PDA

View Full Version : Regimental Discussion

meno1
11-11-2009, 12:31
Now I was wondering, what regiments do you like, and why? And, more importantly IMO, what regiments do you hate and why? For me I love the idea of Catachans and Tanith First-and-Only, just the idea of elite troops bursting out of cover and wiping the enemies face with grit and grime. I also love the pysical image of these troops, and the fact they're the grimmer darker side of the Imperium who always seem to accomplish more than meat-shield regiments (in fluff that is).

Which brings me to my hate, commercial cadians and overused, usually cheesy armoured regiments and "clean" regiments afraid to get their hands dirty or regiments used as cannon-fodder.

Now all comments are welcome, but please no bitching, I don't want to start a flame-war, or turn this thread into a seething pit of hate. It's just one general talking to another...

Vaktathi
11-11-2009, 12:51
On IG, I've always had a thing for mechanized IG, I'm a huge fan of tanks, and lots of them, and mech IG have always seemed like the most terrifying foe to face. yeah yeah, there's daemons and godzilla bugs, but there's nothing like a tank regiment with attendant infantry support laying down a hail of fire so thick you'd practically breathe bullets, bombs and shells, then crushing everything left beneath a thousand treads.

Now, for individual lines...

I can't stand catachans. In regards to their models, they look ridiculously over muscled and out of proportion, and look half melted with rather mediocre sculpts. The whole "rambo/predator" visual, theme, and attitude is overdone and tired, to the point of being goofy. It should have been left to die in the early 90's. I've never really seen them as very popular, their models sit on the shelves for months and years on end while the Cadian stuff is gone on days and weeks, and I was very surprised to see them get so much attention with the new codex.

On Cadians, I don't mind their fluff, although some bits are annoying. I don't mind their visual in art and drawings. With the cadian models themselves though, the heads really do bug me. Usually because they are either ridiculously butch, or they have a facial expression like they are right in the middle of crumping out a fat wet log. The cadian models with Pig Iron or FW respirator heads look dead solid ace though.

Mordians...eh, not a fan of dress uniforms, or fluff, but they don't really annoy me at all or anything, they just aren't my thing.

Tallarns are pretty cool in most respects, although definitely need a model update.

Praetorians are just a bit too much, and while kinda cool from a "haha old but interesting" perspective, I'm glad they aren't really around anymore.

Valhallans are sweet, although the new fluff stuffing them into Enemy at the Gates roles really doesn't speak to their older fluff and kinda brings them down for me.

Elysians are just generally all around cool as generic scifi troopers

With regards to Steel Legion, I *love* their art, and especially their mechanized nature. Mechanized IG have always been my favorite (even when they sucked on the table) and I find the visual of their uniforms awesome, although their models are also very badly in need of an update.

I'd love vostroyans in every way if it weren't for one thing. The hats. I can't stand the hats. The armored greatcoat look is sweet (hence why I own dozens of DKoK grenadiers) and their background is pretty interesting, but I just can't get past the hats. If they had helmets or something I'd totally be into them, but the hats are just too silly.

Finally, my precious Krieg. Totally badass looking pulling off a sweet WW1 grimdark vibe while still remaining scifi enough to be beliveable. Awesome fluff, awesome models. Greatcoats? Stahlhelms? what more could you want for a grimdark army of future dudes? And you can pretty much make whatever army you want out of them and still have it be perfectly fluffy save for Aircav lists, as Krieg fields not only the cannon-fodder artillery heavy Siege regiments, but also mechanized and armored regiments.

Max1mum
11-11-2009, 13:05
Offcourse my own regiment is the best ..Number 1 they are ;-)

( ill chuck something up in background in a bit about them ;-) )

I love the new Catachan models. ..they are ace...i hate the old catachen models....they are ***** ...

So, my current IG is using Cadian plastics. I don't think they are the coolest models, Dkok win there. And i love the fluff and feel of other regiments. But ! ill be damned if i do IG infantry with metal models.

I like tanks, but i like infantry more. The entire idea of down dirty die hards fighting with hardly anything for just about everything is just to cool.

I have modelled my infantry Squads using the normal plastic cadians. And to spice my veterans and command squads up i have mixed in the new plastic command kits. So in those squads you see more and more beefed up and weird looking individuals. I reckoned that the guys from my planet don't get into the guard big as a house. Surviving the guard and working out in transit makes them that big. So my veterans have a more individualistic feel to them.

That's really just me trying to make it right that i'm using the new F'ning Cool Catachans sculpts in my old Cadian styled armie ;-).

Logarithm Udgaur
11-11-2009, 13:43
Like:
The Blood Pact (which is the only army I play). Cool looking grotesques, sworn to the service of chaos, willingly evil, every trooper an army, what is not to like?

The Catachans. I know every one hates on them around here, but I like them, both fluff and model-wise.

The Tallarn. They look cool. Ditto the Steel Legion and Death Corps of Krieg.

The Savlar Chem-dogs. Cool fluff (there planet sucks so hard they join the guard just to get off it), cool looking (scavenged gear and gas masks). Of the loyalist regiments, they are definitely my favorite.

Dislike:
Pretty much all the others.

meno1
11-11-2009, 14:41
In regards to their models, they look ridiculously over muscled and out of proportion, and look half melted with rather mediocre sculpts. The whole "rambo/predator" visual, theme, and attitude is overdone and tired, to the point of being goofy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Usually because they are either ridiculously butch, or they have a facial expression like they are right in the middle of crumping out a fat wet log. The cadian models with Pig Iron or FW respirator heads look dead solid ace though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The hats. I can't stand the hats. The armored greatcoat look is sweet (hence why I own dozens of DKoK grenadiers) and their background is pretty interesting, but I just can't get past the hats.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Totally badass looking pulling off a sweet WW1 grimdark vibe while still remaining scifi enough to be beliveable.

Haha some things here made me laugh:D But in regards to Catachans they do have some poor sculpts, and it's annoying how the mold line always runs over the fingers. But as for muscles and "Rambo" styling they have seemed to tone it down, and I don't find it that hard to believe, heck I see Asians and Caucasians down at the local gym nearing that muscle size. Although the old Marbo model looked soo gay, as well as most the Catachn officers...

Have to agree with the Cadian comment, as well asthe bloody hats!! Someone even made Votroyan Ogryns with hats:wtf:

And yes, I definately agree with the DKoK being totally badass. But there's been some DKoK hating currently:mad:

At Logarithm Udgaur I've seen some brilliantly converted Blood Pact models, but if I ever wanted a IG/Chaos army I'd have to go with a Lost and the Damned list led by some sorcerers:evilgrin: I've always favoured Tzeentch...

sigur
11-11-2009, 15:24
..., and the fact they're the grimmer darker side of the Imperium who will always accomplish more than the cadians.

Which brings me to my hate, commercial cadians and overused, usually cheesy armoured regiments and "clean" regiments afraid to get their hands dirty or regiments used as cannon-fodder.

Now all comments are welcome, but please no bitching, I don't want to start a flame-war, or turn this thread into a seething pit of hate.

What in the name of the Emperor was this part about? Where is the fluff does it say that Catachans (or the handful of Tanith dudes) "will always accomplish more than Cadians"? Or what makes you think that way? Apart from that, how come you feel that Catachans (and this other regiment) are more grimdark than the rest of the Imperium which has GRIMDARKBOO written in every little corner?

I like how you "accuse" the Cadian regiments of being "commercial". I guess they totally sold out to the Man while Catachans (and this other regiment) are keepin' it real and level?

Sorry, I really don't get two thirds of your posting. So you like jungle fighters. Okay. But I'm not sure if that's justifying your rather amusing rage against regiments of different styles. P.S.: We don't use "gay" as an invective because we're not twerps. :)

For my largest IG army, I use Catachan models. I like their rather goofy looks and they have Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood and Stallone in their ranks. Apart from that, I like all regiments quite a lot with the exception of Vostroyans who I think are just over the top in terms of "grimdarksteampunkgothic"-ness. Plastic Cadians and Steel Legion are rather bland too, same with DKoK (silly name, no faces and rather uninspired background and looks), but I kind of like them all. Probably like the original regiments from 1994 a little bit better.

Logarithm Udgaur
12-11-2009, 00:52
^ I know who the Arnold and Sly are, but which one is Eastwood?

sigur
12-11-2009, 00:59
Schwarzenegger and Eastwood are both on the cover of 2nd edition codex IG. I somehow tend to see Robert Downey Jr. in the guy in the lower right and James Caan in the guy in the top left in that picture but I guess that's rather far fetched.

Bloodknight
12-11-2009, 01:14
I thought I'd just comment on this, it's easier than a whole write-up ;)

I can't stand catachans.... I've never really seen them as very popular, their models sit on the shelves for months and years on end while the Cadian stuff is gone on days and weeks, and I was very surprised to see them get so much attention with the new codex.

Well, the metals were so popular that they got the plastic treatment first. I guess the added attention is because fleshing them out was easier than creating a new regiment. That said, I like their fluff and the newer plastics are pretty good.

On Cadians, I don't mind their fluff, although some bits are annoying. I don't mind their visual in art and drawings. With the cadian models themselves though, the heads really do bug me.

I can't stand Cadians. ;). The models are pretty ugly and bland and lack a bit of 40K feel, I think. I also don't like their fluff, what with Cadia having a soldier population of over 70%...how unrealistic is that? Also, they're too fearless and disciplined for my liking, I think that should be the defining feature of the Iron Guard.

Mordians...eh, not a fan of dress uniforms, or fluff, but they don't really annoy me at all or anything, they just aren't my thing.

I am a big fan. I love their sour facial expressions and their "camo is for weaklings"-attitude. No wonder they became "my" regiment.

Tallarns are pretty cool in most respects, although definitely need a model update.

Agreed. The FW additions are sweet, though. They're my 3rd favourite Guard.

Praetorians are just a bit too much, and while kinda cool from a "haha old but interesting" perspective, I'm glad they aren't really around anymore.

Well, they were meant as a joke, but look great on the tabletop. Gravis FTW.

Valhallans are sweet, although the new fluff stuffing them into Enemy at the Gates roles really doesn't speak to their older fluff and kinda brings them down for me.

The models are showing their age and I hate the retconned fluff they got with the new codex. They used to be few, but hard men, fighting off the Orks and providing the Emperor's finest troops for ice warfare, not the freakshow swarm of useless rabble that they have become.

Elysians are just generally all around cool as generic scifi troopers

These are the 2nd Guard regiment that I don't really like. Must be the models, the fluff is alright.

With regards to Steel Legion, I *love* their art, and especially their mechanized nature. Mechanized IG have always been my favorite (even when they sucked on the table) and I find the visual of their uniforms awesome, although their models are also very badly in need of an update.

I like the SL fluff, but their models are tiny even compared to the '94 regiments.

I'd love vostroyans in every way if it weren't for one thing. The hats. I can't stand the hats. The armored greatcoat look is sweet (hence why I own dozens of DKoK grenadiers) and their background is pretty interesting, but I just can't get past the hats. If they had helmets or something I'd totally be into them, but the hats are just too silly.

I like the Vossies, my 2nd favourite Guard. It's probably the most 40K Guard army, heavily influenced by John Blanche. They are a bit of an acquired taste, though, I used to hate them when they were new. Nice fluff, too.

Finally, my precious Krieg. Totally badass looking pulling off a sweet WW1 grimdark vibe while still remaining scifi enough to be beliveable. Awesome fluff, awesome models. Greatcoats? Stahlhelms? what more could you want for a grimdark army of future dudes? And you can pretty much make whatever army you want out of them and still have it be perfectly fluffy save for Aircav lists, as Krieg fields not only the cannon-fodder artillery heavy Siege regiments, but also mechanized and armored regiments.

Great models, but a bit overdone nowadays. You just see them too often and they lost a bit of their appeal. I could imagine building a Krieg force, though...

Imperius
12-11-2009, 01:30
I love the Valhallen models and story. The next step will be to make them affordable and less idiotic looking lasguns...

Earth Shaker
12-11-2009, 05:53
My favorite for background, Armoggedon steel legion.
Looks, DKoK are the best looking(and in prapotrion) models I have ever seen.

my most hated would have to be 3 as i hate them all equally. Catachans, Mordians and uggghhhhh Tallaran. ::eek::
but my IG army is half cadian and half vostroyan as they are my favorite all round, yes i like the hats. dont know why i like vostroyans, but i do. oh and i have a DKoK death rider still to come. YAY

Grimbad
12-11-2009, 06:35
Cadians are a bit too futuristic for my tastes. The average, faceless, ubiquitous and anonymous Guard regiment should look like a bunch of illiterate conscripts using millennia-outdated technology and tactics, winning through numbers, fanaticism and brutality. Cadians just seem too sci-fi for the Imperium. The old metal cadians are great, and there's nothing wrong with their background (okay, Creed outwitting Eldar, but he probably only thinks he won...), but the new models are bland and, I think, unsuitable. The original cadians looked higher tech than other Guard, but barely modern and definitely not very futuristic.

My ideal Guard would have Vostroyans as grenadier veterans, Mordians for line squads and valhallans for conscripts, with Tallarn squads used for mechanized, airborne and cavalry units. All of these infantry ranges emphasize a culture that values tradition over the lives of its troops. Behind this, tanks great and ugly. Leman Russes are great. The tanks are inhuman, soulless beasts of steel, and have no qualms with crushing friendly and enemy infantry alike during a charge. Together, it would be a pretty dystopian force, playing up fanaticism over technology. I can respect the drive that many people have to use Guard as an anchor of realism in an unrealistic universe, but I don't really understand the appeal of playing a purely historical or modern army in a sci-fi game, but as I said, I can respect the work people put into converting their models to do so.

Reflex
12-11-2009, 07:21
but the new models are bland and, I think, unsuitable. The original cadians looked higher tech than other Guard, but barely modern and definitely not very futuristic.

QFT

(i have no other input into this thread then this really... )

Grom Wronghand
12-11-2009, 13:50
Valhallans are suitably epic. Nothing like a good ol' massed charge of hundreds of thousands of bayonets! And the Vostroyans of course. Love the minis, soem of the best design there is. Granted, the hats are silly, but I like for some reason. DKoK - now there's an awesomely grimdark army for ya, and Armageddon Steel Legion.

Catachans on the other hand - yeuch. Can't stand the buggers. Horrible models, I hate the whole rambo-in-space thing, and I thought the Vietcong were cooler anyway. Oh, and Cadians are a tad dull - too bland. I'm not a big fan of the Attilan Rough Riders either - I just don't like the imagery of horse cavalry being at all effective in any universe with automatic weapons.

primarch16
12-11-2009, 14:24
I quite like the armageddon ork hunters, quite like the idea that they have been fighting a common enemy for so long that they almost start to replicate them, looting and taking trophies.

Reflex
12-11-2009, 14:30
I just don't like the imagery of horse cavalry being at all effective in any universe with automatic weapons.

you say that, but i got $10 that says you would like the DKoK version of rough riders... what are they death riders...

Tallern are cool, it would be nice to see some decently priced models though.

Trogdor
12-11-2009, 15:01
I'm quite keen on the Cadian plastics myself - I honestly prefer them to the metal originals, though I'm not sure I could give you a definitive reason why. There is something very dogged in their facial expressions and due to the sheer variety of components available you can produce a very strong sense of narrative across the various squads that you build. I find the background attached to the Death Korps of Krieg wonderfully grim and would echo Vaktathi's sentiments on their overall look.

I'm currently painting up a small contingent of Praetorians, and whilst I do like the miniatures themselves I can see why they are a less popular choice with others - they are perhaps too obviously connected to a specific place and time in real-world history and it does pull you out of the setting somewhat. I can't stand the plastic Catachan troopers, but I do like the more restrained look of the HW teams and the command squad.

meno1
13-11-2009, 07:32
At sigur, when did I ever use gay as an invective? Also if you have read any Black Library books, the down and dirty regiments seem to win the day a lot more than the Cadians and others. Also Cadians more grimdark than Tanith and Catachans? Please. Catachans grow up on worlds inhospitable to Cadians. Tanith managed to crawl unseen through slush and magic to emerge in the heart of the enemy fortifications how many times? All Cadians seem to do is fire, die, and fire at the front of the enemies base. I'm not saying they're less effective necessarily, and I have worded some of my comments poorly, but (fluff-wise) the Cadians are just...bland... And at them being commecial, yea they tend to be. They have the biggest model range, and I'm assuming that's cause they have the biggest demand. So they are commercial.

Some great comments, nice to see the varied opinions of all different Guard players! Which was what I was hoping for with this thread:D

Desert thunder
13-11-2009, 07:35
I like the Cadian models, it's just because they were the first ones I got. After that would be the Elysian, they're totally badass with grav-chutes, for me they're like Kasrkin except mixed with Storm trooper.

Bloodriver
13-11-2009, 22:02
When I was deciding on my first 40k army it came down to a choice between Guard and Chaos Marines, and I chose Chaos. That was a good choice because if I'd started with Guard I would have just gone with the standard Canadians :), which I now find pretty boring. As I got more into the 40k background, I thought Tallarns were pretty cool, but it was hard to get the models, and they were a bit clunky anyway, so I never got them started. Same problem with Mordians. Finally I focussed on Vostroyans and that was when it all came together. I love 18th and 19th Century uniforms, so the idea of an army fighting in the future with modern weapons and these old fashioned uniforms really appealed to me. And, being the most recent addition to the IG ranks, the models are outstanding. The limitations in the model range are something of a frustration, but in the end just give me more conversion opportunities. I've only recently begun serious work on them, but I'm really enjoying working on them, and really looking forward to getting them battle-ready (sonetime early next year, hopefully)

Hicks
13-11-2009, 22:20
My favorite of course is the Steel Legion, my biggest army in 40K.

The one regiment I like the least is Cadians, I don't hate them, but I just like the others just a bit more.

MegaPope
14-11-2009, 18:52
Hehe, I really don't understand the general dislike of the plastic Cadians. I was overjoyed to see them - finally an affordable way to do Guard infantry!

Ok, so they're 'bland', but you're under no obligation to keep them that way. IMO, they are a blank slate and better off for it - generic 'space soldiers' that can be used as is (they owe more to the original plastic IG than the old metal Cadians ever did) or as the basis for any kind of conversions you want. Plastic troops are a godsend to the imaginitive, especially when you start combining them with bits of GW's and other manufacturers' ranges :)

In any case, I actually like even the basic Cadians - the only thing the heads are missing is the ubiquitous sets of sunglasses that the very old Guard figures used to have.

As to the other regiments: Catachans don't really suit the idea of a formal regiment structure IMO - they look much more the part when used as Veteran squads or Aircav troops. I can't imagine Catachan regiments are all that numerous, given the population of the planet they come from, but I CAN imagine them being hard as nails to the last man! The same thing goes for the Elysians, although I think that while FW's Elysian models are some of the coolest Guard ever made, the Catachans could really do with looking less like steroid casualties (except Harker and Marbo, of course lol)

Valhallans and Vostroyans I like a lot - the models are nice and chunky, and they actually go quite well together IMO if you wanted to do an army with a semi-Tzarist theme - the ordinary ranks filled out with Valhallan models to represent the regular soldiery, while the command units, Veterans and Heavy Weapons use Vostroyan figures (artillery, along with cavalry, has traditionally regarded itself as the elite branch of an army).

The Steel Legion are cool, although the models compared to the artwork are one of my biggest disappointments. These guys should've looked more like the Death Korps of Krieg to begin with.

I would've loved to have been able to do a Mordian army, painted red and white in the style of Austria-Hungary, but sadly, it never came to pass...

The rest of them I remain pretty neutral on, although I think that one of the worst design features of the 1994 regiments was the use of the 'baby buggy' carriages for the heavy bolter and autocannon. The old lascannon was cool, the mortar was ok and the various missile launchers were fine (especially the SL RPG) but the other two weapons really detracted from the rest IMO. Thank goodness for rejigs.

The average, faceless, ubiquitous and anonymous Guard regiment should look like a bunch of illiterate conscripts using millennia-outdated technology and tactics, winning through numbers, fanaticism and brutality.

A PDF, maybe, Or the fanatics inspired to join a Cardinal-Astral's War of Faith. But a tithed Guard regiment? No way. They wouldn't be worth the logistical effort or resources to get them off-world.

Guard regiments, wherever they come from and whoever they are, are the elite of the Imperium's many, many worlds' fighting forces. Only if a world is actually invaded do the second-line troops like PDF etc come into play - of course this happens quite often, which is why you now have options for Conscripts, Penal Troops etc ;).

Light of the Emperor
14-11-2009, 19:19
Well, if you know me from my project log, you'll understand why I think Vostroyans are the coolest regiment ever! While the hats seem to be a turnoff for many, I find that it gives the Vossies a neat blend of futuristic and archaic elements.
It seems I've gone completely nutty for these guys. My avatar, location and parts of my sig are devoted to 'em!

As a commander, I can't "hate" other regiments...just like them less than others. At the top we have Vostroyans, Praetorians, Death Korp. At the bottom we have Cadians, Catachans.

Grimbad
14-11-2009, 19:29
A PDF, maybe, Or the fanatics inspired to join a Cardinal-Astral's War of Faith. But a tithed Guard regiment? No way. They wouldn't be worth the logistical effort or resources to get them off-world.

I don't think the Administratum really cares about efficiency. Or anything, for that matter. "The cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable". I think that Guard regiments are so rarely depicted wearing suitable camouflage* because after the effort of producing new uniforms and shipping them to the far-flung corners of the galaxy, half the time they'll still be up against heat-seeking monsters and really, the ships carrying uniforms could carry replacement men instead. The solution in my idea of 40k is always put more bodies on the pyre, except with Space Marines. Though I'm not exactly neutral, playing a manpower-themed Mordian army where even the leman russes have exposed crew.

I do agree that Cadians would look much better with sunglasses, in spite of being all futuristic.

*Certainly in the new codex, at least. Cadian regiments are stated to carry camouflage matching their homeworld wherever they go, Catachans, being stealth gitz, always wear bright red headbands. :wtf:

Grand Warlord
14-11-2009, 19:46
I have always enjoyed a Cadian Regiment and also the valhallans. I am considering forming my own Vostroyan Regiment.

Badger[Fr]
14-11-2009, 20:01
(okay, Creed outwitting Eldar, but he probably only thinks he won...)
Because the Eldar never lose, eh?

Cadians are still my favourite, as they belong to the only regiment that isn't a blatant rip-off of a real-world army. Plus, they value tactical thinking, discipline and combined arms over superhuman skills or over the top badassness, and thus are far more opened in terms of army composition than any other regiment.

I enjoy Vostroyans and Mordians as well. Their highly anachronistic nature makes them far more appealing to me than a bland XXth century carbon copy.

Though, I hate the DKoK with a passion. While I do enjoy WW1 history (I read tens of history books and spent hundreds of € on vintage WW1 gear), I still think they are the most uninspired regiment GW ever designed. How could anyone with even the slightest respect for originality love a bastardized mish-mash of the French and German WW1 armies, with a ridiculous, one-dimensional fluff and the most stupid name ever (Death, War, and a nazi-sounding word in a single phrase?!)? It's a shame, because such well-sculpted models deserve a far better design and background.

Really, the DKoK epitomizes all that is wrong about 40k's post-second edition background: a never-ending tide of skulls, grimdark's for grimdark's sake, and uninspired, over the top background. Where is the grim and biting irony I enjoyed so much? 40k as a whole loss the moral ambiguity of its first Edition, and replaced it with skulls and low-tech grimdarkness.

Forgotmytea
14-11-2009, 20:04
My favourites have to be the Tanith models, being a huge fan of the books, and despite the odd inconsistencies with the models/novels (plasma gun, yet no flamer... ookaaay.... :p). However, if I was ever to make a force rather than just buying the odd Tanith model here and there, I'd go for Cadians. Purely because I'd love the chance to convert them into traitors :evilgrin:

Ravenheart
14-11-2009, 20:18
Big fan of the Tallaran and Chem Dog guys. Mordians are also very interessting; if the minis ever get updated, I might collect an army.

The best are still Traitor Guardsmen.

Cadians, Elysians, Valhallans and all the rest don't particulary interesst me. I certainly don't 'hate' them though.

meno1
15-11-2009, 04:03
However, if I was ever to make a force rather than just buying the odd Tanith model here and there, I'd go for Cadians.

I'm planning to do a flexible Tanith army for my second (and possibly final) IG army. I can't start however till move out and get a job, but I'm currently researching fluff (reading the books) and making an army list.

So far I'm looking at doing a 500-1000 point Tanith regiment as a base (500 a strike force, 1000 the whole regiment). Of course I won't be able to make the whole 3000 men in the books, instead the "whole" regiment will be approximately 60 men (a CCS and six vet. squads gets you to 1000 points, after wargear etc.). From there I'll add ally regiments, such as the Vitrian Dragoons and the 'Serpents' - the Ketzok 17th Armoured Regiment. So for games 1000 points or less, I'll just use the Tanith. For every game 500 points above 1000, I'll add another regiment, or at least a part of one. It will be great fun to convert:D

For anyone still looking at this thead, if there is any, what are some awesome conversions you've done for fluff in your IG army (post pics to!), and what are your future IG armies you're planning/building??

Bloodknight
15-11-2009, 22:37
Death, War, and a nazi-sounding word in a single phrase?!

You won't believe how silly their name sounds to a German...Death Corps (what's with the K in the English name anyway?) of War. Who in hell would call a planet "war"?

doghouse
15-11-2009, 22:56
Well, the metals were so popular that they got the plastic treatment first. I guess the added attention is because fleshing them out was easier than creating a new regiment. That said, I like their fluff and the newer plastics are pretty good.

The reason we got Catachans as the first plastic regiment was a marketing blunder. Back in second ed you weren't allowed to mix models from different regiments. The Catachans were released first so everyone who bought them had to buy more catachans to complete their regiment.
GW looked at the sales figures and thought they were the most popular because they sold the most and they became the first plastic kit.
If Valhallen metal miniatures had been released first then we would have had plastic great coats right from the beginning.

Hard to say which would be my favourite although I have always liked the Mordians.

Bloodknight
15-11-2009, 23:51
Back in second ed you weren't allowed to mix models from different regiments.

The 2nd edition codex encourages mixing regiments in the army. Really, it does.
You were technically not allowed to field mixed units in one platoon (except taking for example a Tallarn unit in a Catachan platoon as a support unit, as you were allowed to take one support unit -other infantry, tanks etc.- per platoon squad), yes, but different platoons were definitely encouraged. The army they used as an example consists of a platoon of 25 Cadians, one platoon of 25 Catachans, a Platoon of 25 Mordians, one Catachan and one Mordian heavy weapon squad, 2 squadrons of Attilans, 1 Ogryn squad, 1 Ratling squad, a Chimera, 2 Russes, a Demolisher and a Griffon. I'd call that pretty mixed.

Lord Cook
16-11-2009, 02:20
I actually really like the Cadian model range. I prefer a more modern look for my Imperial Guard, roughly around the late-Cold War era, rather than First or Second World War that so many other people use. In terms of the background I much prefer the Steel Legion however. My own army's background tallies far more closely with that of the Steel Legions than the Cadians, despite my use of models.

what's with the K in the English name anyway?

The Deutsches Afrikakorps is always rendered into English as the 'German Afrika Korps', in the same way as we refer to the 'Grande Armeé', instead of translating to 'Grand Army'. By referring to them as 'Death Korps', it evokes in English various German stereotypes, such as efficiency and proficiency, particularly in warfare.

spacewolf_sven
16-11-2009, 02:24
All the ones like krieg and valhallans ar ecool but persnally I like the Terrax guard from last ed codex-but I have set to see or make a conversion(just never got round to it, made some plans a while back)

Grimbad
16-11-2009, 02:29
All the ones like krieg and valhallans ar ecool but persnally I like the Terrax guard from last ed codex-but I have set to see or make a conversion(just never got round to it, made some plans a while back)

I think the mordian captain model would work well. Body armor, big hat and massive coat. Maybe Valhallans with big hats for infantry? They all have coats conveniently covering where there would be carapace armor, saving a lot of time. All counting, of course, as Grenadier veterans.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
16-11-2009, 04:39
Well, good to see I'm not the only Cadian model lover on the boards. :) I think the little plastic guys get something of a bad rap.

My least favorite would have to be the Elysian models. I like the grav chute design, but the overall look of the force (particularly the helmets) just doesn't gel with me.

Raggydoll1979
16-11-2009, 10:01
I agree with Lord Cook it that I like my guard modern looking, and for this the Cadians are the best. I do like
pretty much all the regiments for different reasons. That said I'm glad people like and collect the other
regiments as if everyone just stuck to Cadians it would be pretty dull.

Delicious Ron
16-11-2009, 16:13
Now I was wondering, what regiments do you like, and why?

Savlar chem dogs are my personal favorites, gas-masks, scavenged gear and disillusioned, what more do you want? Otherwise I have a weakness for gas-masks so DKoK and Sl have always been dear to me and the few Vostryans that have them.

I have never liked the Mordia, Praetorians or Catachans models, as they simply look too ridiculous.

I agree with MegaPope that the Cadian models are perfect empty slates, as long as you ditch those awful heads! It's the biggest reason I have never done a "pure" (model-wise) Cadian army. Fluffwise they are a bit dull though.

I have been hoping for plastic Tallarns for a while so I can do a Terrorist/Mujahideen army ;)

Inquisitor_Tolheim
16-11-2009, 16:18
I have been hoping for plastic Tallarns for a while so I can do a Terrorist/Mujahideen army ;)

Take Al'Raheem and put two special weapons squads armed with demo-charges in his platoon. Congratulations, your army is now politically incorrect. :D

Lord Cook
16-11-2009, 16:24
Particularly if you model the demo charges as vests made of C4. :p

Col. Frost
16-11-2009, 16:29
Love the Cadian plastics.

Heresy you say! Well, i find they are probably the easiest to work with when converting / kitbashing etc. From a single lowly box of Cadian troops, some glue and greenstuff you can create whatever themed regiment you want. I would say the same for Catachans, but I find the muscle look to be a bit OTT ("Hey Dudes, i can, like, bench-press two Chimera's. Dude"). Mix them up with spare bitz from the Cadian sprues (muscles out, spare Cadian arms in) and you onto a real winner.

Big winner for me is the Kasrkin range. Stick these in a plastic kit form and GW would see the sales rocket. Used as Stormtroopers, Vets or any myriad of other troop options.

Love the Tallarn, DKoK, Steel Legion and Valhallans.

Dislike Mordians

doghouse
16-11-2009, 22:35
The 2nd edition codex encourages mixing regiments in the army. Really, it does.
You were technically not allowed to field mixed units in one platoon (except taking for example a Tallarn unit in a Catachan platoon as a support unit, as you were allowed to take one support unit -other infantry, tanks etc.- per platoon squad), yes, but different platoons were definitely encouraged. The army they used as an example consists of a platoon of 25 Cadians, one platoon of 25 Catachans, a Platoon of 25 Mordians, one Catachan and one Mordian heavy weapon squad, 2 squadrons of Attilans, 1 Ogryn squad, 1 Ratling squad, a Chimera, 2 Russes, a Demolisher and a Griffon. I'd call that pretty mixed.

Yeah sorry mate that's what I meant to say. :D :)

It was because it was implied that you needed an entire platoon of these guys, so most people bought the catachans squad then spent out more money on the hq and more squads to complete it. This is what caused the false belief that they were the most popular.

Trogdor
16-11-2009, 22:42
Yeah sorry mate that's what I meant to say. :D :)

It was because it was implied that you needed an entire platoon of these guys, so most people bought the catachans squad then spent out more money on the hq and more squads to complete it. This is what caused the false belief that they were the most popular.

It's perhaps ironic that those original metal Catachans were far nicer looking than the plastics that replaced them - better proportioned but still obviously well muscled, with a greater variety of facial expression and more dynamic poses than the multi-part plastics allow.

DaSpaceAsians
16-11-2009, 22:49
Here's my preferences and dislikes:

Cadians simply because they're simple with no fanciness on them and ressemble enough ARVN troops.
DKOK: The models are amazing for their gritty look and general kickassitude.
Mordians:I would get a squad for a display and that's it.
Catachans:Just no, freaking steroid loaded rambo wannabees no. (Some guy actually told me them to use for ARVN inspired IG much to the hilarity of everyone simply cause they both fight in jungles!).
Vostroyans: I don't why but the fur hats just kill it.
Valhallans: I don't like or hate them
Tallarn: Same as above
Elysians: They would good Stormtrooper models.
Steel Legion: They look ok

baphomael
16-11-2009, 22:49
As a visual theme, I adore the Valhallans. WWII Red Army with lasguns. Win.

I also love the Vostroyans for their over-the-top 17th-18th century pseudo-slavic look. Grimdark space-cossacks :D.

Steel Legion for Life
17-11-2009, 02:04
I think my name says it all really.

Basically, I got ill (really really ill) in 1992, and when I was in hospital I spent most of a summer in my youth playing Battle for Armageddon in an oxygen mask. So...when the Steel Legion were released, I was really excited, because I'd always wanted an Armageddon guard army. And then they had gas masks! It was clearly meant to be:)

Seriously, I do think they are the best sculpts as well. Yeah, they're smallish, but they're meant to be! They are covered in lovely detail - e.g. the folding stocks on the carbines, the eagle buttons on the officer coat. They are actually pretty easy to convert, as well.

The Guard background realistically comes in two waves - the 2nd ed regiments (Tallarn, Cadian, Catachan, Valhallan, Mordian, Attilans) and the 3rd War for Armageddon regiments (Elysians, Savlar, Armageddon, Krieg). Odd that some of those regiments that were only mentioned caught on, and some didn't - e.g. no-one is converting drookian fen guard are they?

Equally, the regiments mentioned in the back of the 1999 and 2003 Codexes never really caught on. I've never seen a dread pirates of Bo army, anyway:) Some, like harakoni suffered from being to similar too existing exemplar regiments (Elysians in that case) - other just never caught on thematically -like the Terrax or Kanak guard.

I reckon it's down to the art and fluff - Elysians and Krieg had lovely MG sketches in WD, and Dan Abnett background on the Armageddon3 site, whereas the poor Dread pirates and Harakoni just had some slightly retarded looking sketches, half a paragraph, then a list of doctrines picked at random.

In General though: -

I can't stand Attillans. I was mortified to see Kamir in the new codex - I have no problem with RR in general, but if you're removing pretorians, why keep the other joke unit? Not only do they have preposterous background, but they are hideous sculpts - bendy chainswords, spazzy taches, hideous hats.

I can't add much more to what's already been said - Cadians are generic, but that's what you want, Catachans, early plastics bad, new plastics good. Mordians, Tallarns and Valhallans are all quite cool, but yeah, hideous Autocannons and Heavy bolters for the Mordians and Vals.

meno1
17-11-2009, 11:09

What's the terrax guard?? Sounds interesting:D

And personally I've liked the elite, futuristic look of Elysians, although I haven't seen many. Reminds me slightly of ODSTs.

And final note as Steel Legion for Life mentioned I've always disliked the heavy weapons on cart wheels. I mean seriously, what the hell? It's the 41st millenium and you're carting around this bulky thing? It's unfoldable, wouldn't be able to handle much terrain, and bulky and heavy to transport.

Hadafix
17-11-2009, 11:39
Its 40K, even fold up bikes are heresy! Folding much else could get the machine god angry.

Favoured Guard units would be the Voysarians (sp?) DKoK Steel Legion Guants lot and Caidians.

Neutral on just about any thing else.

Dislike the Catachan and havent seen and of the new ones painted other than on GW site.

Grubnar
17-11-2009, 13:22
Who in hell would call a planet "war"?

When that planet has been rendered uninhabitable by a war the has lasted for many generations ... I would guess everyone?

Anyway, I like the Death Korps and Steel Legion for their looks. The Elysians for their Fallschirmjäger eliteness! And the Catachans for their indipendant character (no outsider in a black coat with a big silly hat tells them what to do).

The Valhallans, Tallarans and Mordians are OK but the models are limited and hard to find.

The Pretorians, Vostroyans and Cadians all suffer from "ugly helmet" syndrome.

What's the terrax guard?? Sounds interesting:D

They look like an army of Commisars! Evil little buggers.

Vaktathi
17-11-2009, 13:29
When that planet has been rendered uninhabitable by a war the has lasted for many generations ... I would guess everyone? It was called that before the war however.

Max1mum
17-11-2009, 13:30
Elysians: They would good Stormtrooper models.

You Fething Fether you ..

I have dismissed the new Elysians bceause i couldn't fit them into my cadian army.

...and now you just gave me the perfect excuse from a moddeling perspective. Luckely the rules still suck..but at least now i have a excuse from a modeling perspective....

damn it !

~edit~

and to ad some weight to Vaktathi´s statement with regards to the IG ´sucking´ you in.

I now have added to my previous plans the ambition of getting me 1 sqaud of Elysian drop troops and 2 of those Melta squads. Another 90 pounds in the planning ;-).

..Come to think of it i should also get both squads that i can build like this a Vendetta...

Thanks a lot for giving me that bit of inspiration ...

Any other bright ideas of how i can use Forgeworld IG models for my standard Cadians ;-)

~edit 2~

i just noticed that the Vaktathi's statement was in a different thread :P the one about armies and when the would be finished :P

Lord Cook
17-11-2009, 13:54
It was called that before the war however.

Imperial Official: "What shall we call this new planet we have just settled?"

Psyker: "I have consulted the Emperor's Tarot, and studied the vagaries of the Warp. The future is revealed to me, and this planet shall be called WAAARRR!"

Imperial Official: "'War?' Why do you say that?"

Psyker: "Err... -cough- hmm. No reason."