PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a pure Chaos Armour force?

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 17:04
I am looking into playing WHFB. The main reason for me is models.
And my favourites at the moment are all the heavily armoured Warriors of Chaos.
Whould it be possible and useable to run a Chaos Armour force?
NO beasts, Marauders or anything without Chaos armour?

What are your thoughts or comments?

Desert Rain
09-11-2009, 17:14
It could work I guess. You will hit everything in your way very hard, but you will be very vulnerable to flank charges, which are very bad, since you will have so few models achieving a flank charge wouldn't be very difficult for your opponent. It can work, but I would recommend adding some hounds and or horsemen for protecting your flanks and give you a bit more tactical options beyond hitting the enemy really hard in the head.

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 17:17
I do like the sound of that tactic though. Its what I think WoC would do. Storm forward and destroy them.
Not keen on using hounds or any horsemen that arnt Chaos Knights.
Like I said, Its all about the models for me

TheSil
09-11-2009, 17:32
I guess it might work
A couple of big units of Chaos Warriors with heroes in them (6x3 or bigger), maybe also a few small ones as support.
Chaos Knights, Warshrines, or Chariots to protect flanks

You might even want to add a few very small Forsaken units if you want to fill the role that hounds and other small fast units usually take

Chosen warriors would be characterful, but I guess you need every single special choice you have compensating for your one and only type of core troops, so I would drop them because of their similarity to regular Warriors

Marks of chaos can protect you a bit and heroes can be quite self sufficient to fight if you put them on nasty mounts.
Even the Mages wear chaos armour so feel free to add a few to add firepower...

So yes, it might work! You might feel the lack of hounds and marauders a bit limiting regarding your options and effectiveness, but if you like it, why should that stop you? :)

I am sure you will bash a few heads in anyway

CraftworldsRus
09-11-2009, 17:34
Is the Hellcannon an option? If so, you could use one or two of them for flank protection. Your list will not be the most effectual, but I am sure you will win games. If you packed twin hell cannons, along with a strong magic phase, you could have a decent bit of ranged power. Another option is to take Sigvald to add maneuverability over terrain to a unit of Warriors, and wander through woods and such to get at the foes weak points.

I would also at least give thought to dogs, because you could do this- http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/witcher/images/thumb/7/7b/Bestiary_Armored_hound_full.png/300px-Bestiary_Armored_hound_full.png

Nice and easy with plasticard.

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 17:45
Hellcannnons may not have Chaos Armour but they look like they do on the cannon and crew. So they would be included.
Just not keen on the idea of dogs in a Warrior only force

Enigmatik1
09-11-2009, 17:55
What about Chaos Ogres? They can equip Chaos Armor and they'd add a little more intermediate speed to your list at the same time. Hellcannons are always good decisions. And if you're going to include Chosen there is absolutely no reason that I can think of not to include a Warshrine or two, unless you just can't come up with a model for it (or your opponents are hateful and won't let you proxy one).

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 17:59
I can think of how to make a Warshrine already. And Ogres would be fun with some heavily converted armour

blackjack
09-11-2009, 18:09
go dragon ogers over chaos ogers.

Enigmatik1
09-11-2009, 18:10
Cool deal.

I would suggest Dragon Ogres, but I don't remember if they can equip heavy armor or not (their scaly skin gives the equivalent of Chaos Armor when combined with standard, heavy armor iirc). If you're a good converter (which I sense you may be), you could probably make your own that look heavily armored and infinitely better than the current models.

Too bad you can't give Giants Chaos Armor! That would rock!

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 18:30
I have seen a Chaos Armoured giant though. It looked great

grailknight
09-11-2009, 18:52
yeah it can work you just have to pick you fights and watch your flanks, knights and ogres will provide speed and take some attention away from your blocks as they move towards enemy units.

O&G'sRule
09-11-2009, 19:18
It has a big problem with certain opponents, fanatics are devastating to that type of army as are other high strength armour piercing weapons, especially if theyre shooting like jezzails or bolt throwers or even cannons. I know someone that plays a similar army, but he does use alot of dogs as a screen, and to go after artillery. The other issue is you tend to finish setting up long before your opponent, which gives your opponent the ability to pick and choose his fights more, again lots of dogs sorts this

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 19:24
I may have to give it a try and see how it goes

Sirroelivan
09-11-2009, 22:54
I wouldn't throw down dogs though, they fulfil far to useful tasks in the Warriors of Chaos army, and especially when you're not using fast cav, you need them.

mrtn
10-11-2009, 09:52
Think about using Banner of the Gods on a BSB.

TrojanWolf
10-11-2009, 11:21
I don't see why not. I only use non Chaos armoured models if I really need to fill in another core choice and need the points for other stuff. Except when the model in question is a Hellcannon.

Tokamak
10-11-2009, 12:00
I wouldn't throw down dogs though, they fulfil far to useful tasks in the Warriors of Chaos army, and especially when you're not using fast cav, you need them.

No, that's the fun of a theme, you don't need anything and need to be more creative to make things work.

hendybadger
10-11-2009, 16:56
No, that's the fun of a theme, you don't need anything and need to be more creative to make things work.

Thats what I like about themed armies. You sacrifice certain tactics just so they look soo much cooler

Drakcore Bloodtear
10-11-2009, 17:51
I tried it, got boring after 2 games
But like what everyone eles has said take hounds to protected your flanks and they can be fluffy I can imagen an army of chaos warriors going to battle with their dogs :D

hendybadger
10-11-2009, 21:36
Fluff isnt that much of a thought for me. I go for visual not fluffy

ChaosVC
11-11-2009, 02:59
Visually, it will look impressive if your eye sight is as small as the size of the army you are going to field. Visually if you have a normal eye sight it will look unimpressive as an army.

Jind_Singh
11-11-2009, 07:50
you can get dragon ogres made well by simply taking chaos horse bodies, the ogre kindgom iron gut torso fits very well over the horse body.
looks solid - though i would siggest very small green stuffing to add occasional scales here and there, and do something with the tail to make it look dragon like

They have armour and add tactical options to your list.
Chaos ogres in chaos armour again add options to your list
chaos warriors/knights are wicked, but forsaken and warshrines are a must
at this stage i say forget chariots unless with a character as you'll need all your special choices for the above
Modelling chaos armour on a giant is fun, but kind of makes me sad too as they dont get any saves - shame chaos giants cant do that as I loved what they did in that white dwarf battle rep (Empire release issue)
You will find that themed armies are great though