PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Inquisitors

Dark_Templar
09-11-2009, 21:22
What I am wanting to know is whether or not there are any reports of Inquisitors being overcome by chaos? I am not a chaos player, but have a Black Templars army which I am modelling to show the effects of taint, and love some of the inquisition models, and was curious as to whether there is much fluff about them being tainted themselves?

Any help would be great.

Tarian
09-11-2009, 21:24
Yes there are, Inquisitors fall a lot, as their the ones closest to Chaos. They do it for different reasons, though the most common seems to be that they read things they shouldn't have read, or decided to use the enemy's weapons against them.

devlin
09-11-2009, 21:26
i think its normally from using tainted weopons/artefacts or daemonhosts etc

Cognitave
09-11-2009, 21:27
Yes there are, Inquisitors fall a lot, as their the ones closest to Chaos. They do it for different reasons, though the most common seems to be that they read things they shouldn't have read, or decided to use the enemy's weapons against them.

The path of Chaos begins with good intent...

I think the borderline is inquisitors using Daemonhosts to fight. Any farther than that, and it's heresy.

Griffindale
09-11-2009, 21:27
Making sure everyone is "chaos-ey" enough?

Tarian
09-11-2009, 21:28
The path of Chaos begins with good intent...

I think the borderline is inquisitors using Daemonhosts to fight. Any farther than that, and it's heresy.

Well, except for the mass murdering psychotics who just like to see things bleed.

Then again, that can be said for most of the WH40K races, replace bleed with death of choice... burn, drain souls, etc.

Lord Inquisitor
09-11-2009, 21:39
Bear in mind that with Inquisitors, these things are rarely clear cut. An Inquisitor can use a Daemonhost against Chaos, yet still be declared a Chaos-consorting heretic by a puritan Inquisitor.

That said, there are certainly Inquisitors that have completely, totally turned to Chaos, sure. Off the top of my head, there was one in the novel Grey Knights.

Dark_Templar
09-11-2009, 21:44
This is awesome guys. Thanks heaps. I really wanted to have one in my army, simply because of the lovely models that are out there (especially the FW Inquisitor), and I can work it into my fluff pretty easily.

All the best.

DT.

Tarian
09-11-2009, 21:47
I think Inquisitor Rex would be "disgruntled" if you were to use his model for a Chaos Inquisitor! (That is a nice model though)

LonelyPath
09-11-2009, 22:03
Forge World have some nice rogue psykers that would make good tainted inquisitors with a little work, I've used them as inquisitorial henchmen before now. Chaos sorcerers (including the fantasy ones) would also work in the role, again with a little work if you don't want them overly chaosy.

Inquisitor Kallus
09-11-2009, 22:03
If you get the chance, try to get hold of the Inquisitor rulebook. It has some great backgroumd about Inquisitorial factions such as Amalthians and Thorians, the differences between Puritans and Radicals, and some characterful 'Inquisitorial personalities' that can provide a wealth of inspiration whilst detailing the Ordos and the different ways in which the Inquisition fights its enemies. I love the way they are a complete contrast to how people 'act' in society in the present day, with the young Inquisitors tending to be Puritanical, structured and disciplined and older Inquisitors tending to be more susceptible to the taint of chaos the further their careers progress.....

Mannimarco
09-11-2009, 22:14
theres kessel and lechtenstein and quixos to name 3, i believe they all started out as good guys trying to use chaos to fight chaos

mightymconeshot
09-11-2009, 22:18
the esienhorn series this plays a big part of his relationship with cherabule when he turns to chaos. also there is a quote that is something like ," that all inquisitors fall it is only how long it takes."
please excuse my spelling mistakes and lack of a direct quote.

Dark_Templar
09-11-2009, 22:18
I think Inquisitor Rex would be "disgruntled" if you were to use his model for a Chaos Inquisitor! (That is a nice model though)

Yeah, I thought the same thing, lol, but I am sure he would get over it.

I just cannot find any of the GW Inquisitors that look as badass as that. As I mentioned though, the chapter is not full chaos based, they are simply showing signs of the chaos influence finally hitting them.

Logarithm Udgaur
09-11-2009, 22:20
It happens all the time, but any reports of it happening are suppressed by the Inquisition.

Dark_Templar
09-11-2009, 22:27
If you get the chance, try to get hold of the Inquisitor rulebook. It has some great backgroumd about Inquisitorial factions such as Amalthians and Thorians, the differences between Puritans and Radicals, and some characterful 'Inquisitorial personalities' that can provide a wealth of inspiration whilst detailing the Ordos and the different ways in which the Inquisition fights its enemies. I love the way they are a complete contrast to how people 'act' in society in the present day, with the young Inquisitors tending to be Puritanical, structured and disciplined and older Inquisitors tending to be more susceptible to the taint of chaos the further their careers progress.....

Thanks, I will look into that. I have been considering getting the two Ordos codices for a while.

I know the old books are pretty bare bones, but hopefully there is enough in there to warrant the purchase.

Lord Inquisitor
09-11-2009, 22:29
Note the distinction between "radical Horusian Inquisitor" and "Fallen Inquisitor." One uses Chaos against itself (so, Eisenhorn using Cherubael), and continues to do the Emperor's Work - whether endorsed or even condemned by the Inquisition as a whole - while the other is a fully-fledged Chaos-worshipper ex-Inquisitor, such as Valinov.

Arakanis
09-11-2009, 22:45
I believe the Dark Heresy books have a lot about the various factions and degrees of Inquisitors, and just exactly how one of them becomes either tainted by a Chaos or an outright servant of the Ruinous Powers.

And yes, it almost always starts with "Fighting Fire With Fire"

mightymconeshot
09-11-2009, 23:23
eisenhorn was declared a heratic and cast out.

Logarithm Udgaur
09-11-2009, 23:38
You may still download the codex for free here;
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat200206&categoryId=1100009&section=&aId=4900004

atraphos
10-11-2009, 01:13
+ 1 for the the Eisenhorn series...

RexTalon
10-11-2009, 01:51
This is BS! You Chaosy chaosers stay away from my Inquisitor miniature! :P

Norsehawk
10-11-2009, 02:01
Inquisitors tend to fall from the Emperor's grace somewhat often. The job puts them up to the very edge of the line so often that eventually that line becomes blurry and gets crossed, often with the purest intentions in mind. Once the line has been crossed, it often gets crossed again and again until one day the Inquisitor notices how far he has fallen, if he ever notices. Sometimes the point of realization is the exact moment that the assassin lands the killing blow from the shadows.

There are also many factions in the inquisition, what might be perfectly fine to a moderate would be the foulest form of heresy to a radical.

mooserehab86
10-11-2009, 02:24
Don't let this keep you from making a fallen inquisitor, but I'll just point out that if your Chaosy-Templars are using the BT codex, you can't use the inquisitor AS an inquisitor, because BT can't use any psykers. Of course that's not to say you can't use the model to represent something else...

Dark_Templar
10-11-2009, 02:41
Don't let this keep you from making a fallen inquisitor, but I'll just point out that if your Chaosy-Templars are using the BT codex, you can't use the inquisitor AS an inquisitor, because BT can't use any psykers. Of course that's not to say you can't use the model to represent something else...

Edit: I just double-checked the codex, and it seems you may take an Inquisitor if he does not have any psychic powers. Could be interesting.

Nehemiah
10-11-2009, 05:30
theres kessel and lechtenstein and quixos to name 3, i believe they all started out as good guys trying to use chaos to fight chaos

Actually Quixos was not a Chaos worshiper and was always working against Chaos even to the point of his death. The only problem was Eisenhorn thought Sacrificing a world's inhabitants was going to far. Even though it could have sealed the Eye of terror forever. Which is generally how it goes, one inquisitor is called a heretic by another because their plan does not conform the the other inquisitors way of thinking.

But yes Inquisitors do fall to Chaos from time to time.

mooserehab86
10-11-2009, 12:00
Edit: I just double-checked the codex, and it seems you may take an Inquisitor if he does not have any psychic powers. Could be interesting.

Hmm very interesting. I always assumed it meant they are unable to use models with the psyker rule. If it's really just that they can't have any psychic powers then that makes much more sense. I always thought it was stupid that all inquisitors automatically count as psykers.