PDA

View Full Version : Which Marine Chapter to go for?

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 17:23
I have a Grey Knights force at the moment.
I would like to expand into a second force of Marines.
But which Chapter to go for?
And why?

devlin
09-11-2009, 17:29
i play a few chapters

1:imperial fists love the old space marine book and lysander is a rock plus the whole siege thing is cool and you cant beat yellow
2:white scars,cool fluff and loads of bikes are so much fun and would be a good support unit for you knights
3:ravenwing same as above really with some nice upgrade parts
4:space wolves mean lean fighting machines with alot of cool characters

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 17:33
Fists and Scars dont really appeal to me. Mailny because of the white and yellow.
I dont know much about the Ravenwing.
Armt Space Wolves everywhere at the mo?

devlin
09-11-2009, 17:35
maybe darkangels then as you could get the fast attack stuff that the grey knights dont have and plus you have the death wing too

mightymconeshot
09-11-2009, 17:36
haha just wait two months and then the bandwagoners will be playing nids. no are you going to use them together or just a seperate ones. if seperate i would say a bike list as those are really fun to play against. i dont know with but the one game i played against them was awesome. if togther then i would say wolves because both are cc orineted and the long fangs and cheap grey hunters will allow you to have a decent fire base which arent half bad in cc.

Cleveland
09-11-2009, 17:46
hard to answer this question, as it depends on your playing style...the closest thing to a Grey Knights for is a generic Marine army, such as Ultramarines, as they have decent Termies and good tactical squads...

I prefer Blood Angels, as I like close combat armies...the fact that Assault squads are considered Troops choices makes it a force that appeals to me, but I play a very assault oriented force in just about every army I play (with the exception of my Tau)...

plus, if the rumors are true, the Blood Angels should be the Marine force coming out next year, so it might be a good time to get in on that army now, assuming you can find the chapter specific figs at the moment...

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 17:48
Off Topic- WOuld I be a bandwagoner because my Nids anre in stasis until the nex Dex?

Back on- The grey doesnt seem like striking sceme to me

hard to answer this question, as it depends on your playing style...the closest thing to a Grey Knights for is a generic Marine army, such as Ultramarines, as they have decent Termies and good tactical squads...

I prefer Blood Angels, as I like close combat armies...the fact that Assault squads are considered Troops choices makes it a force that appeals to me, but I play a very assault oriented force in just about every army I play (with the exception of my Tau)...

plus, if the rumors are true, the Blood Angels should be the Marine force coming out next year, so it might be a good time to get in on that army now, assuming you can find the chapter specific figs at the moment...

I am tempted by BA. The red looks nasty! And I had a BA force when I was alot younger

bigcheese76
09-11-2009, 18:23
If it was me I wouldn't play a marine army from the marine codex itself but from either the Dark Angels or the Black Templars codex as they just have more about them and every other 40k player doesnt have that army, like with marines. if you do go for for the marine codex though a full bike army or full deep strike army could be fun.

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 18:40
What are the non-codex chapters? And how are they game and model wise?

What if I kept them away from the GKs and just asked about a SM chapter as a stand alone force?

Which chapter and why?

borag manhunter
09-11-2009, 20:14
why dont you make your own chapter?
that way you can use all the awesome special characters and come up with your own way of battling instead of trying to fit with an exsisting chapters fluff
also you get to have alot more freedom when coming up with your own background

Raibaru
09-11-2009, 20:52
Well if you want to play an army that lore-wise would kill your grey knights after they've fulfilled their purpose, Dark Angels.

If you want assault, you got Space Wolves and BA, but if you choose BA I'd buy spacehulk for the absolutely killer models, and paint them while you wait till next year for their codex to be released. Space wolves are out now and are fun from what I hear.

If you want complete freedom just make up your own chapter and then use other people's codex whenever you feel like playing something a little different.

Personally, I like the lore behind the Dark Angels, and the idea behind the Deathwing so that's the one I'd personally choose. Only downside to deathwing is the white is an absolute pain to paint. But I've seen some people handle white exceptionally well and I really like the way they turned out.

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 20:57
I have Space Hulk so that could be a good start.

LonelyPath
09-11-2009, 21:05
I quite recommend Dark Angels, they may not have the strongest codex right now, but I've found that either Deathwing or ravenwing with Grey Knight allies can prove to be a troublesome foe. Plus grey knights have teleporting troops in fat attack to make us of the RW teleport homers. Deathwing combined with a GK hero (plus bodyguard) and a squad of PAGK can also prove useful if you take psycannons on the PAGK and keep them around a home objective. Just please, if you do decide to collect Dark Angels, use their actual codex, lol.

starlight
09-11-2009, 21:24
A slightly different approach...

My Legio Phoenix Templars are a pre-Second Founding Salamander Successor force. However, each Century (generally equivalent to a Codex Company) uses a different set of Marine rules. :)

Write your own background and have it do whatever you want. :)

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 21:38
I would rather expand on something thats there already.

starlight
09-11-2009, 21:50
Which is exactly what I did... :p

Zanzibarthefirst
09-11-2009, 21:50
What abvout Red Hunters, i think thats the name. THey are a chapter that works very closely with the Inquistion which would fit well with your current force. They featured in the latest Vrak book

hendybadger
09-11-2009, 22:02
I have been trying to find some info on the Red Hunters on B+C.
Theres just something about marines in red. Blue is abit comman. And not keen on green

Zanzibarthefirst
09-11-2009, 22:25
lexicanum doesn't hace anything on them so Vraks is possibly the best source

Red Hunters

Origins

The Red Hunters were founded in M39 as one of the 25th Founding. Unlike most of the more “traditional” chapters that came from that Founding, the Red Hunters were charged with carrying out Imperator Odium, or The Emperor's Hatred. The Lords of Terra used their influence to mold the Red Hunters into a Chapter that, while still independent, works very closely with the three Inquisitorial orders.

Colors

Armor: Red armor with yellow trim

Chapter Symbol: A white skull with a black Inquisitorial “I” imposed over top

Home world

According to Imperial records, the Red Hunters are listed as having a home planet of Saint Zhu's Fortress, a fortified monastery planet, however the entire chapter has rarely set foot upon it. Instead, the Red Hunters are roughly divided into three forces based out of 2 small battle fleets and an ancient mobile/orbital station known as Cubile Concussio, or the Nest of Oppression. The two fleets are dispatched as needed for quick response, where as the station is used as a mobile headquarters and base for extended deployments.

The Cubile Concussio is a warp travel enabled, fully autonomous space station. The techpriests of Mars theorize that it was created during the climax of the Dark Age of Technolgy. In M38, an Adeptus Mechanicus exploratory fleet found the abandoned station orbiting a dim, cold system out in the Halo Stars. The entire station was empty and devoid of all occupants; its many decaying systems still trying to run it's looped routines. From what little data that could be pieced together from the stations corroded and disintegrating memory core, the station seemed to have some sort of catastrophic AI problem that caused the entire station to enter the Warp and eventually drop out in the Halo Stars where it sat until discovery. Whatever else could have been learned was destroyed when the Fabricator General learned that the station and its STC templates could be reclaimed without the AI being necessary. As it pleaded for it's survival, the Fabricator General signed the Apparatus Effectus – an execution warrant for the AI personality – and the station was fully under Imperial control. After 2 centuries of retrofits and remodeling and fifty straight years of rites and sacraments, the newly christened station was finalized, launched, and given over to the Red Hunters and their chapter servants.

Besides the largest of the three groups of Red Hunters, the station itself houses thousands of servants of all sorts. From navigators, defensive troops, and psykers, to scribes, priests, and researchers; the support staff of the station works in three shifts around the clock to make sure that the Red Hunters and their guests from the various branches of the Inquisition can complete their tasks. Because most of the station is automated and self sufficient, and because of the unimaginable amount of servitors that handle anything else, this actually allows the non-Astartes staff to live in relative comfort and safety working standard shifts and allows the Red Hunters to only accept the best of the best to pledge their lives to the chapter from the masses that clamor for the few positions that open up every year (even if the codes of conduct and constant visitation of Inquisitors makes the station seem down right puritan).

History

The Red Hunters were formed in M39 as part of the 25th founding in response to independent petitioning and complaints from the three branches of the Imperial Inquisition of not having full time access to Adeptus Astartes level troops whenever needed. While Inquisitors have the ability to indoctrinate Space Marines from chapters, the Astartes are under no obligation to help an Inquisitor in their quests. This has led to many small wars and military actions and has spread no small amount of mistrust between the Inquisition and some chapters of the Adeptus Astartes. Couple this with the fact that what elite troops the Inquisition branches do have access too are limited in number (Grey Knights, Adeptus Sororitas, and the Deathwatch) and it's easy to see why the High Lords decided to address this problem.

After the cultivation of the geneseed and implantation in to the first 1000 marines, the High Lords decided to keep the Red Hunters's creation low key. Their first missions were small actions supporting the Ordo Hereticus when Battle Sisters were unable to respond. As the centuries rolled on, the Red Hunters have engaged in more and more, and larger and larger battles.

Their creation was not without controversy, however. Many saw their inception as a political move to appease favorite members of the Inquisition. Some even spoke of the dangerous precedence of having an entire Chapter being subservient to the Inquisition of hearkening back to the days of the Heresy by having too much power availible to one group. To put critics to ease, the High Lords selected as the Red Hunters Chapter Master Bekkor Ver Straat, the former 10th Company Captian of the Mentor Legion. Seen by many as a fair and unbiased individual, Bekkor had no ties to the Inquistion and was seen as a good balancing agent. The Red Hunters would be lead by someone that would carefully lead the chapter in their mission to assist the Inquisition when needed, yet not be swayed into being controlled by them, thus staying independent. So far, few have had any complaints and most fears of Inquisitorial control have been put to rest.

Description

Due to the Red Hunter's home planet being a bureaucratic technicality, they instead recruit from hundreds of different worlds. Most recruits tend to come from hive worlds and other more urban planets, though recruits from feral and death world cultures are not unheard of. Most recruits come to the Red Hunters' attention either by priests and missionaries that have contacts with the Inquisition or the Red Hunters, or they're taken by the Red Hunters from survivors or other natives they come in contact with on their missions.

Because the Red Hunters are inducted into Inquisitorial forces on a regular basis, they tend to see more action against rogue psykers and cultists and thus, tend to recruit young men that are older than the average. The average Red Hunter started at the age of 17. This means that there are more rejections and deaths from bad integration of the gene seed and other organs and hormone therapies. However, it also tends to make for a more mature and educated Space Marine. Their trials are varied and usually unique affairs that are done at where ever planet they're picking up recruits, carried out by a Chaplin. Beyond these, their indoctrination and training fall under the proscribed methods found in the Codex Astartes.

Contrary to belief the Red Hunters are not over-zealous fanatics. While its true that they are pious and very religious, they lack the strict fanaticism and fundamentalism that many other devout chapters show. Every brother is expected to be literate and very well read in a wide variety of topics. All of them are experts in one or two fields and have a very expansive knowledge in many other topics. Amongst the Red Hunters, you can find brothers who are experts in everything from the latest scientific discoveries and theories to arguing and writing about new theological insights with in the Imperial Creed. In fact, many of the brothers who study theology are allowed to read things that normal citizens would be purged for possessing and argue topics that would be considered apostasy.

However, on the battlefield the Red Hunters show no mercy or quarter to the enemies of Mankind. For all their knowledge and learning, they take their warfare very seriously and gladly destroy traitors, demons, and cultists in the name of the Emperor.

Organization

The chapter consists of about a thousand brothers, give or take, at any given time. Instead of a strict organization as defined by the Codex Astartes, the Red Hunters are divided into three roughly equal forces called strike groups. These consist of one full battle company, one devastator company, one assault company and a command section above them. The remaining veterans and scouts are assigned as needed with some left in reserves. Within the three divisions, squads are divided up normally.

Chapter Master Ver Straat leads the first strike group stationed at the Cubile Concussio. The other two are lead by Capitan Graal Percival, from the battle cruiser Sanctified, and Capitan Rho Hex, from the battle cruiser Grief of Heretics.

The Red Hunters typically respond only to calls from the Inquisition for support and Assistance. That's not to say they won't respond to other calls for assistance, or respond to requests from Terra or other chapters, but in these cases they will assist long enough for reinforcements to arrive and leave as soon as possible.

Notable Persona and Allies

Chapter Master Bekkor Ver Straat

Capitan Graal Percival

Capitan Rho Hex

Found this though its not canon. here's the link if you want to read any more http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=395069

starlight
09-11-2009, 22:41
Is that based on anything from GW, because it reads like fanfic... :(

Zanzibarthefirst
09-11-2009, 22:52
Is that based on anything from GW, because it reads like fanfic... :(

its fanfic but its better than nothing I suppose, well not nothing, just very little, Vraks doesn't exactly give you much except thatexcept the Red Hunters all got killed. IIRC the Red Hunters detachment in Vraks were a drop pod assault force

hendybadger
10-11-2009, 16:54
Did all of them die? Or just the ones that were on Vraks?