PDA

View Full Version : How do you put your army list on the computer or paper?

HsojVvad
11-11-2009, 16:04
I am actually going to start my first game of 40K. I was told I should have my list on paper to show the opponents. So my question is, how do you guys and gals do it? Do you put it on a computer and then print it out? Do you just write it out on paper?

For those on who put it on a computer and then print it out, how do you do it? Did you make a program that you put you units in and it calculates the point costs? Do you use a spread sheet program to do it?

I just installed Open Office, (I refuse to pay M$ for it) and was thinking of just putting my stuff in there and then print it out. My hand writing is very messy so this way it will be nice and neat. I don't know nothing about spread sheets, those boxes confuse me and not shure what to do there. Is it easy to do? Does anyone have one made where I can use it?

I guess I will just use word pad and just type it out, but I am wundering if there is an easier way of doing it, so I can say I put in a Termie, costs me say 50 pts, and then it will total the calucualtions automatically.

Anyone willing to help me make a spread sheet program? Is there a place where I can download it? Has anyone made one and willing to share it with me?

If I have to type it out, what should I do first? Just put in HQ, then say what I got and how many points it costs and everthing that the mini's have? Is there somewhere on the web where I can get an idea on how a Force chart looks like, and what an example would be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lungboy
11-11-2009, 16:08
I make rough lists in notepad on my pc all the time to see how a different build might work points-wise, but always hand write my final lists because my printer is knackered. If i had a working one, i'd print them all, unless playing an impromptu game where i scribble down a list from memory.

Deetwo
11-11-2009, 16:16
I use Word.
Underlined and bolded unit names and their upgrades below on separate lines with points costs, model names and costs if I use any renamed units (for instance, I got a "psyker" CSM with psychic obliterators, thrall marines, "familiar" lesser daemons, etc) and print it out. I calculate points costs in my head and occasionally the windows calculator for doublechecking.

For 40k I rarely note down FoC slots, but sometimes do for FB lists.

Simple, clear and effective.

Thud
11-11-2009, 16:17
My Wraithwall list is small and simple, so pen and paper works great. But for my mech list, I use MSWord/Open Office and print it.

genestealer_baldric
11-11-2009, 16:22
Saw this over on BOLS forum this guy has made i like it and looks better than gw ones

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_3XUQ_7wPKt4/SvYC0vFNTaI/AAAAAAAAA6I/eidTOcqULP4/s1600-h/large_roster_40k_extendedrights_Page_1%5B4%5D.jpg

CoolKidRoc
11-11-2009, 16:24
http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=army_builder

That program has been my savior for 10 years now.

SPYDER68
Armybuilder is great to use, expecially for new players.

It takes a few months for new codex's to be put on there, but the rest is good.

shabbadoo
I used to use Army Builder, but I just type mine out in Word now. First you should create a master list of all of your units. Once you have all of your units typed up, then you can then just cut-n-paste them into different lists, tweaking anything as needed to get the right points total. Here is an example of my most commonly played army list:

1,000 Point Ork Army

HQ

125 pts. Warboss Skargrim: power klaw, shoota-skorcha, attack squig, ‘eavy armor, cybork body, boss pole, stikkbombz.

ELITES

150 pts. (10) Lootas: deffgunz.

TROOPS

106 pts. (11) Slugga Boyz: nob- power klaw, boss pole.
45 pts. Trukk: big shoota, reinforce ram, boarding plank.

112 pts. (12) Slugga Boyz: nob- power klaw, boss pole.
50 pts. Trukk: big shoota, reinforced ram, wrekkin’ ball.

130 pts. (20) Shoota Boyz: 2 big shootas.

85 pts. (20) Gretchin: 2 Runtherds- 1 w/shokk prod.

HEAVY SUPPORT

85 pts. Deffdread: big shoota, skorcha.

110 pts. Looted Wagon: boom gun, big shoota.
--------------------
998 points (56 orks, 20 Gretchin, 4 Vehicles)

This is a very simple method, but it is also every easy to read. Others I know use this method, but also include the base cost of the unit and point values for upgrades in parentheses after each item. You could also add a simple chart with unit stats if desired. Very simple.

volrath8754
11-11-2009, 16:26
amen Army builder is well worth the price simply the best electronic list builder out their.

cleansingfury
11-11-2009, 16:27
I use microsoft word and excel.
You were talking about a sheet that totals everything and thats what I ahve for Imperial Guard and Tyranids. It auto toals the units and then gives me the army's total points. I then take that and put the selections into a word document o it is eaasier to read and then I play from that.

For just starting just use wordpad or whatever you have and make sure it is easy to understand. Make sure you label everything and double chek your list at every change.
So basically just use wordpad. When I get my codexs from my house sometime this week I am going to start on a Spacemarine codex excel sheet of epic proportions to help build lists.
Depending on if it is allowed I might post it and the Tyranid sheet and repost the Imperial Guard sheet made by another good fellow whose name escapes me at the moment...

So just use wordpad! Make it neat! Have fun!

Surgency
11-11-2009, 16:27
I generally jot list concepts in a notebook specifically set aside for army lists. Then I'll go through, and actually create the list in there, recording points, gear, etc. When its all done, I'll transfer it to Army Builder, so I have a well organized, easy to read list with all the info for my army in one place

oninosweeney
11-11-2009, 16:29
yeah, i just write my own excel spread sheets... well, actually now i use Open Office.

it's easy if you have like 1 hour in you're entire life to learn how to use it.

The boyz
11-11-2009, 16:31
I normally just type my army lists up in either Excel or Word. Then if I want to change a list or create a new one, its a simple case usually of just copy n paste. Then Print said army list out and away I go.

carldooley
11-11-2009, 16:32
excel when making lists, then notepad before posting them onto warseer so that I can delete the points values and condense it so that it isn't so long.

shin'keiro
11-11-2009, 16:32
microsoft word - i have a template i made - then just fill in all the stats, names, equipment etc.

Son of the Lion
11-11-2009, 16:46
I use microsoft word and excel.

I can't believe it took nine posts to mention excel. typing it out in word / notepad and adding it up? You're all nuts! :p

Lungboy
11-11-2009, 17:01
Army Builder is ok but should never be relied upon to replace a codex. There are quite a few errors in points values, what units can take what wargear etc.

Bunnahabhain
11-11-2009, 17:46
It depends...
I've used both word processing and spreadsheet software. Never seen the point of army builder; my memory of the codex is more reliable than it.

I normally just do it by hand though. It's not hard to add up a few two or three digit numbers.

Mainly a habit from other systems, where the army normally consists of something like.
Company
Mortar squad
Engineer squad
2 x Su76
so takes little writing...

Imperius
11-11-2009, 17:54
Print this download out and write in your army list by hand.

http://www.box.net/shared/zc862rbd2t

I'm pretty sure its virus-free, I've downloaded in several times. It looks quite nice and organized to me. Easy to read from the stand point of your opponent.

Zaonite
11-11-2009, 18:01
Excel or any other spreadsheet programme.

Let the machine work out the points for you!

Darnok
11-11-2009, 18:07
I don't feel like getting old, but I must be a bit strange at least. I prefer to write my lists by hand, with pencil and paper. But then I'm an extremely casual player, and I need a list just for myself and for reference during the game. And writing a list with an actual codex book to flip through, some music in the background and a cup of hot tea next to me... yeah, that is a relaxing thing for me.

HsojVvad
11-11-2009, 18:22
I am old too lol, in my 40's, I guess it's better to start late than never eh? I am just trying to keep up to date with what most people do.

Thank you guys, it is greatly appreciated with what you showed me. I have downloaded and copied the sheets you guys have provided. They are nice, and it is helping me out very much.

Once again, thank you guys very much. You made my day easier now.

Corpse
11-11-2009, 18:27
Adopted a buddies system thats easy to use.

Points(Number of unit)Unit Name: Equipment+Wargear+Added options like a plasma gun, Sergeant (&/+1 attack bike for example if you *add a model instead of upgrade a model like the sergeant*)

Looks like this.

???(4) Space Marine Bikes: Twin-Linked Boltguns, Bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, +2 Meltaguns, Sergeant with Power Fist (+1) Attack Bike with Multi-Melta

You can also type it like this if its easier.

???(4+1) Space Marine Bikes: Twin-Linked Bolters, Bolt Pistols, Frag and Krak Grenades, +2 Meltaguns, Sergeant with Power Fist (&1) Attack Bike with Multi-Melta

I do this for easy paced reading because this format:

3 Bikes
2 Meltaguns, 3 Frags, 3 Kraks, 1 Pistol
1 Sergeant on Bike
Powerfist, Frag, Krak
1 Attack Bike
1 Twin-Linked Bolters, 1 Multi-Melta

Or anything similar to that is a big damn EYESORE to read. I see it all the time with shared lists and its bothersome. You use less lines and easier to piece together who has what when you 'group' the generalization rather then piece the models one by one. It works with units like nob bikers all equipped differently, but basic units need more narrowing.

Lord Damocles
11-11-2009, 18:37
Attachment for illustatative purposes.

(Usually minus the fluff bits after the list)

Nezalhualixtlan
11-11-2009, 19:15
I developed my own Excel file for creating Tyranid lists, it works out really well for me, easy to use and manipulate, and prints out nice neat lists with a minimum of work now that its all properly set up. I'm probably going to improve it when I remake it for the next codex. I thought about expanding it to other armies, but I'm just not that motivated.

I've had a few times I've needed to just hand write out the list with a pen and paper, but I hate having it be messy.

LKHERO
11-11-2009, 19:21
Both.

I still use a notepad + pen, or notepad on the computer.

I don't use army builder. I memorize the point costs of my frequently used units from my codex so I don't need the book most of the time.

But yeah, I can pretty much add point costs and units up in my head, so its very easy for me to modify my list when someone asks for a higher/lower point game.

szlachcic
11-11-2009, 19:35
I either use pen and paper if I don't have access to a computer or am looking over a new army book/codex. I feel that if you are working out new combinations or themes it helps to just sit down with the book and write up a number of lists.

Personally I don't use anything besides the Army Builder software once I am familiar with a particular army. Sure, it cost money, but it is well organized and you are able to have every single army for most of the popular game systems right at your fingertips. This doesn't replace the need for buying the codex, but it is great if you have players wanting to try out new armies without an initial purchase and for checking out potential lists for tournaments. The biggest advantage IMO is that you can literally build a list in seconds if you know what you want in it. The biggest disadvantage I can see is that most tournaments require a hand calculation of points costs in order to verify your army list. This is due to some incorrect points values in the past.

Really whatever your are the most comfortable with is what I would use. Starting out I would just use pen and paper or excel and maybe look into Army builder if you think you are going to stick with the hobby.

ReveredChaplainDrake
11-11-2009, 19:48
MS Word when I can, Pencil & Paper when I must. With Word, I usually do two columns, as my personal preference is playing 2000+ pt games. On paper, I cheat with abbreviations because I type 60wpm on a bad day, but my hand-writing has atrophied in quality and speed over the years. :angel:

Depending on the army, I have different formats.

Templars:
Crusader Squad: (unit's points cost) + (transport's points cost, if any) = (total points cost)
-(number) Initiates w/ (weapon config)
-1 Initiate w/ (special weapon)
-1 Initiate w/ (heavy weapon / CCW)
-(number) Neophtyes w/ (weapon config)
-(transport) w/ (transport upgrades; e.g. Smoke Launchers, Extra Armor): (transport's points cost)

Crusader Squad: 225 pts + 268 pts = 493 pts
-8 Initiates w/ Bolt Pistols & CCWs
-1 Initiate w/ Meltagun
-1 Initiate w/ Bolt Pistol & Power Fist
-4 Neophytes w/ Bolt Pistol & CCW
-LRC w/ Smoke Launchers

CSM:
(number) (Unit): (points)
-Icon of (patron, if any)
-Special Weapons (if any)
-Heavy Weapon (if any)
-Champion w/ (wargear) (Sometimes I name the champions.)
-Transport (if any)

10 Chaos Marines: 275 pts
-Icon of Khorne
-2 Flamers
-Champion Kai-Barax w/ Power Fist & Combi-Flamer
-Chaos Rhino

Tyranids:
(Quantity; unless the brood is a single model) (Unit Species): (Points)
-stat morphs: (if any; basically anything that modifies a statline, demarked as what statline got modified; "Bonded Exoskeleton" is gibberish to non-Tyranid players, but everybody knows what "increased Toughness" means)
-biomorphs: (any non-compulsory item that would constitute "wargear", if any)
-bioweapons: (non-compulsory weapons; ignored for the "tooth and claw" units like Zoanthropes, Genestealers, and (if I used any) Rippers)
-psychic powers: (if the unit has any non-compulsory powers; usually only matters for Tyrants and Zoanthropes)

5 Tyranid Warriors: 225 pts
-stat morphs: WS, Str, I, Sv
-biomorphs: Leaping, Flesh Hooks
-bioweapons: Scything Talons, Rending Claws

Of course, sometimes I just use the same list against the same people so much that everybody has the list memorized. I go for months without changing my list because it makes transportation easier. At a certain point, writing the list down is just redundant. When playing against new people, all the vets I play against vouch that my list is indeed the value I claim it to be. When I ever have to change my list to accommodate lower points values, I always use my big lists as a base, and I start by taking out my redundant elements (2nd Obliterator unit, Flamer Raptors, swapping the Princes for "mortal" Lords, etc).

EvgO
12-11-2009, 09:03
Well, since there are no GW's around where I live and since we don't get to play that often I've constructed a list with all the options AND special rules.
Basically you have the list and in the back - an appendix, with the descriptions of the rules.

Translated in in my native language though. Here's a preview :) -
Helps a lot when some people unfamiliar with the army get to play it.

Murphey
12-11-2009, 09:04
Microsoft Excel.

Best way to do it. I put a note tag on the cells that contain the cost, explaining what it is.

~Murphey

mr.kislev
12-11-2009, 09:12
exel by a mile if you now how to use it it is awsome. for example 10 grey hunters 2 plasma guns would be =10*??+??. (cant post points here)

Selorian
12-11-2009, 09:27
I tend to use a Spreadsheet which I then print off.

It's easy to make alterations to your list and automatically calculates your point total.

Jack5h1t
12-11-2009, 09:33
Below is a link to a website with excel spreadsheets army list builders. Very good setup. I used to use the Guard, Blood angels and Ork ones before I got army builder. Just add your units and wargear and it tots up the points.

http://www.alice40k.tripod.com/
(http://www.alice40k.tripod.com/)

Cheeslord
12-11-2009, 09:34
I've recently started using excel (used to write them down on paper)
- I try to list the stats of the units I buy next to them (can make the list go to a couple of pages (I always print it our before battle) but its really handy, especially for 'Nids where the stats vary a lot)

And of course you can always go back to old army lists to make new ones quickly, and already have the stats.

Mark.

Warpcrafter
12-11-2009, 09:57
I just scribble it on a piece of paper. Life's too short to waste time on anything more complicated.

Flinch
12-11-2009, 10:10
I use openoffice spreadsheets, but manipulating data on a spreadsheet is second nature to me. Many tabs, many army types, many army sizes.

I mainly do this because I like to. Each to their own,

Petay1985
12-11-2009, 14:33
I tend to do most of my intial thoughts on paper with a good old fashioned pencil or pen, but final army lists tend to be done on Excel or Word depending on the size of the army (or the complexity of the maths :p)

PaddyF
12-11-2009, 14:35
Put mine on google docs so I can access them on my iPhone on the move to save on printing it every time I make a change.

If you want scrap paper just get a note book or something.

Whitehorn
12-11-2009, 14:40
I am actually going to start my first game of 40K. I was told I should have my list on paper to show the opponents. So my question is, how do you guys and gals do it? Do you put it on a computer and then print it out? Do you just write it out on paper?

I use Google Docs. You have the equivalent of Microsoft Excel on there. You can share the files and print them off. It does all the maths for you.

Example:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0An-eV4Nh5AFodGw5akxRRHdMbHZBMkZza3dGUkJlNWc&hl=en

I chose an non-official example so no on can fry me over points costs :)

BobTheZombie
12-11-2009, 15:08
I use Excel, then write out on a scrap of paper when I invariably forget to bring the Excel list to the game. Ah, the joys of redoing your list as fast as you can with the aid of your phone calculator...

Bolter Bait
12-11-2009, 15:32
I just write my list out on paper, with each entry detailed - wargear is one line, weapons take the second. After each item, I write down the point cost and add them all up at the end. For things that are doubled up, I just put 2x before them and subtotal the points for them.

For example (off the top of my head)

HQ - 1 Hive Tyrant - V base, Hooks X pt, 2x Glands Y pts, Wings Z pts
2x Scytals W pts. VWXYZ pts

Then I'd go down the list for each Troops choice and so forth. Opponent is free to check it, but we're really casual and trusting where I play.

Buftoon
12-11-2009, 16:15
b4z put a really useful guard army calculator on here. It uses excel and will ensure your list is legal. I have used it for every game to calculate and tweak lists, then write down the finished product on paper.
If anyone can give the link it might help other guard players :)

Cry of the Wind
12-11-2009, 16:29
I use excel as the auto-calc function is awesome to see how many points you have used. I've never been a fan of army builder, too much clicking for me or something.

I will resize the final product to fit onto one page and print off as many copies as I need for a tournament or any other event. If back story is required I'll write it up in word and print it on the back of the army list.

LKHERO
12-11-2009, 17:39
I think as long as you know your army book well enough, formulating costs in your head is pretty easy.

Out of all my gaming buddies that play, I'm the only one that can do this for some reason.

Edonil
12-11-2009, 18:48
Army Builder is ok but should never be relied upon to replace a codex. There are quite a few errors in points values, what units can take what wargear etc.

I've heard this before, but excepting a recent glitch with the (brand new) Space Wolves file, I haven't ever encountered it. In fact, I've still seen more errors of calculation from people doing it out by hand. Myself, I use Army Builder primarily, although with my Wolves I do it out in Open Office's version of Word. I'll use Army Builder to organize it, and that's what I take with me to tournaments to hand out to folks, but all of the initial work I do out in my head. Also, when building a list for an army for the first time, I check my math from Army Builder against the codex, to ensure that the points add up (and they have yet to be wrong, to be honest). For sheer ease of use, and the ability to experiment with other armies, I'd highly recommend investing in Army Builder.

Edit: I stand corrected, I have encountered someone who found a serious glitch, but considering that the person they were talking about came from a group of players who regularly cheated, I personally am of the opinion that they just modified Army Builder and were hoping no one checked against the codex.

DuskRaider
12-11-2009, 18:53
I actually just hand write my lists. I have good handwriting as it is, and I also lack a printer (I'm lame). I use Army Builder to come up with a list first, but I've never had any complaints, and while it may not look as fancy as some other folk's lists, I don't care quite frankly.

Jayden63
12-11-2009, 20:51
I have an Excel spread sheet that I use. You have to put in all the costs and type out individual items, but it makes calculations easier and it looks nice and clean.

Creeping Dementia
12-11-2009, 20:55
I use a pencil and a piece of paper.

Well thats just not exciting at all!!!

For a tourney I'll use Word and type it up though.

ashc
12-11-2009, 21:33
I use excel spreadsheets with all the units and gear listed with costs, just to make sure I haven't missed anything or miscalculated anything. Been using the same spreadsheet for about 10+ years i think!

I feel sorry for constipated wargamers, they have to work it out with a pencil ;)

HsojVvad
12-11-2009, 23:02
Wow alot of you guys use spread sheets. Me a computer dummy. I didn't want to buy MS Office, so I got Open Office. I hear they are alomst the same. So is there anywhere, where I can go on how to learn it? I havn't checked the Open Office website yet, and will go there, but I am wundering if you guys know a good site where I should go to learn how to do spread sheets or make an Army list spread sheet.

Thanks Imperius, I have been using the link you gave me. I don't have to write anything buy hand, I can edit it through the computer on it. Very nice, thank you very much.

Thanks once again to everyone here. You gave me good ideas on what to do, and the lists you gave me came in handy making my army quicker. Thank you.

Silentexile
12-11-2009, 23:15
If my units (excepting the HQ) don't have more than 3 pieces of wargear/upgrades, then I use this format:

==Force Org Slot==
(Number of Models in Unit)x Unit name - Total Unit Cost
---(Number of upgrades purchased if applicable) Upgrade 1 Name [upgrade cost]
---Upgrade 2 Name [upgrade cost]
---Upgrade 3 Name [upgrade cost]

Ex.
==Troops==
10x Blargh Rawrs - 167
---10 Fist[3]
---5 Foot[5]
---Mouth[20]

If I end up with lots of things with more than 3 upgrades, then I use this format, say if I were to play Tau, since they buy tons of upgrades:

==Force Org Slot==
(Number of Models in Unit)x Unit name - Total Unit Cost
---(Number of upgrades purchased if applicable) Upgrade 1 Name [upgrade cost], (Number of upgrades purchased if applicable) Upgrade 2 Name [upgrade cost], (Number of upgrades purchased if applicable) Upgrade 3 Name [upgrade cost], etc.

==Elites==
5x Mercenaries - 215
---Squad Leader[18], Big Gun[20], 5 Grenades[3]

If I'm posting it on a forum, I'll drop the unit upgrade costs, but still follow the most convenient format of the two (depends on how many units or how much wargear I buy, but I prefer style 1 since I play mech Eldar.) I write it out in Word because I'm too lazy to relearn the excel programming I learned 4 years ago and promptly forgot. Having almost every point cost in the codex memorized means that adding things is a simple as using a calculator, don't even have to look at the book 95% of the time.

ashc
12-11-2009, 23:22
Wow alot of you guys use spread sheets. Me a computer dummy. I didn't want to buy MS Office, so I got Open Office. I hear they are alomst the same. So is there anywhere, where I can go on how to learn it? I havn't checked the Open Office website yet, and will go there, but I am wundering if you guys know a good site where I should go to learn how to do spread sheets or make an Army list spread sheet.

Thanks Imperius, I have been using the link you gave me. I don't have to write anything buy hand, I can edit it through the computer on it. Very nice, thank you very much.

Thanks once again to everyone here. You gave me good ideas on what to do, and the lists you gave me came in handy making my army quicker. Thank you.

Hey,

In response to your question, you can use both MS Excel and OpenOffice Calc (I use openoffice too so i know it works), and they do exactly the same thing. Online tutorials can give you a good idea of how to use it, I just use it to add up my total unit costs and do the rest of the work with a calculator.

Hope that helps!

Ash

Hicks
12-11-2009, 23:49
I use excel. It's easy to use, does the adding up by itself and it's really easy to make small changes in you list with it.

mdauben
13-11-2009, 00:41
I used Excel to create army lists before I discovered Army Builder. I use that exclusively now. Really either one works fine and both are better than doing it by hand. Its true that there are some errors in AB (although there are dedicated people constantly working on keeping the files accurate and up to date) but despite that, AB created lists are more accurate than 90% of the hand-witten lists I have seen. Sorry, I don't care how well people claim to know their codex or how good they say thay are at math, hand written lists almost always have mistakes. :p

Anyway, my handwriting is so terrible even I have trouble reading it sometimes! So I don't even try to hand write lists. In addition to that I have seen a number of tournaments that require computer printed lists so I would say its just as well to get in the habit. ;)

Grimbad
13-11-2009, 00:48
I weave unicorn hair into a fabric, then coat it in molten titanium to form an indestructible metal tablet. From there, I use a very small hammer to beat each and every letter in, using a caged red dwarf star to keep the metal at temperatures so as to be pliable. When finished, I send the list off to the ghost of Sun Tzu for his tactical appraisal, then revise according to his recommendations. When satisfied, I pour molten gold into the engraved letters, before sealing it all in with a layer of griffon blood.

So yeah, notepad [the computer program] and a calculator, or very occasionally pen and paper. Better to have it on the computer where you can move units around and copy them into other lists and stuff.

DuskRaider
13-11-2009, 01:44
I weave unicorn hair into a fabric, then coat it in molten titanium to form an indestructible metal tablet. From there, I use a very small hammer to beat each and every letter in, using a caged red dwarf star to keep the metal at temperatures so as to be pliable. When finished, I send the list off to the ghost of Sun Tzu for his tactical appraisal, then revise according to his recommendations. When satisfied, I pour molten gold into the engraved letters, before sealing it all in with a layer of griffon blood.

Hmm... I like this. I might be changing my style up, after all!

march10k
13-11-2009, 03:31
Excel. I'd lie and say I figure the points in my head, but there's a great button on my keyboard that launches the little calculator application in windows' accessories....I put the name of the unit in the first column, details like wargear and psychic powers in the middle (by far the widest), and points in a very thin column on the right edge of the page.

Imperius
13-11-2009, 04:27

Really? What program do you use to open it?
I've been using Adobe Reader and it doesn't let me type into it :p.

HsojVvad
13-11-2009, 14:42
Really? What program do you use to open it?
I've been using Adobe Reader and it doesn't let me type into it :p.

When I opened it up, it goes to Adobe Reader. I clicked on it by accident when I was moving and noticed that I could change it, and it also adds the point totals at the bottom. It is a great little program. I just type in the names and the stats, put in the points in the point collum and volia, totaled at the bottom of the screen saying Total Points.

I love it, I bow down to you Imperius for giving me the link.

The adobe I use was the one that came with the computer, and it just upgraded itself when there were updates.

*edit* I just doubled checked, it says I have Adobe Reader 9. Not shure if that would make a difference or not.

Lars Porsenna
13-11-2009, 15:13
I also use Excel. Makes it very easy to add entries, change number of figures, etc. since the formulae auto-calculates the new values for me...

Damon.

tu33y
13-11-2009, 15:17
i just cant use paper.... excel either on my pc or my 'phone. i like to taylor armies to opponents and i like the idea of being able to cut-and-paste with everything added up at the bottom for me!

Skalfgrimm
13-11-2009, 15:40
[URL="http://www.onlinecodex.de/webstart/start_wh40k.jnlp"]

It is a German application, but you should easily know what is what (a space marine is a space marine, a necron a necron and so on).

HsojVvad
13-11-2009, 15:46
[URL="http://www.onlinecodex.de/webstart/start_wh40k.jnlp"]

It is a German application, but you should easily know what is what (a space marine is a space marine, a necron a necron and so on).

Hey that is good, don't have to go to flip through all my codicies.

Danka schon

ichbala
13-11-2009, 15:58
The good ´ol paper and pen

JHZ
13-11-2009, 19:39
I just remember them in my head. It's not that hard once you've done the math and arrived to the desired number. You know that all that's on the table is Xpts. total, and since all my models are WYSIWYG (and I know what my conversions are suppose to be), it's easy to know what they have. 10 Marines with missile, plasma and PW sarge, 5 terminators with chainfist assault cannon, librarian with terminator armour, gate and vortex, etc. etc.

Why do I need to write anything down? I've been to tournaments with mind lists. Want to know what I have? Ask me. Organizers want a copy of the list? Gimme a pen and a piece of paper, and I'll write it up for ya.

Sometimes I scribble up lists with NotePad just for ideas for the future, like for an upcomming tournament or something.

ashc
14-11-2009, 18:07
Excel. I'd lie and say I figure the points in my head, but there's a great button on my keyboard that launches the little calculator application in windows' accessories....I put the name of the unit in the first column, details like wargear and psychic powers in the middle (by far the widest), and points in a very thin column on the right edge of the page.

We must be army list buddies march10k, that's exactly how I do mine :p

Imperius
14-11-2009, 20:38
When I opened it up, it goes to Adobe Reader. I clicked on it by accident when I was moving and noticed that I could change it, and it also adds the point totals at the bottom. It is a great little program. I just type in the names and the stats, put in the points in the point collum and volia, totaled at the bottom of the screen saying Total Points.

I love it, I bow down to you Imperius for giving me the link.

The adobe I use was the one that came with the computer, and it just upgraded itself when there were updates.

*edit* I just doubled checked, it says I have Adobe Reader 9. Not shure if that would make a difference or not.

Glad I could help, I'm going to do the arduous task of figuring out how to work with Adobe Reader.

Edit, silly me. I'm using Adobe 7 on a vista.

puppetmaster24
14-11-2009, 20:39
always on pen and paper for me. sometimes the old ways are best.

victorpofa
15-11-2009, 04:02
Rough and initial lists are done on paper. But the final list is done in the computer. I use a tweaked two column MS Word template I made. The first column has the army list, then general tactics. The second column, or the rest of it if the army list extends to the second column I have lines that act as a notes section to remind myself of things, keep track of wounds and such, and scribble thoughts on how to change my tactics or list in the future.

It is intended to be printed out and actively used while playing. And I can just hand my opponent the list at the start before using it in the ways described above.

Spreadsheets annoy me for this sort of thing even if they can calculate points for you.

ImhotepMagi
15-11-2009, 04:07
Good old fashioned excel:

One column for the name of the unit/upgrade.
One column for the cost of each unit/upgrade.
One column for the total cost of each unit individually.
Stats of each unit to the right of those.

HsojVvad
15-11-2009, 04:11
Edit, silly me. I'm using Adobe 7 on a vista.

So are you going to upgrade Adobe now? :p

Troah
15-11-2009, 04:47
Paper, always. There is no computers for me when it comes to making an army.

AndrewGPaul
15-11-2009, 10:50
I've heard this before, but excepting a recent glitch with the (brand new) Space Wolves file, I haven't ever encountered it. In fact, I've still seen more errors of calculation from people doing it out by hand. Myself, I use Army Builder primarily, although with my Wolves I do it out in Open Office's version of Word. I'll use Army Builder to organize it, and that's what I take with me to tournaments to hand out to folks, but all of the initial work I do out in my head. Also, when building a list for an army for the first time, I check my math from Army Builder against the codex, to ensure that the points add up (and they have yet to be wrong, to be honest). For sheer ease of use, and the ability to experiment with other armies, I'd highly recommend investing in Army Builder.

Edit: I stand corrected, I have encountered someone who found a serious glitch, but considering that the person they were talking about came from a group of players who regularly cheated, I personally am of the opinion that they just modified Army Builder and were hoping no one checked against the codex.

The Chaos army list for Warmaster has the wrong data for some of the magic items.

Personally, I just write down what non-obvious wargear or magic items a unit or character has, for my own reminder.

Blizzinam
15-11-2009, 11:19
I use army builder as much as possible, i had to go back to pen and paper with the SW codex which i found kinda annoying really. So much easier to work on a list when you can click around a bit.

tsutek
15-11-2009, 11:39
ASCII text files work for me.

I have a template textfile with ready made FoC slot blocks in sizes of multiples of 50 points (100pts, 150pts, 200pts). Making a list is just copypasting to get to the number I want, with minor tweaks here and there after I'm close to the game total.

When I'm done I just xfer it into my phone. I never print any lists (or pretty much anything these days), paper belongs in the forests. I even have my BA dex in the phone now, stopped carrying the old prints around ;)

Grand Warlord
15-11-2009, 13:59
For my lists (40k and fantasy) I will type out a majority of the information on MS Word so I can minimize having to run through my army book and rule book.

olberon
15-11-2009, 14:11
i just bake a pdf of my armylist, which i make in openoffice, and uploadthat to my phone or just take my laptop with me (pretty usefull somethimes)

DaSpaceAsians
15-11-2009, 14:31
I use pencil, calculator and Canada notebook to do my lists. I then check on the computer b4z's IG army list sheet in order to avoid stuff like miscalculating and ending with 2700pts instead of 3000pts.

oninosweeney
18-11-2009, 19:34
Document 18
Spreadsheet 23
Paper & Pen 17
Programs 9
Other 1

seems the spreadsheet is the majority, but not by much.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
18-11-2009, 19:42
Chaulk up another one for spreadsheets. I put together an excel spreadsheet that calculates the number of points I'm spending on each FoC category and the number of models (infantry and tank) my army contains. I love it and wouldn't leave home without it.

Xuntra
18-11-2009, 20:00
I write mine out on a chalk board like some crazy Einsteinian theory.

Nah, just kidding. I write mine up on pen and paper, but I also type out mine at home. I have yet to get a printer, but once I do, I'll be doing it all via document. I should get on the spreadsheet bandwagon. They're easy to do and do the math for ya.

HsojVvad
18-11-2009, 20:14
How do you make spreadsheets? Is there a site that I can go to that will help me teach how to make one?

witchking
18-11-2009, 20:22
I make my lists on my pc and photocopied my codex so i can copy/paste important rules on my troop sheet. Saves me so much time when i play.

Angelwing
18-11-2009, 20:49
MS word for master lists covering everything I own. I'll have a box for each FOC heading, then list everything underneath. I have a long box down the right hand side that has the points costs in. All equipment, options, squad / unit identification is contained on these lists. I'll have these print outs alongside my army list for that game so I can refer back to them for details. My list for the game is written neatly (ish) out on paper, usually with just the unit name and point cost, plus any variation from the master list eg. psychic powers for that game etc. Adding up normally done in my head, with a final add up on the calculator to confirm.

chromedog
18-11-2009, 21:01
If I have to submit it for a tourney - Excel or calc (I have a .xls sheet already made up for each army and just copy unit entries).

For my club. Pen and paper and codex. Adding up the numbers in my head. Doublechecked with calculator. Haven't been wrong yet.

For interclub meets, and at clubs where handwritten lists are not accepted, I'll print out the excel file.

@HsojVvad: 40 isn't too old to start learning excel or calc. I started when I was 39 and can do a few things with it (my wife has used it for the last 20 years and is a lot faster though). OpenOffice Calc should be able to open most excel files (there is a patch available for MS Office 2007 natives, too. The .x files - .xlsx, etc) and most of the commands are the same.

CommissarGuard
18-11-2009, 23:07
for my list's i use word it is easy to do and looks good so if you loose it you have got it all ther to just reprint it

Lord Solar Plexus
19-11-2009, 09:05
I use excel or its OpenOffice equivalent, always.

PatrikW
19-11-2009, 09:31
Mostly pen and paper for me, often when i want to make a list im not near a computer :p

Deftoneus
19-11-2009, 15:08
ArmyBuilder for me, for a few reasons.

I tend to like my lists looking neat...i'm compulsive that way so i end out writing them out a few times if i make changes. Additionally, I sometimes just read it off of my screen and dont print it at all. I'm trying to save a few trees here!

That combined with the fact I'm lazy and dont like to write them in the first place helps as well!

Hypaspist
19-11-2009, 16:11
How do you make spreadsheets? Is there a site that I can go to that will help me teach how to make one?

http://www.alice40k.tripod.com/

This is pretty good, I'd have done a few things slightly differently, but whoever put these together is a pretty competent Excel user.
PM me if you want to see the workings behind it and you don't know how to get past the Excel password protections.
:)

bigcheese76
21-11-2009, 16:51
I use Excel to write my army lists initially but usually end up copying them out onto paper for games rather than printing because my printer is broken. I use formulae on the spreadsheet to add up the unit cost for me, by inputing the cost of certain items.

silentsmoke
21-11-2009, 20:02
wolflair+iphone= pdf army list

Dread Lime
21-11-2009, 20:52
I made an open office spread sheet that has all the units in the chaos codex in it along with the upgrades and and point values. When I want to make a list, I just enter how many of each option I want and open office adds up the cost for each unit and keeps a running total for the army. :D

Lothlanathorian
21-11-2009, 23:47
I rock the pen and paper. Actually, I use a mechanical pencil. It's purple and full of awesome. I like writing and I prefer it to typing. It just feels right. And, when I first got into 40K, I used to sit in class and write up army lists and such all the time. It was pretty nerdy, but I had the points cost for every piece of wargear, model and upgrade for Chaos, Space Marines and Imperial Guard memorized. It was crazy. And writing it out by hand feels so much more...well, like I am doing something. Hell, I still write out by hand any short stories I am writing.

DaSpaceAsians
22-11-2009, 00:18
You know what guys? This thread reminds of a little story. It happened while on my trip to NYC with my school. It was the first weekend after the new IG codex came out so I brought it with me to do lists and figure out what to buy. So I start writing down lists when a friend looks at me and goes WTF? You didn't bring your math homework and another guy says something really random. I answer: I'm organising an army. Another girl then says: I wanna be in your army. I answer: fine by me, you'll be in the conscripts and I use my conscripts to clear land mines and make the enemy expend ammo killing you and your friends. Are you sure you want to be in my army anymore?The look on her face was priceless.

nightgant98c
22-11-2009, 04:40
I've made mine alot of different ways. I like army builder alot, but I don't have the newest version. I've used pencil and paper. If I have a little time I like to use index cards with stats, and points for invidual units.

Rob'
22-11-2009, 11:26
Just made a program with Open Office's copy of Excel on my computer for every army I own. Personal use. Shattered what was left of my sanity, but at least I don't make anymore points mistakes when designing my armies, and I just have to print the last page.

Finn Sourscowl
22-11-2009, 12:39
Excel or Army Builder most of the time...

Except when I don't have a printer and then it's all old skool - on a piece of paper with a calculator :P

Harms66
23-11-2009, 19:29
I use excel to calculate my Army list. Once the list is complete by simple cut and paste I can create any sized army in a short time, and print it off.
Though the calculation formula took some time to set up in the first place, but unlike Army Painter it’s free.