Since then I've owned and played every system from Warhammer quest, bloodbowl, Man O War, Tyranid Attacks, Gorka Morka. oh man how my wallet weeps.

But I've enjoyed every minute. These days I'm probably more about the painting and modelling as well as building scenery for different clubs that I've been involved with. As far as the gaming I still get the occasional game in and go to the annaul local tourney, but working a 6 day week is real kick in the nads as far as hobby time goes.

LonelyPath
17-11-2009, 21:45
Well put sir.

Thank you very much :)

spacewolf_sven
17-11-2009, 23:21
call it two years,and not looking like stopping