PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 announced...

Jedi152
17-05-2005, 11:49
Presumably to counter the news that Xbox 360 will be released this christmas, E3 has just seen Sony announce the Playstation 3.

Pics & full story here - courtesy of Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/screenindex_6124681.html)

Specs:

CPU Cell Processor running at 3.2Ghz with 2.18 teraflops of performance
Backward compatible
256Mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 GHz
256Mb of GDDR VRAM at 700Mhz
Memory Stick Duo, SD, compact flash memory slots
Detachable 2.5 inch hard drive
Support for seven Bluetooth controllers
Six USB slots for peripherals
Supports Blu-ray DVD format
Output in HDTV resolution up to 1080p as standard

I'm not particularly 'techy' so it's mostly just numbers to me, but it all sounds pretty good!

Even if the controllers do look like an alien anal probe, they are bluetooth, which is interesting. Sony claim the batteries will last 24 hours. hmmm.

Games line up includes: Gran Turismo, Killzone 2, another Getaway, Tekken 6, Devil May Cry 4 and Final Fantasy. All the usual Sony sequels then. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on the design/specs?

Lord Lucifer
17-05-2005, 12:04
Backwards Compatable are the words spoken in heaven.

I'm not a console fanboy, I'll whore myself out to any form of entertainment to the limit of my expenses, but I've got a back catalogue of unplayed and half-played games to get through, so knowing it's backwards compatable makes me very happy indeed

Ass Goblin
17-05-2005, 12:15
I just saw the contoller and well. ick. Also not to burst the PS3's bubble. Microsoft announced that the X-Box 360 is now Back compatible. I'm guessing sony scared them.

The Phoenix
17-05-2005, 12:18
I just saw the contoller and well. ick. Do you have a link? If not, could you describe what's so bad about it? I rather like the PS1/2 controller, but I suppose they could have gone and changed it drastically...

-Phoenix

Wraith
17-05-2005, 12:20
How do the stats compare with the XBOX 360?

Jedi152
17-05-2005, 12:23
Do you have a link? If not, could you describe what's so bad about it? I rather like the PS1/2 controller, but I suppose they could have gone and changed it drastically...

-Phoenix

Check the link in the first post for more pics.

Told you it was probe-a-licious!

Ass Goblin
17-05-2005, 12:23
Do you have a link?
-Phoenix

Here you go Mr. Phoenix

:D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/screens_6124681.html?page=8

No Fair. Mr Phoenix asked me for a link not you :(

Sai-Lauren
17-05-2005, 12:27
I just saw the contoller and well. ick. Also not to burst the PS3's bubble. Microsoft announced that the X-Box 360 is now Back compatible. I'm guessing sony scared them.

Nintendo Revolution's supposed to be backwards compatible as well. Anything else these days will kill software sales virtually dead on the first rumours of the next console, and the licenses for the games are where the console makers actually make their money.

Edit - controller.
All I can say is :-

"Holy Batarang, Batman!" :D

tzeentchgiant
17-05-2005, 12:28
You're right the controller does look like some sort of anal probe.

*shudders from flashbacks*

At least the console itself looks good

TG

x-esiv-4c
17-05-2005, 14:35
yes, i'm somewhat concerned by that controller. Looks a lot like a Ximbarawpi anal-probe, i'd remember that thing anywhere.

grizzly ruin
17-05-2005, 15:21
Pics & full story here - courtesy of Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/screenindex_6124681.html)

Specs:

CPU Cell Processor running at 3.2Ghz with 2.18 teraflops of performance
Backward compatible
256Mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 GHz
256Mb of GDDR VRAM at 700Mhz
Memory Stick Duo, SD, compact flash memory slots
Detachable 2.5 inch hard drive
Support for seven Bluetooth controllers
Six USB slots for peripherals
Supports Blu-ray DVD format
Output in HDTV resolution up to 1080p as standard

I read those specs, clicked the link, saw the pics and...

Something deep inside my viscera groaned like a horny mule.

As for the controller, I like the look of it.

grey_painter
17-05-2005, 18:16
I'm not even sure how you can comfortably hold that controller and still get at all the buttons. I'll try it but I hope some company releases a more PS1/2 esque controller as well.

Slyracoon
17-05-2005, 18:48
Microsoft announced that the X-Box 360 is now Back compatible. I'm guessing sony scared them.
Actually, the official line on that was "Xbox 360 will be backward-compatible with top-selling Xbox games". So basically Microsoft are trying to have their cake and eat it, designing the 360 completely differently from the Xbox but still having backwards compatibility.

The PS3 looks very shiny, and I'm pretty pleased to hear about Bluetooth controllers because it means an end to that damn annoying two controller limit upheld by playstations throughout the ages.

neXus6
19-05-2005, 03:28
LoL, that controller is very strange indeed.

Mind you I loved the chunky X-Box controllers that you could effectivly use to beat someone to death...but they got nerfed ages ago. :(

Minister
19-05-2005, 14:43
Consoles are evil. Every minute spent designing console games means another minute not designing computer games, and particularly ones for a Mac.

However...
http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2420&p=5

plasmadaemon
19-05-2005, 16:57
grrrr i don't like the new look, looks like another fancy dvd player.

and can you imagine playing fpss on it?

Brush your teeth
25-05-2005, 21:28
I think the controller looks like sony tried to fix what wasn't broken

Brimstone
25-05-2005, 23:37
I think the controller looks like sony tried to fix what wasn't broken

Or the fact they lost a legal battle and had to change it to avoid having to pay a lot of royalties.

It does look a little weird but I'll wait to hold on in my hands before I make a judgement and I expect there will be plenty of 3rd party alternatives if I don't like it.

Microsoft seem to be in a bit of trouble regarding backwards compatibility, the last I read was that "special 360 editions" would be released of classic X-box games.

I think I'm going for the PS3 myself although it's more powerful than the 360 it's the games & marketing that will make or break the machines not the capabilities of the console.

Even with their headstart I don't think Microsoft will make that big a dent in Sony but that's just my personal opinion.

Slazton
26-05-2005, 07:00
I like it. I like it alot! I cannot wait to get my hands on it two years down the road after its initial release. I am not paying 400 odd quid for a new PS3 ;), I'll pay 125 with free games :D

Brimstone
26-05-2005, 07:15
I like it. I like it alot! I cannot wait to get my hands on it two years down the road after its initial release.

I am not paying 400 odd quid for a new PS3 ;), I'll pay 125 with free games :D

Don't understand this if you cannot wait how are you going to avoid paying top dollar for the console, if you want to become a earlier adopter you'll have to pay.

I'd imagine there will be a pricing war in a similar manner to the last generations with MS and Sony competing against each other and another round when the Revolution comes out.

New Cult King
26-05-2005, 08:24
Sooo nice. I've heard conflicting reports on which is more powerful out of the XBox 360 and PS3... Anyone got 360 stats to hand?

Frodo34x
26-05-2005, 08:35
grrrr i don't like the new look, looks like another fancy dvd player.

and can you imagine playing fpss on it?
I can't imagine anyone wanting to play FPSs on a console at all.

Wiseman
26-05-2005, 08:51
looks nice, dont think ill get another console though.

Jedi152
26-05-2005, 08:56
I can't imagine anyone wanting to play FPSs on a console at all.
I do - because i can't afford a top end pc, and can't afford to upgrade it every month to play the latest games!

Sgt John Keel
26-05-2005, 09:09
However...
http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2420&p=5

Hah. Trying to trick their customers, are they? :D

/Adrian