PDA

View Full Version : The Imperial Guard will ruin my life.

Grom Wronghand
11-11-2009, 20:03
My god. I had no idea when getting into the Guard how much it sucks you in. I'd heard people say things like a Guard army is never complete and such, but I didn't take it too seriously until I started. I'm writing ridiculous amounts of fluff and such on regimental organisation, background for their planet, every unit and commander and their history. So far I've written preliminary background for over 250 officers (!), including tactics and history for each. And I've only got one battalion box!

So for all you loyal commanders of the Guard out there, how much do you get sucked into writing fluff for your armies? Tell us your horror stories about the sheer number of little plastic men you've collected to die for the Emperor.

Peace out.

Bloodknight
11-11-2009, 20:14
I'd heard people say things like a Guard army is never complete and such, but I didn't take it too seriously until I started.

Never mind, it's even worse in reality when the dolls come into play ;)

So for all you loyal commanders of the Guard out there, how much do you get sucked into writing fluff for your armies

I'm a lazy git and don't write any fluff at all; I've always had a dislike for fanfic and so I am not going to produce any myself.

Tell us your horror stories about the sheer number of little plastic men you've collected to die for the Emperor.

Well, little metal Mordians. Roughly 200 of them plus an Armoured Company and some off-world and abhuman auxilia such as 40 Stormtroopers, an Ogryn platoon (Apoc formation Ogryn Auxilia), a Rough Rider platoon of 30 cavalry, a couple of Ratlings and some Imperial Beastmen (used as Penal Legion, I like the RT IG Beastmen fluff).

I am now slowly starting my superheavy detachment and building more beastmen.

sigur
11-11-2009, 20:15
Uhm....yeah, I have quite a lot of IG miniatures. And I wrote a few pages of fluff for them. Errr....that's it. But yeah, you're right. :cheese:

LKHERO
11-11-2009, 20:17
Take a breather and relax buddy. It's only a hobby.

Enjoy the real world.. unless you're being paid to write all these fluffy bits.

Formerly Wu
11-11-2009, 20:17
Well, let's just say you know you have a problem when you look at your army and think, "hey, only two more platoons for a full company! And then 25 Valkyries to finish the transports..."

But in terms of fluff? Home system, economics and sociology thereof; sector military history; commanding officers past and personalities. Yeah, I'm deep in.

Imperius
11-11-2009, 20:32
It's fun, my Guard Army is about Apocalypse scale but I thought up of enough organization for an entire planet. It looked sort of like a family tree of hierarchy.

Sircyn
11-11-2009, 20:45
Yeah I've done my home systems socio economic history, the current political and military situation and how my Regiment fits into that. I also have a bunch of stuff from a past narrative campaign with my nids and a pals guard that all feeds into it. I've got an armoured company and an infantry company... now buying Chimeras for my mechanization program >.<

I toy with other armies, but I am a Guard player deep down always. Once you have been bitten by the guard, it doesn't let go. next to Ork players Guard have the most dedicated players, Orks vs Guard games in my experience have always been fun because of that.

Vaktathi
11-11-2009, 20:51
My god. I had no idea when getting into the Guard how much it sucks you in. I'd heard people say things like a Guard army is never complete and such, but I didn't take it too seriously until I started. It really will, god it really will. I don't think I'd really ever add anything to my Tau or Eldar, and probably not any more to my CSM's, but my IG I could go on with almost forever.

So for all you loyal commanders of the Guard out there, how much do you get sucked into writing fluff for your armies? Not too much, enough for a reasonable backstory for ****s and giggles and because having a backstory gets you points for tournaments around here.

Tell us your horror stories about the sheer number of little plastic men you've collected to die for the Emperor.

Peace out.30something tanks, hundreds of infantry, 3 superheavies...please no, I don't even want to think about it.

chub
11-11-2009, 20:54
i managed to beat the guard habit pretty much by taking a deathworld army up against a tank company *oh ye if nobody realised flak armoured troops dont do well against tanks* so i gave most of it to my brother still have about a 100 points worth left though

MajorWesJanson
11-11-2009, 21:02
I have a couple platoons of Guard and am working on a full Valkyrie air company.

My Marines take up more of my time and space though, with 2/3 of a Terminator 1st company, and probably another three and a half companies worth of troops...

The Anarchist
11-11-2009, 21:27
I'm lucky i now see, tank company means few less people to ahve to go into full and lving detail on.

Bunnahabhain
11-11-2009, 22:07
Not too much, enough for a reasonable backstory for ****s and giggles and because having a backstory gets you points for tournaments around here.

30something tanks, hundreds of infantry, 3 superheavies...please no, I don't even want to think about it.

Snap.

I'm on about that scale, and slowly adding units here and there, as I think of interesting conversions, or new units become available, like valkyries.

EDIT. Armies don't count unless they're painted. Mine is.

Hicks
11-11-2009, 22:20
My addiction stopped when I realised I would never be able to field all my infantry and when I started getting serious about painting my armies.

I love my Steel Legion more than anything, but everytime I look at it I can't muster the courage to start the painting. It's going to take me ages just to get to 1500pts. I mean, this (http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/HugoS_album/Steel%20Legion/SteelLegion001.jpg) is just the troops choices and not even all of it.

My addiction not only stopped, I'm actually really thinking of thining my force.

Am I happy to be painting Plague Marines at 23pts a pop right now? Oh yes!

Grom Wronghand
11-11-2009, 23:42
In my defence, it didn't take me all that long to do the fluff... I basically based it all on russian history with certain battalions beign very loosely designd around cossacks, tatars, far eastern russians varangians etc., being a bit of a buff in that area. And I've always loved doing any creative writing. My favourite officer so far has to be Lev Tolsty, who I based on Leo Tolstoy (I'm halfway through war and peace). Ironic considerign he was a pacifist.

jason_sation
12-11-2009, 00:04
I can't stop buying Cadian stuff, and while I occasionally think of collecting another army like Tau or Chaos, I also think equally about just starting a different Guard army!

guillimansknight
12-11-2009, 00:07
Welcome to the fodder

Someones gotta pay for it and that's gonna be you untill you take over a planet and raise tithes for it.

Thornz
12-11-2009, 00:09
I was sucked in ... but I'm loving it.

The fluff is great, the models are good and getting better + a huge range, the rules are good, & you can remove handfules of men at a time and still be compedative. I thought I was bad making a 20 page book of fluff on their home planet "Thorran Primus".

UrielSynthesis
12-11-2009, 00:13
I just ordered my first squad of Elysians for my new IG army.

10 guardsmen + respirators + slowest shipping = 92 United States Dollars

Bear in mind this is an infantry army (a couple Valks and Sentinels, everything else is infantry).

oh wait, you meant 'ruin my life' in a facetious manner...

Grimbad
12-11-2009, 00:46
It started out pretty quietly, I decided (back when GW was selling mordians for five dollars each) that after every hundred or so points of orks I'd buy a squad of 'em and mount them on square bases. Eventually, the goal was to have a 50-man block of troops that marched towards the enemy in an avalanche of epic fail. Not to win, but for the image of each squad in the platoon breaking off and fleeing, one by one, as ordnance tore the unit apart. Of course now with combined squads that's not a worry.
Anyways, I forgot about that for a long while and the mordians hunted dust bunnies in the shadowy pits of the egg cartons they lived in. I later saw 5 mordian mortars on ebay for a good price and bought them, with the new Guard codex I had to have a punisher to match my infantry, and I had some lemans lying around that I probably would never get around to looting for the orks, so I converted one. Had to get the codex after that, then off to the GW store to see about some dudes and oh hey vostroyans fit the theme and work well for grenadier vets wow I'll need some more tanks oh I have the best idea for a vanquisher and huh I can make an executioner in the same way that's pretty good looking but now I have more turrets than hulls what if I want to field them all at the same time guess I'll have to take another tank out of the ork department. So the army slowly built up out of all these images of neat units with a general theme of 'old-fashioned' guard rather than the futuristic look of the cadians. Now I have this image of a squad of Tallarns swooping in riding a valkyrie, robes and turbans snapping around in the wind. Might have to do that after I finish painting what I have. And so it goes on.
Meanwhile, the exact same thing happens with my orks, though they've settled into a single, unified theme and will probably stay there.

polymphus
12-11-2009, 00:55
You know, I had over 100 guardsmen, three russes, two vanquishers (FW), a hydra (FW), 8 chimeras and about 20 heavy weapon teams. I wrote my World's background, my general's background and all my commissars' background. That's it. You guys make me feel like half a guardsman.

:(

march10k
12-11-2009, 01:43

Peace out.

Plastic? Plastic? We don't need no stinkin plastic! My 223 cadians are all metal!

Blitz001
12-11-2009, 01:52
ive got almost a company of infantry, a armoured company, 2 hell hound squadrens, artillary, and 2 super heavies...and by god i have only just begun!!!!!!!!!!

Still havent gotten any fluff down but ive had a ton of ideas in my head for a long time now.

Blitz001
12-11-2009, 01:53
Plastic? Plastic? We don't need no stinkin plastic! My 223 cadians are all metal!

I'm quoting this for...i dont know man i just love it rofl

MrP
12-11-2009, 03:03
Nothing to do? Got some spare cash to buy plasticard in great quantities? Got a spare room? A real spare room, not a guest bedroom, but a normal-sized room. Why not build yourself several score of vehicles so you can make so many Apoc formations of tanks that your first turn of shooting would obliterate anything in front of your army? Don't ask me about fluff - I've never been too interested, though I should probably try to be.

Kriegfreak
12-11-2009, 03:49
Guard for life!

Inquisitor_Tolheim
12-11-2009, 04:01
So there I was, sitting happy on my Grey Knights/Stormtroopers, thinking "This is great! I have a full army, plenty of different options to switch around, I can enjoy this hobby without spending any more large amounts of cash on it or time painting!"

Then I looked at the inducted guard and though "Ah why not grab a unit or two? I'll just pick up the Codex and see how I like them." And somewhere, deep in my wallet, a cry echoed through the warp.

My guard are now my main army, I've written several pages of backstory for the planet, general force organization, and general of my Guard army, I'm absolutely broke, and I buy tanks compulsively. I sincerely doubt there is a single other army that pulls players in and keeps convincing them to buy ONE MORE MODEL like the Guard do. The new options to squadron tanks has not helped curb my buying enthusiasm either.

Kriegfreak
12-11-2009, 06:12
Then I looked at the inducted guard and thought "Ah why not grab a unit or two? I'll just pick up the Codex and see how I like them." And somewhere, deep in my wallet, a cry echoed through the warp.

LMAO, qft man. I know the feeling! But its worth it.

Lord Solar Plexus
12-11-2009, 10:11
I'm writing ridiculous amounts of fluff and such on regimental organisation, background for their planet, every unit and commander and their history. So far I've written preliminary background for over 250 officers (!), including tactics and history for each. And I've only got one battalion box!

So you've passed your Nerd Exam with flying colours.* Congrats, if that is no reason for celebration I don't know what is! ;)

So for all you loyal commanders of the Guard out there, how much do you get sucked into writing fluff for your armies? Tell us your horror stories about the sheer number of little plastic men you've collected to die for the Emperor.

No horror stories. It's quite weird - I am not much interested in Guard anymore since the latest codex came out.

*No offense intended!

Bloodknight
12-11-2009, 11:00
It's quite weird - I am not much interested in Guard anymore since the latest codex came out.

That happened to me, too. I quote myself from another thread:

Guard is a bit mixed, but I've got mostly victories with the new book, to a point that I had to take a break from the army; it became boring, especially since MechGuard is basically a giant dice fest without the 100-dice-per-assault shortcut of the Orks...you just have to roll 9 dice per Chimera, 3 times 3 dice (plus wounding, all at different S values), then the stuff inside, then the Ordnance, and if you really want to **** off people, take lots of small blasts so your shooting phase takes ages with about 30 actual models on the table...

I still add models that I like to the army, but playing them has got a bit old.

Murphy's law
12-11-2009, 11:07
This year i lost the love for guard.
I've sold my rather big Vostroyan army and never looked back.

dangermouse425
12-11-2009, 11:49
I've only recently (a few months) got into Guard, and I'm already considering rounding it off at ~2,000 pts and moving onto another force.
The only question that remains is which one to choose!

DaSpaceAsians
12-11-2009, 11:56
I'm trying to figure out how to go from 2000-2200pts to 3000pts while being really limited financially. I also think it's because of my guard army that I screwed my driving test twice and wound up not getting a driving license until 18. Should have studied instead of painting. The good side is that I managed to use the FUBAR educational system to my advantage and will soon do my army as a year long school project.

rustypaladin
12-11-2009, 12:09
Just because I expand my IG army by Apocalypse Data Sheets and not simple HQ, Troop, and Heavy slots doesn't mean I have a problem!

Er...maybe you have a point.

IG is my first army and I find myself unable to choose a second one. By January I should have a full Artillery Company to support my Imperial Shield Company. By March I should have finished fleshing out a Tank Company as well. Plastic Crack! Where does it end?

Eldoriath
12-11-2009, 13:12
Including my starter catachans that are wuite dead now, I've collected something like 300 IG infanterists (plus 10 rough riders) and some 10 vehicles.

orkz222
12-11-2009, 13:49
I ordered my 1st sq of DKOK engineers from FW 10+days ago, thinking of getting a leman russ demolisher... guess I'm on the path also hahaha

Commissar Vaughn
12-11-2009, 14:03
Well, my Guard hit 10k early last year: 6 infantry/airborne/engineering companys, and a single armoured company.

I thought this was a bit much, as its hard to store, carry and opponents capable of taking it on are few and far between. So I sold well over half of it to get it down to something more manegable....

2 years later and Im down to..er...well, about 10k again. And rising.
I shall probably have to face it: Here they'll stand and here they'll stay (over the hills and far away!)

MajorWesJanson
12-11-2009, 15:54
IT gets worse once Forgeworld becomes involved. Of course a Guard Regiment needs Naval support and a demi-legion of Titans for support...

don_mondo
12-11-2009, 18:07
Heh. I have no idea how many IG I have (old RT-era models). Whenever I need a particular model or unit I just dig through the cases until I find it, hasn't failed me yet. Heck, I found enough psykers and Necromunda wyrds and whatever to field two full psyker battle squads. Enough old Commissars that I'm thinking of fielding them as Veteran squads. And that's just the painted models, doesn't include teh 200-300 old metals and plastics in the unpainted box.
I did trim down my tanks recently, got rid of a bunch of old ones and started replacing them with new models. So I'm down to just under two double stacked 30" wide 12" deep shelfs of tanks.............

darker4308
12-11-2009, 18:15
One word. Girlfriend

jason_sation
12-11-2009, 20:27
One thing I'd love to do is have 3 full squads of Ogryn, just to play for fun. Of course, if I had that kind of money, would I really be spending it on Ogryn?

(yes!)

Sircyn
12-11-2009, 20:30
My last girl friend bought me more tanks!

Bloodknight
12-11-2009, 20:35
So does mine ;)

starlight
12-11-2009, 20:37
My god. I had no idea when getting into the Guard how much it sucks you in.

Welcome to the jungle...we've got fun and games... :D

I'm working on a full Battalion of 800 Cadians...plus armoured and artillery support. Two full FOCs... :eek:

One word. Girlfriend

She encourages my choice of harmless geek-hobbies* over ****-ups, cars, and stupid credit card debt. :p In fact, just last night she was trying to sort out how to fit a hobby area into her two-bedroom condo if we move in together. She was actually a bit disappointed when I said I'd put it all into storage until we found a bigger place.

We've agreed that when we own a house we each get our own hobby rooms. :D

Oh, and she's 5'10", a doctor, and a redhead... ;)

*miniatures and photography :D

madprophet
12-11-2009, 22:50
I can actually field an entire battalion and model just about any battalion in the regiment (and every company). I have developed a homeworld, religious beliefs, enemies, battle honors, markings, decorations, history... I blame TV Cartoons.

I have 200+ men, over a dozen ICVs and AFVs, an entire recon company (sentinels and salamanders), an air wing, emplaced artillery, landing craft not to mention scads of scenery including a 6x4 complete winter battlefield, Quonset huts, watchtower, minefields, tanktraps, command bunker and sufficient buildings for a fair sized city fight... but then again, for me the hobby is about the modeling and the visuals. If I am lucky, I get in 2-4 actual games in a year.

Seriously, as long as you are having fun its all good. That's the whole point of a hobby.

One word. Girlfriend

heheheh. My wife puts it this way - "He doesn't drink, smoke or fool around. When he say's he's gaming with the guys that's exactly where he is and he can take the kids to his hobby events giving me the day off. He spends about $25 a month on something he can do with the kids. Okay, so he's still 12 but of all possible vices..." :D

We've been married for 23 years and she's learned to live with my nerdly obsession with toy soldiers and I've learned to live with her cats. :p

What scares me is I work for the State and they are aware of my addiction and they STILL keep me on :confused:

starlight
12-11-2009, 23:03
I can actually field an entire battalion

I have 200+ men, over a dozen ICVs and AFVs, an entire recon company (sentinels and salamanders), etc, etc...

Seriously, as long as you are having fun its all good. That's the whole point of a hobby.

Generally speaking, at a minimum...

A Platoon is three Squads plus HQ,
A Company is three Platoons plus HQ
A Battalion is three Companies plus HQ and support elements

Generally speaking, you won't see a Battalion much under 500 soldiers... In the 40K FOC world, you're looking at at least two FOCs just to get the three minimum strength Companies of three Platoons... :)

Although your last sentiment is spot on... ;)

Col. Tartleton
12-11-2009, 23:32
Well, a "platoon" with its proper load outs is what, well over a hundred men.

You get your comms squad, numerous infantry squads, your 50 conscripts squad, your numerous specialist squads, heavy weapon squads, and everything. Then of course we need proper support units that are attached at a non dedicated level to the platoon like a tank squadron, some chimera transports or valks, a landing craft...

Six of those plus command and even more attached crap makes for a company. And I'd argue a half dozen of those make a battalion and few battalions get lumped into a regiment. Or a crap load of battalions if you want a proper one...

Did I mention the naval taskforce...?

No, and I won't.

starlight
13-11-2009, 00:10
I was talking minimums... :p

A full up Imperial Guard FOC runs in the 25,000 points range...:eek: :D

spacewolf_sven
13-11-2009, 00:16
I've got about 2000(ineffectual) pts all in rather noticeable black and yellow armour-try explaining that as camo. Fortunatly I haven't felt the need to think up heaps of fluff about commissar Yarrick-just all the hundred other starng things about my army-the colour scheme, the vostroyan commissars (in a cadian army), the lone sentinel(impulse buy).............

Bloodriver
13-11-2009, 01:18
I've only just started work on my Guard Army, but I know it's going to be a looooong project. My Chimera (the first of many, since it's a mech force) has nearly 1,000 bolt heads added, and I'm disappointed in myself for not biting the bullet and doing a full interior. The Vostroyan infantry are lovely models, but I'm one of those guys who's never happy unless it's converted. The amount of jeweller's saw blades I've broken cutting off heads, etc just doing the conversions for two squads is ridiculous, but I'm committed now - there's no turning back.

Hicks
13-11-2009, 01:30
I've only just started work on my Guard Army, but I know it's going to be a looooong project. My Chimera (the first of many, since it's a mech force) has nearly 1,000 bolt heads added, and I'm disappointed in myself for not biting the bullet and doing a full interior. The Vostroyan infantry are lovely models, but I'm one of those guys who's never happy unless it's converted. The amount of jeweller's saw blades I've broken cutting off heads, etc just doing the conversions for two squads is ridiculous, but I'm committed now - there's no turning back.

You can't post something like that without linking us to some pictures, you big tease.

march10k
13-11-2009, 01:36
She encourages my choice of harmless geek-hobbies* over ****-ups, cars, and stupid credit card debt.

Heh...I get GW, a modern muscle car, computers, AND booze. Life is good! Not to mention the government pays me to play with guns...

I can actually field an entire battalion and model just about any battalion in the regiment...I have 200+ men

Er...an entire 200 man battalion??? Well, maybe a military intelligence "battalion," or a finance one. But for infantry, you've barely got more than a company...and even a tank battalion will have over 400 men...

Well, a "platoon" with its proper load outs is what, well over a hundred men.

You get your comms squad, numerous infantry squads, your 50 conscripts squad, your numerous specialist squads, heavy weapon squads, and everything. Then of course we need proper support units that are attached at a non dedicated level to the platoon like a tank squadron, some chimera transports or valks, a landing craft...

??? Uh, those options in the codex are just that, options. Taking all of them in one platoon doesn't fit IG fluff at all... Suggesting that you need all of them to have a "proper" platoon is misleading in the extreme. Wait, you were joking, right?;)

Col. Tartleton
13-11-2009, 01:50
Ya of course...

I mean realistically they shouldn't even be attached to platoons. Special Weapon squads would be attached to line squads I imagine, a Hw squad should be formed into platoons attached to the company, veterans should be an upgrade.

Stuff like that.

starlight
13-11-2009, 01:53
Heh...I get GW, a modern muscle car, computers, AND booze. Life is good! Not to mention the government pays me to play with guns...

I get GW and a photography obsession (she didn't even flinch when I mentioned $50,000;)). Twelve years in uniform was enough...now it's time to enjoy some family time and volunteer with the Cadets. :)

Er...an entire 200 man battalion??? Well, maybe a military intelligence "battalion," or a finance one. But for infantry, you've barely got more than a company...and even a tank battalion will have over 400 men...

That's why I'm planning on at least 800...:angel: ...for the first two FOCs... ;) I've got four planned...:eek: One for the Armoured Company and one for the Mech Veterans...

What? The Legio Phoenix Templars (my Successor Marine Chapter...yes all of it) need some friends. ;)

madprophet
13-11-2009, 02:54

In real life? Absolutely!

In 40k, I can field 1 HQ + 3 platoons (command, 2 rifle squads, 1 hvy wpns, 1 special wpns each) and I have an infantry company. (I can easily do this twice over) I can reinforce each company with a pathfinder (stormtrooper) platoon. That works out to a little over 125 figures for a company

10 tanks = an armor co.

1 hq in chimera, + 2 Vets in Chimera squads + 2 Sentinel Squadrons + 1 Salamander Squadron = 1 recon co.

Battalion command = High Command Squad in a chimera

Hence 1 battalion. I also can field the battalion motor pool, intel shop, mechanicus shop, battalion aid station, battalion artillery battery, military government section, signals section, and chaplaincy (mostly non-IG figures but part of the army)

Some GW fluff has a platoon of about 100 men which is way over strength by modern standards. Most platoons are half that. A modern US Army platoon is commanded by a commissioned officer (Lieutenant, O-1/O-2) and assisted by a Platoon Sergeant who is a Sergeant First Class (E-7).

A Platoon consists of two to four Squads/Sections depending upon the type of unit. For example, an Infantry Platoon consists of three Squads. A Mechanized Infantry Platoon consists of four fighting vehicles (M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle), divided into two Sections. Each vehicle holds 8-9 soldiers. A Tank Platoon consists of four tanks (M1A2/A3 Abrams Main Battle Tank), organized into two Sections of two tanks each. Total personnel is 16-44.

If a battalion isn't enough, I am modeling the few unit choices from the codex I don't have (Ratlings, Ogryns, Hellhound Variants, and Valkyries)

iPaint
13-11-2009, 03:00
I'd imagine a full-strength Imperial Guard Infantry Company to look something like this, or at least at a minimum. But the nice thing about the Guard is that there's simply too many casualties at any given time for a company to be at full strength. All said and done about 250 men per company. Outside of 40k FOC, the Heavy Weapon teams would come from a Heavy Weapons Platoon, with its own command. Special Weapons teams would be rolled into the Platoon Command squad. Figure 10% of the company would merit Veteran Status.

Company Command: 5
Veteran Squad: 10
Veteran Squad: 10
Advisors: 3-5

Platoon Command: 5
Infantry Squad: 10
Heavy Weapons Squad: 6
Special Weapons Squad: 6

For an Infantry Battalion, I'd imagine 4-6 Infantry Companies, so that's around 1000+ men, 1500 for a full blown 6 companies, plus whatever Battalion-level command and support would be needed. I think you would find some more Heavy Weapon and Special Weapon teams that would be attached to a Company by the Battalion command on an as-needed basis.

3-4 Battalions for a Regiment, and boom, we have about 6000 guardsmen, officers, advisors, what have you per Regiment.

Just my thoughts on it.

~iPaint

iPaint
13-11-2009, 03:06
Some GW fluff has a platoon of about 100 men which is way over strength by modern standards. Most platoons are half that. A modern US Army platoon is commanded by a commissioned officer (Lieutenant, O-1/O-2) and assisted by a Platoon Sergeant who is a Sergeant First Class (E-7).

Ninja'd while I typed my musings.:D

I can believe that Guard regiments of the 41st millennium would be much larger than modern regiments, if only for the fact that there's untold billions of humans in the 40k universe to draft into the Guard. Plus, that whole human-wave mentality that's the iconic image of the Guard. They are the Emperor's Hammer after all.

~iPaint

march10k
13-11-2009, 03:16

A Platoon consists of two to four Squads/Sections depending upon the type of unit. For example, an Infantry Platoon consists of three Squads. A Mechanized Infantry Platoon consists of four fighting vehicles (M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle), divided into two Sections. Each vehicle holds 8-9 soldiers. A Tank Platoon consists of four tanks (M1A2/A3 Abrams Main Battle Tank), organized into two Sections of two tanks each. Total personnel is 16-44.

Thanks for the lesson;) But I have to correct you on one thing...it's well known that the maximum troop carrying capacity of a bradley is "one more". Oh, and there's not (yet) any such thing as an M1A3...but I did have my very own platoon of M1A1s...twice, not so very long ago. The bradley, on the other hand, is on the A3 variant already. Of course, it also comes in air defense, cavalry, and forward observer variants. In my last job, I owned three of the scout brads, four "b-fists" (the spotter variety), and one infantry brad (the battalion commander's personal track)...but now I'm just showing off.

I mean realistically they shouldn't even be attached to platoons. Special Weapon squads would be attached to line squads I imagine, a Hw squad should be formed into platoons attached to the company, veterans should be an upgrade.

~shrug~ If you wanted to emulate reality, each line platoon would have three line squads, as well as a heavy weapons squad (heavy bolters or maybe autocannons)...in a dismounted platoon. For mech, no dismounted heavy weapons, they wouldn't add much to the fight when you've got four infantry fighting vehicles looking over your shoulder. You'd also have heavy weapons squads working directly for the company HQ, especially a mortar squad.

I can believe that Guard regiments of the 41st millennium would be much larger than modern regiments, if only for the fact that there's untold billions of humans in the 40k universe to draft into the Guard.

Classic non sequitur...larger population base=larger regiments? Why does it automatically follow that the regiments are larger? I'd say it's safe to assume that there are more of them...Mind you, I think you're probably right in guessing that 40k regiments are larger than their present-day equivalents, but you haven't presented real evidence...

MrP
13-11-2009, 03:57
Ooh, let's not get on to what "Regiment" means in 40K. It seems to mean battalion, regiment, brigade, division and corps, and even things like the Royal Tank Regiment. How they organise staff officers is beyond all imagining.

Bloodriver
13-11-2009, 04:55
You can't post something like that without linking us to some pictures, you big tease.

Sorry, my bad!

http://s686.photobucket.com/albums/vv224/adamtc44/Warhammer%2040k/Vostroyans/

The two main variables with the Vostroyan models are gasmasks (on/off) and bayonets (fixed/sheathed). It seems that these should be in accordance with the squad sergeant's orders, so the whole squad will have the same status regarding masks and bayonets. The plume and cord on the fur hats will be coloured to identify the squad and platoon. The autocannon is largely inspired by the FW Death Korps models. The wheeled carriage seemed particularly appropriate given the Vostroyans' Russian inspiration and the fact that the Russians mounted their machine-guns on wheeled mounts during both World Wars. I used wheels from a 1:35 scale Stuart tank kit.

The dudes with the funny helmets (carabinier helmets, actually) are Stormtroopers, hence the modified lasguns (hot-shot). I tried to make the Meltagun and the Sergeant's Bolter as Vostroyan-looking as I could.

There's not much I did to the HQ figures - the Psyker got a fur hat and a big droopy moustache, and the Commissar got a bolt pistol (because plasma pistols aren't worth 15 points) and a moustache, since I don't think Vostroyans respect a man without a mo', and Commissars are all about respect.

I have a few friends who are interested in this project, and I will be e-mailing them updates every week or two. If you want to be added to the list send me a PM.

Laughingmonk
13-11-2009, 06:11
I do not play guard. I do however, play Empire for fantasy, and I am very much in the same boat.

I have hundreds of state troops, 60 great swords (with another 60 planned) 32 knights (waiting for new knight kit!), 12 pistoliers, 8 outriders, 12 captains, 8 wizards, 6 master engineers, 6 priests, 4 cannons, 2 mortars, 30 flagellants, 140 free company, 2 helstorm rocket batteries, 2 helblasters, and the list goes on and keeps growing.

That is my Averland force. Obviously (obviously) , they need outside support. I have plans for Altdorf, Ostland, Nuln, and Stirland Auxiliary companies. I also plan to have a full on cavalry army of knights of the blazing sun when the new knight kit inevitably comes out. Until then, I will finish my first artillery battalion (6 guns, 2 mortars, 2 helstorm, 2 helblasters) and do a second Auxiliary Artillery battalion from Nuln and Ostland.

If they give us pikemen in the next book, I will begin work on abbreviated tercio formations (abb. because even I draw the line at 3,000 man formations)

I don't know what it is about Empire/Guard. They just speak to us, I guess.

chadenej
13-11-2009, 09:02
Funny you post this thread... I ordered last week:
-7 chimeras
-2 new hellhounds
-2 new demolishers
-2 valkyries
-2 medusas
-2 hydras
-1 manticore
-1 baneblade
to make my new Vostroyan army. My current Cadian force isn't finished yet, but I feel the urge to make another army.
I know that I'll never have the time to complete them all quickly, but I keep the hope to finish them anyway

I think it's like a virus or something

Besides, the new kits (HH and demo) are great and a pleasure to build. Damn you Games Workshop :mad:

Max1mum
13-11-2009, 09:06
It's very meen of me to say this now, after you spend your money.

But why on earth would you then get new Chimm's ? Wait until the new kit comes out. You can allready how wonderfull that's going to look by having a close eye on the hellhound. You have plenty of stuff to do build and work on. So you might as well wait a bit. ( its what i'm waiting for :P )

chadenej
13-11-2009, 09:15
Yeah the new chim will be great, but after all I found their was minor differences between old and new (CAD pictures).
Another reason is I live in Europe (€) and buy them in US. Change is becoming more and more favourable.

Vaktathi
13-11-2009, 09:18
It's very meen of me to say this now, after you spend your money.

But why on earth would you then get new Chimm's ? Wait until the new kit comes out. You can allready how wonderfull that's going to look by having a close eye on the hellhound. You have plenty of stuff to do build and work on. So you might as well wait a bit. ( its what i'm waiting for :P )

Nobody has any idea when a new chimera kit will be out, and if the Demolisher and Hellhound kits are anything to go by, they'll lose their accessory sprues and probably see a price hike.

Bunnahabhain
13-11-2009, 09:26
Ooh, let's not get on to what "Regiment" means in 40K. It seems to mean battalion, regiment, brigade, division and corps, and even things like the Royal Tank Regiment. How they organise staff officers is beyond all imagining.

Hang you mean, in a long established country, full of confusing and often archaic habits and traditions, with a military that has changed shape somewhat in the several hundred years in some cases since some units were established( ie most of the infantry/cavalry), or since the relevant technology was invented, you end up with names and structures that have very little to do with the actual purpose or strength of the unit concerned. Let alone all those units drawn from countries that have been conquered/gained independence, but still do/do not serve with the army..

Can't see how this might apply to the Imperium at all. Not one little bit...

Tves
13-11-2009, 09:27
Ahhh the guard life.

It's true, once you dip your toes into the guard pool, there is no getting out again. If not for my scattered brained mentality and lazy painting habits I'd probably have spent more on it. Started out with the Apoc company box, been adding armour to it ever since. worked out the organization for the entire regiment atleast two or three times, changing it about each time. Coming from a tiny country with no military history what so ever (and no military at all) wrapping my head about the particulars does become a challenge.

As for the regiment question, look at napoleonic regiments in the British army, thats where I think they get it from. Obviously they ment division though.

Max1mum
13-11-2009, 09:38
Nobody has any idea when a new chimera kit will be out, and if the Demolisher and Hellhound kits are anything to go by, they'll lose their accessory sprues and probably see a price hike.

Those are good points....

They will how ever also get all the weapon options and look better, wether or not those will make enough of a difference i don't know

~re-runs the entire thought proces of wether to get new chims now or another time~

silentsmoke
13-11-2009, 10:36
Er take at look at my guard army. I sold my Red Scorpions as I wanted more...

Might do a background for my stuff - that's if I ever get the time to so collecting for a week!

Lord Solar Plexus
13-11-2009, 12:11
I do not play guard. I do however, play Empire for fantasy, and I am very much in the same boat....

Ah, well, Empire...now *that* has recently piqued my interest as well.

If they give us pikemen in the next book, I will begin work on abbreviated tercio formations (abb. because even I draw the line at 3,000 man formations)

You could do a couple of mangas. Also, you could use pikemen and play them as either halberdiers or spearmen if you like.

Vaktathi
13-11-2009, 12:33
For some reason, I'm totally into the Imperial Guard, but for the life of me, I can't stand Empire in fantasy. It just holds absolutely no appeal for me, and I don't know why.

I think it's the uniforms. The renaissance style clothing looks like a clown costume to me and they just hold no visual interest at all for me.

Sir_Lunchalot
13-11-2009, 15:08
I think my sig says it all.

Light of the Emperor
13-11-2009, 15:15
Up until my guard, I had collected and painted only metal armies. I swore that I wouldn't do that again...

Then the Vostroyans came out.

200+ metal models later, I find the journey worth it. The force has customization in every squad from hand swaps to resculpts. I also have FW tanks, thudd guns, heavy mortars, etc. It really doesn't end.

Laughingmonk
13-11-2009, 15:44
For some reason, I'm totally into the Imperial Guard, but for the life of me, I can't stand Empire in fantasy. It just holds absolutely no appeal for me, and I don't know why.

I think it's the uniforms. The renaissance style clothing looks like a clown costume to me and they just hold no visual interest at all for me.

Funny you say that, because I have the same problem with the guard. Their infantry is ok (minus catachans), but I absolutely cannot stand any of their vehicles.

MrP
13-11-2009, 15:51
Hang you mean, in a long established country, full of confusing and often archaic habits and traditions, with a military that has changed shape somewhat in the several hundred years in some cases since some units were established( ie most of the infantry/cavalry), or since the relevant technology was invented, you end up with names and structures that have very little to do with the actual purpose or strength of the unit concerned. Let alone all those units drawn from countries that have been conquered/gained independence, but still do/do not serve with the army..

Can't see how this might apply to the Imperium at all. Not one little bit...

I can't argue with that! :D

I recall as a child being repeatedly confused. As soon as I'd learned that regiments where manoeuvre elements in the ACW, I found out that they weren't in the British Army, which used battalions (well, for the infantry, er). So I assumed the Yanks were being odd. Then I looked into European formations and discovered it was us! :D