PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angel storm??

CherryMan
11-11-2009, 22:00
So.. I was thinking on getting a Land speeder Storm to my Dark Angels army, I usually field it as a regular marine army, and I have loved the idea of a land speeder transport from the first time I heard about it!

And with the model being out, and looking totally awesome I had some ideas of my own, and some that you might bring:)

So, first of.. where do I place the storm in the DA chapter? I was thinking on fitting it with all the appropriate rawenving glyphs and icons, and then replacing the driver with a fully fledged ravenwing, showing that there is no way in hell the ravenwing would ever lend a vehicle to a scout squad without proper supervision!

The back story of the squad will be that its a true front liner, lying way ahead of the main army, scouting out the enemy weeks in advance and with speed, skill and tactics overthrow lightly armed battle objectives.

I would make the squad stand out by making them more individual to one another. For example, of a five man squad, one would be the Sergeant, one a basic medic (nothing rulewise, but it would look cool as hell, showing this squad being out on its own for months at a time), one wielding a heavy weapon, one basic grunt, and one as a amo feeder to the heavy weapon guy (again, nothing rulewise, just pure awesomeness!).

This would make the squad stand out a bit over you're ordinary scouts, and fitted with a storm that would get some additional carrying bags, some strapped on cloth and stuff (tents, battle gear, you name it). Basically fitted with everything you would need to survive in the wild. I'm also thinking on magnetizing together the scouts on the storm, so when empty, you could remove them leaving only the storm, and fielding the based scout squad.

What do you think of this idea so far? any more tips and tricks that would make this unit stand out is welcome!

grissom2006
11-11-2009, 22:28
Well for a starter the storm is for Scouts not full Space Marines so it's a scout company transport and nothing to do with the Ravenwing. Scouts are not going to get told about the Fallen in any shape or form. If you pick up a copy of the Angels of Death Codex you'll find that the Ravenwing wasn't the only Company to get bikes and such also.

Brady
11-11-2009, 22:35
Raven wing are usually only summoned if the commander thinks one of the fallen is there. So they would no why there going and thats not to take over an objective. But it could happen! Part from that its a pretty cool idea

Brady
11-11-2009, 22:40
Well for a starter the storm is for Scouts not full Space Marines so it's a scout company transport and nothing to do with the Ravenwing. Scouts are not going to get told about the Fallen in any shape or form. If you pick up a copy of the Angels of Death Codex you'll find that the Ravenwing wasn't the only Company to get bikes and such also.

good point. Only one man knows the true secret so i dont think a scout would.
but then you could say they are proper raven only they sacrificed armour for extra equipment or something

shabbadoo
12-11-2009, 00:18
The Land Speeder Storm would be in Scout Company colors(i.e. Dark Angels Green), not Ravenwing colors. If you are going to use it, best to think of it as part of a Scout's overall training, such that the the best Land Speeder Storm crews will likely be recruited into the Ravenwing, while most Scouts will instead go to the 3rd-9th Companies. If you are also going to use Scout Bikers, they would be in Scout Company colors as well, and again the best of them would likely end up being recruited into the Ravenwing. I am very much hoping these two units make it into the next codex, as they fit into the Dark Angels training program better than they do in any other chapter, generic or otherwise. Nobody else has a special Company formation made up of Bikes and Land Speeders. Seems to be a "Duh!" thing thing to me. :D

Corporal Chaos
12-11-2009, 02:52
Remember that scouts are an elite choice in a DA army.

Beast
12-11-2009, 07:35
Also, can they use the Storm while using the DA Codex?

Bartali
12-11-2009, 08:34
Nope, would have to be a friendly agreement with your opponent or use the SM dex

shabbadoo
12-11-2009, 09:58
Scouts shouldn't be Elites though, besides which what FOC slot they take up does nothing to contradict the fact that they are the chapter's n00bs. Dark Angels Scouts are are not elite veterans like Wolf Scouts. They are just your average, run-of-the-mill Scouts(i.e. Space Marine trainees).

Sir_Turalyon
12-11-2009, 11:05
WS4 BS4 elite n00bs. Fact that recon is domain of Ravenwing rather then scouts means they make less use of them and can afford sending only most trained few into battle. And due to suspitious and untrustworthy nature of Dark Angels they may only be leting their scouts into real battle when they are almost fully trained (i.e. they can be trusted - pure speculation here). But CherryMan said he'll be using Codex:Ultramarines, so it's irrevelant to discussion.

As for original question, I too agree you should paint it in 10th company colours. Ferrying scouts is not in Ravenwing's job description, and they don't have absolute monopoly on bikes and speeders eighter. They just make most of codex bike / speeder / recon units redundant and rarely seen. Librarians/chaplains bikes are another example of not-Ravenwing fast vehicles. And wouldn't it be fun to paint one speeder green for a change?

Edit: On secound thought, green scout speeder with black Ravenwing pilot sounds even more fun to paint. So that it's not Ravenwing using their speeders to ferry scouts, but relegating a pilot / instructor to man scout's company's few own land speeders.

shabbadoo
12-11-2009, 11:35
WS4 BS4 elite n00bs. Fact that recon is domain of Ravenwing rather then scouts means they make less use of them and can afford sending only most trained few into battle. And due to suspitious and untrustworthy nature of Dark Angels they may only be leting their scouts into real battle when they are almost fully trained (i.e. they can be trusted - pure speculation here). But CherryMan said he'll be using Codex:Ultramarines, so it's irrevelant to discussion.

That means nothing, seeing as those are not updated stats. There is nothing more "elite" about Dark Angels Scouts than the Scouts of any other chapter. That needs to be kept in mind. Also, recon is not sole domain of the Ravenwing. Scouts and Ravenwing both do recon, though Ravenwing now have an additional ulterior motive for doing so. All chapters let their Scouts fight when they are fully trained. Experiencing a variety of personal, deadly combat is the crucible which transforms WS3 BS 3 Scouts into WS4 BS4 battle brothers who are worthy of donning power armor. The only thing of note about current Scout stats is that the vanilla version of Scouts actually makes of point of showing this stat-wise. The difference between a Scout and a full-fledged Battle Brother is no longer just about the type of armor that they wear, which is a very good representation of things in my opinion.

shandy
12-11-2009, 12:52
The way I justify Scouts being elite to myself when it comes to my DA army is that these are the scouts that Ravenwing make use of.
Why would Ravenwing make use of them- well for a start the Fallen targets they have generally aren't wondering around on their own- they tend to have followers, a base of some kind etc. Now there is only so much scouting that you can do on a bike or in a landspeeder (which is probably why Ravenwing does not have infiltrate) due to the noise. Therefore they use highly trained scouts to probe defences, confirm location of enemy HQ units (i.e. get a location of their target). Ravenwing then move in on the primary locations they believe their target to be in and plan the lightning assault with Deathwing.
So the scouts are effectively seconded to Ravenwing as a support function- they don't need to know about the Fallen simply they are scouting an enemy force.

spaint2k
12-11-2009, 14:45
It seems like the OP fields his DA as regular marines, so some of the arguments above are probably not relevant.

As for the question of how to make them stand out... Well, there are definitely some creative ways you can model the scouts onto bases by strategic use of terrain features for them to casually lean against/on. Done right, it'll look really good.

From a background point of view, I think you could perhaps say that these are simply lightly armoured Ravenwing marines, rather than scouts. I know it doesn't really explain the reduced BS and WS of Codex scouts but I don't feel it's especially important.

CherryMan
12-11-2009, 19:08
Ty for the many replies, I will most likely follow the tip that this speeder is part of the scout companies, and paint it in DA-Green. But when I start this project up, I will be sure to send in some pictures as well:D I will most likely fit the speeder with DA glyphs and icons, just to make it look cooler thou!